ADVERTISEMENT

New Coach Thread

KenSucky

One-Star Poster
Apr 2, 2010
How would you rank the order of possibilities for our next coach. Here are mine in no particular order....

Jeff Brohm, Deion Sanders, Matt Rhule, Luke Fickell, Tyson Helton, Curt Cignetti.....?

GO CARDS!!!​

You really think Sanders, Fickell, and Brohm would be interested. ?

I don’t even know and am about two ticks from don’t even care. I haven’t enjoyed a football season since 2017. Five freaking years of trash football. When will it ever change?

Reactions: rh62531
It is so hard to build a good football program at a place like Louisville. A bad hire follow up with another one makes the next one incredibly important. A good hire you are fending people off in 4 years.

This has to check all the boxes and I am not sure there is one.

You just have to wonder if the Vince Tyre, Benaputti fiasco hadn’t happened and we had the gonads to fire CSS and hire CJB last December, where would we be now. We knew what we were dealing with then and it has been proven again now.

For a coaching staff that preaches speed at every position, we were beat today off the ball on every snap and BC seemed to jump routes on our receivers as if they actually watched tape of us…

weird

You really think Sanders, Fickell, and Brohm would be interested. ?
Not sure, just a list. Some of the candidates are a true wish list. I'd say 4 of the names I threw out are coaches we could land and would thrive!

Sanders and Fickell - no and, I’m not the slightest bit interested in Sanders.

Brohm? Time will tell…
So then that begs the question which names on this list get you excited and which ones don't? Also who else that is not on this list would get you excited?

Brohm, Charles Huff, Josh Gattis

I wonder if a guy like PJ Fleck would be interested. He’s been at Minnesota probably longer than he would have liked and his trajectory has planed out.

Whomever is it they need to be a connector and someone with some energy. We are losing long-time fans. The level of apathy is really sad. Someone with some arrogance and a chip on their shoulder would be good.

Brohm has had one good season in 5 years at Purdue not sure y everyone thinks he can turn things around at Louisville
Which do you think is a harder job - UofL or purdoo? Which do you think could be turned around quicker? Most importantly - why are you still clinging to the misguided belief that Sunbelt Scotty is worth keeping??

Brohm, Charles Huff, Josh Gattis

I wonder if a guy like PJ Fleck would be interested. He’s been at Minnesota probably longer than he would have liked and his trajectory has planed out.

Whomever is it they need to be a connector and someone with some energy. We are losing long-time fans. The level of apathy is really sad. Someone with some arrogance and a chip on their shoulder would be good.
I almost through Huff in my list, so I would be good with him. I am not sure if Gattis is proven yet. If Cignetti comes to Cardinal Stadium and puts on a show does that become his audition/interview?

Who cares we are going to be bad for the next few years any way. Beginning to think we will never get back to our mediocre years.

Reactions: Deeva
I almost through Huff in my list, so I would be good with him. I am not sure if Gattis is proven yet. If Cignetti comes to Cardinal Stadium and puts on a show does that become his audition/interview?

I like Cignetti. He has had a lot of success at lower levels kind of like the coach at Kansas. I’m just not sure he’d bring the brashness that we need.

I don’t know if Deion can coach or not but damn he’d make it interesting. I’m good with interesting, especially considering it would be following this boring clown.
Deion I would think would bring in the recruits, starting with keeping the current commitments.

But it would definitely be a gamble. I don't even know what his philosophies are offensively and defensively.

I don’t know if Deion can coach or not but damn he’d make it interesting. I’m good with interesting, especially considering it would be following this boring clown.
What’s the connection that would bring him here? He doesn’t seem like he is a coach that’s in it for the long haul, or has aspirations to move on to a P5 conference IMO! He started off just wanting to coach his sons a few years ago. He’s definitely not in it for the money or recognition!

What’s the connection that would bring him here? He doesn’t seem like he is a coach that’s in it for the long haul, or has aspirations to move on to a P5 conference IMO! He started off just wanting to coach his sons a few years ago. He’s definitely not in it for the money or recognition!

No idea…he played minor league baseball here. I would think any college coach would have P5 aspirations. Perhaps UofL being an urban institution may appeal to him. Tough to say.

I think coaching has changed you have to find someone that is tough minded but is able to relate to kids. Being a complete ass doesn’t work anymore.

They have to be able to recruit and understand how to recruit in today’s environment.

They have to develop kids. They have to evaluate kids at this level. Satterfield and his staff failed here miserably. To be honest that was not a worry when they hired him. I thought that would be a strength. I was wrong.

Offensive coach has to have a good rep in developing QB’s or have a background in building an elite Oline. Their QB’s have to a history of playing high level.

Defensive coach has a proven system throughout their career. Don’t care what they run but it is a sound system.

Bill OBrien, Matt Rhule, and Fickell check all my boxes.

Luke Fickell would be a great fit. Hearing he would listen. Gotta believe move with UC to the Big 12 will be difficult with a fanbase that’s become accustomed to 9 or 10 wins in the AAC.

I would like to hire Lou Saban, or Dabo Swinney; but that ain’t happening. Regrettably, UL football is not in position to attract a “sure-fire, can’t miss” Head Coach; there is no way to insure that we can hire our way out of the hole we find ourselves.

There was time when a successful coach at UC, like Luke Fickell would be a likely candidate, but even without OSU getting in the way ……. UL is not now, nor has it ever been remotely close to the sort of destination job that appeals to a proven winner at P5 level.

I am sure Tx A&M thought they hit a home run hire with Jimbo Fisher, obviously even those leaving a traditional football school for a destination place are no guarante.

For “one trick ponies” like Ghost, who worship Brohm; Jeff may very well have been a good fit at the time he rejected UL’s offer, but then no one will ever know one way or another. Whenever a favorite son like Brohm rejects your alma mater, it might be a good time for all UL fans to think realistically about where we are in the football food chain. I am one who believes that Jeff viewed this opportunity much like Satterfield did when he pursued the SC job, despite having no real chance of getting it.

I would like to hire Lou Saban, or Dabo Swinney; but that ain’t happening. Regrettably, UL football is not in position to attract a “sure-fire, can’t miss” Head Coach; there is no way to insure that we can hire our way out of the hole we find ourselves.

There was time when a successful coach at UC, like Luke Fickell would be a likely candidate, but even without OSU getting in the way ……. UL is not now, nor has it ever been remotely close to the sort of destination job that appeals to a proven winner at P5 level.

I am sure Tx A&M thought they hit a home run hire with Jimbo Fisher, obviously even those leaving a traditional football school for a destination place are no guarante.

For “one trick ponies” like Ghost, who worship Brohm; Jeff may very well have been a good fit at the time he rejected UL’s offer, but then no one will ever know one way or another. Whenever a favorite son like Brohm rejects your alma mater, it might be a good time for all UL fans to think realistically about where we are in the football food chain. I am one who believes that Jeff viewed this opportunity much like Satterfield did when he pursued the SC job, despite having no real chance of getting it.
You're either on good drugs or living in a fantasy world to even consider names like Saban or Dabo. Even Jimbo Fisher. Maybe after he gets canned from A&M.. By the way, we don't "worship" Brohm, we are realistic in our thinking who would bring Louisville football and the fans back together the quickest. Hes by far the most logical decision at this point. The funny thing is the deeper Sunbelt Scotty goes, the more logical Brohm becomes.

I think realistically we would have to look at some top notch coordinator waiting to take the next step like they did with Strong. They would be easier to entice and a whole lot cheaper. But then if they had success they would probably leave for perceived greener pastures. But hopefully leave the place in better shape then they found it.

He never said Swinney, Saban or Fisher would consider coming to Louisville. He said he would like to hire them but that ain’t happening like some of the other suggestions people are making. I don’t know who would be the right hire but something has to happen.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood

Are you John L. Smith, by any chance?

• Haha
Reactions: Rockford
I think coaching has changed you have to find someone that is tough minded but is able to relate to kids. Being a complete ass doesn’t work anymore.

They have to be able to recruit and understand how to recruit in today’s environment.

They have to develop kids. They have to evaluate kids at this level. Satterfield and his staff failed here miserably. To be honest that was not a worry when they hired him. I thought that would be a strength. I was wrong.

Offensive coach has to have a good rep in developing QB’s or have a background in building an elite Oline. Their QB’s have to a history of playing high level.

Defensive coach has a proven system throughout their career. Don’t care what they run but it is a sound system.

Bill OBrien, Matt Rhule, and Fickell check all my boxes.
None of those guys would come to Louisville

Reactions: hs_sportsfan
Just gotta say that after yesterday’s debacle I tuned in on Kansas v Iowa St. so sad to see lowly Kansas looking like a well-oiled machine compared to our stomach turning performance. I let myself believe that ANYONE, anyone at all, would be better than what we had now.

None of those guys would come to Louisville
You and I don’t know if they will or won’t come but if you are going do this path the AD better be thinking this way.

Look if NIL is a real thing at Louisville the right guy will thrive here. They have to make people say no.

Sanders may end up at GaTech. Fickell fine where he is at since they showed they can make the playoff even without the Big XII. Brohm may be open to coming in now, it was just too early the first time.

Just gotta say that after yesterday’s debacle I tuned in on Kansas v Iowa St. so sad to see lowly Kansas looking like a well-oiled machine compared to our stomach turning performance. I let myself believe that ANYONE, anyone at all, would be better than what we had now.
I'd suck as a coordinator, but I'd be a hell of a manager! 😀

Love Matt rhule
he's shown nothing that he has the ability to coach and successfully lead a team. he was only good at LSU because he had joe burrow and nfl quality wide receivers. since he's gone to carolina they've sucked. he blamed teddy for his faults and they got rid of him. they went to sam darnold and they still suck. they went to mayfield and they still suck. he's not developed one single player in their system yet. he only got the job because of burrow and it's as simple as that. he's been an absolute failure of as a head coach and he shows me no reason to believe he can coach at all. strike him off the list.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT