ADVERTISEMENT

Missed shots.

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
I begrudgingly watched a replay of the game this afternoon, and yes there was still some of the looking lost on the court we saw last season, but they had no problem getting uncontested shots.

Of the first 10 or so shots taken by the Cards, 8 were totally uncontested. No hands in their face, just missed open shots. And I'm not talking missed bunnies, but mostly mid range and 3 point shots.

Cards could have had 4 assists in the first 5 minutes if they had made the open shot. They weren't turning the ball over like the first game, they just couldn't make a shot.

It is true that there's not any set plays yet, but these guys still have to show what they can do. Who are we setting plays up for now? Williams for a 3 is the only real one I saw. We're not posting our bigs, so it's just a motion offense to get an open shot.

The thing is, you have to make the open shot for it to work.

And like most young players, missing open, easy shots deflats them on defense and concentration. And with the fanbase coming down hard, these players naturally lose confidence as well.

Then the loose ball and long rebounds at the wrong time seal the deal in a second straight season of losing an exhibition game. Why wouldn't every single person who loves Louisville basketball not think here we go again?

The men's basketball program just can't seem to get off that bottom rock. The head coach has to be the reason. It's just plain common sense reality.

Reactions: UofLouisville
Making shots is the name of the game, particularly now that they are being paid to make them. That being said, against a team with minimal height, the offense should have been focused on going inside to Evans. That's what almost any coach with a brain would do. Once they start collapsing, go back outside. Poor shooting nights happen to the best of teams, particularly young ones like ours. A good motivator would have fired them up to perform in other areas, namely defense and rebounding. We got embarrassed on giving Wesleyan second chances. We just don't have a head coach who knows what he's doing, plain and simple. Start making a list Josh. This can't go on much longer or UofL will end up like SMU football after getting the death penalty and never really recover.

Reactions: shadow force
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT