ADVERTISEMENT

Our defense is fun

Who IS available on DL: Goldwire, Tell, Puryear, Dorsey, Edwards, and Collins / Austin Collins true freshman 6'3 270 Perrysburg Ohio. We were playing guys on defense I couldn't find on the roster.

It would also have helped the defense if the offense didn't pretty much shat the bed in the 1st and 3rd quarters. How do they come outta the locker room flat in EACH half?...

It would also have helped the defense if the offense didn't pretty much shat the bed in the 1st and 3rd quarters. How do they come outta the locker room flat in EACH half?...

Ultimately penalties and turnovers were the difference in this game. Offense has to be more consistent, especially when the D is missing 10 guys and doesn’t learn that until the morning of the game.

Reactions: rh62531
Hard to argue that on its face but bad teams rarely play well on both sides in the same game.

Bs. Offense scored 35 points.
After the fact. We were two touchdowns down before the offense was able to start moving the ball, and not three and out. The very first two plays of the game shows we come in indecisive.

For the most part, We have AAC players,[ not talking about UC ] competing in the ACC. A number of local walk on's, mainly from Trinity - St.X saw considerable action yesterday. Some of these guy's " Bio's " were completely blank on the UL web site. What's that tell you?

UC would absolutely clock us. Luke has recruited well and he has a legit defense. Anyone that thought, that Satt was going to turn the train wreck around he inherited from Pricktreno in a season 2 or 3 is delusional.

With the exception of Satterfield's first class--2019--our classes the last five years have ranked between 5th and 7th in the ACC. That's no worse than middle of the pack.

And the ranking issue in 2019 was class SIZE, the smallest in the ACC that year at 15 players. Average stars (2.8) was a tenth or two lower in 2019 than we normally average (2.9-3.1).

Our football recruiting is fine...

With the exception of Satterfield's first class--2019--our classes the last five years have ranked between 5th and 7th in the ACC. That's no worse than middle of the pack.

And the ranking issue in 2019 was class SIZE, the smallest in the ACC that year at 15 players. Average stars (2.8) was a tenth or two lower than we normally average (2.9-3.1).

Significant number of 2018 guys no longer playing, especially on defense.

And the ranking issue in 2019 was class SIZE, the smallest in the ACC that year at 15 players. Average stars (2.8) was a tenth or two lower in 2019 than we normally average (2.9-3.1).

Well, that certainly explains why we are playing walk-ons from Lexington Tates Creek, Louisville St.X, Louisville Manual, and Louisville Trinity - among others.

Per Rivals, the level of talent on this team is not an issue, at least not historically and not unless you were hoping for a playoff berth this year.

I'm not criticizing our kids. Some of our better players have always been two stars and former walk ons. Good coaching will coach up unheralded players along with the effort those kids usually show. I enjoy watching the Marshon Fords of this team compete.

Now they don't seem to always bring a consistent approach to the game. But that's less on the kids than the coaches...

Last edited:
Another defensive player from the 2018 recruiting class is defecting. Now, well over half of that class on the defensive side aren’t even playing football. Great job recruiting Bobby!

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Another defensive player from the 2018 recruiting class is defecting. Now, well over half of that class on the defensive side aren’t even playing football. Great job recruiting Bobby!
It's Satterfield's job to keep players or replace them. We need to stop blaming people who are no longer here and making excuses for the people in their jobs now...

It's Satterfield's job to keep players or replace them. We need to stop blaming people who are no longer here and making excuses for the people in their jobs now...

The individual that is leaving barely got to play. However you’d hope that guys from the 2018 class would be big contributors but over half no longer even play.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Huh.. that’s even more supportive of what Zipp is saying...

...or it suggests Petrino did a really poor job of recruiting defensive players and helps explain our lack of depth on defense. Clearly now it’s Satt’s job to recruit at a higher level.

...or it suggests Petrino did a really poor job of recruiting defensive players and helps explain our lack of depth on defense. Clearly now it’s Satt’s job to recruit at a higher level.
You need to contact the recruitniks within Rivals. They saw nothing wrong with the 2018 class, nor any other class we've had lately with the full complement of players (excl. 2019)...

Last edited:
or it suggests Petrino did a really poor job of recruiting defensive players and helps explain our lack of depth on defense
Exactly right.

I'm not sure Bobby could even spell defense much less recruit a defensive player..

Don't understand the fixation with the defense. Our issues on offense this year are as glaring as the defense...

I don't have a problem critiquing the offense OR the defense. On this 2-5 team, both need help.

The premise that one is far worse than the other at the moment is flawed. That's the point I'll debate along with the corollary that our recruiting/talent on defense is the issue.

Speaking of which and back to Rivals... For Petrino's last four classes, 2015-2018, there were 50 kids who signed in February of those years on offense, 48 on defense. Those numbers slot the "athletes" in the classes where they ended up playing, i.e., which side of the ball. And it leaves out the ST kids.

The average star ratings for those subgroups was 5.59 on offense and 5.58 on defense. 5.60 is a mid-three star recruit.

There has been no incoming talent issue recently between the offense and the defense in this program. That's just the explanation some fans wanna give to mask other issues or to explain what can't be readily explained...

I don't have a problem critiquing the offense OR the defense. On this 2-5 team, both need help.

The premise that one is far worse than the other at the moment is flawed. That's the point I'll debate along with the corollary that our recruiting/talent on defense is the issue.

Speaking of which and back to Rivals... For Petrino's last four classes, 2015-2018, there were 50 kids who signed in February of those years on offense, 48 on defense. Those numbers slot the "athletes" in the classes where they ended up playing, i.e., which side of the ball. And it leaves out the ST kids.

The average star ratings for those subgroups was 5.59 on offense and 5.58 on defense. 5.60 is a mid-three star recruit.

There has been no incoming talent issue recently between the offense and the defense in this program. That's just the explanation some fans wanna give to mask other issues or to explain what can't be readily explained...

There was been a high amount of attrition on the defensive side of the ball. That has been a problem.

Other message board is reporting that we are losing one of our defensive coaches due to inappropriate behavior? Anyone with knowledge?

...I'm not sure Bobby could even spell defense much less recruit a defensive player..
There was been a high amount of attrition on the defensive side of the ball. That has been a problem.
Those are similar but different arguments. And attrition data??

I'll also ask whose job it is to keep players here? Satterfield's been the head coach the better part of two seasons...

Last edited:
Those are similar but different arguments. And attrition data??

I'll also ask whose job it is to keep players here? Satterfield's been the head coach the better part of two seasons...

Most of the attrition are guys that are no longer playing football. I suppose he could try to keep them in Louisville but it’s tough to demand they stay on the football team.

I guess Satterfield should have brought in more replacements.

And Mack did a pretty nice job recruiting Pitino's kids...

Most of the attrition are guys that are no longer playing football. I suppose he could try to keep them in Louisville but it’s tough to demand they stay on the football team.
Most of the attrition is guys we we're probably lucky to get rid of so we could recruit, hopefully better players.

Point being Bobby's recruiting was so bad on the defensive side of the ball a lot of them weren't good enough to stay on the team for 4 years.

Reactions: gocds
I guess Satterfield should have brought in more replacements.

And Mack did a pretty nice job recruiting Pitino's kids...
Ok, ok, I get it.
Vince NQ was hired by the “clown show” so he must be a clown
Anyone Vince NQ hires, therefore must also be a clown.
and therefore anybody THAT guy hires must be a clown.
Nobody, even thrice removed, can escape the awful stain.

Other message board is reporting that we are losing one of our defensive coaches due to inappropriate behavior? Anyone with knowledge?
Rumors and speculation that tie an assistant with the recent termination of the assistant a.d. Not buy into it.

...Point being Bobby's recruiting was so bad on the defensive side of the ball a lot of them weren't good enough to stay on the team for 4 years.
That's opinion. Rivals recruiting data don't back it up...

Ok, ok, I get it.
Vince NQ was hired by the “clown show” so he must be a clown
Anyone Vince NQ hires, therefore must also be a clown.
and therefore anybody THAT guy hires must be a clown.
Nobody, even thrice removed, can escape the awful stain.
I think you took a right turn somewhere. We were talking about our defense and recruiting...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT