ADVERTISEMENT

One Big telling play

Oct 9, 2001
was the one where Samuels caught a wide open pass 7 yards behind two defenders. Both of those guys caught him at about the 5 and Samuels is one of the fastest guys on the team.
The other consistent thing was the space Lamar had to throw was far less than the space Bryant had.

Not only was there team speed much better, they were stronger.

Though not always true in college football, but this game was a case of superior recruiting. Not always true as we can point to guys like Elam and teams like So. Cal., but if you follow recruiting at all, then Clemson has been near the top. And it showed with superior team speed and depth.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: jts_cards
Clemson is legit. The overall team speed, size, and depth they have is championship quality. I don't think the Cards have a bad football team. Clemson is just much better. Nothing wrong with admitting the obvious.

Looking at the UofL schedule, we could be sitting at 9-3, 10-2, or even 11-1 at the end of the season and that's not bad. We're not going to see another defense like Clemson's this year, and I expect the offense to do well in the remaining games. Our defense got worn down because of Clemson's ability to get our offense off the field. We got dominated so it's time to move forward. Last Saturday was a ass whooping. No doubt about it.

I thought the one big telling play was to punt during the first series on a short 4th and 1. That told me everything I needed to know. Petrino's play calling has now resulted in 4 embarrassing losses out of the last six games. But, everything's fine. Nothing to see here.

I thought the one big telling play was to punt during the first series on a short 4th and 1. That told me everything I needed to know. Petrino's play calling has now resulted in 4 embarrassing losses out of the last six games. But, everything's fine. Nothing to see here.
At that point in the game, I didn't have a problem with the decision. Like us, Petrino probably speculated that he had the better team. (Boy, were we all wrong...) And you don't take undue risks when you have the upper hand.

Later in the game when the balance of power was obvious, you take that chance...

I thought the same thing. If you are going to beat the defending national champions you have to score on that first drive.Not going for it pretty much told Clemson that yeah we're your bitch and you can do whatever you want to us.Clemson had the same situation , went for it, got it, and scored.
Our offense was short run on first down, incomplete pass on second , and third and long all night long.

The biggest play, after the fact, was the penalty on Lamar's run in the 2nd half. The game was over once the pick 6 occurred. That penalty is what bad teams do, shoot themselves in the foot. There was no reason to attempt that block behind the play. Why cut a guy that isn't going to impact they play on top of that why cut someone that is engaged with someone else it is a flag every time. That is play is concerning, the senior player either didn't know play design and/or didn't know the rule either way he wasn't trained correctly in application or knowledge. That is a problem.

Same thing where the corner got burned he is one on one with a receiver why is he looking back into the backfield. He either thought he had help or looking in the backfield is a good idea when in man coverage. Bottom line he wasn't taught properly either in play call or actual technique. That is a problem.

It is OK if a guy beats you when you do everything right, but when they beat you because of lack of knowledge or poor technique or effort that is coaching. The concern is it seems these kind of breakdowns are occurring more often this go around.

If you are going to beat the defending national champions you have to score on that first drive.

Really, so how did Clemson beat Alabama last year?

.Clemson had the same situation , went for it, got it, and scored.

Clemson had 4th and 1 at the 10. Louisville had 4th & 1 at their own 40. Not at all the same situation. Not even close.

This is not a Clemson vs. Louisville thing at this point. All this stuff about players not giving effort or coaches being dumb is ridiculous. Football is pretty simple game. Win the line of scrimmage, win the game. You can have all the schemes and give all the effort you want. If you get beat up front, none of it will work.

If you are going to beat the defending national champions you have to score on that first drive.

.Clemson had the same situation , went for it, got it, and scored.

Clemson had 4th and 1 at the 10. Louisville had 4th & 1 at their own 40. Not at all the same situation. Not even close.

This is not a Clemson vs. Louisville thing at this point. All this stuff about players not giving effort or coaches being dumb is ridiculous. Football is pretty simple game. Win the line of scrimmage, win the game. You can have all the schemes and give all the effort you want. If you get beat up front, none of it will work.
The had had 4th and 2 on our side of the field near mid field on their first drive.

The had had 4th and 2 on our side of the field near mid field on their first drive.

If you're talking about Clemson, you're wrong. Clemson didn't have 4th and 2 at midfield. They had the long pass to Renfrow down around the 20 or so. Then they had 4th and 1 around the 10.

Exactly right!!! I'm sure the players were pretty dejected by half-time as they no doubt saw the writing on the wall. We were simply out-talented and out-played. Except for QB (and their QB played a really good game, but he also often had all the time he wanted), they probably out-man us at most of the positions. Clemson is just an excellent team and it wouldn't surprise me if they win the NCAA title again.

We could have played better but best we would have done was had a closer score. They won the battle of the lines. Pure and simple. Their receivers were open all game long. If anything, our receivers should have caught a few balls that weren't exactly on target.

Reactions: Cue Card
Stansberry's penalty on Lamar's 50 year run was so deflating, you could see it in our player's eyes. We died with that play. Otherwise, we continue yet another successful drive and maybe even discover weaknesses in the D, keep the Defense off the field for a while and Lamar adds to the 100 yards he would have gained in the first half. To my mind, that was a game changer like few I have ever seen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT