ADVERTISEMENT

Pay for.play

Rhino1973

Getting the Hang of It
Jul 24, 2019
People we are entering what might be the most challenging time in collegiate sports fandom. I honestly don't think proponents of paying athletes have thought about the never-ending list of cons that come with it. I'm not against paying athletes I just don't believe there is a realistic way to do it without completely f-ing up sports as we know it. The fallout will be mind boggling. From attaching the employee label and the taxissues that come with it, or the right to unionize, to cancellationof non revenue sports, to gender equality issues. Shools charging base prices for being coached by certain coaches. Penalties for academic shortcomings . the list goes on and on followed by the unpresidented amount of lawsuits filed by students of all kinds that would paralyze court systems. The rabbit hole is infinitely deep. I mean this thing will have long reaching arms. Imagine the issues to come at the high school level. All efforts will be geared towards maximum exposure. We often hear about kids that were unknown recruits before such n such school offered him. No more. Parent will do whatever it takes ( legal or not ) to get their kid in a school with exposure. And so much more. This is gonna be UGLY.

All I care about is
  1. The contests involve legitimate college students. That means real students with real majors (“sports management” and other such made-for-jocks majors don’t count) making normal process toward a real degree.
  2. The contests are on the up-and-up (no gamblers, point shaving, etc).
Other than that, if you want to pay kids to come to school and also be athletes, fine. In fact, students who are athletes should be able to do anything any other students can do. Hold a job, get paid for an autograph, etc.

All I care about is
  1. The contests involve legitimate college students. That means real students with real majors (“sports management” and other such made-for-jocks majors don’t count) making normal process toward a real degree.
  2. The contests are on the up-and-up (no gamblers, point shaving, etc).
Other than that, if you want to pay kids to come to school and also be athletes, fine. In fact, students who are athletes should be able to do anything any other students can do. Hold a job, get paid for an autograph, etc.
I personally take exception to your use of “sports management degree”. My son played D2 baseball, earned a BS degree in sports management and is working as a recreational therapist aide (plans, directs and coordinates programs for persons with injuries with guidance from the doctors). He also serves as marketing director for their business while visiting college campuses and hospitals to market their services. In addition, he serves as the head baseball coach and strength and conditioning coach for a private high school.

TLDR

I am ok with a small stipend for ALL athletes but thats about it. You get a free education which is quite a bit of money at some schools.

given the present state of this country. People whining if their kid doesn't get this or that, filing lawsuits for stupid shit crying about someone offending them or equality. Look I am in no way a chovanist nor a bigot but when someone starts bitching that the rowing team should be paid too so it will be fair ( and Mark my word they will bitch). I have no problem bluntly telling them how ridiculous they sound. We already have transgender boys using girls restrooms in schools. You think it won't come from all directions when certain student athletes are being paid. Problem is it doesn't matter one bit that it's fair . I know I sound awful but sometimes in the real world things get crazy and people better be prepared. I personally think cheating will reach a new level . I think tax fraud will be widespread. I mean they will have to reclassify styles as employees them schools will be subject to labor laws etc. Can you imagine a kid filing a complaint on a coach for harassment and the coach being let go go it. All this kinda stuff will be the norm. No more good job slaps on the ass also how easy will it be for a player to charge $ for their autograph or picture when no one is looking. I just hate it. We'll see former players trying to get compensation for their time in school. Filing lawsuits if necessary. Son of a

given the present state of this country. People whining if their kid doesn't get this or that, filing lawsuits for stupid shit crying about someone offending them or equality. Look I am in no way a chovanist nor a bigot but when someone starts bitching that the rowing team should be paid too so it will be fair ( and Mark my word they will bitch). I have no problem bluntly telling them how ridiculous they sound. We already have transgender boys using girls restrooms in schools. You think it won't come from all directions when certain student athletes are being paid. Problem is it doesn't matter one bit that it's fair . I know I sound awful but sometimes in the real world things get crazy and people better be prepared. I personally think cheating will reach a new level . I think tax fraud will be widespread. I mean they will have to reclassify styles as employees them schools will be subject to labor laws etc. Can you imagine a kid filing a complaint on a coach for harassment and the coach being let go go it. All this kinda stuff will be the norm. No more good job slaps on the ass also how easy will it be for a player to charge $ for their autograph or picture when no one is looking. I just hate it. We'll see former players trying to get compensation for their time in school. Filing lawsuits if necessary. Son of a
First of all not sure what transgender bathrooms have to do with the rowing team. Nobody said the rowing team should be paid money but say if the men’s team is paid and the women’s team is not, that’s not equal. If every person on the men’s rowing team gets a full scholarship then every women on the women’s rowing should also.

I can't believe people have the nerve to want equality in a country where we are supposed to be equal. What exactly does anything in your "good ole days" rant have to do with playing players. The "good ole days" weren't great for everybody fwiw.

First of all not sure what transgender bathrooms have to do with the rowing team. Nobody said the rowing team should be paid money but say if the men’s team is paid and the women’s team is not, that’s not equal. If every person on the men’s rowing team gets a full scholarship then every women on the women’s rowing should also.

That’s exactly where this is going. Just because your not a profit generating sport doesn’t mean they won’t think they shouldn’t get paid. This is going to destroy college sports and I won’t be a party to it. I’m out the day we (UofL) start paying athletes. Because if the fans don’t buy tickets there won’t be a need for athletes, so good luck to them. I’ll just find something else to spend money on.

Reactions: Mayoman

I can't believe people have the nerve to want equality in a country where we are supposed to be equal. What exactly does anything in your "good ole days" rant have to do with playing players. The "good ole days" weren't great for everybody fwiw.

Hm the equality question? That is a very complicated question especially when it comes to paying players. Or anything for that matter. It is not cut and dry.

Reactions: kentuckyshame
That’s exactly where this is going. Just because your not a profit generating sport doesn’t mean they won’t think they shouldn’t get paid. This is going to destroy college sports and I won’t be a party to it. I’m out the day we (UofL) start paying athletes. Because if the fans don’t buy tickets there won’t be a need for athletes, so good luck to them. I’ll just find something else to spend money on.

The Cali ruling doesn't actually mean we need to pay players. Its allows them to make money off their likenesses. I'm okay with some stipend for players as long as it equal across the sport meaning Ohio st. can't pay more than UofL. Its a hard argument imo to go on about amateurism when the only thing that is amateur is the player's compensation. The ncaa and the schools are making billions, I'm not sure why the players making any cash is a bridge too far.

The Cali ruling doesn't actually mean we need to pay players. Its allows them to make money off their likenesses. I'm okay with some stipend for players as long as it equal across the sport meaning Ohio st. can't pay more than UofL. Its a hard argument imo to go on about amateurism when the only thing that is amateur is the player's compensation. The ncaa and the schools are making billions, I'm not sure why the players making any cash is a bridge too far.

I understand the Cali soon to be ruling, but that’s just the beginning. I personally think the universities should stop using the players, numbers, etc as advertising tools. Because truth be told it helps the student athletes as much as the universities; argument over.

And I love the Biles argument and yours “The Universities are making Billions”. Well where’s that money going? Into stadiums, Arenas, Academic Facilities, Dorms, etc. For who? The student athletes. And on top of that the coaching staffs, Nutritionists, trainers, food, education, books, travel, healthcare, etc. For who the student athletes. So, I think they are getting paid.

What’s about to happen is the student athletes are going to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. And who will it hurt, the student athletes that won’t get an education without sports. Which is the bulk of student athletes because most will never play professional sports.

1) Title IX. You pay the men in the two revenue producing sports, you have to pay everyone. (I specifically said revenue producing, not profitable -- since most programs and athletic departments are not profitable).

2) Boosters. Every major program with big pocket donors will be paying virtually every player in the two revenue sports for appearance fees, tie-ins, associations, etc. In other words, everything that the NCAA has been trying to eliminate to create a theoretical level playing field.

It is a preposterous idea that has FAR reaching implications that have not been well thought out. Just like most "feel good" legislation.

The ncaa and the schools are making billions, I'm not sure why the players making any cash is a bridge too far.

The NCAA doesn't make money off football. All the television contracts for the regular season are with the conferences and schools. The NCAA doesn't see a dime of that money. They also don't see any money from bowl games. The bowls are independent organizations. The NCAA doesn't get money from the CFP either. Again, an independent organization. The only money the NCAA gets from football is from the FCS/div. II/ div III playoffs. They only get basketball money from the tournament, only baseball money from the CWS, etc.

Fortunately, there aren't that many big time athletic programs in California and New York. Assuming those two states legislate PFP, schools like USC, UCLA, Stanford, and Syracuse will no longer compete in the NCAA.

Dislocating for a short time, but not the end of the world...

The Play for Pay crowd are not taking into consideration the Pandora’s Box that they are opening. There is already a “stipend” given to scholarship players and I believe it’s called “laundry money”. But whatever it’s called it is where any PFP money will be distributed. And I don’t have an issue with a relatively small increase in that money but a true PFP as California is calling for is beyond the pale. Are they saying that all tuition, books, housing and food is nothing? And do any of those folks have any understanding of the Workmen’s Compensation Laws in the USA? And what would happen to the baseball guys that might be getting a 1/2 or 1/3 scholarship. The vast majority of schools cannot afford a major increase in expenses for college athletics and this type of rule would bankrupt those athletic departments.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT