ADVERTISEMENT

Party Deck Admission

ShortCreek

Three-Star Poster
Jul 17, 2008
Just saw on Twitter a discussion about charging separate admission to the party deck. I wish TJ and the powers to be would consider this to get more butts in the seats. If not this season, then next year! PLEASE!

Reactions: CardFanBudMan
Just saw on Twitter a discussion about charging separate admission to the party deck. I wish TJ and the powers to be would consider this to get more butts in the seats. If not this season, then next year! PLEASE!

Unless Jurich himself was proposing it, the discussion was a wasted effort. The party deck is there for people to party, to buy concessions, and use the restroom. I shouldn't have to pay $50 for my seat near the party deck and then buy another ticket just to buy concessions and use the bathroom on the party deck.

Unless Jurich himself was proposing it, the discussion was a wasted effort. The party deck is there for people to party, to buy concessions, and use the restroom. I shouldn't have to pay $50 for my seat near the party deck and then buy another ticket just to buy concessions and use the bathroom on the party deck.

I concur that thought!

Reactions: xmlmetal
They should require that people on the party deck not wear gear supporting the opponents. Last time I went to a game at PJCS was against UK, and the deck was swarming with blue necks.

Reactions: Louisvillian
I like the idea of the party deck in theory but now that UofL has had it for about 5 years or so, I've never really personally gotten to enjoy it. It is so swamped I never even go to it. The numbers of people that camp out there and never leave make it to where (1) when you go to it you literally can't see the game. The deck curves from the west end all the way around to the east end but there is a mob of people that literally stand there, three or four people deep from before kickoff until the game ends so if you want to just grab a hot dog and watch a few minutes of the game from that view you can't, you can't even get near the rail even the there is probably 300 or more feet worth of rail. (2) Even though the open, flat space of the deck is immense there are so many thousands of people mulling around the entire time you can't even move. It's like trying to walk through the great lawn during Thunder Over Louisville.

Basically for me the Deck is something I just stay away from. It is absolutely so swamped by people who just want to stay there for the entire game that it is totally unusable for someone who just wants to pop up there, by a coke and dog and watch fifteen or so minutes from a different perspective.

I also don't understand what the purpose of those two giant holes in the curves leading to the east and west side are that cause bottlenecks. You're in the middle of the deck which is roughly 100 feet or more deep and you start walking to either the east or west side and then the 100 feet wide walkway suddenly pinches down to 8 feet and everyone clogs up and is hindered. There is just a giant, square hole that you can look down into and see all the way down to the ground. Why its there I don't know.

Charging money seems ridiculous. There's a type of fan that will never stay in their seat so it is wasted energy to dwell on. There will always be thousands that spend most of the game mulling around outside by the concessions and not watching. It doesn't matter when I try to sneak out to quickly buy something and then get back to my seat, end of first quarter, middle of second, middle of the third, start of the fourth, there are always thousands and thousands of fans mulling around making huge crowds.

I can remember popping out to the concessions at WVU one year and at Clemson two years ago. It was a ghost town. No one was out there. They were all watching the game. I'm used to it now (with the Louisville fan base) and no longer marvel at it but it is annoying when it comes up that there is such a huge number of people at games who don't seem to care about the game and just clog up any movement at all times. 50,000 Louisville crowds so often look like 33,000 crowds because thousands of people just stand around outside not watching the game for 2 hours, or they spend 40 minutes watching the game and cheering and 2 hours getting 10 beers throughout the game.

As a die hard fan of the game itself, just like numerous other college cities and NFL cities (all who love football the nations most popular sport) it is always perplexing that at least one third of our fan base seems to be more interested in just drinking and hanging out than football game itself. It is the most popular sport in the entire country, from east to west, north to south everyone loves football and is rabid about it. Louisville has been serious about football since 1985 and had its first big successful season after Schnellenburger's arrival in 1988 (8-3), first big bowl win in 1990 (10-1-1, that's been over 30 years), I'm not sure why tons of ravenous football fans haven't emerged by now (those that love to drink but to where the game itself is the most important thing), not more than the 25,000 base or so of those that love football (which Louisville has had ever since around 1990 or so). It is weird. I don't think I'll ever understand it. I get antsy when I'm stuck in a line and can't see the game, I want to get back to where I can see what is happening. I look around at the thousands of people causing these long lines and blocking me from just walking back to my seat who just stand around everywhere clogging up the traffic flow and freedom of movement everywhere, they seem as though they couldn't care less about the game and are oblivious that there is even a game in progress. The ENTIRE nation freaks over football. Why is Louisville immune to this? I have no idea.

Last edited:
I heard Jurich on a radio interview a while back say he loves the party deck. He likes the atmosphere up there.

People need to get over it. It's here to stay. While many college football programs are having declining attendance....we seem to be increasing. Who cares if they are on the deck or in their seats. I prefer to watch from my seat but if some want to be on deck so be it....better than being in the green lot!

I heard Jurich on a radio interview a while back say he loves the party deck. He likes the atmosphere up there.

People need to get over it. It's here to stay. While many college football programs are having declining attendance....we seem to be increasing. Who cares if they are on the deck or in their seats. I prefer to watch from my seat but if some want to be on deck so be it....better than being in the green lot!

Yes, at least people are inside the stadium, and not in the concourses or parking lot.

I finally have to agree. At least they are there.

I've decided it doesn't matter if the rest of the FB world will never take us seriously when they see thousands of empty seats on TV, and we announce/have 60k through the gates. They will simply say "yeah, sure they did".

But, to quote Hillary, "What difference does it make?"

Other than never having a shot at Game Day.

Or impressing recruits

IMO Louisville culture is Derby Culture. 10+ hours of partying and 2 minutes of action.

Louisville (city) tradition is based in partying.

Period.

Ditto that sentiment. I was thinking the exact same thing while reading the OP and was going to post what you said RC. I suppose.....great minds think alike!

As long as the folks come and pay for their tickets.....I really don't care where they sit, stand, etc.....unless they are obstructing my view. I have not experienced the same problem in going to the rest room or getting a hot dog or beer that he is talking about and I usually sit in the 'cruch zone' when I am fortunate enough to go to a game (living in Illinois is a drag)

I usually only leave my seat to go take a whiz and get right back to watching the game. It does not disturb me in the least for folks to hang out where they feel comfortable at. Live and let live.

Right On. This is America, where freedom is enjoyed. As long as they behave themselves I don't have a problem with the Party Deck. Like you, I am in my seat when the teams are warming up and don't leave until most of the crowd has left. Old school.

Reactions: Morgantown Card
From UofL's perspective, the main reason the party deck is there is to sell single seats - the last few tickets that are hard to get rid of because very few people want to pay a lot of money for a ticket where they have to sit with strangers.

With the party deck, people can buy those single seats with the knowledge that they can meet up with their friends on the party deck. It's a genius concept, and any thoughts about changing it to "get more butts in the seats" are wrongheaded.

...I've decided it doesn't matter if the rest of the FB world will never take us seriously when they see thousands of empty seats on TV, and we announce/have 60k through the gates. They will simply say "yeah, sure they did"...
Assuming it's a battle of unbeatens, I encourage everyone in attendance at the FSU game in a couple weeks to look at the crowd in the seats across from you and then look to your right or left at the party deck. If it's like I remember at the Miami game a couple years ago, there will be people shoulder to shoulder at all locations.

That will give you a good gauge on how much the party deck actually subtracts from butts in the seats...

It's highly popular and heavily used, so let's get rid of it. Yeah, having a little problem with that logic. It's not going to happen but let's please moan about it and denigrate our own fans as often as possible.
FWIW, I use it frequently b/c the size of my group changes frequently and it's a way for us to all stay together. If you are someone whose seatmates and numbers never change, then you might be prone to think that others using it is a bad thing. I bring people in from out of town and bring new fans to the games all the time, and we sometimes have odd instead of even numbers. Putting us all in my 2 seats (which is sometimes all that I need -- no problem then) or breaking us up and spreading my guests around the stadium for 4 hours is impractical. Celebrate it instead of complaining about it. There are many fans who visit and are absolutely jealous that we have such a marvelous option.

I guess it's like a friend said about a restaurant at Murrels Inlet SC.

"A 2 1/2 wait, no place to park. This place will never make it" :p

Reactions: nccardfan
What we need is a deck above the party deck, that'd open up lines to the bathrooms and concessions...maybe put some fire pits up there with some couches and more flat screens...that's the derby city way right there.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT