ADVERTISEMENT

Opportunity for Cards to finish this week off and climb up in ACC race

Four-Star Poster
Nov 28, 2002
It starts tonight, and by Sunday evening UL has a chance to climb up as high as 3rd place in ACC behind ND and Duke. We must win at UVA tonight and at home against Clemson, plus FSU must lose at Miami, but turn around and beat VT there on Sunday. All are quite possible, and only notable as it just goes to demonstrate further as to how incredibly balanced and competitive the ACC is this year.

No predictions here, but I do believe there is reason to be optimistic about this UL team regaining some National respect. When your “go to player” (HVL) is struggling and you are still able to win, plus having a true Freshman (Harris) stepping up at the same time; reason for optimism. It is inevitable that HVL returns to her previous form.

If we play with the same defensive intensity that we have the past 2 games I like our chances. I also like Mykasa running the point she pushes the ball up court creating a faster tempo which is better for us. I also like the support we’re getting from the bench it is crucial if we expect to keep up defensive pressure.

Reactions: 2330859
What planet are these announcers from? Louisville hasn't hit its groove. We're not playing our best basketball. They're acting like we have won 6 games in a roll.

Geez - That’s OC - gotta play better D. HVL - stop throwing the ball to the other team.
They just need to relax and turn up the defense.

HVL - 5 TOs!! Walz took her out. We need her badly and those mistakes are really hurting. Like to see Lis and/or Josie in the game along with Harris. Getting nothing from OC.

Looking a lot like the Wake Forest game. Virginia shooting the lights out and getting every long rebound.

HVL is simply off. She's got El Ellis turnover disease.

This team lacks offense when both HVL and CC are not playing well. They're just disjointed. Have been all season. That's why it's absurd the announcers saying the Cards are gelling or at their peak.

Something is just off and struggling against a 3 and 10 ACC also ran shows it.

I like seeing HVL driving to the basket - that’s what we need. Gotta draw fouls against UVA and get the the ft line. I bet they are not shooting 30% from the field. A primary reason is they are not getting any easy shots not are they getting many shots low in the paint. Jump shot, jump shot, jump shot…

Reactions: Guardman
It's just not in the Cards for basketball in 2022/23. The pun intended.

The ladies have been struck by some mysterious ailment that a great head coach just can't seem to figure out. It's one thing losing to ranked teams, but to conference cellar dwellers is something different.

And of course the men are setting all time records for ineptitude in almost every category. It was supposed to be a tough year, but this?

The dreaded Sports Gods are celebrating the 10th anniversary of the year of the Cardinals with this brutal affliction on Louisville hoops.

Now hopefully the baseball team will break the spell?

That charge by Cochran typifies her season. Everyone could see that charge coming and she has to know the refs call charges 90 percent of the time? Yet, she slams right in to the defender and complains the foul was on her. Walz took her immediately out, shaking his head.

The team is just not together as a good team is.

Hard to believe but CC hasn't scored after three quarters. Russell is playing well, keeping Jones on the bench.

I'm worried that the officiating may well determine who wins this game.

10 points in the paint. Says it all. I contribute that to poor ball movement and poor player movement as well.

Last edited:
10 points in the paint. Says it all. I contribute that to poor ball movement and ooor player movement as well.
First, I do agree that the lack of inside production says it all but it's not all on the guards inability or unwillingness to pass inside. Of two of HVL's TO's were a result of her passing the ball down low to Harris who was in good position. Instead of her spinning or making a move to the basket, she passes the ball back to HVL like a hot potato and the spacing is off and leads to a turnover. Cochran started the game playing more as a 4, which she thinks she's more suited but she can't guard a 4 and ended up with 2 early fouls. Got nothing from Harris. Its also kind of weird that the last 2 games, Konno starts but then plays very little in the 3rd and 4th. I agree that Mykasa is our heart and soul but can she hit a 3? She's almost open everytime, so opposing players tend to back off her which clogs up the middle. I am amazed that Jeff has any hair left....

Yes, Kassa not being a 3 point threat really hurts the inside game. She passed up at least 4 open mid range shots and made the one she took. Her form looks good. She doesn't have a weird release or anything, but she doesn't want to shoot.

First, I do agree that the lack of inside production says it all but it's not all on the guards inability or unwillingness to pass inside. Of two of HVL's TO's were a result of her passing the ball down low to Harris who was in good position. Instead of her spinning or making a move to the basket, she passes the ball back to HVL like a hot potato and the spacing is off and leads to a turnover. Cochran started the game playing more as a 4, which she thinks she's more suited but she can't guard a 4 and ended up with 2 early fouls. Got nothing from Harris. Its also kind of weird that the last 2 games, Konno starts but then plays very little in the 3rd and 4th. I agree that Mykasa is our heart and soul but can she hit a 3? She's almost open everytime, so opposing players tend to back off her which clogs up the middle. I am amazed that Jeff has any hair left....
MyKasa is far more valuable at other aspects of the game. She’s our best defender, she gets her share of rebounds and on the offensive end she keeps the ball moving and assists. The team isn’t a little better when Mykasa’s in its a lot better.
As far as HVL as of late she’s as likely to over penetrate and get under the basket to the point she forces a shot that will never go in or try to pass it out for a turnover. Her shooting has been sporadic at best. Not sure what’s going on with, but she’s clearly not herself right now.
Harris had a bad game, but with her it’s to be expected she is a freshman. I still believe she’ll be one of best players in the future.
I’ve been really hard on CC but when she plays within her game she’s darn good. That is to say she doesn’t play me ball. Tonight her shooting was key for sure.

I am on the road but I missed the game so it is hard for me to comment on our performance. I will say that it doesn’t matter what our opponents record is because I have watched a lot of games in the ACC, SEC and B1G and all the conference games are close. It doesn’t matter if it is the highest ranked team against the lowest ranked team. 10th ranked ND struggled to beat Pitt tonight who is ranked as one of the bottom teams in our conference.

I will say that our team will go as far as our defense will take us. Duke has been successful because of their defense when they aren’t playing good defense they aren’t going to win. After all the games I have watched this year there are only about 6 or 8 teams that look like they can go all the way. I used to think Ohio State was one of those teams but they look awful now.

I do not normally agree with the announcers on much of anything, but in a very real sense this UL team is “gelling” and this come from behind conference win on the road is another example, just ask UNC after falling apart at Syracuse.

It is all relative (sorry WVU fans), comparing this UL WBB team to the rest of the P5 conference schools; we are definitely improving despite several serious deficiencies. Our defense is the reason we are surviving these close encounters, as HVL is struggling with her shot and still too many TOs. Olivia has regressed, but still finds a way to contribute in spite of her mistakes. Harris was absent last night, but Russell filled in nicely and Dixon played much better inside in her few minutes.

Konno missed her two open 3point attempts, and that pretty much sums up what this team is experiencing ……… offensive struggles that are overcome by great defensive effort and execution on the other end.

No, this team is not as talented or as experienced as last year, and we are not likely to have as much year end success, but I believe we are improving as a team. If HVL re-gains her shooting eye and the team can cut down on the TOs, we could surprise a lot of folks come ACC an and NCAA tournament time.

For further evidence of our improvement, watch next Monday and we will be recognized In the top 25 for the first time since the slow start.

Yes, Kassa not being a 3 point threat really hurts the inside game. She passed up at least 4 open mid range shots and made the one she took. Her form looks good. She doesn't have a weird release or anything, but she doesn't want to shoot.
Excellent take. I saw the same thing. She had open looks - Shoot the ball!

Our inside threats must be able to finish inside - I absolutely agree. They often get open and don’t get fed the ball. As mentioned, when they get the ball the tend to struggle. What can help with this is to have HVL and Morgan drive to the basket.

Our inside threats must be able to finish inside - I absolutely agree. They often get open and don’t get fed the ball. As mentioned, when they get the ball the tend to struggle. What can help with this is to have HVL and Morgan drive to the basket.
When Morgan drives she usually doesn't pass, its to score, which I think she could do more of. HVL had 3 really nice passes to our bigs last night and they were successful because our bigs didn't have to do anything but lay it in. Cochran went she gets the ball in close, almost always takes an extra dribble letting smaller players strip the ball from her. There was one play that Dixon had the ball at the basket and just fumbled the ball out of bounds. Hands of stone...

Excellent take. I saw the same thing. She had open looks - Shoot the ball!
That’s just not her game. If it was, she’d be All American. She’s only shooting 38% and is 0 for 5 from 3pt, despite having wide open looks all the time. It’s better for the team if she continues to pass the ball or penetrate rather than take the first open shot she gets.

Late in the shot clock is a completely different story….

That’s just not her game. If it was, she’d be All American. She’s only shooting 38% and is 0 for 5 from 3pt, despite having wide open looks all the time. It’s better for the team if she continues to pass the ball or penetrate rather than take the first open shot she gets.

Late in the shot clock is a completely different story….
My point is that everyone including our opponents know that its not her game and that allows them to clog the inside or double up on HVL or CC. She doesn't need to shoot every time she's open but she needs to keep the defense honest either by driving and pulling up for a 10-12 foot shot or pass the ball to an open player. Right now the defense just falls back and expect her to pass usually to HVL and the defense is able to react to that. There was one play where she did that, everyone thought she was going to hand the ball off to HVL but then drove to the basket. She needs to do more of that. When Carr is coming off the bench, Konno reluctant to shoot and we are getting less than 10 points from the inside, we need more offense. Our defense is making the difference but we could go a long way if our offense started clicking. By the way, I love what Mykasa brings to the team but as a senior she needs to realize that some of her teammates are not producing (offense) as they should.

Reactions: Bardman
Mykasa is so valuable to us but shooting 3 pointers is not the reason why. I agree if she does not feel comfortable shooting them let her leave it up to the 3 point shooters. I know a lot of us in the past including myself have gotten upset when somebody who doesn’t normally shoot them starts shooting them and misses them especially at crucial times in the game.

Well, I wasn't saying she should shoot 3 pointers but the midrange shots she should take. She passed up four midrange shots while the defense was denying the entry pass in the paint.
Often other players have passed up midrange shots in order to give HVL a touch. IMO this is when the offense bogs down. All of these young ladies were scorers in HS or on their former team. The puzzling thing is regardless of the shooter, the other four players do not crash the board once the shot is taken. They stand and watch the shot.

Exactly- I Never said I expect her to shoot 3s. It is those 10-15 ft shots she needs to take.

Reactions: HiStepper
If UL takes care of business today, they will advance once again in the ACC standings, as VT and FSU play each other and someone loses and goes to 5 conference losses. Miami is an underdog at Duke, so that is another opportunity for UL to rise ahead.

We play ND twice, and not trying to get too far ahead of myself, but it is a possibility that we could beat the Irish twice and finish in 2nd place behind only Duke. While I do not expect that outcome, it is a testament to these Lady Cards resiliency that is even numerically possible.

We host both Miami and ND, so both of those contests to end the regular season will ultimately determine our own fate. I like our chances, as our other conference opponents will have something to say about where all of this ends up.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
It’s early, but Syracuse is giving ND in South Bend all they want in the 1st quarter. This Orange team has to be the best 16-9 (7-7) team in the country.

Tough loss at ND; one where UL was victimized by one-sided officiating in several critical points in the contest.

The ACC tournament is going to be the most competitive ever, as these regular season games being played on home courts have been heavily affected by officiating going in favor of the host school.

Tough loss at ND; one where UL was victimized by one-sided officiating in several critical points in the contest.

The ACC tournament is going to be the most competitive ever, as these regular season games being played on home courts have been heavily affected by officiating going in favor of the host school.
Please stop bellyaching before the activity takes place... I thought kitties were the only ones who always complained about officiating.

I watched a newscaster go on for minutes about the holding call against Philadelphia late in the game as being a bad call at a critical point in the game. It got me to thinking that if Kansas City had not recovered the fumble early in the game and scored, Philadelphia would have won and if Kansas City had not scored all those points in the second half, they would have lost. The point here is that there are many "what if" situations in most close games. A ref's call is but one of them. The refs just don't have the benefit of close TV shots like fans do.

It’s true, the officiating of WBB is universally bad. The advantage for the Irish in South Bend is just more than anywhere else in the ACC right now. The bad calls are one thing, but those two (2) “no calls” late in the game against UL were game changing in favor of ND.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT