ADVERTISEMENT

OSU Qb Martel redshirt Freshman in transfer portal

Unfortunately, he played in six games this past year, so he will have to sit a year before being eligible. I still would like to have him, but we are not on the radar, according to CBS, anyway.

He would be ideal, and the 5th QB that this staff is looking for, assuming we get Hicks from SMU. He’d Sit out in 2019 and compete for (likely win) the starting job in 2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: lemonsigmapi
Come on aboard, Tate!

The staff just got a commitment from a top tier offensive linemen. More will follow if you make the decision to take your talents to Louisville.

He may be a graduate transfer potentially graduating in May. Could be a Baker Mayfield type super competitive, but a challenge managing his ego/inner circle. I feel pretty comfortable they will only take him if he fits their plan. This group isn't going to bring a problem into the locker room in the 1st year, especially this locker room.

He is talented no doubt about that, but OSU brought Fields in for a reason. Pretty safe to say Fields wasn't going anywhere without a guarantee. They basically kick Martell to the curb.

Pretty sure Ryan Day would have started whoever gave them the best chance to win. They both got beat out last season and obviously didn't like it. If you are hyped as being the next big thing and lose the starting QB competition, everyone just transfers. I think its pretty weak by both of them.

Reactions: mwatson61
If you are hyped as being the next big thing and lose the starting QB competition, everyone just transfers. I think its pretty weak by both of them.
Never understood this type of thinking. These kids are interested in being on the field - not watching. Doesn’t matter if it’s Alabama or Murray State - why is it weak to go to someplace that you can play?

Reactions: GoldCard
Fields committed to GA knowing that Fromm was coming back. He thought he was good enough to come in and take his spot, but didn't. Fields transfers to OSU and Martell thought he was the man and leaves. They've never heard no and have always been the man. Its that way with a good % of kids in all walks of life these days. Immediate gratification or I'm out.

He may be a graduate transfer potentially graduating in May. Could be a Baker Mayfield type super competitive, but a challenge managing his ego/inner circle. I feel pretty comfortable they will only take him if he fits their plan. This group isn't going to bring a problem into the locker room in the 1st year, especially this locker room.

He is talented no doubt about that, but OSU brought Fields in for a reason. Pretty safe to say Fields wasn't going anywhere without a guarantee. They basically kick Martell to the curb.
Martel is just completing his second year at OSU so unless he is a genius I doubt he is getting a four year degree this spring (he isn't at UNC).
This kid was featured on a program a couple of years ago that I saw on Netflix. It focused on his senior year in HS in Las Vegas. Georgia's current QB Fromm and the backup at Wake Forest were also featured. Martel came across as arrogant. He was filmed doing things behind his coach's back and then lying about them. Definitely not a Bridgewater or Jackson type person.

A HS kid starring in a documentary film acting like a big shot and playing it up?

Say it ain't so! :p

It does seem this kid wants a job handed to him and pouts if it isn't. That's not what we need.

A lot of recruits go to a school that promises them everything they want to hear and once there it’s not what they promised. I have no problem taking a transfer the most important thing is to take someone who fits the system. That is what’s best for the team and the athlete.

Reactions: RC3PO
I see nothing wrong with a kid transferring. Coaches move all the time, and they don't have to sit out a year before they take another job. Look the last 2 Heisman winners were transfers.

Coaches will play who they feel gives them the best chance to win at this level. The coach at OSU would have played the guy who gives him the best chance to win.

I see nothing wrong with a kid transferring. Coaches move all the time, and they don't have to sit out a year before they take another job. Look the last 2 Heisman winners were transfers.

Coaches will play who they feel gives them the best chance to win at this level. The coach at OSU would have played the guy who gives him the best chance to win.
Coaches also don’t play the best guy sometimes, and sometimes play who they like not who’s best (Petrino). Who knows. But bring him in.

Credit Miami's staff on this one. They locked him up before he made his scheduled visit to Louisville.
Locking him up should make everyone feel better at Louisville
How many of the 12 transfers did the new coach retain

Miami QB Tate Martell arrives, says he's ready to compete

DANIA BEACH, Fla. -- Tate Martell greeted a few well-wishers in the airport after arriving in South Florida, then stopped to pick up a coffee and a sandwich.

The baristas, noticing the crowd around him, asked his name.

If Martell gets his way, they'll know his name -- and his game -- soon enough.

Ex-Buckeyes QB Martell transferring to Miami
Former Ohio State quarterback Tate Martell said he is transferring to the University of Miami.

The former Ohio State quarterback is in the final stages of enrolling at Miami, arriving with four pieces of luggage on Thursday afternoon after flying in from Columbus to his new home. The plan is for him to complete his academic registration process no later than Friday, and start taking classes there right away.

"It was pretty wild and pretty quick," Martell told The Associated Press, speaking of the whirlwind that saw him leave the Buckeyes for the Hurricanes. "But it was something I needed to get done, obviously, in a short time. And with school starting I had to get it done fast."

Martell announced his plans to transfer to Miami early Wednesday. He redshirted as a true freshman at Ohio State in 2017, and completed 23 of 28 passes in six appearances as Dwayne Haskins' backup for the Buckeyes this past season.

Martell's transfer out of Ohio State came less than two weeks after former Georgia quarterback Justin Fields announced that he would be joining the Buckeyes. After arriving in South Florida, Martell said he's only looking forward to what awaits at Miami.

"I'm just happy to be where I'm at now, focused on going and competing down here and doing my thing," Martell said Thursday.

The next question will be how soon he gets on the field for the Hurricanes.

Martell is not leaving Ohio State as a graduate transfer, and he'll need more than one semester to graduate from Miami. That means he'll be applying for a waiver from the NCAA to play in 2019, and his attorney told the Toledo Blade on Thursday that he believed Martell's case had merit for reasons that included the Buckeyes' change in coaches from Urban Meyer to Ryan Day.

"There were some things that happened at Ohio State that we can potentially get some relief from the NCAA, and we're going to try it that way," the attorney, Travis Leach, told the newspaper. "The coaching staff turnover is an issue. There are a few things. There's no real bright-line test that tells you 100 percent how you can get a waiver. This is a tough one, but there are some good facts on his side."

Without the waiver or transferring as a graduate, Martell would have to sit out the 2019 season under NCAA rules.

Improving the production at quarterback is a top priority for Miami and new coach Manny Diaz this season. As a team, Miami passed for only 2,175 yards in 13 games this past season and ranked 115th out of 130 Football Bowl Subdivision teams in passing efficiency.

N'Kosi Perry, who split time with now-graduated Malik Rosier this past season, is expected back at Miami for 2019, as is redshirt freshman Jarren Williams. Martell would be competing with them for the starting job.

"Certainly, we have to get the quarterback position fixed," Diaz said when he was hired earlier this month. "We have some young guys on our campus who have shown flashes. They have shown that they have ability. But you don't win at the University of Miami with flashes, and you don't win at the University of Miami with potential. You have to perform."

Martell was a five-star recruit out of Bishop Gorman High in Las Vegas, where he went 43-0 as a starter. The move to Miami will reunite Martell with two of his Bishop Gorman teammates -- Brevin Jordan is a starting tight end for the Hurricanes, and safety Bubba Bolden is transferring in from USC.

The ties to Miami run deeper than just through Jordan and Bolden, Martell said.

"I know a bunch of guys on the team through recruiting and camps and high school and staying in touch," Martell said. "That was a big part of this for me, my relationships with the guys. And obviously my teammates, one that's here and one that will be here. So I'm excited for sure."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT