ADVERTISEMENT

Odds Increasing that Jurich is Retained

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
The scuttlebutt is that the odds are tilting in Jurich's favor that he will be retained. An interim AD being named has helped buy time for support to build for Jurich. In particular the unanimous support he has from coaches has been important. Also as a practical matter, the university is facing some very stiff financial headwinds so there is concern about being able to afford a buyout for him and Pitino along with the concern of donations being pulled from some donors.

Reactions: GoldCard
The scuttlebutt is that the odds are tilting in Jurich's favor that he will be retained. An interim AD being named has helped buy time for support to build for Jurich. In particular the unanimous support he has from coaches has been important. Also as a practical matter, the university is facing some very stiff financial headwinds so there is concern about being able to afford a buyout for him and Pitino along with the concern of donations being pulled from some donors.
Doesn't this strike you as way too familiar? Retaining someone just because you can't afford to buy them out or release them out of their contract seems to be bad business on the part of the University and good for well, Ramsay, Pitino and Jurich.

Reactions: wilkie01
Doesn't this strike you as way too familiar? Retaining someone just because you can't afford to buy them out or release them out of their contract seems to be bad business on the part of the University and good for well, Ramsay, Pitino and Jurich.

No retaining someone who has all programs running on all cylinders with the exception of BB. As far as I can tell his only issue is a loyalty issue and only that. I’ve got bad news for you the vast majority of fans were in support of keeping Pitino prior to this. And the vast majority are in favor of keeping Jurich.

What’s your solution to not having the money to do this? Raise ticket prices 20% across the board? Raise tuition? Fail to pay market value for talented individuals?

I’ll hang up and listen...

Reactions: GoldCard
This is what happens when the tail wags the dog. Dignity, honor and honesty need to be restored and the financial corruption rooted out.
Do you ever have any solutions - or is all high minded, non-real world thinking from you?

No retaining someone who has all programs running on all cylinders with the exception of BB. As far as I can tell his only issue is a loyalty issue and only that. I’ve got bad news for you the vast majority of fans were in support of keeping Pitino prior to this. And the vast majority are in favor of keeping Jurich.
Does the vast majority still want CRP?

For those thinking tuition won't be raised already, laughthe****outloud. The bottom tier of the University of Louisville always takes the pitfall. I.e. cutting all funding for the Louisville Cardinal, a student newspaper that has been in play since 1926." **** the academia portion of our beloved school, lets reinstate the people who only care about sports, and have tarnished the image of our institution."-some of you dolts that represent this board. -_-

I want all the posters who keep saying Jurich is crooked to let us know what you have to prove it. Jurich or the Athletic Department has nothing to do with tuition hikes, I can't believe anybody would insinuate that.

They do have something to do with an increase in ticket prices, it's called supply and demand. If you can't afford highe ticket prices you don't have to buy them.

Reactions: SoulSr and Cue Card
To have stability and move forward, we need TJ to be reinstated ASSUMING he had nothing to do with trying to buy Brian Bowan or any other recruit.

If there is even a outside possibility that TJ was involved in any type of scheme to pay recruits, then he has to go too.

Reactions: SoulSr
I want all the posters who keep saying Jurich is crooked to let us know what you have to prove it. Jurich or the Athletic Department has nothing to do with tuition hikes, I can't believe anybody would insinuate that.

They do have something to do with an increase in ticket prices, it's called supply and demand. If you can't afford highe ticket prices you don't have to buy them.
It's what he allowed people to do. Also, if you think our budget shortfall has nothing to do with athletics, you're naive beyond belief. Step on to campus and tell me that any money has been put into the buildings our students enter day in, and day out. Humanities and Strickler haven't been renovated since the 70s, Ford Hall and our Student Activity Center is a joke, Ekstrom finally got some money put into it after 15 years of it looking like a run down airport, yet its still half assed and under construction. Our budget is primarily based on funding athletics. I can't believe anyone would insinuate tuition hikes and lack of on campus development, regarding academics is fake news.

You do know that the Athletic Department and the Academic Departments are ran separate and they both generate their own income right? So what you are actually doing is accusing the athletic department of being better managed than the academic departments.
I have an idea why don't we get rid of Postel and hire Jurich to run everything that way the whole university will be better off.

You do know that the Athletic Department and the Academic Departments are ran separate and they both generate their own income right? So what you are actually doing is accusing the athletic department of being better managed than the academic departments.
I have an idea why don't we get rid of Postel and hire Jurich to run everything that way the whole university will be better off.
You do realize the school ultimately shares a budget to fund said advancements, right? Why do you think the athletics department generates more income? (Rhetorical question, brah)

Over it with Rick. I don't care if he did know or didn't know about the adidas crap. His hiring choices after strippergate is grounds for removal in my book.
Even without the scandals, I don't think RP has been worth the money we pay him. And constant, constant DRAMA.

That said, if he's just jumped in the pay-for-play pool, he's been at a serious disadvantage.

But it's rare for someone to get caught on their first attempt.

Reactions: TheCatDaddy
I'm not sure that's entirely true. TJ is a Vice President of the University not VP of Athletics. Maybe this dual leadership role has resulted in conflicts of interest but should it? Shouldn't everything benefit the University itself?

Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
Budget and Financial Planning

Mission Statement

The Office of Budget and Financial Planning is responsible for the preparation and oversight of the University’s General Fund, Foundation, Research, Plant, and Athletic budgets.

'86 - without sports UL is fighting JCTC for students. Like it or not sports helps drive the bus @ UL. Many a school has been saved with an exceptional sports program. That's not just college sports but high school sports as well. Fact of life.

'86 - without sports UL is fighting JCTC for students. Like it or not sports helps drive the bus @ UL. Many a school has been saved with an exceptional sports program. That's not just college sports but high school sports as well. Fact of life.
That's perfectly fine, and we need sports obviously. To what degree do we need them to be the primary focus of the institution?, is the question i'll ask you.

Being the highest revenue earner, you'd think that academics wouldn't have taken a back seat in a stretch limo, as it seems. It's gotten ridiculous. People have just turned a blind eye to it, because of "winning". However the tuition hikes for students just isn't fair, on account of my original argument/statement of nothing has gone into the institution from a regular student/academic standpoint. The buildings and classrooms/technology is beyond outdated. Talk to any professor on campus, and listen to their rhetoric regarding this situation that has been on a downslope for years on end.

Reactions: SouthernCross
We're also not "fighting for students". Look at the enrollment rate statistics from 1989 to 2016, obviously the numbers will inflate due to the time/money/increase in population/overall census regarding Louisville and U of L. My argument is not to be ridden of sports entirely, obviously. It's moreover putting more of our budget towards academics. Sports revenue saw obscene numbers that could benefit the institution greatly, instead of paying off others in athletics department on account of nepotism.

If college administrators are sincerely interested in a level playing field, I suggest that all universities take the same approach as Vanderbilt. They are the only D1 school where their athletics are not run by a separate athletic department, but governed by the university (imagine that). They have also had success in athletics (baseball) and basketball for a short time.

If college administrators are sincerely interested in a level playing field, I suggest that all universities take the same approach as Vanderbilt. They are the only D1 school where their athletics are not run by a separate athletic department, but governed by the university (imagine that). They have also had success in athletics (baseball) and basketball for a short time.
Wouldn't be a bad idea.

As a rival fan I'd love to see Jurich go, but in my opinion it makes sense to retain him.

If he is ultimately let go, he'll have another job in 5 minutes and the new school will be incredibly lucky to have him.

Reactions: Kratz and BPGhost
Even without the scandals, I don't think RP has been worth the money we pay him. And constant, constant DRAMA.

That said, if he's just jumped in the pay-for-play pool, he's been at a serious disadvantage.

But it's rare for someone to get caught on their first attempt.

Who on your 2013 title team could have commanded $100,000 to commit, I'm not saying there weren't some really good players but most had been developed during a full college career. It's more plausible to me that RP got caught up in wanting to land the higher tier recruits that hadn't been available to him so that he could try and win another natty before the retirement he could see forthcoming in the near future. Its terrible how things have unfolded for him and especially U of L but that's what happens to some people when they begin to believe they can walk between rain drops.

If he is ultimately let go, he'll have another job in 5 minutes and the new school will be incredibly lucky to have him.
And in ten minutes all of our coaches will be gone with him if he snaps his fingers. :mad:

Every one of them want to work for HIM, not U of L. That may hurt some feelings, but they're coach's. Nomadic by nature. Find a good boss with facilities? Yeah, they'll go with him if he asks/

Reactions: JohnKBA
As a rival fan I'd love to see Jurich go, but in my opinion it makes sense to retain him.

This is true, the exact reason I believe Tennessee hasn't made a move yet, they'd castrate themselves to get Jurich and Petrino after the melee that happened in Knoxville Saturday!

Reactions: JohnKBA
And in ten minutes all of our coaches will be gone with him if he snaps his fingers. :mad:

Every one of them want to work for HIM, not U of L. That may hurt some feelings, but they're coach's. Nomadic by nature. Find a good boss with facilities? Yeah, they'll go with him if he asks/
Get real. Every coach is just going to quit and follow him wherever whether there are job openings or not. And if there not, he's going to convince their President to fire everyone on staff so he can hire his own coaches. Maybe that kind of thinking is what is the issue here.

Reactions: cwcat
Who on your 2013 title team could have commanded $100,000 to commit, I'm not saying there weren't some really good players but most had been developed during a full college career. It's more plausible to me that RP got caught up in wanting to land the higher tier recruits that hadn't been available to him so that he could try and win another natty before the retirement he could see forthcoming in the near future. Its terrible how things have unfolded for him and especially U of L but that's what happens to some people when they begin to believe they can walk between rain drops.
My guess is that he decided to tear a page out of sweaty cal’s playbook - and put some pressure on adidas to start directing players to UofL in the way that nike has done for kentucky. He figured that if - like sweaty cal - he stayed two steps removed and never touched the cash, the NCAA would never be able to touch him.

He never counted on the fbi, wiretaps and video surveillance.

Get real. Every coach is just going to quit and follow him wherever whether there are job openings or not. And if there not, he's going to convince their President to fire everyone on staff so he can hire his own coaches. Maybe that kind of thinking is what is the issue here.
The "thinking at issue" is the illusion of how independent U of L's fortunes are WRT the big guys on campus. If you think it's easy to replace the Juriches and Pitinos of the world, you're gonna find out the hard way if both get canned. And it doesn't matter one iota how much you like their replacements.

The market doesn't pay people at the top of their professions by accident. Those two guys are/were worth millions for good reason...

My guess is that he decided to tear a page out of sweaty cal’s playbook - and put some pressure on adidas to start directing players to UofL in the way that nike has done for kentucky. He figured that if - like sweaty cal - he stayed two steps removed and never touched the cash, the NCAA would never be able to touch him.

He never counted on the fbi, wiretaps and video surveillance.
Who would have considered that a possibility? The game has been so freaking corrupt for so long plus with all the other crap going on within the FBI, who would have thought they be doing this?

Reactions: BPGhost
Who would have considered that a possibility? The game has been so freaking corrupt for so long plus with all the other crap going on within the FBI, who would have thought they be doing this?
Any self respecting Italian is always keeping an eye on the feds :D

For the dimwits among us ( I’m looking at you Eastwood and ul1986) - that was a joke.

Reactions: arizan and Cue Card
Get real yourself.

You think a school that's on top of their game is going to go out and hire a new AD?

There will be issues, just as there were here when TJ came in. Maybe a lot of issues.

And whatever those issues are, our current coach(s) will be more than happy to help him out.

Does the vast majority still want CRP?

Of course not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT