ADVERTISEMENT

**Open Discussion For 2016-17 Season For Both UL/UK Posters**

LockdownCard

1500+
Nov 11, 2014
This here is an open discussion for both UL and UK for the upcoming season. The reason I started this thread is because both squads can take a step forward this season.

I'd like to know how both fanbases feel about both teams and how the think each squad ends the season. I'll start by saying UL will go as far as the O-line and defense takes us. I believe we return nearly all our starters with the addition of some really good talent. Excited to football season to come around.

Thanks,

Go Cards!

There's so many unknowns with UK, especially on offense, but I'll give it a shot.

UK is breaking in a new OC and a new starting QB. I like the hire of Gran, and I actually think he'll be a HC in a couple of years. I think he'll adjust the offense to the strengths of the players on the field, unlike Dawson, who said he didn't adjust play calling based on personnel. It was hard to get a read on QB Barker, as he only attempted 18 passes, and it was a spring game. I do know that he's a tough kid, is athletic enough to have the read option and some designed QB runs mixed in, as well as the full confidence of the staff.

As for the rest of the offense, I love our RBs, WRs, and TEs. The OL will be a great run blocking line, but may struggle in pass protection. The Juco Tate was supposed to come in and take the starting LT position, but hasn't beaten out a returning starter. Granted, he may still be getting acclimated, but Tackle in general is a worrisome spot in pass protection. I wouldn't be surprised to see Landon Young come in and win one of the starting Tackle spots as a true Freshman.

On defense, there really isn't a bunch to go on, because of so many new faces. Losing Hatcher hurt big time. DL is very troubling, especially the interior of the line. Most likely UK will get ran over again this year. LB is young and inexperienced, but lots of potential. Really like Ware, Allen, Laster, Love, and Jones. They'll for sure take their lumps though.

Now, UK's strongest group is the secondary. Those guys are young, but have played a bunch of snaps. Westry is a beast. He displayed that last year as a true Freshman. Baity took his lumps last year, but had some great moments. Darius West became a starter later in the year, and he's a missle at Safety. However, Mike Edwards came on very strong late in he year as a RS Freshman. He has excellent coverage skills as a Safety, great instincts, can read plays, is a heavy hitter, and has great closing speed. He has been labeled as the best player on the team.

Anyways, I think the UK UofL game will be a high scoring game because of UofL's offense, and UK's ball hawking defense. Hope you guys have an injury free summer.

Reactions: LockdownCard
On Louisville...Ceiling is 11-1...the floor is 7-5 my prediction for this year is 9-3 Overall and 6-2 in the ACC...Game that worries me in the ACC is at UVa.

On Kentucky...Ceiling is 5-7 the floor is 3-9 my prediction for this year 4-8 Overall and 1-7 in the SEC...Key Game for them is Missouri.

On the Governor Cup barring injury Louisville 41 Kentucky 17....Kentucky just doesn't have an answer for Lamar Jackson along with their OL will have a extremely difficult time keeping the Louisville edge rushers out of their backfield...the seat finally get HOT for Mark Stoops.

Last edited:
I think the ceiling for UK is 6 wins, barring a break out season from Barker, and the D line being better than expected. I think 5 is more likely with 4 a strong possibility.

Louisville could have a monster year if Jackson improves like QB like most players do from freshman to sophomore. Kid is a special player and can single handedly win games for the Cards. You get that and a little better running game and look out. I'm going to say 11 wins is the ceiling, 10 wins a strong possibility.

As for the Governor Cup, at this point I just don't see the Cats slowing down Jackson or being able to out score the Cards in a shootout.

I said in another thread, I think we're going 10-2 this season. I would love to go 11-1 but I'll be realistic. The players that were freshman last season will improve. (an improving Lamar Jackson could be scary for defenses)

For UK I'll say 4-8 or 5-7. To me, UK will do like they did last year (which win a SEC game that people think they shouldn't) and as far as the rivalry game, UK didn't have an answer for LJ last season (and he was just a freshman), they certainly won't have an answer for him this season.

UofL 9-3 to 11-1. uahkay, 2-10 to 4-8 at best. Hot seat or not Barnhart has almost assured Stoops of 5 years with the stupid contract extension. UofL 45, uahkay 10.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

It really all depends on injuries. If key position players get hurt then all bets are off what happens. Depth is another factor. Right now I think the depth on UofL's roster is better prepared to absorb some injuries which otherwise could derail a promising season. In college football you have to go 3 deep at most positions, and I feel UofL is closer to that magic number than ever before in their history.

Regarding UofK? IDK crap about their team. I don't follow them close enough to understand if they're going to be better or not. If history is any indication, then they'll suck again. We'll see.

As for the rest of the offense, I love our RBs, WRs, and TEs. .

Curious as to why you love your WRs. They dropped a ton of passes last year and a few of them were part of an orchestrated team mutiny. Not sure what's to like about those guys. They've all under performed pretty much. All of them. I'm sure you can defend them and point to QB play but they did drop passes and they did mail it in.

I'll say your RB Kemp is admirable. He's actually a no nonsense RB that plays the right way. I love RBs willing to put their head down and take what they get to keep their team out of 2nd and long.

This here is an open discussion for both UL and UK for the upcoming season. The reason I started this thread is because both squads can take a step forward this season.

I'd like to know how both fanbases feel about both teams and how the think each squad ends the season. I'll start by saying UL will go as far as the O-line and defense takes us. I believe we return nearly all our starters with the addition of some really good talent. Excited to football season to come around.

Thanks,

Go Cards!
I'd agree with most of the posts I've read so far, Louisville anywhere from 8 to 11 wins...UK 2 to 4 wins.

I saw three U of L open practices, and the Cards are definitely physically able to compete with any team this season. As much as I hate to, I have to agree with one national pundit who stated that U of L has yet to beat any of the really elite teams on the schedule. That has to change to get to the next level. Hopefully with an ultra-talented sophomore QB, a more mature O-Line, a ton of options at WR / TE and an experienced, loaded defense...this will be the year.

As for UK: I haven't seen them this spring. I'm going off what I saw last year and with their returning players; this is not a good football team. Barker is an average QB on his best day. The receivers have to consistently catch passes to be effective; seen no evidence of that to date. I see no way this defense can contain any decent offense. I am absolutely NOT a Stoops fan. This guy is in over his head in a big way. You can see the confusion and panic in his face during a game. The recruiting prowess we have all heard of; where is the evidence? Recruiting services ratings? That and a handsome tip might get you a free cup of coffee. I would like to see the Cats progress and become a competitive squad (it would help the Cards SOS), but I just don't see it happening anywhere in the near future.

Like Cards win posted, Stoops needs to reel in his emotions a bit. He has a tendency of getting so upset at the previous play it affects his decision making on the next play.

He also needs to let the OC control the offense, his strength is defense.

For the love of god do something with special teams.

As for Barker, we haven't seen enough of him to say he's average at best to this point in my mind. You may end up being right.

Curious as to why you love your WRs. They dropped a ton of passes last year and a few of them were part of an orchestrated team mutiny. Not sure what's to like about those guys. They've all under performed pretty much. All of them. I'm sure you can defend them and point to QB play but they did drop passes and they did mail it in.

I'll say your RB Kemp is admirable. He's actually a no nonsense RB that plays the right way. I love RBs willing to put their head down and take what they get to keep their team out of 2nd and long.

Well, what I love about that unit is the potential. 8 of UK's 10 leading pass catchers were true Sophomores last season, with another being a true Freshman. Saying they have underperformed is rushing to judgement a bit too quickly I'd say.

Also, the dropped passes issue is an exaggeration, at least in terms of the amount of drops vs targets. I'll see if I can find the post with the actual numbers, but their drop percentage was about at the national average. What made the issue appear greater than it was is the timing of the drops and the scheme the offense was running. UK's offense was pretty much run the ball and bombing the ball down field to take advantage of one of Towles' strengths, his arm strength. When it's 3rd and 7 and a WR is attempting to catch a 30 yard pass if they drop it, it tends to stick in your memory. Towles accuracy and scheme were also contributing factors.

Finally, there was a divide in the locker room last season. A bunch of those true Sophomore WRs felt the QB position wasn't held to the same standard as the other positions, a bunch wanted Barker, and many didn't like Dawson or his play calling. There are rumors the WRs stopped putting their bodies on the line to make catches because they were tired of Towles putting them in the position to get destroyed. Our football writer on the HoB says that the locker room issues were a little worse than some other places he's covered, but that locker room issues are far more common and severe than the average fan knows.

Well, what I love about that unit is the potential. 8 of UK's 10 leading pass catchers were true Sophomores last season, with another being a true Freshman. Saying they have underperformed is rushing to judgement a bit too quickly I'd say.

Also, the dropped passes issue is an exaggeration, at least in terms of the amount of drops vs targets. I'll see if I can find the post with the actual numbers, but their drop percentage was about at the national average. What made the issue appear greater than it was is the timing of the drops and the scheme the offense was running. UK's offense was pretty much run the ball and bombing the ball down field to take advantage of one of Towles' strengths, his arm strength. When it's 3rd and 7 and a WR is attempting to catch a 30 yard pass if they drop it, it tends to stick in your memory. Towles accuracy and scheme were also contributing factors.

Finally, there was a divide in the locker room last season. A bunch of those true Sophomore WRs felt the QB position wasn't held to the same standard as the other positions, a bunch wanted Barker, and many didn't like Dawson or his play calling. There are rumors the WRs stopped putting their bodies on the line to make catches because they were tired of Towles putting them in the position to get destroyed. Our football writer on the HoB says that the locker room issues were a little worse than some other places he's covered, but that locker room issues are far more common and severe than the average fan knows.
The whole locker room divide comes down to coaching. Coach Stoops isn't one who demands respect and discipline from his players. The biggest example of that would be the 2014 pregame crap your players pulled at PJCS. And as far as the WR group not wanting Towles to be QB, that is a joke considering that those guy weren't good receivers despite what they were ranked coming out of high school.

IMO Stoops should have taken a lower level coaching job instead of UK. A coach simply can't learn on the job at a lower level SEC school.

Right now, I'll go with 9-3. Just not sold yet on our O-line's ability to open the holes for a consistent running game. I see very possible losses to FSU and Clemson, and possibly @ Houston.
Houston caught us by surprise last year. No one can honestly say that they saw that team being as good and talented they were, especially their QB.

Like Cards win posted, Stoops needs to reel in his emotions a bit. He has a tendency of getting so upset at the previous play it affects his decision making on the next play.

He also needs to let the OC control the offense, his strength is defense.

For the love of god do something with special teams.

As for Barker, we haven't seen enough of him to say he's average at best to this point in my mind. You may end up being right.
Barker has the greenlight now but I'm afraid he isn't suited for the job but I may be wrong considering I'm basing my assumptions off of watching him play two game last season. Nothing he done stood out to me.

There's so many unknowns with UK, especially on offense, but I'll give it a shot.

UK is breaking in a new OC and a new starting QB. I like the hire of Gran, and I actually think he'll be a HC in a couple of years. I think he'll adjust the offense to the strengths of the players on the field, unlike Dawson, who said he didn't adjust play calling based on personnel. It was hard to get a read on QB Barker, as he only attempted 18 passes, and it was a spring game. I do know that he's a tough kid, is athletic enough to have the read option and some designed QB runs mixed in, as well as the full confidence of the staff.

As for the rest of the offense, I love our RBs, WRs, and TEs. The OL will be a great run blocking line, but may struggle in pass protection. The Juco Tate was supposed to come in and take the starting LT position, but hasn't beaten out a returning starter. Granted, he may still be getting acclimated, but Tackle in general is a worrisome spot in pass protection. I wouldn't be surprised to see Landon Young come in and win one of the starting Tackle spots as a true Freshman.

On defense, there really isn't a bunch to go on, because of so many new faces. Losing Hatcher hurt big time. DL is very troubling, especially the interior of the line. Most likely UK will get ran over again this year. LB is young and inexperienced, but lots of potential. Really like Ware, Allen, Laster, Love, and Jones. They'll for sure take their lumps though.

Now, UK's strongest group is the secondary. Those guys are young, but have played a bunch of snaps. Westry is a beast. He displayed that last year as a true Freshman. Baity took his lumps last year, but had some great moments. Darius West became a starter later in the year, and he's a missle at Safety. However, Mike Edwards came on very strong late in he year as a RS Freshman. He has excellent coverage skills as a Safety, great instincts, can read plays, is a heavy hitter, and has great closing speed. He has been labeled as the best player on the team.

Anyways, I think the UK UofL game will be a high scoring game because of UofL's offense, and UK's ball hawking defense. Hope you guys have an injury free summer.
Westry is really good and could play for any team in the country IMO. He will be a star for you guys.

I also need to see improvement in our Offensive Line and in quality depth as injuries are part of the sport. I expect the OL unit to be better but need to see this in game action. I have us at 10-2; this includes a possible win with either FSU or Clemson and a loss we weren't expecting. For Lexington, I don't follow any of their teams so have no idea or care enough to make a prediction for them.

The whole locker room divide comes down to coaching. Coach Stoops isn't one who demands respect and discipline from his players. The biggest example of that would be the 2014 pregame crap your players pulled at PJCS. And as far as the WR group not wanting Towles to be QB, that is a joke considering that those guy weren't good receivers despite what they were ranked coming out of high school.

IMO Stoops should have taken a lower level coaching job instead of UK. A coach simply can't learn on the job at a lower level SEC school.

The guys on offense have definitely had some attitude issues lol.

I don't think it's fair to say they weren't, or aren't good WRs. Nine of UK's top 10 receivers were true Sophs or younger. I'm looking for the post on drops, but I think judging them like that at this point is premature.

UK's top 3 WRs, all true Sophs had more yards than UofL's top 3 WRs.

Barker has the greenlight now but I'm afraid he isn't suited for the job but I may be wrong considering I'm basing my assumptions off of watching him play two game last season. Nothing he done stood out to me.

He may not be, but he doesn't have to be a future NFL player to be a decent college QB.

Westry is really good and could play for any team in the country IMO. He will be a star for you guys.

Thanks. I'm actually really high on UK's secondary. They just aren't going to get much help from the DL lol.

I think you guys are going to have a great year. I just hope UofL's regular season ends with an L!

The guys on offense have definitely had some attitude issues lol.

I don't think it's fair to say they weren't, or aren't good WRs. Nine of UK's top 10 receivers were true Sophs or younger. I'm looking for the post on drops, but I think judging them like that at this point is premature.

That's fair

I watched the UK spring game and came away feeling sorry for my Wildcat friends. Entering year 4 of the Stoops era with all that star power your fan base has been giddy over and to see the second team offense and defense not only play with the ones, but dominate them in the first half has to be a concern to your fan base. I can see 3-4 wins this year. It won't matter though because Barney backed himself into a corner with Stoops contract extension. As far as UofL, I attended all of the open practices but missed the spring game. I'm not too worried with the Oline. They started putting it together the last few games last season and look like a much better unit this spring. Lamar is improving his skills and Reggie was all over the place. Our tight ends and receivers are as deep as I've ever seen and are benefiting from the new receivers coach. On defense all I can say is they are nasty and we have quality depth at key positions. I see a 10-2 season. The one thing we know, Bobby knows how to plug in players and develop young talent. I can't really say Stoops has proven to have the same ability at this point.

I watched the UK spring game and came away feeling sorry for my Wildcat friends. Entering year 4 of the Stoops era with all that star power your fan base has been giddy over and to see the second team offense and defense not only play with the ones, but dominate them in the first half has to be a concern to your fan base. I can see 3-4 wins this year. It won't matter though because Barney backed himself into a corner with Stoops contract extension. As far as UofL, I attended all of the open practices but missed the spring game. I'm not too worried with the Oline. They started putting it together the last few games last season and look like a much better unit this spring. Lamar is improving his skills and Reggie was all over the place. Our tight ends and receivers are as deep as I've ever seen and are benefiting from the new receivers coach. On defense all I can say is they are nasty and we have quality depth at key positions. I see a 10-2 season. The one thing we know, Bobby knows how to plug in players and develop young talent. I can't really say Stoops has proven to have the same ability at this point.

The only real disagreeement I have with the post is with the OL...Not so much with the starters but man Louisville cannot afford any OL injuries...came away with the same impression from watching the Kentucky Spring Game as you got...I picked 5 wins because I do have them beating Vandy @ Home and South Carolina is still a Hot Mess and Muschamp somehow got another HC job...but can see Kentucky also going 4-8 this year.

How many future NFL players would you say is on the team???

The only real disagreeement I have with the post is with the OL...Not so much with the starters but man Louisville cannot afford any OL injuries...came away with the same impression from watching the Kentucky Spring Game as you got...I picked 5 wins because I do have them beating Vandy @ Home and South Carolina is still a Hot Mess and Muschamp somehow got another HC job...but can see Kentucky also going 4-8 this year.
Why is it so damn hard for us to build a good O-Line PE???

More yards, but not more yards per game.

94 more yards for UK's top 3 in 36 games played. UofL's top 3 played 32 games.

UofL's top WR missed the first four games, and eased into playing time once healthy, so the total yards stat is misleading.

But even more importantly, the UofL QB that took the majority of the snaps is a runner, he got 1k on the ground. The UK QB ran for 60 yards.

No reason to argue about this though, I understand you're just standing up for your guys.

More yards, but not more yards per game.

94 more yards for UK's top 3 in 36 games played. UofL's top 3 played 32 games.

UofL's top WR missed the first four games, and eased into playing time once healthy, so the total yards stat is misleading.

But even more importantly, the UofL QB that took the majority of the snaps is a runner, he got 1k on the ground. The UK QB ran for 60 yards.

No reason to argue about this though, I understand you're just standing up for your guys.

As for continued development....trust our guys under Galloway over the Kentucky WR Coach...Galloway proven and has coached up NFL Talents...

Louisville: Beat Charlotte. Win 6 of 7 @ SU, Duke, NC St., @UVa, @BC, Wake and UK. Win 2 of 4 FSU @ Marshall, @ Clemson and @ Houston. 9-3. Marshall really concerns me sandwiched in between FSU and Clemson. That's why I put them in the last group.
Kentucky: Beat Austin Peay. Win 2 of 3 USM, NM St. and Vandy. Win 1 of 6 @ Fla., USCJr., Miss St. @ Mizzou, @ UT, and @ UofL. Lose @ Bama. 4-8.

Louisville: Beat Charlotte. Win 6 of 7 @ SU, Duke, NC St., @UVa, @BC, Wake and UK. Win 2 of 4 FSU @ Marshall, @ Clemson and @ Houston. 9-3. Marshall really concerns me sandwiched in between FSU and Clemson. That's why I put them in the last group.
Kentucky: Beat Austin Peay. Win 2 of 3 USM, NM St. and Vandy. Win 1 of 6 @ Fla., USCJr., Miss St. @ Mizzou, @ UT, and @ UofL. Lose @ Bama. 4-8.

See the Louisville breakdown the exact same way....The Marshall game sandwiched in between FSU/Clemson is a concern and the ACC Game at UVa...UVa has talent and now they have a huge upgrade on the sidelines with Mendenhall

Thanks. I'm actually really high on UK's secondary. They just aren't going to get much help from the DL lol.

I think you guys are going to have a great year. I just hope UofL's regular season ends with an L!
Are any of the five star guys you have coming in getting redshirted? Seem like Elam not doing so has halted his development.

This will be the best offensive UL football team since the return of CBP, unfortunately Clemson, FSU and Houston will be improved as well. I honestly believe 11-1 remains a remote possibility if the OL can execute and stay healthy, but more likely I expect a 9-3 finish. Clemson is good enough to return back to the NC game.

In contrast, this will be the most challenged UK team since Stoops arrived. Yes, they are still a young team and there is some talent at the skill positions, but the low morale of this team is no longer a secret as the coaching departures have left Stoops looking for team and staff leadership that is clearly hard to see. His hiring of Thomas away from UL is a classic example of just how clueless Stoops is ..............everyone familiar with the UL situation knew that Thomas needed to leave and displayed very little in the way of work ethic. Barker has a history of behavior issues and lost whatever little respect of his team mates after the infamous EKU fight. I will be shocked if he remains the starting QB past mid-season. Patrick Towles lost confidence in his receivers and his departure was predictable as he witnessed the mid-season drop in team effort.

Stoops has Barnhart "by the short hairs" and he knows that his future career as a HC at a Power 5 conference school is badly damaged now, and his retirement plans will begin the day UK finally concedes that his huge buyout is the lesser of two evils. His lack of control during the games is only exceeded by his inability to extract marked improvement from the 4 Star recruits that Marrow has brought in from Ohio.

The opening game against Southern Miss will be critical; a win could mean as good as 5-7, but a loss would be devastating and could lead to 3-9. My prediction is in between ......a 4-8 record and that will start the transfer train out of Lexington.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT