ADVERTISEMENT

One more record projection....and too early

Dec 16, 2015
Okay folks.....

Here goes about three months out from the first snap:

Just as a far outsider looking in, I will say Louisville goes for a seven win season. I think you have a coach that the kids will run through walls for, BUT I also think you guys are light on the lines.
You lost a lot of firepower from your offense, so I of course have absolutely no idea what you have back. From what Ive seen over Scott Satterfield's run of all of two years, I think you will be IN all the games but one.....Clemson is a meat grinder. BUT I think as the season rolls the lines wear down....not because of anything but just size. You got good kids that are fighters...but they are gonna be in a different weight class most of the season. So....bold prediction: Seven wins for the University of Louisville.

Kentucky.....ahhhh.....here I go. I am concerned because the middle of the offense is gone....Jackson to the Lions, Wilson to New Mexico. O-lines are a unit that takes some time....and there's a new O Line coach as well as REALLY new Offensive coordinator.....and did I mention a new quarterback? The defense lost Bohanna to the Cowboys, Hoskins to the Panthers, Davis to the Washington Football Team, Watson to the Steelers, Echols to the Jets, and Joseph to the 'boys as well.....now whether they stick or not, ya got me. BUT they are gone. Secondary will be fine. Outside linebackers fine. MIDDLE??????no clue. AND....,as yet, no edge rusher.
Soooooo......after saying all that I think Kentucky gets the three OOC games pretty easy, a win over Vandy and South Carolina, and I will go WAAAAAAAY out on a limb and say this is another year where the Cats beat Tennessee......which put something like 25 kids in the transfer portal plus a ton of decommits. Thats six. I think these kids MAY take out Missou. not Georgia, Florida, LSU....I hope for one, realize thats a mountain to climb. Sight unseen I think Kentucky wins a bizaare game with Louisville that belies anything that happens during the season.....and because Im a Cat fan.
so....Kentucky 7 wins, outside shot at 8.

You guys definitely know more about your team than I.....so what say you?

Okay folks.....

Just as a far outsider looking in, I will say Louisville goes for a seven win season. I think you have a coach that the kids will run through walls for, BUT I also think you guys are light on the lines.
You lost a lot of firepower from your offense, so I of course have absolutely no idea what you have back. From what Ive seen over Scott Satterfield's run of all of two years, I think you will be IN all the games but one.....Clemson is a meat grinder. BUT I think as the season rolls the lines wear down....not because of anything but just size. You got good kids that are fighters...but they are gonna be in a different weight class most of the season. So....bold prediction: Seven wins for the University of Louisville.

Kentucky.....ahhhh.....here I go. I am concerned because the middle of the offense is gone....Jackson to the Lions, Wilson to New Mexico. O-lines are a unit that takes some time....and there's a new O Line coach as well as REALLY new Offensive coordinator.....and did I mention a new quarterback? The defense lost Bohanna to the Cowboys, Hoskins to the Panthers, Davis to the Washington Football Team, Watson to the Steelers, Echols to the Jets, and Joseph to the 'boys as well.....now whether they stick or not, ya got me. BUT they are gone. Secondary will be fine. Outside linebackers fine. MIDDLE??????no clue. AND....,as yet, no edge rusher.
Soooooo......after saying all that I think Kentucky gets the three OOC games pretty easy, a win over Vandy and South Carolina, and I will go WAAAAAAAY out on a limb and say this is another year where the Cats beat Tennessee......which put something like 25 kids in the transfer portal plus a ton of decommits. Thats six. I think these kids MAY take out Missou. not Georgia, Florida, LSU....I hope for one, realize thats a mountain to climb. Sight unseen I think Kentucky wins a bizaare game with Louisville that belies anything that happens during the season.....and because Im a Cat fan.

Looking at the game, it's known versus unknown.

You guys have a lot better size and talent right now. Better depth. The question mark is your passing offense and new playcaller, but that didn't matter too much because you all still dominated us without throwing a pass as your offensive line is amazing. The Rodriguez kid at RB and that offensive line are nice. If the passing attack becomes even just slightly below average compared to being awful, you guys could have a nice little team. If your supposed new OC is the new savior (not likely), then I'd concede you guys have a good team. But fairly evaluating your program, your staff is building strong lines and can really develop talent on defense. Offensive play calling and QB play is just atrocious, but somehow you guys have managed to get around it. Right now you guys are a quality power 5 program over the last 5 years and Stoops has done a miracle considering the trash of a program you have always been. You aren't a powerhouse, but you have a quality team that can compete and put out NFL talent. That's really where I see the difference right now, you guys just have size and depth that has created a talent gap between programs.

As for UofL? We have nothing known. I feel good about our offensive line, feels like a solid group, not amazing but solid. Malik is experienced at QB and can be a weapon. But, we have to replace 2 legit NFL wideouts and a 1,000 yard rusher. Those 3 carried our offense and made it easier. I'm not getting into the mindset of "Scott will just plug someone new in and we'll be right back" because I remember how Puma sliding in for Lamar wasn't going to be a huge step down. I don't know how we will score points, I don't know what will be our strengths.

Defense? I think we are getting better every day. We finally have consistency. The depth and size is much stronger. But also, we were at rock bottom so just being a below average defense is much better than the worst defense in Power 5. I think it's a group that can play hard and compete, but there's just a talent gap. I think it's just going to be a well coached group that will be limited due to physical ability.

Luckily, the ACC isn't too scary. UCF, EKU, BC, FSU, Wake, NC State, Cuse, UVA & Duke are all games we can walk into and fell like we either should win or have a good to 50/50 shot. Now, we won't win them all but I think 6-3 in those 9 games should be expected at a minimum. UK & Ole Miss are probably more talented, but they aren't crazy dominant programs and we can get them on a good day, we'll be underdogs but not huge. Clemson is the only real game fully out of reach.

I think a floor of 4-8 and ceiling of 8-4 is where we are this year. The floor is "everything goes wrong" and the ceiling is "everything goes right". I don't see the talent this year and the young talent coming in is not very experienced. 2023 has been my target year for Scott, this year I just want to see fight, 2022 I want to see good results, and 2023 I want to be a ranked team.

Looking at the game, it's known versus unknown.

You guys have a lot better size and talent right now. Better depth. The question mark is your passing offense and new playcaller, but that didn't matter too much because you all still dominated us without throwing a pass as your offensive line is amazing. The Rodriguez kid at RB and that offensive line are nice. If the passing attack becomes even just slightly below average compared to being awful, you guys could have a nice little team. If your supposed new OC is the new savior (not likely), then I'd concede you guys have a good team. But fairly evaluating your program, your staff is building strong lines and can really develop talent on defense. Offensive play calling and QB play is just atrocious, but somehow you guys have managed to get around it. Right now you guys are a quality power 5 program over the last 5 years and Stoops has done a miracle considering the trash of a program you have always been. You aren't a powerhouse, but you have a quality team that can compete and put out NFL talent. That's really where I see the difference right now, you guys just have size and depth that has created a talent gap between programs.

As for UofL? We have nothing known. I feel good about our offensive line, feels like a solid group, not amazing but solid. Malik is experienced at QB and can be a weapon. But, we have to replace 2 legit NFL wideouts and a 1,000 yard rusher. Those 3 carried our offense and made it easier. I'm not getting into the mindset of "Scott will just plug someone new in and we'll be right back" because I remember how Puma sliding in for Lamar wasn't going to be a huge step down. I don't know how we will score points, I don't know what will be our strengths.

Defense? I think we are getting better every day. We finally have consistency. The depth and size is much stronger. But also, we were at rock bottom so just being a below average defense is much better than the worst defense in Power 5. I think it's a group that can play hard and compete, but there's just a talent gap. I think it's just going to be a well coached group that will be limited due to physical ability.

Luckily, the ACC isn't too scary. UCF, EKU, BC, FSU, Wake, NC State, Cuse, UVA & Duke are all games we can walk into and fell like we either should win or have a good to 50/50 shot. Now, we won't win them all but I think 6-3 in those 9 games should be expected at a minimum. UK & Ole Miss are probably more talented, but they aren't crazy dominant programs and we can get them on a good day, we'll be underdogs but not huge. Clemson is the only real game fully out of reach.

I think a floor of 4-8 and ceiling of 8-4 is where we are this year. The floor is "everything goes wrong" and the ceiling is "everything goes right". I don't see the talent this year and the young talent coming in is not very experienced. 2023 has been my target year for Scott, this year I just want to see fight, 2022 I want to see good results, and 2023 I want to be a ranked team.
You lost me early when you praised Kentucky’s talent from their 4-6 team. I quit reading, so I apologize if you were being sarcastic....

Okay folks.....

Bill, just looking at year end Sagarins, UK would be favored in 9 matchups for 2021. Yes the teams all will be different, but an “outside shot of 8 “ would seem a little low for the high side for UK

UL has what I believe would be a floor of 5 and a ceiling of 9. I think UCF losing Chumlee after being on a downward slope makes that game a more likely UL win.

I like our offensive line Bill. Defensive line is an unknown, but I like everything else on D.

I got us at 6-7 wins with an outside shot at 8 as well. We always drop 1-2 we shouldn’t and have a gauntlet of a non-conference schedule.

I think the UK vs U of L game will be closer this year. We won’t have a flu/food poisoning like last time hopefully so we won’t die in the 2nd half on offense. I think it’ll be a grind it out game where the offenses run over the defenses but not high in a powered fashion. Look for a 35-31 game either way, no idea who wins.

Reactions: rh62531
I have no idea what to expect from Louisville. Last year was such an odd year, it felt like a season-long exhibition with an asterisk. The Cards played would play well, and then screw all of that up with multiple turnovers. I'm not mad at any of the Louisville sports for this past academic year, the whole thing was just one big anomaly and I'm throwing it all out with no judgment.

Reactions: billoliver40
Billoliver40 uahkay does not beat UofL this year - not as things stand today. Meaning barring serious injuries.

GO CARDS!!!
Lol....we.get to see. Gotta growing to do, and I think all our biggest hopes are no major injuries this season.

Reactions: gocds
You lost me early when you praised Kentucky’s talent from their 4-6 team. I quit reading, so I apologize if you were being sarcastic....
My bad. Forgot the protocol here that nothing positive about UK is allowed..

UK has the talent of a 0-12 roster. Any time they win a game it’s because they paid the refs and cheated. They are ugly and smelly also.

UK has the talent of a 0-12 roster. Any time they win a game it’s because they paid the refs and cheated. They are ugly and smelly also.
Ah ha,now you “get it”. 😂

GO CARDS!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Mayoman

Kentucky had one of the worst offenses in football, and just an average defense last season. They were 4-6 before playing NC State in which NCST was short about 20 players. That’s why I don’t want you to try to pump them up into something they aren’t.

We were 39 to Kentucky’s 45 ranking on defense. We were 29 and Kentucky wasn’t top 50 in offense. Tell me what I am missing?

Last edited:
First I'd heard about State being 20 short...I had picked up on 3/4 going in..but I wont doubt you....just hadn't heard that.
UK offensive woe is getting to legend area, but to be honest a lot of that is coach style...grind it out behind a good line, bend (too much) defense. Some of the style issue may be addressed. Defensive stats were good enough until Alabama (I think they just scored again),
And what looked like an almost throw in the towel in the second half against the Gators.
Still got Florida, Georgia, an LSU team that was rounding back up to form season end and whatever Missou is this year.
I expect a better year.
Covid played havoc on all teams NOT called Alabama last season, and the sickness/death of Coach Shlarman was a pall that lasted from after the Tennessee win until a close with two teams that had worse conditions.

The record is what UK was, no doubt.
I just believe this team will be better when it gains its footing under a different slant.

A pass to the tight ends is promised, and I dont think we saw more than two or three if those a game.

Last edited:
First I'd heard about State being 20 short...I had picked up on 3/4 going in..but I wont doubt you....just hadn't heard that.
UK offensive woe is getting to legend area, but to be honest a lot of that is coach style...grind it out behind a good line, bend (too much) defense. Some of the style issue may be addressed. Defensive stats were good enough until Alabama (I think they just scored again),
And what looked like an almost throw in the towel in the second half against the Gators.
Still got Florida, Georgia, an LSU team that was rounding back up to form season end and whatever Missou is this year.
I expect a better year.
Covid played havoc on all teams NOT called Alabama last season, and the sickness/death of Coach Shlarman was a pall that lasted from after the Tennessee win until a close with two teams that had worse conditions.

The record is what UK was, no doubt.
I just believe this team will be better when it gains its footing under a different slant.

A pass to the tight ends is promised, and I dont think we saw more than two or three if those a game.
I may have exaggerated a little bit about 20 players. I do know that NC ST was upset about the bowl bid they had, in the past your fan’s would’ve said that they didn’t want to be there anyway. I can see their point because they shouldn’t have had to play a team with a losing record.

I may have exaggerated a little bit about 20 players. I do know that NC ST was upset about the bowl bid they had, in the past your fan’s would’ve said that they didn’t want to be there anyway. I can see their point because they shouldn’t have had to play a team with a losing record.
That's fair enough. These bowl tie in scenarios break kids hearts....I understand. To be honest there was likely an overlooked attitude from State about both the bowl and opponent.
I do know they had one to three of their top kids out for one reason or another...and UK was missing the kid that was the SEC interception leader as well as the top head case on the team.

It was a good win for the Cats over a legit top 25 team.

But in all honesty, I really wish these bowl tie ins weren't there, even though it certainly benefits both our conferences financially.

Reactions: rockycard
No team with a losing record should never play in a bowl game period. My head would explode if ND ever accepted a bowl bid if they had a losing record. I defiantly wouldn't brag about it.
Not bragging. Most of UK fans were shocked. That goes back to those bowl tie ins I spoke of. No more or less.
Last year EVERY football player deserved a bowl game for grinding through a nightmare season.

As I said....a fine opponent, and a good win over a fine opponent.

Kentucky had one of the worst offenses in football, and just an average defense last season. They were 4-6 before playing NC State in which NCST was short about 20 players. That’s why I don’t want you to try to pump them up into something they aren’t.

We were 39 to Kentucky’s 45 ranking on defense. We were 29 and Kentucky wasn’t top 50 in offense. Tell me what I am missing?
And I know all about those missing players, as I got UK in a nice little parlay for that game. Me being a degenerate gambler has given me a bit more respect for the UK program under Stoops, and a bit more mean more than the 0% respect I had pre-Stoops

I mean my eyes say they're a team with a good defense, good line play, great rushing attack, and the worst passing attack ever. I'd go on, but I don't want to be known as the resident UK defender, but them going 5-6 against the #2 Strength of Schedule (per ESPN) shows that they're a good football team. Not top 25, but a good team nonetheless. Compare that to us with a 4-7 record against the #47 SOS, I would say that we really don't have room to talk. Yes, they beat up on their 3 usual cupcakes, but they still are usually in the middle tier of the SEC now. That isn't great, but it's decent. They're far away from what they were when Stoops arrived and honestly they're way better than those Brooks teams they used to pretend were so good.

There's a level of the NCAA where it's Clemson, Ohio State, Bama, Oklahoma, Texas, Georgia, Texas A&M, LSU, Oregon, Notre Dame type teams. Then you have Wisconsin, Michigan, Auburn, USC, Penn State, Ok State, & miami type programs. That's probably the clear cut top tier of programs from a talent standpoint. Now after that, there's probably 20 or so programs that can all fight to be in the top 20-40 team range and I don't think it's crazy to say UK would be in that range.

Reactions: USMCatFan
And I know all about those missing players, as I got UK in a nice little parlay for that game. Me being a degenerate gambler has given me a bit more respect for the UK program under Stoops, and a bit more mean more than the 0% respect I had pre-Stoops

I mean my eyes say they're a team with a good defense, good line play, great rushing attack, and the worst passing attack ever. I'd go on, but I don't want to be known as the resident UK defender, but them going 5-6 against the #2 Strength of Schedule (per ESPN) shows that they're a good football team. Not top 25, but a good team nonetheless. Compare that to us with a 4-7 record against the #47 SOS, I would say that we really don't have room to talk. Yes, they beat up on their 3 usual cupcakes, but they still are usually in the middle tier of the SEC now. That isn't great, but it's decent. They're far away from what they were when Stoops arrived and honestly they're way better than those Brooks teams they used to pretend were so good.

There's a level of the NCAA where it's Clemson, Ohio State, Bama, Oklahoma, Texas, Georgia, Texas A&M, LSU, Oregon, Notre Dame type teams. Then you have Wisconsin, Michigan, Auburn, USC, Penn State, Ok State, & miami type programs. That's probably the clear cut top tier of programs from a talent standpoint. Now after that, there's probably 20 or so programs that can all fight to be in the top 20-40 team range and I don't think it's crazy to say UK would be in that range.
It’s alright for us to disagree. I know that Kentucky played some good teams, but the only team that they beat with a winning record was NCST.

They lost to two 5-5 teams and a 6-5 team. Their wins were against
4-7
3-7
2-8
0-9

They actually played three really good teams, four decent teams, a four shitty teams. I don’t see how that was the #2 schedule.

Reactions: Mayoman and gocds
It’s alright for us to disagree. I know that Kentucky played some good teams, but the only team that they beat with a winning record was NCST.

They lost to two 5-5 teams and a 6-5 team. Their wins were against
4-7
3-7
2-8
0-9

They actually played three really good teams, four decent teams, a four shitty teams. I don’t see how that was the #2 schedule.
I guess they rate the bad SEC teams better than most. And remember, Bama had UK on their schedule and UK had Bama on their schedule if that makes sense. That helps UK and hurts Bama.

Outside of Clemson and ND the ACC was awful. The bottom Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 12 was awful too. So if you go look at every schedule in the nation, everyone's bottom tier teams were awful. The SEC had the advantage in the SOS rankings that they didn't have any non-conference games to drag the overall ranking down. So in UK's case, it's a 5-6 record against all Power 5 teams.

Last year it's hard to look at records, because it was a much different season. We probably make a bowl if it's a real season. Kentucky is probably a 7-8 win team as usual, not elite but not bad. UK is firmly in the SEC middle class, although their fans think they're close to title contention lol. Because you can point out the teams they beat weren't the best, but that's how you win in college football, you beat the teams you're supposed to beat. When Stoops arrived, they were a team that would've went 0-10 against that schedule. I respect a 5-6 record against all Power 5 teams, better than their 3 MAC wins they build in every season.

I guess they rate the bad SEC teams better than most. And remember, Bama had UK on their schedule and UK had Bama on their schedule if that makes sense. That helps UK and hurts Bama.

Outside of Clemson and ND the ACC was awful. The bottom Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 12 was awful too. So if you go look at every schedule in the nation, everyone's bottom tier teams were awful. The SEC had the advantage in the SOS rankings that they didn't have any non-conference games to drag the overall ranking down. So in UK's case, it's a 5-6 record against all Power 5 teams.

Last year it's hard to look at records, because it was a much different season. We probably make a bowl if it's a real season. Kentucky is probably a 7-8 win team as usual, not elite but not bad. UK is firmly in the SEC middle class, although their fans think they're close to title contention lol. Because you can point out the teams they beat weren't the best, but that's how you win in college football, you beat the teams you're supposed to beat. When Stoops arrived, they were a team that would've went 0-10 against that schedule. I respect a 5-6 record against all Power 5 teams, better than their 3 MAC wins they build in every season.
You really want to mention the Alabama-UK massacre? Alabama destroyed, humiliated, decimated, or maybe executed the Kittens 63-3. They didn't deserve a bowl game IMHO.

You really want to mention the Alabama-UK massacre? Alabama destroyed, humiliated, decimated, or maybe executed the Kittens 63-3. They didn't deserve a bowl game IMHO.
I mean in my red colored UofL fan glasses opinion, their decades of disgracing the sport of football should've banished them to Division II or III. That's what we need to remind them constantly, they've been a drag on the SEC for years and being a middle of the pack SEC team now doesn't change that fact.

But as far as their Bama blowout goes, Bama also decimated Ohio State 52-24 in the National Title game and if you remember OSU beat Clemson 49-28. So getting blown out by Bama was just something that happened. The only team that played Bama within 10 points was Florida. So really, if Bama was that far ahead of programs like OSU and Clemson then UK could only pray for God to send Angels down to play lol

I prayed the same prayer after that Alabama ball carrier jumped over the head of a ND defender and raced down the sideline. They are an amazing team under Coach Saban.

Alabama was playing a different game than everyone else last year. Mac Jones is the poster kid for development. Rode the pine between Hurts and Tua, didn't seem like he could hit the ground if he threw at it, then comes in as starter and burns out stat sheets and scoreboards. Some of those ridiculous numbers came AFTER their Heisman trophy receiver candidate was injured against Tennessee. No prob....they put in a different receiver and won the Heisman with someone else. Lol....almost not fair talent, and THIS YEARS group of frosh are ranked higher. Couple sites state Bama signed 21 five and four star players. Whew.

This year's freshmen class consist of 5-5star, 18-4star, and 4-3star players. It's even worse when you look inside the 4 star group: 8-6.0 just outside 5 star rank, 5-5.9, and 5=5.8. Class Rank according to Rivals. That's insane in my book. Compare it to ND which had the 9th ranked class.
5star-1, 4star-11, 3star-15 4 star group: 1-6.0, 5-5.9, 5-5.8. 3 star group: 8-5.7, 5-5.6, 1-5.5, 1-5.4. Let's look at UK and see how they stack up against Alabama, ND, and Louisville. UK the 35th ranked class: 5star-0, 4star-3, 3star-15. 4 star group: 3-5.8, 3 star group: 5-5.7, 7-5.6, 2-5.5, 1-5.2.
Louisville the 29th ranked class: 5star-0, 4star1, 3star-21. 4 star group: 1-5.8. 3 star group: 6-5.7, 7-5.6, 6-5.5, 1-5.4, 1-5.3.

Sooner or later, those stars make or break a team....
I really have come to believe that looking at kids offer sheets mean more
Which is again useless when its Alabama
Getting who they want sooner or later.
Kentucky and Louisville have to count on a strong red shirt program and player development to get competitive.

Reactions: gocds
"Kentucky and Louisville have to count on a strong red shirt program and player development to get competitive." billoliver40

I think that statement is true for every team not named Alabama and Clemson. It might even include Clemson when you look at their team. I've seen it more with ND after that 2016 masterpiece.

"Kentucky and Louisville have to count on a strong red shirt program and player development to get competitive." billoliver40

I think that statement is true for every team not named Alabama and Clemson. It might even include Clemson when you look at their team. I've seen it more with ND after that 2016 masterpiece.
Hopefully the expanded playoff and transfer portal may even some things out.

Bama and Clemson are stockpiling talent. And to be honest, unless you're 1 of the top 5-6 programs, you have no chance to compete for a title. Now Bama will always get the top guys, but now there's no transfer risk of sitting out and a program like say us in 2012-16 would have a chance to play for a playoff spot, it makes recruiting have a better pitch.

Hopefully the expanded playoff and transfer portal may even some things out.

Bama and Clemson are stockpiling talent. And to be honest, unless you're 1 of the top 5-6 programs, you have no chance to compete for a title. Now Bama will always get the top guys, but now there's no transfer risk of sitting out and a program like say us in 2012-16 would have a chance to play for a playoff spot, it makes recruiting have a better pitch.

We missed our chance in 2006. That makes the Rutgers loss even more painful, 15 years later.

"Damnit Bobby!"

We missed our chance in 2006. That makes the Rutgers loss even more painful, 15 years later.

"Damnit Bobby!"
Michael Bush breaking his leg is what hurts most about that year. Heisman and our national title hopes ended with his broken leg. We would've been so dominant with a true star that they wouldn't have been able to pull the "weak conference" crap. I think that would've taken our program to that next level.

Houston & KenSucky 2016 still hurt, but it all started with Quick not getting that first down. Lamar and a playoff berth? But Bobby gonna Bobby!

So? See you in 2026 where we finally get over the hump!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT