ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament Discussion Thread

TRV...I agree worse game deciding no call in the tournament I saw in all 4 days of the tournament. TCU coach should file a formal inquiry into the ending of that time in regulation.

NCAA/refs wanted #1 seed AZ to win that game for sure. And I am a semi AZ fan...but that no call was 'TURRIBLE' simply turrible.:mad:

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
The ref just didn't want to be responsible for causing the #1 seed to lose on a whistle by him. Let the kids decide the outcome is what he was sure he would have heard.

The officiating in the tournament has been horrid and it's mostly been non calls. Guys are getting hit in the head on drives to the goal and no whistles. Something needs to be done about basketball officiating in both the men and women's games. Is it really that hard?

Reactions: earsky and Mayoman
The physical style of BIG 10 teams actually works to their own disadvantage, as so many of the fouls whistled in this tournament that are called correctly, are the same that are ignored in their conference and at home non-conference games.

TCU got hosed by an obvious foul not being called with 2 seconds to go that would have given them free throws for the win against Arizona. The worst I've seen in a long time.
The guys in the production crew knew it was a missed call. I don't recall seeing it replayed as they concentrated on the dunk coming b4 the horn. I bet the ref's whistle tasted funny the next time he tried to blow it.

Which brings me to one of my biggest complaints involving NCAA and HS BB. They put a 3rd official on the floor to help clean up the rough stuff and get a more accurate call. Instead, it has gotten worse. An official will see something and rather than whistle the play dead, they look to a partner for confirmation. By that time the ball is going in the other direction.

Reactions: Mayoman
FOeHLUWWUAwCKum

BlG underperformed and over rated again.
Yeah I wonder how we would have finished in that overrated conference. There were some teams that had a schedule of Purdue, Illinois, Mich St, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State. You could very easy go on a 6 game losing streak.

ACC actual record through two rounds: 8-2

ACC predicted record by seed through two rounds: 3-4-1

(The tie is the play in game.)

Kenny can pay him more as a assistant
Pitino touting him for the Seton Hall job.
His team has but one chance to advance in any game,and that is to remain disciplined at both ends of the court,especially with shot selection,which they do.
Our guys could learn something by watching these mighty mites run their stuff and only settle for the better shot.

Yeah I wonder how we would have finished in that overrated conference. There were some teams that had a schedule of Purdue, Illinois, Mich St, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State. You could very easy go on a 6 game losing streak.
Likely the same as we performed in the ACC. Poorly.

But this was about the BIG in the NCAA-T not the Cards.

BL; underperformed and overrated as I stated. Record is what it is. Lets see how this weeks games go for a reprieve or a nail in the coffin for the BIG.

Agreed; it is possible for Purdue or Michigan to advance, but it is still undeniable that BIG10 as a conference was over-rated, right along with the SEC. If my recollection is correct, the BIG10 had 9 teams (including Rutgers and IU) in, and most enjoyed advantageous seeding ……. yet only two survive to sweet 16; those statistics speak loud.

I believe Denny was the first to announce that “parity has arrived in college basketball“ ……it continues, as we see more non-P5 conference teams having success in these tournaments.

Gonzaga had two above average players (Timme, Holmgren) the officials took Holmgren out of the game with some cheap fouls.
I agree. Guys were basically lowering their shoulders,burrowing into his body and getting calls. The kid probably could have drawn charges if he'd stood his ground,but yeah a couple of those were really cheap.
Timmie was too timid in the first half. Should've made them pay for backing off him at the foul line. Zags quit pushing the ball up the floor too. I think they wore themselves out. Lol

TT deserves a lot of credit for that huge win. However, I am a little surprised that no one else (officials, TV analyst or even Few) seems to take exception to the call and the subsequent review of the Zags guard who was fouled going up for the layup, with less than 2 minutes to go in the game.

I may not be up to speed on the rule interpretation of difference between “flagrant“ and intentional, but despite the official review, they disallowed the basket and called the foul as occurring before the shooting motion. While that was correct, they failed to see in the review that it was clearly intentional, as the defender grabbed the Zag’s guard from behind.

I expected that in addition to being awarded the two free throws, the Zags should have retained another offensive possession. One other bizarre call was the off balance 3 that was reviewed to confirm his foot was behind the line, but it was evident the shooter was bumped by the defender while in the air …… no call.

I do not care who wins or loses, but I hate to see missed calls particularly after significant review.

I agree 233. Missed calls that factored into the winner and loser of that game. Although I don't know why the officials would want the Zags to lose this game...those instances certainly hurt them.

I have become a huge Houston fan now and I really was in awe how Duke played the last 8 minutes of their game with TT....even though in general I have never been a Duke fan....ever. Glad AZ went down and hope KU does tonight.

Tonight games should be interesting.

I was impressed with Houston in their win over Arizona last night. It was the first time this season that I really got to watch them play. They play tough defense too. Sampson has them clicking.

I agree 233. Missed calls that factored into the winner and loser of that game. Although I don't know why the officials would want the Zags to lose this game...those instances certainly hurt them.

I have become a huge Houston fan now and I really was in awe how Duke played the last 8 minutes of their game with TT....even though in general I have never been a Duke fan....ever. Glad AZ went down and hope KU does tonight.

Tonight games should be interesting.
You answered your own question. They want a storybook ending to Coach K’s career. The zags were a legitimate threat.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
You answered your own question. They want a storybook ending to Coach K’s career. The zags were a legitimate threat.
Yea probably. If Duke keeps playing like they did in those last 8 minutes they will be very, very hard to beat.

I still like Houston...they are tough.. Hope St. Peters takes out Purdoo tonight. Who do you like? to win it all.

Peacocks battling again. Fun watching teams run their stuff offensively. The only chance they have is to play together.

ACC has sure made an impressive account of itself. Duke, Miami and UNC remain alive. Despite getting 9 in the tournament, the BIG 10 has zero left in, and the SEC has only 1 (Arkansas)
Just goes to show just how wrong the pundits and so called experts can be in CBB. Who knew? Job security for the lame and incompetent. Where goes Dicky V goes the whole lot of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT