ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NCAAF head coach compensation database.

I'm in the wrong profession. Bobby comes in at 21.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/
If you include bonus awarded in previous year, (which was an 8-5 season) CBP would be 14 on the list right ahead of Les Miles. CBP contract is heavily bonus latent, meaning CBP should be higher on the list after this season's success.

Can someone explain Kirk Ferentz contract? What dos Kirk have on his bosses ?

Last edited:
I'm in the wrong profession. Bobby comes in at 21.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

I'm full-on in support of free markets, etc, but for "amateur" (quotes intended), this is absolutely ridiculous in this era of high tuition that ends in students graduating way over their heads in debt. Not just the rates, but the rate of increases! $9MM for Harbaugh, a $2MM increase over last year. WOW!

Last edited:
Reactions: tluck28
I'm not sure I get the connection between a Coach's salary and student debt. There are a lot of schools that have low salaries for the football or basketball coach but their tuition is extremely high. Take for example Harvard or Yale or any Ivy League school has high tuition but low athletic salaries comparable. I can' t speak for every school but Louisville more than gets their money back on CBP's salary.

I'm not sure I get the connection between a Coach's salary and student debt. There are a lot of schools that have low salaries for the football or basketball coach but their tuition is extremely high. Take for example Harvard or Yale or any Ivy League school has high tuition but low athletic salaries comparable. I can' t speak for every school but Louisville more than gets their money back on CBP's salary.

It's certainly not a direct connection, and I concede your point regarding CBP. But my point remains - that type of cash outlay is a very bad look for a public institution, funded by tax dollars and student tuition (which is largely funded by student debt). I don't know where the line is and I'm not about to suggest one, but I'm thinking it's probably south of Harbaugh's $9MM/year.

Like I said, I'm all "go free markets" whatever. If the NFL wants to pay Belichick $100MM/year or whatever, and their franchise and fans are willing to go for, well go for it. But public institutions, I don't know man, $9MM, $6MM, that's a lot of public money.

The Louisville athletic department is ran separate from the University it is self sufficient. They generate their own money and they get no income from the University. If I am looking for a place to blame for student debt I would blame the federal government and the academic side of the universities.
The Federal Government always comes in and gives federal aid to students to help them pay tuition ( they only help students in the lower income bracket ) like the BEOG . Once the Feds increase aid to 7% the University increases tuition by 7%.

The students who don't qualify for aid are the ones that are going into deep debt. Everybody would be better off if the government just stayed away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT