ADVERTISEMENT

ND postmortem

CardHack

Four-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Unfortunately I haven't been privy to rewatching the game, but I came away with some overall impressions that were positive as it applies to the rest of the season:

Wide receiver and receiver corps can officially be stamped as preseason question mark to an in season weapon. Lacy makes a huge difference and hopefully he can take on more load; the benefactor of his presence might be Chris Bell more than Brooks because Bell really is a third receiver and limited in his routes; on the crossing routes and go routes very good, on routes that require him to be quick out of breaks, not really his skill set. I come away from every game thinking the tight ends are underused for their skill; Jamari Johnson just looks like he is out of central casting as a pro tight end. All of that with Shough's abilities leaves me really excited for the rest of the year; he made some great throws against the best secondary we'll see this year.

Running back is a mixed bag but Isaac Brown just keeps showing us something different; KBrown is a good combination of physical and burst. Chaney leaves me a little vexed because he doesn't have their gears.

All of that said, the right side of our Offensive line (and Nygra at center) is a noticeable dropoff from last year. We got a little more on the ground than I thought we'd have, but Shough is taking too many hits.

...and defensively the bad is the secondary and that rates as a shock for me. It looks like Hutchinson and Neal are pared as safeties when they are in the game and we got caught with a really good route concept on the TD in the 1st quarter and that was the personnel on for the breakdown against Ga Tech. It looked like it was Hutchinson in the hole as a deep safety in three deep coverage and they flooded the backside with go routes and deep posts freeing up the seam route; quality scouting by Notre Dame but a breakdown nonetheless because Hutchinson needed more depth. Hutchinson made a great game saving tackle on Notre Dame's last touchdown only to have them score on the screen pass. Griffin and McDonald look like the better tackling group. Corner has become a borderline mess. As it applies to SMU and into the Miami game that is a very serious concern.

...but man did the linebackers look great Saturday. The Stanquan Clark I have been lauding as a potential all-ACC caliber LB showed up Saturday and so did Antonio Watts. And so by the way did Brock Travelsted; that was a huge FG and a huge lift at a critical point in the game.

Pete Nygra's PFF grade was a 14.3! Oline has to be better.
I think everybody has to be better top to bottom to overcome what's getting incessantly strange with the blatant bias against us newbies. Hey, we ain't the newbie this week so we should get every call,right?😉😅

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman
Good points CH! My takeaway on the offensive side of the football, confirms that CJB is not utilizing our 3 TEs as I expected, and as Jeff himself predicted in preseason.

ND is not now, nor were they ever a legitimate candidate to win the NC his season, or for that matter deserving to be in the conversation. However, their defense, and specifically their secondary may be as good as any team in the country. Leonard is as advertised when running their offense, but his limitations in the passing game keeps the Irish as a top 10-15 team.

The reason the right side of our OL’s performance was so poor, had a lot to do with a combination of the Irish defensive scheme and their talented personnel.

Good points CH! My takeaway on the offensive side of the football, confirms that CJB is not utilizing our 3 TEs as I expected, and as Jeff himself predicted in preseason.

ND is not now, nor were they ever a legitimate candidate to win the NC his season, or for that matter deserving to be in the conversation. However, their defense, and specifically their secondary may be as good as any team in the country. Leonard is as advertised when running their offense, but his limitations in the passing game keeps the Irish as a top 10-15 team.

The reason the right side of our OL’s performance was so poor, had a lot to do with a combination of the Irish defensive scheme and their talented personnel.
I think Turner being out is a big loss for us. He is quick through the line AND has shown an ability to be able to leap over the line in short yardage situations.

Reactions: 2330859 and Mayoman

IF the issues on the right side persist--and I think we're talking about RT more than anything--you'd almost expect more two TE sets to leverage the edge better but that depends on personnel. Chaney is definitely a better runner out of a Pistol look where he hits between the tackles with his shoulders parallel to the LOS, whereas the Browns and Turner are more effective at running out of the halfback with Shough in the shotgun.

...the downside of course to having Chaney in the Pistol is you already have basically lifted a WR for Duane Martin and I can't be the only person who thinks that our offense at it's peak has Brooks, Lacy and Bell on the field at the same time and I keep coming back to this but Jamari Johnson is creeping up into a category we haven't seen at Louisville at TE. We've had some great tight ends going back to Jamie Asher and Ibn Green, but outside of Gary Barnidge's emergence late in his career at Louisville never had that big TE who went into the NFL and stuck. I thought Cole Hikutini was going to play in the NFL for a couple contracts. Through the air as we saw Saturday, a personnel group of Isaac Brown at RB, Johnson at TE and Brooks, Lacy and Bell at WR is a lethal group to cover if Shough is given time. I was sort of shocked to hear Brohm's confession after the ND game that they were setting up the TE on one of their 4th downs.

Reactions: 2330859
To me the defense is the biggest disappointment so far. Mainly the back end. They are struggling with basic assignments. A stacked receiver set shouldn’t be an issue. The screen shouldn’t be that wide open. The pass down the seam should be that open. While they are fixable it has happened all year in terms of blowing assignments. Against ND all they had to do was force them into long drives. Instead they blow coverages which led to TD’s.

They have faced good lines the last 2 weeks so lack of pressure isn’t surprising. Still though they have to start getting creative and generate pressures. Too many clean pockets.

This thread is as informative as it is entertaining; credit CH for starting it out with solid observation!

This is a good roster and capable of more success, but we need to eliminate the mistakes.

Fixing the small things and better decision making (hey, you, Brohm) need to be on the agenda ASAP. The grind is about to get grindier. Yes, I know that's not a word. Anyway, the combined record of all future opponents: 28-8, starting with 4-1 SMU. The Cards are currently -7. It'll be interesting to see how the team responds. Losing to ND wasn't exactly a heart breaker, but it was a game they probably should have won if not for questionable decision making and mistakes.

Just have to be mentally ready to play and we almost run the table. Might lose at Clemson regardless imo. The rest are all winnable but can’t have letdown’s like Virginia at home last year in which we totally overlooked them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT