ADVERTISEMENT

Now it’s OK to see this glass half full

Four-Star Poster
Nov 28, 2002
I have been a UL football fan since the latter Frank Camp days, and everything in between Wally Oyler and Malik Cunningham. Look at this roster, and see that it’s depth chart may be short on 4 star kids, and absolutely zero 5 star kids, but aside from a very few kids, most everyone else will be returning next year.

While I have been as critical of CSS’s poor judgement in pursuing the USC Jr job, he is the very best HC that UL could have, given where we were when he was hired and where we are right now. This roster is a mix of a very few 4 star kids, quite a few 3 Star kids and perhaps as many 2 Star and walk-o s as any P5 conference school in America. Most of the 3 star kids on scholarship arrived here without the major P5 offer list that we might have hoped for. My point here is that is what a good HC and staff are supposed to do ……….”coach em up”.

The local media and a lot of our fans have discounted just how bad Bobby Petrino left this program in terms of players, staff and morale; as that last year he was here, resulted in a lot of deep damage; as some really good ones left and even more wished they had as well.

Regrettably UCF‘s talented QB’s career ended on the last play of the game last night, so the rest of the Knights season will not be reflective of just how good they were when they arrived here, but it should be noted they brought a lot more talent here than what we have, yet this staff, these kids and yes the 40k fans who showed up each brought their “A” game and left with the W.

Not sure how this season ends up, but I can tell you one encouraging observation now …….. next year has all of the potential to be significantly improved with so much young returning experience and perhaps the most depth that I can recall. I also believe the ESPN Friday night game will help this staff recruiting in Jefferson County and the rest of the country; something that has been missing for several years.

Interesting take. For sure you've been to the rodeo.

Really, after you get out of the top 10-15 programs the next 40-50 are probably pretty close overall and come down to matchups and sometimes, dare I say it.. luck. Yeah the top team or two are next level. Then there's about 10 teams a cut below that, then a real large pool of programs. that bounce back and forth.

Louisville has a lot of young players out there getting time. So I think fans are probably advised to expect ups and downs. It's just good to see there are some ups in there.

I do hope that my diagnosis is premature, but Dillon’s parents and those around the program last night indicated that it was “that bad of an injury” to his throwing shoulder.

I knew we had a young team so my disappointment regarding this team was the horrific play calling in the Ole Miss game. If the play calling would have been different it would have been an entirely different game. I am not saying we would have won but we would have projected ourselves as a whole different program. Let’s hope the play calling is more like last night the rest of the season.

Season-ending injury.
not a career-ending injury.
Bad idea to have your starting QB in on special teams

Since we are going way back do you remember the 5’5” Howard Stevens who was a dynamic running back who was fun to watch?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT