ADVERTISEMENT

New Coach Thread

He was at Baylor not LSU. He brought Baylor out from their scandal. They were really good. He is a defensive guy. A really good defensive coach that can recruit keeps you in every game.

I think you are thinking of the Joe Brady the OC at LSU.

Reactions: Rockford
he's shown nothing that he has the ability to coach and successfully lead a team. he was only good at LSU because he had joe burrow and nfl quality wide receivers. since he's gone to carolina they've sucked. he blamed teddy for his faults and they got rid of him. they went to sam darnold and they still suck. they went to mayfield and they still suck. he's not developed one single player in their system yet. he only got the job because of burrow and it's as simple as that. he's been an absolute failure of as a head coach and he shows me no reason to believe he can coach at all. strike him off the list.
You’ve got the wrong man

Reactions: glassmanJ
My inclusion of “Saban and Swinney as candidates” was just my effort at being facetious, as I still believe that some UL fans are not being realistic about the situation that UL is in, or the manner in which the college coaching fraternity views the UL job.

No I am not JLS, but he is a very good friend who could provide some insight as to how the UL football program is perceived, and why finding a viable candidate right now might prove frustrating.

I'm hearing rumblings from inside my social inner circle. Anybody confirm a meeting this morning?

Luke Fickell would be a great fit. Hearing he would listen. Gotta believe move with UC to the Big 12 will be difficult with a fanbase that’s become accustomed to 9 or 10 wins in the AAC.
Agree that Fickell would be a great hire, but no way he leaves UC except for Columbus. The guy is good enough for them to get 9-10 wins in the Big 12 every year. Look at what's left after OU and Texas leave. Plus the fact he will be recruiting to a P5 conference.

It is hell living up here in Northern KY and seeing all of the frontrunners in UC gear.
Huggins and Mick never generated that kind of interest. It has been UC football.

I think realistically we would have to look at some top notch coordinator waiting to take the next step like they did with Strong. They would be easier to entice and a whole lot cheaper. But then if they had success they would probably leave for perceived greener pastures. But hopefully leave the place in better shape then they found it.
The top notch coordinator is not realistic at this point? You talking about OC or DC, they both suck. You need a HC that understand at least one of them and no Scottie is not an offensive genius by any stretch.

Reactions: SpotHogCard
he's shown nothing that he has the ability to coach and successfully lead a team. he was only good at LSU because he had joe burrow and nfl quality wide receivers. since he's gone to carolina they've sucked. he blamed teddy for his faults and they got rid of him. they went to sam darnold and they still suck. they went to mayfield and they still suck. he's not developed one single player in their system yet. he only got the job because of burrow and it's as simple as that. he's been an absolute failure of as a head coach and he shows me no reason to believe he can coach at all. strike him off the list.

What glassmanj is saying is that Joe BURROW won those games.

Does Paul Chryst get added to the list? Seems as though Harsin at auburn is on the thinnest of ice as well.

Does Paul Chryst get added to the list? Seems as though Harsin at auburn is on the thinnest of ice as well.
How does a guy who won 9 games a years ago, has a 72% winning percentage and who had his team in the Rose Bowl just a few years ago lose his job mid-season because he 2-3 this year?
So, yeah, Chryst should be on the list!

Matt Rhule is now available. Thoughts on him....?

He is getting $40M to not coach. I’d imagine he will hold tight until a top tier job comes available. Gotta figure Nebraska and Auburn make a run at him. Texas A&M would love him as well if they could get around Jimbo’s insane contract.

You’ve got the wrong man
yup, sorry i goofed, confused with lsu OC. my bad and sorry to MR for the confusion. still, though, he never did anything at carolina, teddy was his best qb with a rating of 59. they've done nothing in his 4 years, but i guess he's simply a better college coach. and they released teddy thinking it was his fault carolina was bad when it was the coaches

It’s easy for me to be dazzled by the latest new shiny object…I admit it. I’m starting to drool a bit over James Madison’s Curt Cignetti. He has a 38-5 record at JM and has them ranked in their first year after stepping up in class. My hesitancy about him is the fear of putting our fishing line back in Sunbelt waters. That said, this guy has had a 40 year coaching career with more than 105-31 record (per Wikipedia). Just food for thought.

It’s easy for me to be dazzled by the latest new shiny object…I admit it. I’m starting to drool a bit over James Madison’s Curt Cignetti. He has a 38-5 record at JM and has them ranked in their first year after stepping up in class. My hesitancy about him is the fear of putting our fishing line back in Sunbelt waters. That said, this guy has had a 40 year coaching career with more than 105-31 record (per Wikipedia). Just food for thought.
LOL and the end result would be worse than Satt . At least the App St. program has a pretty darn good track record vs the bigger schools and their coaches have been okay when they move up. However what has been the biggest complaint Satt has to deal with recruiting P5 level talent. I'm pretty darn sure JM coach would struggle even more in that dept much better prospects for this program when that time comes.

LOL and the end result would be worse than Satt . At least the App St. program has a pretty darn good track record vs the bigger schools and their coaches have been okay when they move up. However what has been the biggest complaint Satt has to deal with recruiting P5 level talent. I'm pretty darn sure JM coach would struggle even more in that dept much better prospects for this program when that time comes.
You say you’re pretty darn sure JM coach would struggle more than Satt but it seems like more of just a guess on your part. Again, Cignetti has a 105-31 overall record. As stated, I’m fearful about getting another Sunbelt coach but don’t quite see the reasoning behind why you think Satt is better.

Lol - yourself. App St coaches are 34-38 collectively when moving up. Meanwhile App St hasn’t skipped a beat. It’s the program that’s special - not Satterfield or Drinkwitz.

Stick to slurping KP and rationalizing his recruiting misses on the basketball board rather than displaying your ignorance regarding football.

I've said it several times I don't necessarily believe he's a bad head coach, but he's a bad play caller on offense. He's predictable and he tends to let up when he has a lead. We lost two key games last season after having big leads and almost blew a 3rd one.

This season he hasn't had many big leads to blow, but his offense is just too easy for the opponents to prepare for.

He should hire a good OC that would most likely keep him around a lot longer.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
I've said it several times I don't necessarily believe he's a bad head coach, but he's a bad play caller on offense. He's predictable and he tends to let up when he has a lead. We lost two key games last season after having big leads and almost blew a 3rd one.

This season he hasn't had many big leads to blow, but his offense is just too easy for the opponents to prepare for.

He should hire a good OC that would most likely keep him around a lot longer.
Mark Richt all but comes out and says CSS is predictable, "CSS bases everything on the stretch play."

Mark Richt all but comes out and says CSS is predictable, "CSS bases everything on the stretch play."
Which worked well at App St because he / they had better athletes than the rest of the Sunbelt. If he’s going to continue to make it the staple of the offense, he needs to recruit better OL and, coach them up better than has happened so far. Losing Ledford was a huge blow to the program.

Reactions: SpotHogCard
Very difficult to terminate any Head Coach in the absence of a strong candidate to step in.

If I were Josh Heird, I would have reached out to Tom Jurich early on for some guidance. Not just for potential candidates, but for some wisdom on navigating through this process. I am not sure the BOT would support any change right now unless some large donor(s) was willing to step up with a financial commitment.

Very difficult to terminate any Head Coach in the absence of a strong candidate to step in.

If I were Josh Heird, I would have reached out to Tom Jurich early on for some guidance. Not just for potential candidates, but for some wisdom on navigating through this process. I am not sure the BOT would support any change right now unless some large donor(s) was willing to step up with a financial commitment.
Where to start…. Approximately 10% of colleges terminate HCs every year (at least 5 P5 coaches so far this year) and the vast majority have no stated “strong candidate” that steps in. Firing people - in case you haven’t done it - is about their lack of performance, not the next person.

TJ isn’t taking phone calls and dispensing helpful advice to UofL administrators - not after the way he was treated. And, should the season still end on an ugly note with non-competitive losses to Clemson and the yuts, the BOT will look at the reality of fan displeasure and should be forced to act.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Unless there is a 2018-type collapse (I don’t think that will happen) there won’t be a move. We just can’t afford to replace Satt AND pay a new staff, and we can’t afford anybody better.
Well, UofL will not be favored in 4 of their last 5 games - should form hold and they end the season 5-7 with three consecutive losses - what then? Still nothing?

Reactions: nccardfan

There you go again. WTH would Heird reach out to Jurich. I'm the AD. Need separation and demonstrate you can stand on your own two feet. Move forward not back.

Well, UofL will not be favored in 4 of their last 5 games - should form hold and they end the season 5-7 with three consecutive losses - what then? Still nothing?
Since it is destined that CSS will make it to end of the season now, I will look at the entire body of work. I will settle for nothing less than 7-5. 6-6 doesn't cut it.

Reactions: BPGhost
Shouldn’t you be busy celebrating with your husband Mrs. Satterfield?
We just annihilated the #10 team in the country and you are INCAPABLE of giving Coach Satterfield any credit whatsoever.
That’s why you are seen by many of us as being completely unobjective so we give you no credibility. None whatsoever.
A true fan would celebrate this historical performance and great win.

Reactions: 2330859
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT