ADVERTISEMENT

Our year

Rhino1973

Getting the Hang of It
Jul 24, 2019
I swear I can't wait to play the kittens this year. Usually they own us inside this year we will kill them inside. Their bugs combined for 10 rebounds against Mich.st.10 . we had 2 players with 12. Over 30 combined bigs. Thats with Williams out and aiden getting 0. I cant wait. They are junk inside. That Maxey was hitting 35 footers and schoolyard junk. Won't happen normally. I can't wait.

I swear I can't wait to play the kittens this year. Usually they own us inside this year we will kill them inside. Their bugs combined for 10 rebounds against Mich.st.10 . we had 2 players with 12. Over 30 combined bigs. Thats with Williams out and aiden getting 0. I cant wait. They are junk inside. That Maxey was hitting 35 footers and schoolyard junk. Won't happen normally. I can't wait.
We all know how we lock up when we play them. And players like Setina will go off gurantee. Not going to hold my breath beating them especially in Rupp.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
Calling it now, EJ will have 2-3 good games this year and we will be one of them.

We need William's back for that game!!

Reactions: Shonda97
The thing I saw with Maxey is the kid walked almost every time he got the ball but nothing was called. That gives the offensive player a huge advantage butI agree Maxey won’t do that every game as a matter of fact it might be fools gold for sUcK.

I agree he did. That kid wears blinders when he gets the ball. He is going to shoot the ball. He makes no one better at all. The past is the past. Dont try to compare UL now with UL under Petino. You are right , under Petino they always killed us inside. Harrelson going for 25 and 12 or some carp. Mack's approach is completely different. His teams almost never get bullied inside.
His teams always have strong post players that play hard. Petino was almost incompetent when it came to putting together a strong, hard nosed, post minded front court. Not trying to dog him but even his most heralded post recruits were usually soft. We had a few strong ones but usually got bullied inside. Totally different Mark my words. They better hope they shoot 60% from 3 .

Road game against a good team at a tough venue in Rupp. Whether we win or not, a tough game that will benefit us later down the road for sure. It won’t be our first true road game, so we won’t be deer in the headlights. We can win, but they don’t usually lose at Rupp.

We can focus all on our advantage against them in the post, but they also have a large advantage against us at guard and they’re a lot quicker. Darius/Fresh will have to do well against Hagans, because if they don’t I foresee a lot of turnovers.

The thing they do have is length, they don’t have the muscle but they are long enough. And being on the road, we won’t hit shots as well as we should against a pretty crazy redneck crowd. The poster above said they need to hit 3’s to win, but I’d say we probably rely on the 3 a lot more. So if Nwora is hot that day and the floor is stretched, we could have a good day.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
If you think I'm worried about spelling everything right in these posts your missing the point anyway. So go find someone else to annoy. Anyway, there have been alot of years when we didn't match up well with them but this ain't one of em. I think they have more to worry about with us than we do them. They do have great guards but the one that hurt state , Maxey. He went on a one man mission every time he touched the ball so he makes noone better.
Plus we are solid at guard, and long, and great shooting team, and experienced, and great free throw shooting team, rebounds, athletic, deep, see where I'm going with this. Not worried

If you think I'm worried about spelling everything right in these posts your missing the point anyway. So go find someone else to annoy. Anyway, there have been alot of years when we didn't match up well with them but this ain't one of em. I think they have more to worry about with us than we do them. They do have great guards but the one that hurt state , Maxey. He went on a one man mission every time he touched the ball so he makes noone better.
Plus we are solid at guard, and long, and great shooting team, and experienced, and great free throw shooting team, rebounds, athletic, deep, see where I'm going with this. Not worried
Sorry, but that’s where you show you’re just not watching our team.

We do not have a truly great primary ball handler. We do have size and capable scorers all over the floor, but Darius Perry and Fresh Kimble are 2 guards trying to play the 1. Darius has the athletic ability, but still is all potential right now. And those thinking David Johnson can step right in and go, that still remains to be seen because he really was more of a combo than a pure point.

And basing our matchups on one game you watched Kentucky? I mean Maxey has a great game sure, but Hagans is one of the top 5 defensive guards in the nation and has a year of experience. The other 5 star guard Quickley is strong as well. Any of those 3 would be our starter at the 1.

He scored 26 points and had a great game, scoring a lot of points doesn’t mean your selfish. I mean just because Nwora scores and shoots a lot doesn’t mean he’s 1 man that only is on a mission to score. They both are just scorers, that’s their roles.

Now down low is where we can have an advantage. Now we won’t have as large an advantage as we will against other team, but we are a bit stronger than them and more skilled in the inside. Nick Richards is a great defender, but in the past he’s foul prone so it remains to be seen.

Malik needs to get healthy, but even without we are pretty strong down there. Sutton being able to play stretch 4 is my favorite part of the Cards this year, the key to a log run in March. Enoch’s strength can just power guys out of the paint. Depth wise, we can’t get in foul trouble, Igiehon isn’t ready at this point in time.

1st ,nowhere did I say we had a great primary ball handler , I just said we were solid at guard. 2nd I said Maxey had one thing on his mind every time he got the ball. So using Nwora as an example to try and make that point is void. The guy goes balls to the wall to the basket. Even if 3 guys were open he would never see them.
Ok so they have 3 guys that would start at point for us. We have a guy who would start at the 3 for them. Another that would start at the 5 spot. 2 really. For that matter I dont know who they have that would start at the 5 over Sutton so I know plenty about both teams. This year we actually have a lot of advantages over them. We are a better r.ebounding team. We are better at the line plus we have the returning #1 free throw shooter in McMahon. We have more experience.
I'm comfortable

Going to be the same old song UK players that have not been producing prior to the U of L game will that game. And the U of L players that had been producing all year will disappear .Never fails to follow this pattern! I pray that it changes this year but until it happens . I'll be happy then.

1st ,nowhere did I say we had a great primary ball handler , I just said we were solid at guard. 2nd I said Maxey had one thing on his mind every time he got the ball. So using Nwora as an example to try and make that point is void. The guy goes balls to the wall to the basket. Even if 3 guys were open he would never see them.
Ok so they have 3 guys that would start at point for us. We have a guy who would start at the 3 for them. Another that would start at the 5 spot. 2 really. For that matter I dont know who they have that would start at the 5 over Sutton so I know plenty about both teams. This year we actually have a lot of advantages over them. We are a better r.ebounding team. We are better at the line plus we have the returning #1 free throw shooter in McMahon. We have more experience.
I'm comfortable
I mean I’m comfortable too. We have a good team that can be great if we develop the right way. We have a true star in Nwora and decent size down low. Point guard play wins in March, and what I saw the other night will not cut it to win the title.

But I’m a firm believer that if Darius Perry can reach his potential, we will be a great team. That’s the only way we can have a chance at a title. If he can be the point guard we need, Kimble can be the role player off the bench we need and that can also push DJ down the bench and put less pressure on him to get healthy too quickly and stunt his confidence/development. Similar to at UNC last year, we can get HOT from 3 in a hurry and blow a team out. But we can’t rely on that every game and need a strong ball handler to guide us through rough shooting nights.

But Kentucky is a great team as always. They’ll be a 2nd weekend team. Michigan State will be too. Kansas doesn’t look impressive to me right now, not any strong guard play. Duke isn’t great yet, but they have talent and an elite point guard and that could always translate into a good team, but still TBD.

UNC? A star player, HOF coach, and a talented/young roster. I think we beat them easy. I don’t see a lot to like from them..

UVA is going to force us to make plays and slow the game down. We have more talent, but something about them scares me again. I think people are sleeping on UVA.

Watch out for Maryland.

Florida looks to be formidable. Ohio State returns a lot and they have a good coach. Alabama by year end with Oats will be a much better team with all their talent. Cronin will shock people at UCLA. Arizona is overrated as always.

Wide open year for sure. We have as good a chance as anyone.

Reactions: bigbluelou
David played 4 years of high school ball in this city and people STILL don't think he's a pure point? Yikes...guess you'll be one of the many who are pleasantly surprised.
Sorry, but that’s where you show you’re just not watching our team. And those thinking David Johnson can step right in and go, that still remains to be seen because he really was more of a combo than a pure point.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
David Johnson is the real deal I actually think he could have been ranked higher. Having these injuries could be a blessing in disguise. As long as we get everyone healthy we could peak at the right time and not too early.

Reactions: ciswilldean3215
David played 4 years of high school ball in this city and people STILL don't think he's a pure point? Yikes...guess you'll be one of the many who are pleasantly surprised.
I watched him several time, against KHSAA. This is the KHSAA, guys like Dom Hawkins run pure point and look good against Kentucky competition.

He played AAU and EVERY recruiting service listed him as a 2 guard or combo guard. He’s really position-less. But he’s a borderline top 100 guy that wasn’t evaluated as a PG, and the only reason we are looking at him as a PG is out of necessity since we don’t have many good options.

David is a very long guard with a lot of good intangibles. He will develop into a good college point guard in time, but expecting him to be a difference in the ACC in year 1 is a stretch. Especially now coming off an injury.

Exactly how I see it. Guys are gonna get a lot of minutes that would not be there if not for injuries. Having said that Johnson in working out and close to practicing . Williams will be back at the right time. You hope to peak sometime around Jan-Feb. Too soon and sometimes teams kinda burn out too soon. This team has the prices to be a nightmare.
Things we know as facts not potential.
1. We have a legit 2 headed monster at center. Different styles but both effective.
2 We have 1 all-American wing and 1 stud freshman. Both can score and rebound. Nwora will be a mismatch for every team we face

Positionless...lol. You really shouldn't speak on things if the basis of your observations are what some clowns on recruiting services believe.....

I've said it multiple times on these boards and I've coached him since he was in 5th grade...NOBODY is more of a pure point than David Johnson. Nobody. But whatever you say, man.

And actually, a disagreement between his parents and Ellis is part of the reason why he DIDN'T play AAU on the adidas circuit his junior year summer FWIW.....

I watched him several time, against KHSAA. This is the KHSAA, guys like Dom Hawkins run pure point and look good against Kentucky competition.

He played AAU and EVERY recruiting service listed him as a 2 guard or combo guard. He’s really position-less. But he’s a borderline top 100 guy that wasn’t evaluated as a PG, and the only reason we are looking at him as a PG is out of necessity since we don’t have many good options.

David is a very long guard with a lot of good intangibles. He will develop into a good college point guard in time, but expecting him to be a difference in the ACC in year 1 is a stretch. Especially now coming off an injury.

3. We have an absolute workhorse utility man. Sutton can give us whatever we need any game. Priceless.
A do it all super frosh in Williamson
4. We have 3 experienced guards . all have diff skill sets. No stars but an instant offense 3 point man and top free throw shooter in America. McMahon
Steady, proven leader and 4 year team captain in Kimble
Athletic, big, fast in Perry
Big versatile freshman that seems to have been underrated in Nickelberry.I say this because his #s in h.s.senior were awesome especially playing in the talent rich state of North Carolina. The Hulk will help tremendously by tourney time . I freaking love this team. We will just keep getting better till tourney time. There is a very real chance that by March we are just nasty as hell.

Positionless...lol. You really shouldn't speak on things if the basis of your observations are what some clowns on recruiting services believe.....

I've said it multiple times on these boards and I've coached him since he was in 5th grade...NOBODY is more of a pure point than David Johnson. Nobody. But whatever you say, man.

And actually, a disagreement between his parents and Ellis is part of the reason why he DIDN'T play AAU on the adidas circuit his junior year summer FWIW.....
Parents and coaches tend to have a bit more bias about what they want their player/child to be in college. Yes, experts aren’t always right of course, but usually the scouts like to see what their size/skills project on the next level

He was a 6’5 guard in the KHSAA. He had good vision and could see over a lot of players. He still will have the height in college, but there’s going to be a big adjustment playing against players that are taller and strong than 5’10 point guards in High school.

He had some good ball handling skills, could shoot, good at driving, and could grab rebounds at a strong rate. His high school numbers even show that he’s a combo guard that can be a wing. A lot of points, good assist numbers but not a lot, and big rebounding numbers for a guard. He’s a scoring first guard. My eyes saw it, the scouts saw it, and his numbers say it. Yes, the bigger kid can dominate 5th grade basketball, but this is the ACC.

He really could play the 1-3. And you’ve seen mack is really fighting hard to try and get a top rated Point Guard, so that says a lot about where he sees DJ in the long run. He will be good, but he’s not an ACC point guard from day 1.

It's ok to be wrong, man. Swing and a miss on this one but there will be others.
(Reads detailed post with factual information) “yeah I read it because your wrong! I coached him in 5th grade! That’s the only fact that matters”

David Johnson
-Shooting Guard
-Shooting Guard
-Combo Guard

That’s 247, ESPN, and Rival’s evaluation

16 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists per game.
That doesn’t scream pure point guard. That screams scoring/combo guard.

There’s my piece, now give me something other than your opinion based on coaching him in 5th grade.

Last edited:
3. We have an absolute workhorse utility man. Sutton can give us whatever we need any game. Priceless.
A do it all super frosh in Williamson
4. We have 3 experienced guards . all have diff skill sets. No stars but an instant offense 3 point man and top free throw shooter in America. McMahon
Steady, proven leader and 4 year team captain in Kimble
Athletic, big, fast in Perry
Big versatile freshman that seems to have been underrated in Nickelberry.I say this because his #s in h.s.senior were awesome especially playing in the talent rich state of North Carolina. The Hulk will help tremendously by tourney time . I freaking love this team. We will just keep getting better till tourney time. There is a very real chance that by March we are just nasty as hell.
All the ingredients are there for one heck of meal by March madness for sure.

It doesn’t have the 2013 vibe, but all it takes is clicking at the right time and they could get there for-sure. I get a 2008-09 vibe from this squad, pieces were there to make a run, will we click?

All the ingredients are there for one heck of meal by March madness for sure.

It doesn’t have the 2013 vibe, but all it takes is clicking at the right time and they could get there for-sure. I get a 2008-09 vibe from this squad, pieces were there to make a run, will we click?
You cant get a comparable vibe from a team that is coached differently and somewhat constructed with parts also different from the previous coach, you have to compare this team to Macks teams at Xavier. Too get a really good feel of how these players compare and were used on his previous teams.,Moreso than trying to compare to Ricks. Total opposite philosophy. Rick focused on defense Mack doesn't seem to be as detailed oriented. And what i do know at Xavier he allowed his players to freelance which was a total no no with Rick.

You cant get a comparable vibe from a team that is coached differently and somewhat constructed with parts also different from the previous coach, you have to compare this team to Macks teams at Xavier. Too get a really good feel of how these players compare and were used on his previous teams.,Moreso than trying to compare to Ricks. Total opposite philosophy. Rick focused on defense Mack doesn't seem to be as detailed oriented. And what i do know at Xavier he allowed his players to freelance which was a total no no with Rick.
Not necessarily. I'm not talking about style, I'm talking about just a feeling.

Great teams give off a good vibe. Like I'd say 2012 sUcKs, 2007 Florida, 2005 UNC, 2004 UConn, 2001 Duke, you just knew those teams were going to win it all.

In 2013, those guys had all the pieces ready to win a title. Senior McDAA point guard. Elite rim protecting big. 2 returning McDAA Sophomores. A rising junior in Russ Smith. And plenty of perfect role players that just had a great fit.

They had good attitudes and were coming off a Final 4 run. They had a lot of great experience and knew what it took to win in March. We knew the Big East would make them battle tested. We saw what they did the previous year.

This group just has the feeling that those 2008 & 2009 team had. They were great teams and had the ability to breakthrough.

This especially reminds me of David Padgett's senior season. We had E5/T-Will that were elite talent. Plenty of depth up and down the roster, just not very proven. Had an early tournament loss the year before. A lot of hype going into the year, but we still weren't sold 2 years removed from an NIT. We were hard on Sosa the way we are on Darius Perry now.

That group could've won a title in 2008 or 2009, they just had some bad breaks and never fully clicked. I don't believe Sosa was the man to win us a title in Rick's system. A guy like Siva was the perfect PG. A straight facilitator that had scoring skills when needed and could play the defense Rick wanted. He also could switch up the pace by 2013 and either push pace or run the half-court offense. Sosa just didn't have the PG mentality.

Some years you have 8 or 10 really good teams and there is a really big separation between the rest. This year there are a lot of really good teams and the tournament will be wide open. There will be a lot of upsets during the tournament. I like our chances since we have a good mix of young talented players and senior talented players.

You cant get a comparable vibe from a team that is coached differently and somewhat constructed with parts also different from the previous coach

This is an excellent point. This is so good, I'm going to forgive all of your in game panic posts.

Everyone needs to keep in mind the # of NCAA tourney games won by this group can be counted with no hands.

This team is hopefully going to lay the groundwork for what we're hoping is a great upcoming era for the program. We shall see!

This is funny.

I see everyone hanging off Williamson's jock and apparently no one realizes UK gets 5 of that guy every year.

I'd love to see a win in Rupp but I doubt it. Prove me wrong Mack. Rick couldn't do it.
It’s all about circumstance.

Out of the 7 years, Rick probably had a better team 1 maybe 2 times. Sometimes you just get beat on the road and it’s hard. It wasn’t on Rick, just hard to beat a good team on the road.

He went into Rupp in 2003-04 season and beat Kentucky when they were #1 in the nation. So it’s not like he didn’t do it ever. Cal just gave them a crazy level of talent that was better than ours.

Let’s see if Mack can do it, but not beating UK that often wont be a stain on him because it’s hard to do. Even Denny struggled to beat them too.

Most seasons since Calipari has been at uk our teams didn't match up well with theirs. This season while they have great guards we at least have good ones. Inside is where I think we present a mismatch for them. If you compare post players this year we are
Nwora, Williomson, Sutton, Enoch, Williams, Igeheon. They are Richards, Sestina, Montgomery, Lion Brroks, Khalil Whitney. All these guys are forwards or centers. Nobody in the world can argue this fact. Its really not even close .so I'm good. Mack ain't Perino. He likes toughness not done as.

Most seasons since Calipari has been at uk our teams didn't match up well with theirs. This season while they have great guards we at least have good ones. Inside is where I think we present a mismatch for them. If you compare post players this year we are
Nwora, Williomson, Sutton, Enoch, Williams, Igeheon. They are Richards, Sestina, Montgomery, Lion Brroks, Khalil Whitney. All these guys are forwards or centers. Nobody in the world can argue this fact. Its really not even close .so I'm good. Mack ain't Perino. He likes toughness not done as.
I say we have an advantage for sure, but I think Richards is a pretty good defensive center and he’s long. The Bucknell transfer looks pretty decent too. When I see a massive post advantage, it’s all about length. Us and UK both will have length advantages against generally everyone we play. We both are long and that’s what disrupts teams.

They aren’t deep in the post forsure, but I wouldn’t say our guards are good. Williamson is becoming a solid scorer. Perry has potential, but he probably our version of their Nick Richards, a lot of talent we’ve seen in flashes but we are still waiting for it to fully come together.

I think the length on both sides will cancel some things out, so it will come down to their strong guard play versus our shooting.

And yes, Mack ain’t Pitino. Pitino is a top 5 coach in college history and one of the best to ever do it. Mack hasn’t made a Final Four yet. He may be great, but let’s not act like Mack has just stepped in and as already on Rick’s level.

I wasn't comparing their career records I was talking about how Petinos teams were not usually tough. He cared about body fat and Mack likes his guys strong

I wasn't comparing their career records I was talking about how Petinos teams were not usually tough. He cared about body fat and Mack likes his guys strong
Rick’s teams were always some of the toughest in the nation. I think you’re talking about strength/weight, which has nothing to do with toughness.

That full court press and our tough defense was known by everyone in the Big East. Pitino teams were the TOUGHEST in the nation. Teams always complained about how hard we’d play on defense and how worn out they were after the games. Bench pressing 300 pounds doesn’t make you tough.

Go tell Montrezl Harrell he wasn’t that tough. How about Russdiulous? Gourgi? Taquan Dean? Don Mitchell? David Padgett? Chinanu?

Tenacious and tough are two different things. Also I don't know why you are bringing up guards. I'm referring to tough play inside. Even then out of the boys you did name Gorgui was the only really good rebounder. As much as I love Harrell. With his side and motor he still should be grabbed more boards. Nwora is a beast on the glass and he's a 3. Really bro think about how many weak bigs Petino recruited
We got beat on the glass with regularity..

Who cares about Nwora's evaluation when discussing a completely different player? LOL. It was a direct quote from David himself yesterday when interviewed by Paul Rogers, "I've only been practicing the point guard position in practice." LOL. PROBABLY BECAUSE IT'S HIS POSITION. You didn't read any of the posts that mentioned I had known him since he was a 5th grader. I've watched him play hundreds of games over the years. Think it took me forever to figure out he was a TRUE point? Sounds like it didn't take Coach Mack long to figure it out either. You were wrong and still are wrong. What more proof do you need???
(Reads detailed post with factual information) “yeah I read it because your wrong! I coached him in 5th grade! That’s the only fact that matters”

Jordan Nwora
-Shooting Guard
-Shooting Guard
-Combo Guard

That’s 247, ESPN, and Rival’s evaluation

16 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists per game.
That doesn’t scream pure point guard. That screams scoring/combo guard.

There’s my piece, now give me something other than your opinion based on coaching him in 5th grade.

Who cares about Nwora's evaluation when discussing a completely different player? LOL. It was a direct quote from David himself yesterday when interviewed by Paul Rogers, "I've only been practicing the point guard position in practice." LOL. PROBABLY BECAUSE IT'S HIS POSITION. You didn't read any of the posts that mentioned I had known him since he was a 5th grader. I've watched him play hundreds of games over the years. Think it took me forever to figure out he was a TRUE point? Sounds like it didn't take Coach Mack long to figure it out either. You were wrong and still are wrong. What more proof do you need???
He’s not a true point. He’s a combo guard. He’s a scorer with some point guard skills. A pure point is a Ricky Rubio type of guard trying to get everyone involved and the run the offense.

Maybe he’s a lead guard, but he’s not a pure point as of now. Now later on down the road, yeah he probably will play a lot of minutes at the 1, but he’s 3rd in line behind Darius and Fresh now.

And you saw Mack was going hard after another point guard for the next few classes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT