ADVERTISEMENT

Not missing Jerry Eaves

Sawyer

1500+
Aug 3, 2001
Cannot say I miss Jerry Eaves on the radio. I guess his time slot was moved to another hour or another station. Or better yet, maybe it was cancelled.

I dont agree with what his says or his takes, dont listen to his show, however he did put his blood, sweat and tears into the program.
Beard grew up during segregation times. Most young people will never know how hard those times were.

Jerry was a solid contributor to UL basketball as a player, and he will always be appreciated for his participation in the 1980 NC. Not sure why he took on the entitlement attitude after he graduated, as it has only resulted in his being so unpopular with so many UL fans. Bitterness is never a very good look for anyone.

I watched Butch Beard's HS career at Breckinridge Co HS from a distance, so I will not attempt to characterize his treatment growing up, however those who were following HS basketball in and around the Commonwealth at that time, recognized Butch much like a super star both on the court and off, as he always conducted himself with dignity. I was close to the Unseld family during our time at Seneca HS, and I knew John Dromo as a salesman at Neill-LaVielle, while also serving as an assistant under Peck Hickman before becoming HC for a brief period ....... John was responsible for recruiting both Wes and Butch, and beyond being exceptional basketball players, John would always describe both as outstanding leaders on the team and contributors to the community at large. Again, despite obtaining college educations at UL, and subsequent careers in the NBA ......... it has never been clear as to why Butch and Wes distanced themselves from UL and city of Louisville?

Those of us who lived here, and know the Unseld family, witnessed how they remained here, and were such a large and most positive influence in this community, which only adds to the question as to why Wes remained in Maryland for most of his life.

Reactions: glassmanJ
i never listened to eaves but it seems from his viewpoint at least he wanted what he thought was best for u of l, jsut not the same direction most others thought

If Eaves doesn't get what he wants then he will try to destroy the UL basketball program.

A consequence of the Jurich firing Coach Crum, the hiring of Pitino, pushing away certain donors , alumni and former players.
He's seeking revenge.

i never listened to eaves but it seems from his viewpoint at least he wanted what he thought was best for u of l, jsut not the same direction most others thought
I don’t buy it for a second. Eaves is 100% agenda driven. If it came right down to it, he’d rather have his agenda enacted than UofL be successful.

His continued sense of entitlement based upon something he was a (smaller) part of 40 years ago is astounding. Guy’s been a loser ever since he took off the jersey.

I don’t buy it for a second. Eaves is 100% agenda driven. If it came right down to it, he’d rather have his agenda enacted than UofL be successful.

His continued sense of entitlement based upon something he was a (smaller) part of 40 years ago is astounding. Guy’s been a loser ever since he took off the jersey.
This is about Eaves not being considered for a assistant coaching gig is my bet and the rumors I’ve heard over the years. He could have been mad and unhappy, but he took it much further by getting on the radio and doing everything he could to go after UofL. He lost all of the good he was a part of at UofL by his actions over the last several years. I have zero use for him. Because at the end of the day he was going after the fans.

Does his radio show (if he still has one) have advertisers ? If so all Cardinal fans should tell them we boycott them since they are sponsoring an enemy of the program. Give me some names and I will take it from there.

Jerry was a solid contributor to UL basketball as a player, and he will always be appreciated for his participation in the 1980 NC. Not sure why he took on the entitlement attitude after he graduated, as it has only resulted in his being so unpopular with so many UL fans. Bitterness is never a very good look for anyone.

I watched Butch Beard's HS career at Breckinridge Co HS from a distance, so I will not attempt to characterize his treatment growing up, however those who were following HS basketball in and around the Commonwealth at that time, recognized Butch much like a super star both on the court and off, as he always conducted himself with dignity. I was close to the Unseld family during our time at Seneca HS, and I knew John Dromo as a salesman at Neill-LaVielle, while also serving as an assistant under Peck Hickman before becoming HC for a brief period ....... John was responsible for recruiting both Wes and Butch, and beyond being exceptional basketball players, John would always describe both as outstanding leaders on the team and contributors to the community at large. Again, despite obtaining college educations at UL, and subsequent careers in the NBA ......... it has never been clear as to why Butch and Wes distanced themselves from UL and city of Louisville?

Those of us who lived here, and know the Unseld family, witnessed how they remained here, and were such a large and most positive influence in this community, which only adds to the question as to why Wes remained in Maryland for most of his life.
I would say it was b/c he was a VP, coach and GM with the Bullets after his playing days were over. That kept him tied to DC and Baltimore.

Very true Boone, but according to those much closer to his family, Wes intentionally kept his distance from the University. It is a tribute to his character that he never went public, with whatever issues kept him from allowing himself to be recognized in Freedom Hall or the YUM as many times that he was invited.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card

I am a Seneca Alumnus as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT