ADVERTISEMENT

OC idea, David Cutcliffe?

LeFors4Ever

3500+
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2017
So if Satt is staying and staff changes need to be made, we need to add someone that could give us a boost.

We talk about Satt going to Duke, but maybe Cutcliffe can add some things to our staff that we’ve been missing. Cutt still wants to coach it seems?

1. Experienced coach at the highest level. He’s been a head coach in the SEC and ACC. He was an OC and QB coach for some great offense. He’s had to do more with less and won at an almost impossible place. I think just his knowledge alone can give Satt ideas on what needs to be done at this level. He doesn’t really have that on the current staff.

2. He knows how to coach QBs. The Manning’s love the guy. He’d be able to get us in the living room and get us transfer QBs in this market. Much easier to recruit as an OC of UofL than HC for Duke. Whether Scott calls plays or not, Cutt alone would add a level of organization and knowledge to that side of the ball.

3. Connections all over the nation. He coached at UT and Ole Miss with the Manning brothers as QB. He’s been in the Deep South SEC country for recruiting. He’s coached in the ACC for many years and even had his guys poached. He could help Scott in that way as Scott being from APP State lacks that Rolodex of high school and college coaches. It’s just something way better for recruiting.

I really think he’d be a calming influence on this staff. He’d be a bridge between Satt because of their Carolina connections and major power 5 level people. I think it would be a perfect match. It would give us a 2nd HC type that could take a lot of stress of Scott and he can focus on other areas.

If he’s not a stud recruiter we don’t need him. We got destroyed in the trenches, until Satterfield can recruit better it wouldn’t matter who the OC is.

Reactions: luv2hit63
He's old. I think he's done coaching. I could see him in an advisory position at a big time school or an NFL team.

So if Satt is staying and staff changes need to be made, we need to add someone that could give us a boost.

We talk about Satt going to Duke, but maybe Cutcliffe can add some things to our staff that we’ve been missing. Cutt still wants to coach it seems?

1. Experienced coach at the highest level. He’s been a head coach in the SEC and ACC. He was an OC and QB coach for some great offense. He’s had to do more with less and won at an almost impossible place. I think just his knowledge alone can give Satt ideas on what needs to be done at this level. He doesn’t really have that on the current staff.

2. He knows how to coach QBs. The Manning’s love the guy. He’d be able to get us in the living room and get us transfer QBs in this market. Much easier to recruit as an OC of UofL than HC for Duke. Whether Scott calls plays or not, Cutt alone would add a level of organization and knowledge to that side of the ball.

3. Connections all over the nation. He coached at UT and Ole Miss with the Manning brothers as QB. He’s been in the Deep South SEC country for recruiting. He’s coached in the ACC for many years and even had his guys poached. He could help Scott in that way as Scott being from APP State lacks that Rolodex of high school and college coaches. It’s just something way better for recruiting.

I really think he’d be a calming influence on this staff. He’d be a bridge between Satt because of their Carolina connections and major power 5 level people. I think it would be a perfect match. It would give us a 2nd HC type that could take a lot of stress of Scott and he can focus on other areas.
Who in their right mind would want to hire someone just below them that’s had prior HC experience? He would have the threat of someone replacing him at every turn not to mention someone second guessing their every move. No coach wants that. Why have 2 HC’s when you can have 1 do the job? His initials are JB.

Reactions: luv2hit63
Who in their right mind would want to hire someone just below them that’s had prior HC experience? He would have the threat of someone replacing him at every turn not to mention someone second guessing their every move. No coach wants that. Why have 2 HC’s when you can have 1 do the job? His initials are JB.
Seems like it works elsewhere.

I think Cutt is 67 and not looking to take a big job. Scott knows the game and knows how to inspire a team, but I think he's had an issue understanding how to manage a program at this level and he's doing a lot of on the job learning.

And I'm fine with firing and paying $6 million in buyout money for a guy with basically the same resume from Purdue and feel good with him just because he's from this city. Give him $7 million a year and if he fails he can hold us hostage like Bobby did and we can shell out $15 million or more!

Deion Branch said he would coach at U of L in any capacity all they had to do was call him.

Reactions: gocds
He's old. I think he's done coaching. I could see him in an advisory position at a big time school or an NFL team.
The OP makes some good points but that is the bottom line. I think he is ready to hang it up.

Reactions: gocds
The OP makes some good points but that is the bottom line. I think he is ready to hang it up.
My only thought is that reports said it was an involuntary resignation at Duke. I think he has more to give.

I think he's a QB guru with a lot of connections all over.

It's not a bad idea man. The program can't be hurt by having a guy like this on the staff. He knows football. What he did at Duke was pretty impressive really if you take a close look at it. Milk went a little sour last few years but given the challenges there, he did a pretty good job.

Obviously his years at TN, he learned a ton.

It's not a bad idea man. The program can't be hurt by having a guy like this on the staff. He knows football. What he did at Duke was pretty impressive really if you take a close look at it. Milk went a little sour last few years but given the challenges there, he did a pretty good job.

Obviously his years at TN, he learned a ton.
I think an OC like him would be like what Ledford added. Ledford wasn’t calling plays, but he organized that side of the ball well. Great at teaching the OL and motivation. Just a really great mind. And he knew what physical ACC ball was all about, and his style matched with Satt.

Cutt (or someone similar) would add a lot of good football knowledge on that side. And he’d be a great QB guru. He was pretty good when he had talent and even coached up some guys too.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
My only thought is that reports said it was an involuntary resignation at Duke. I think he has more to give.

I think he's a QB guru with a lot of connections all over.
I don't know that he is a "QB guru" but he does have a lot of connections all over. In the right coaching situation, he could clearly help the Offense.

Peace

I don't know that he is a "QB guru" but he does have a lot of connections all over. In the right coaching situation, he could clearly help the Offense.

Peace
That's kinda what he's known for in his career. 8 QBs he's coached have made the NFL. Now it's harder to focus on QBs when you're the head man, but if you're an assistant focusing mainly on the passing game it's much easier. The Manning's swear by him and that's a family that knows about QB development.

But here is where I see him going, some SEC school is going to pay big money for him to be a QB coach to help get Arch Manning's commitment.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
That's kinda what he's known for in his career. 8 QBs he's coached have made the NFL. Now it's harder to focus on QBs when you're the head man, but if you're an assistant focusing mainly on the passing game it's much easier. The Manning's swear by him and that's a family that knows about QB development.

But here is where I see him going, some SEC school is going to pay big money for him to be a QB coach to help get Arch Manning's commitment.
Unfortunately, you are probably spot on. :rolleyes:

Peace

Unfortunately, you are probably spot on. :rolleyes:

Peace
I think a big thing I want in this staff is some football guys that have big time connections.

Charlie Strong kinda showed us that model. If you're in those big programs, you know what it takes. You know the guys that are good. You have connections. That's what is missing from this staff. Ledford's loss was the biggest loss last offeason.

Honestly, if we fired Satt? I'd want Ledford!

Just because Branch played doesn’t mean he can coach. Let him build a resume like everyone else.
He’s coaching at Carmel high school in Indy. He would make a excellent wide receivers coach at any level of football.

I think a big thing I want in this staff is some football guys that have big time connections.

Charlie Strong kinda showed us that model. If you're in those big programs, you know what it takes. You know the guys that are good. You have connections. That's what is missing from this staff. Ledford's loss was the biggest loss last offeason.

Honestly, if we fired Satt? I'd want Ledford!
I think the above is important. I get the feeling that most of our staff ps still on their "FBS training wheels".

Peace

Branch is a Super Bowl MVP he played for Bellichick for years so he sure AF knows high level football. If he wants to be a part of this staff get him in the fold ASAP. We need guys involved in the program that have been a part of it in the past.

Reactions: indaville
Branch is a Super Bowl MVP he played for Bellichick for years so he sure AF knows high level football. If he wants to be a part of this staff get him in the fold ASAP. We need guys involved in the program that have been a part of it in the past.
Plus - I bet he would be an upgrade in recruiting.

Reactions: indaville
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT