ADVERTISEMENT

Next up: Boston College

Cue Card

Four-Star Poster
Mar 7, 2011
This will be a game that truly tells us what this team is made of, and just how far they have come since getting blown out in the last game of 2017. Just how much has this team improved? I don't think we really know to be honest.

The Eagles are 13-6 which isn't real impressive, but they beat Duke and FSU; lost @ Virginia by 1, and lost to Clemson at home by 4. In other words, they have a team that CAN play at a high level. On the flip side, they lost @ Providence by 20, and @ UNC by 30.

Will the Cards be full of themselves after winning a gut check game in South Bend? Can they overcome their own press clippings and meet the challenge of playing AND beating Boston College?

We will see early Sunday afternoon.

Go CARDS!!!

This will be a game that truly tells us what this team is made of, and just how far they have come since getting blown out in the last game of 2017. Just how much has this team improved? I don't think we really know to be honest.

The Eagles are 13-6 which isn't real impressive, but they beat Duke and FSU; lost @ Virginia by 1, and lost to Clemson at home by 4. In other words, they have a team that CAN play at a high level. On the flip side, they lost @ Providence by 20, and @ UNC by 30.

Will the Cards be full of themselves after winning a gut check game in South Bend? Can they overcome their own press clippings and meet the challenge of playing AND beating Boston College?

We will see early Sunday afternoon.

Go CARDS!!!
I do think this will be a telling game to see if the game against ND was just another game or was it the beginning of something special. As a armchair coach, does CDP note that maybe the 5 guys he had at the end of regulation and through the OTs just might be our “best” five, meaning McMahon and Snider together and maybe King on the bench. Or does he continue with “it ain’t broke so there’s nothing to fix” and continue with Williams in the starting lineup instead of say Nwora, Sutton or even go back to Mahmoud and hope he’s learn not to make cheap early fouls.
Anyway, can’t wait to see this team back in action. Go Cards!

I don't think any games in the league can be taken for granted.

Every ACC game is a new test, and you're correct, none of these teams can be taken for granted.

It's still a long season ahead with more ups and downs in store. We can hope that there are many more ups than downs though, and so far there have been. I hope the Cards keep playing with the new found intensity and heart they've been displaying recently.

Reactions: Cue Card
I’m not a big Anas guy. Offense is lacking and rebounding is lacking. I’d rather have Malik who has been a slightly more aggressive rebounder and is a better shooter. Only thing Anas has on Malik is shot blocking. That happens about 4 times a game. Malik could probably get 2. All of this is assuming Malik gets approximately 1/2 the playing time. Looking at it he’d be about even on everything accept blocks. And he’s only a freshman. Give him some more minutes and he will pass up Mahmoud.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deeva
I’m not a big Anas guy. Offense is lacking and rebounding is lacking. I’d rather have Malik who has been a slightly more aggressive rebounder and is a better shooter. Only thing Anas has on Malik is shot blocking. That happens about 4 times a game. Malik could probably get 2.
Anas is averaging 0.25 rebound per minute played. Malik is averaging 0.26, so rebounding is a wash.

Malik is a better outside shooter, but the stats show the opposite. Mahmoud's FG% is 0.589 while Williams' is 0.361. No comparison even if you allow for Malik's 3-point makes (adj. to 0.434).

Mahmoud affects everything down low whether he makes the actual block or not. While the recorded stats may not show it, he was dominant at the end of the ND game.

I think DP keeps Anas on the bench to avoid both Ray and Anas getting in foul trouble in the first half. Can still happen, but it's more difficult when only one guy is in the game at a time.

Last edited:
Anas is averaging 0.25 rebound per minute played. Malik is averaging 0.26, so rebounding is a wash.

Malik is a better outside shooter, but the stats show the opposite. Mahmoud's FG% is 0.589 while Williams' is 0.361. No comparison even if you allow for Malik's 3-point makes (adj. to 0.434).

Mahmoud affects everything down low whether he makes the actual block or not. While the recorded stats may not show it, he was dominant at the end of the ND game.

I think DP keeps Anas on the bench to avoid both Ray and Anas getting in foul trouble in the first half. Can still happen, but it's more difficult when only one guy is in the game at a time.

Just ask TV Teddy, he'll do that request

Anas still lacks confidence in his offensive moves. If he were as confident in his shot making as his shot blocking, he’ll make a very productive center. Why he dribbles from one side to the other to shit a hook shot but doesn’t get closer to the goal is beyond me. Williams is one dimensional right now (top of the 3 pt line) but he needs to start mixing it up down low if he wants to be in the game at crunch time. He’s also a better FT shooter than Mahmoud. Psst... so is everyone else on the team!

Reactions: zipp and Cue Card
I like the fact Malik and Anas understand their respective roles and have accepted it. They are very different players who bring very different things to the floor. Anas is showing he is 100% all about the team since he is not whining about coming off the bench and Malik seems to be more comfortable starting. It was a really good coaching decision by coach Padgett. It might seem subtle, but it is working.

Reactions: zipp
I like the fact Malik and Anas understand their respective roles and have accepted it. They are very different players who bring very different things to the floor. Anas is showing he is 100% all about the team since he is not whining about coming off the bench and Malik seems to be more comfortable starting. It was a really good coaching decision by coach Padgett. It might seem subtle, but it is working.
Anas is doing well coming off the bench and is in there come crunch time. Red Auerbach had the philosophy to bring his 3rd best player off the bench in order to provide a spark and make the opponent adjust to another skill set. He first did this with Frank Ramsey and later John Havlicek. Much of his career, HOFer Havlicek came off the bench. Denny did the same years ago during the Wheat era. BJ Flynn sat to start and was always in there at crunch time.

The concept is not new, but getting today's players to adjust to coming off the bench may be a headache given the egos involved. Anas is taking one for the team, which as it should be, and producing.

Anas still lacks confidence in his offensive moves. If he were as confident in his shot making as his shot blocking, he’ll make a very productive center. Why he dribbles from one side to the other to shit a hook shot but doesn’t get closer to the goal is beyond me. Williams is one dimensional right now (top of the 3 pt line) but he needs to start mixing it up down low if he wants to be in the game at crunch time. He’s also a better FT shooter than Mahmoud. Psst... so is everyone else on the team!
Anas is not physically strong enough to park his butt on the block where he belongs and own that piece of real estate. Just watch where he receives the ball initally on the catch. He’s usually a good 4-6 feet from where he began trying to establish position. Once that happens all the drills and reps he’s done in individuals are out the window. Bottom line - while defensively he’s a shot blocking machine, offensively he’s a liability.

The offensive execution and defensive intensity is much better than it has been since the 2013 championship season.

Anas is not physically strong enough to park his butt on the block where he belongs and own that piece of real estate. Just watch where he receives the ball initally on the catch. He’s usually a good 4-6 feet from where he began trying to establish position. Once that happens all the drills and reps he’s done in individuals are out the window. Bottom line - while defensively he’s a shot blocking machine, offensively he’s a liability.
No I agree that’s not his game but he does have moves. Start out 10-12 feet from the basket, back it down and then use the hook. He starts off 12-15 from the basket and goes diagonally across the lane and doesn’t get physically closer to the rim.

No I agree that’s not his game but he does have moves. Start out 10-12 feet from the basket, back it down and then use the hook. He starts off 12-15 from the basket and goes diagonally across the lane and doesn’t get physically closer to the rim.
Personally believe Anas is better facing the basket, especially when he has room to move. I agree he is too light and gets pushed out easily when he tries to establish position with his back to the basket. I like his game much better when he gets the ball around the free throw line then faces the rim. He plays better IMO.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Personally believe Anas is better facing the basket, especially when he has room to move. I agree he is too light and gets pushed out easily when he tries to establish position with his back to the basket. I like his game much better when he gets the ball around the free throw line then faces the rim. He plays better IMO.
Even if he faces up, he doesn’t have a jump shot or face up move. He still has to turn and shoot some variation of hook shot. I’m just saying get closer to the rim. Now Spaulding and Williams are different.

Reactions: Cue Card
Even if he faces up, he doesn’t have a jump shot or face up move. He still has to turn and shoot some variation of hook shot. I’m just saying get closer to the rim. Now Spaulding and Williams are different.
Yeah I agree with that. I was trying to say he is better attacking the basket when facing it. You're right about his lack of a jump shot. Right now he's just a shot blocker and garbage man with the occasional alley oop dunk. That's OK. He knows his role and he plays it fairly well most of the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT