ADVERTISEMENT

Myself...not “100% Sold” on Brohm...

Feb 19, 2003
Pretty much stayed away from Message Boards but just my 2 Cents...

1. Finally the University has cleaned itself up with Ramsey, Jurich, Pitino and Petrino GONE...only Grissom need to leave the BOT and it will be really really done.
2. I would be fine with Brohm but there are other candidates that I like as much if not more...specifically Ryan Day @ Ohio State and Luke Fickell @ Cincinnati.

But I trust AD Vince Tyra and will roll with whoever we get...the only candidate I don’t want is Neil Brown...he is a good coach but he would be a terrible fit here...and would split the fan base

Ryan Day isn't happening. Urban Meyer is on his last legs at OSU....Have to think he would take over for him if he walks away.

I'm all in on Brohm being the guy I want....but I'm very much open to other candidates if he shocks the world and stays at Purdue.

I like Babers, Fickell, Mike Norvell and I'm disappointed that Mike Leach's name hasn't been seen.

Ryan Day isn't happening. Urban Meyer is on his last legs at OSU....Have to think he would take over for him if he walks away.

I'm all in on Brohm being the guy I want....but I'm very much open to other candidates if he shocks the world and stays at Purdue.

I like Babers, Fickell, Mike Norvell and I'm disappointed that Mike Leach's name hasn't been seen.

It is not a done deal until the contract is signed. So you are right. I wish I could see Tyra's short list. But Jeff Brohm is my first choice, also.

Ryan Day becomes a option if Ohio State goes after Matt Campbell-(a Ohio Native himself and a raising SuperStar with College AD & NFL GM)....But I more than get your point...I’m just saying you make the call...I also like Babers & Norvell as well...I’m one of the few that isn’t a Leach guy though....

Ryan Day becomes a option if Ohio State goes after Matt Campbell-(a Ohio Native himself and a raising SuperStar with College AD & NFL GM)....But I more than get your point...I’m just saying you make the call...I also like Babers & Norvell as well...I’m one of the few that isn’t a Leach guy though....
Not a Leach guy either. He's only surpassed 9 wins in any season once in 16 years (10 in the Big 12 and 6 in the Pac 12). He "should" surpass that this year however, as he stands at 9-1 at this point in the season.

Reactions: The Public Enemy

Thats a good point about OSU.

I just think Leach is so freaking cool. lol. He's such an interesting cat.

I've been openly anti-Petrino on here for a long time, so I'm just happy he's gone. There's very few coaches they could realistically bring in that I wouldn't get behind.

How much pressure will be on Brohm if he comes to Louisville and he only wins 7 or 8 games in year 3?

Not a Leach guy either. He's only surpassed 9 wins in any season once in 16 years (10 in the Big 12 and 6 in the Pac 12). He "should" surpass that this year however, as he stands at 9-1 at this point in the season.

That and plus I finds his teams soft...can’t be soft playing against NC State, Clemson & FSU every year. Now my Darkhorse is Scott Satterfield at Appalachian State....

How much pressure will be on Brohm if he comes to Louisville and he only wins 7 or 8 games in year 3?

By year 3 that should be expected-(7 to 8 Wins)....Whoever is the HC has to change the culture and that takes time...and he has to recruit players that fit his system.

My top 3 choices are :

Brohm
Brohm
Brohm.

Just as you mentioned Campbell being an Ohio native, home is usually where the heart is.

The others, Babers , Norvell, Fickell are all poachable. As soon as the non Brohm wins 7-10 games, the Bluebloods and big boys swoop in.

Mike Leach and Neal brown if ever hired ( theyll never be hired here) would leave UofL for uofk if stoopy is gone.

It starts with Brohm and ends with Brohm.

My top 3 choices are :

Brohm
Brohm
Brohm.

Just as you mentioned Campbell being an Ohio native, home is usually where the heart is.

The others, Babers , Norvell, Fickell are all poachable. As soon as the non Brohm wins 7-10 games, the Bluebloods and big boys swoop in.

Mike Leach and Neal brown if ever hired ( theyll never be hired here) would leave UofL for uofk if stoopy is gone.

Actually I think that applies to Brohm as well....can’t be afraid of a Michigan, Ohio State, Florida or a NFL Team comes after the next Louisville Coach...Let’s say Brohm comes and the Titans, Steelers, Bears or Packers reach out after a 10-2 Louisville Season...he has to take that call.

To me every job in College Football is a Stepping Stone and the only true destination/dream jobs in Football are the 32 Jobs in the National Football League-(even Nick Saban Left LSU for the NFL As did Spurrier)

Reactions: CATFANFOLIFE87
Actually I think that applies to Brohm as well....can’t be afraid of a Michigan, Ohio State, Florida or a NFL Team comes after the next Louisville Coach...Let’s say Brohm comes and the Titans, Steelers, Bears or Packers reach out after a 10-2 Louisville Season...he has to take that call.

To me every job in College Football is a Stepping Stone and the only true destination/dream jobs in Football are the 32 Jobs in the National Football League-(even Nick Saban Left LSU for the NFL As did Spurrier)

If Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, the real Stoops coach can turn down the NFL year after year, so could Brohm.

He knows 3-8 NFL jobs open every year. They have no patience for turn arounds.
Of course the allure of the NFL is a big draw. However if he had NFL aspirations, it would have been easier landing on a staff. Not to say they still wouldn't come after him.

Brohm will be Louisville's next coach.

If Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, the real Stoops coach can turn down the NFL year after year, so could Brohm.

He knows 3-8 NFL jobs open every year. They have no patience for turn arounds.
Of course the allure of the NFL is a big draw. However if he had NFL aspirations, it would have been easier landing on a staff. Not to say they still wouldn't come after him.

Brohm will be Louisville's next coach.

Slight correction...Saban returned from the NFL after he left LSU for the Dolphins and he turned down Jimmy Haslam-(much better job in Cleveland now since John Dorsey has taken over their Football Operations)...Jimmy Johnson, Pete Carroll, Dennis Erickson, Jim Harbaugh, Mike Riley etc, etc Left College for The Show.

My point is can’t be afraid of a Coach leaving...you want your coach to be desirable...

Slight correction...Saban returned from the NFL after he left LSU for the Dolphins and he turned down Jimmy Haslam-(much better job in Cleveland now since John Dorsey has taken over their Football Operations)...Jimmy Johnson, Pete Carroll, Dennis Erickson, Jim Harbaugh, Mike Riley etc, etc Left College for The Show.

My point is can’t be afraid of a Coach leaving...you want your coach to be desirable...

I understand your point.
Desirable, yes. Poached-no.

ANY UofL coach could get poached by other colleges or the NFL.

Id like to think Brohm will turn down all.

I understand your point.
Desirable, yes. Poached-no.

ANY UofL coach could get poached by other colleges or the NFL.

Id like to think Brohm will turn down all.

I really hope you’re correct....but I’m fine with Brohm, Fickell, Babers, Norvell, Day or Satterfield...just no to Neil Brown, Mike Leach & Charlie Strong...wish I could add Venables but his sons are now on the Clemson roster and he ain’t going anywhere IMO....

Lane Kiffen

giphy-32.gif

I really hope you’re correct....but I’m fine with Brohm, Fickell, Babers, Norvell, Day or Satterfield...just no to Neil Brown, Mike Leach & Charlie Strong...wish I could add Venables but his sons are now on the Clemson roster and he ain’t going anywhere IMO....

I completely understand the allure of Brohm but I can’t believe Scott Satterfield doesn’t even seem like he’s being considered not just here but in other recent searches I’ve kind of watched the last couple years. Wonder if there’s something these AD’s know such as he’s made it know he’s not leaving where he is?

I completely understand the allure of Brohm but I can’t believe Scott Satterfield doesn’t even seem like he’s being considered not just here but in other recent searches I’ve kind of watched the last couple years. Wonder if there’s something these AD’s know such as he’s made it know he’s not leaving where he is?

Since it looks like Brohm is done-(And I’m fine with him...he was one of 6 that I liked)....if I’m UNC I am looking at Satterfield very hard.....

Reactions: jarheadky
Fickell would be a good hire.
I do not understand everyones love affair with Fickell. He is winning against just awful competition. The same thing Krags did at Tulsa. I am always worried that guys that win at this level do so recruiting players that do not transfer to a step up in competition. Just remember how bad people said the competition was when we were in the Big East/AAC and its much worse there now.

I do not understand everyones love affair with Fickell. He is winning against just awful competition. The same thing Krags did at Tulsa. I am always worried that guys that win at this level do so recruiting players that do not transfer to a step up in competition. Just remember how bad people said the competition was when we were in the Big East/AAC and its much worse there now.[/QUOTE/

Fickell has done a very good job at UC digging out from Tuberville's malfeasance. #2 on my wish list after JB. One potential downfall is that I would expect him to be poached by OSU.

Brohm has a losing record against UNranked P5 teams in his head coaching career. I'm not convinced that he's gonna be successful here anywhere close to justifying the optimism people have.

BUT I'm convinced he will be the popular coaching hire (which has nothing to do with performance). That will translate to the most fan support. And right now, "Vince" needs money more than he needs wins...

Brohm has a losing record against UNranked P5 teams in his head coaching career. I'm not convinced that he's gonna be successful here anywhere close to justifying the optimism people have.

BUT I'm convinced he will be the popular coaching hire (which has nothing to do with performance). That will translate to the most fan support. And right now, "Vince" needs money more than he needs wins...

3i4n.gif

He went 1-3 against unranked p5 comp at wku. He has went 9-10 against unranked p5 comp at Purdue during a program rebuild. He’s 3-3 against ranked p5 teams during that same rebuild at purdue. At wku he was 0-2 against ranked p5 teams (Bama, lsu). What do these numbers prove? Absolutely nothing.

WKU time is a wash, so toss those numbers. If you do that you arrive at year 2 at Purdue, where in his second year of a rebuild he’s 3-0 against ranked p5 competition. Hopefully us uofl fans don’t get to see what he can do in year 3 at Purdue. So, his hire at UofL will have everything to do with his performance, and also to do with his ability to recruit, and the fact that he’s beloved by “most” of our fan base.

Reactions: Cue Card
He went 1-3 against unranked p5 comp at wku. He has went 9-10 against unranked p5 comp at Purdue during a program rebuild. He’s 3-3 against ranked p5 teams during that same rebuild at purdue. At wku he was 0-2 against ranked p5 teams (Bama, lsu). What do these numbers prove? Absolutely nothing.

WKU time is a wash, so toss those numbers. If you do that you arrive at year 2 at Purdue, where in his second year of a rebuild he’s 3-0 against ranked p5 competition. Hopefully us uofl fans don’t get to see what he can do in year 3 at Purdue. So, his hire at UofL will have everything to do with his performance, and also to do with his ability to recruit, and the fact that he’s beloved by “most” of our fan base.
Brohm's got about the same record percentage-wise against ranked teams. And that's playing with the same roster of players and coaching staff. If anything, he's probably disproportionately played ranked teams on the ROAD.

Those aren't stats that make me confident. Beating Florida State and losing to Wake Forest doesn't get you anything but WTF questions...

Reactions: The Truffle Shuffle
Brohm's got about the same record percentage-wise against ranked teams. And that's playing with the same roster of players and coaching staff. If anything, he's probably disproportionately played ranked teams on the ROAD.

Those aren't stats that make me confident. Beating Florida State and losing to Wake Forest doesn't get you anything but WTF questions...

Honestly I don’t think there’s any coach out there that would make me confident they could rebuild our program.

The thing I am confident about with Jeff though, is that he will be able to recruit, and that he wouldn’t be looking around at other college jobs if he comes. He’s also young, and seems to have the creative offensive mind that our fan base wants. Hopefully, our fan base will have patience with him.

He will be highly successful because: he has been impeccably trained through a variety of coaching legends, has an innovative and aggressive mindset, has overperformed recruiting expectations, demonstrated the ability to dramatically improve QBs (by far the most important position), has demonstrated the ability to get quick positive results for a moribund program in a major conference, has the ability to galvanize students and fans alike. Those that follow football closely recognize his skill - that’s why the nfl is also intrigued by him. Good times ahead Zipp if we can pull off this hire.

Why wouldn't Ohio St want Fickell? Or go hard after Matt Campbell?

Why wouldn't Ohio St want Fickell? Or go hard after Matt Campbell?

Matt Campbell is highly respected in the Coaching Community and is very high on High Major AD & NFL General Managers list...and the quote you used he is talking about Ryan Day not Luke Fickell...

Since it looks like Brohm is done-(And I’m fine with him...he was one of 6 that I liked)....if I’m UNC I am looking at Satterfield very hard.....
I am hoping we are. But forts we have to fore the idiot Fedora. I then hope we approach Mike Leach. I would hope that we kick the tires on Brent Venables, especially as he might be able to get UNC alum and fellow former OU assistant coach Kevin Wilson to come as his Associate HC/OC.

And then I hope we are ready to give Satterfield a shot. He isn't just from NC - he is from Hillsborough, some 12 miles from Chapel Hill. I think he will be a P5 HC within the next 3 or 4 years.

Matt Campbell is highly respected in the Coaching Community and is very high on High Major AD & NFL General Managers list...and the quote you used he is talking about Ryan Day not Luke Fickell...
Yes, that is my point - why would Ohio St default to Day when Fickell is an alum who was a long time OSU DC, under both Tressell and Meyer, and now is a big winning HC at Cincy?

I said it in another thread and I'll repeat it here. In my mind, I can't see anybody else leading the team out of that tunnel against ND. JB has positioned himself for that moment all his post football life. It doesn't get any better, at least not to me.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT