ADVERTISEMENT

Mr basketball in Kentucky

I think the kid probably should have played more than 1/2 the season to get the award. But he is the highest rated kid in Kentucky by almost 50 spots. (55 Allen, Johnson 101 and Tandy 103.). Plus he did put up crazy numbers during the summer and 1/2 the season. In my opinion Tandy should have probably won the award , based on being the best player who played the entire season.

If the objective is to give it to the highest rated kid then there shouldn’t ever be any suspense about who wins it. They also shouldn’t worry about playing the season before fouling out the award.

Reactions: earsky
LOL, coming from a moniker calling himself the king of BIG BLUE NATION. Now tell me again WHO is basing their IDENTITY on sports??? If you had half a brain, you could figure it out and further cements why it is embarrassing to admit where I'm from. We fellow Kentuckians have a reputation of being toothless and stupid. It's sad but you aren't helping defeat that perception.

*Sigh*

It’s a throwaway user name that was changed like a year ago. That’s hardly “my identity.” My life doesn’t change whether UK wins or loses. Having lived all over the country and traveled the US and Europe, I reject the stereotype you’re trying to assess me simply because you hate Kentucky and root for the Cards.

Chill out and realize this is just meaningless entertainment and don’t take it so seriously.

Reactions: cyanide_78
I bet you haven’t either and that you don’t even know where Pendleton county is?
I bet you haven’t either and that you don’t even know where Pendleton county is?
You didn’t deny it, therefore I’m assuming I was correct! You’ve never seen Allen play yet you can say he’s better than Johnson? I never compared the two, just noted that Pendleton’s schedule is garbage. I know guys that played in that region, they said it’s a joke.

Kentucky is a beautiful state with a ton of wonderful people.

By the way, Detroit kind of sucks but it’s part of America. I think I will start telling people I’m simply from North America. I don’t want to be mixed in with the lowers from Detroit. Wait, does that sound elitist? Crap
o_O

Reactions: Cue Card
*Sigh*

It’s a throwaway user name that was changed like a year ago. That’s hardly “my identity.” My life doesn’t change whether UK wins or loses. Having lived all over the country and traveled the US and Europe, I reject the stereotype you’re trying to assess me simply because you hate Kentucky and root for the Cards.

Chill out and realize this is just meaningless entertainment and don’t take it so seriously.
We agree on two things.

1. basing your personal identity on sports is pretty dumb.
2. Your user name is and should be a 'throwaway'.

I don't hate the state of Kentucky. Never said I did. Just embarrassed to admit it's my home state when prodded because of UofK fans and the stereotype you understand is out there.

Reactions: Deeva
We agree on two things.

1. basing your personal identity on sports is pretty dumb.
2. Your user name is and should be a 'throwaway'.

I don't hate the state of Kentucky. Never said I did. Just embarrassed to admit it's my home state when prodded because of UofK fans and the stereotype you understand is out there.
The stereotype is there because you feed it into existence. Do some traveling. Kentucky is home to some of the kindest and hardest working people in the country. This is true for the majority not the minority of kentuckians. It’s a shame you’re so prejudice against the state you call home. Bummer really.

But this thread did lead me to do some research on the topic. DA should NOT have won me basketball. He didn’t play enough and folks have a right to be angry.

Do some traveling. Kentucky is home to some of the kindest and hardest working people in the country.
That includes Louisville. I worked in central Kentucky for 15 years.I drove 170 miles a day back and forth. Those folks I worked with daily,rubbed elbows with daily,refuse to come to Louisville for anything. No state fair,no nothing. You are preaching to the choir.

Well you don’t have to be a proud Kentuckian.

I just can’t believe you’d choose to live in such a miserable place

My job requires me to travel statewide pretty much year round. Covington to Williamsburg, Ashland to Hickman, Louisville to Franklin, you get the point. There’s no putting it politely, this state is trash. Uneducated, unhealthy, uninformed, unwilling to do anything to better themselves trash. There are pockets of normal, and, actually, thriving civilization in portions of the state. But, those pockets represent the minority. Overall, it’s a dump filled with dumpster divers. Why do I live here? Roots run deep. I feel somewhat responsible to try to make this place better, but the trash heap is too high.

That includes Louisville. I worked in central Kentucky for 15 years.I drove 170 miles a day back and forth. Those folks I worked with daily,rubbed elbows with daily,refuse to come to Louisville for anything. No state fair,no nothing. You are preaching to the choir.
Yes it does include Louisville, I agree. I have family in Louisville. I’m actually coming to your city Saturday for the Metallica concert. My first trip to the yum. Looking forward to it.

I just wish folks could talk ball without all the inbred redneck and linebeard crap. There’s no value in that

Didn’t deserve it. Pendleton County is a trash program playing trash competition. That’s ok though, par for the course in this backward state.

If only we could annex Louisville into Southern Indiana, I’d vote yes in a heartbeat. You know, let coal and tobacco feed the rest of the state, pave the roads, etc.

I’m hopeful Trinity or Butler can survive a game or two of 8 on 5 up there in Cowtown. What a joke.
You do realize there are UofL fans not in the city of Louisville, but hey if you want to move to Hoosier land go right ahead

I just wish folks could talk ball without all the inbred redneck and linebeard crap. There’s no value in that
You know what? I couldn't agree more. I'm old enough to tell you my perspective of why it's like it is...if you'd care to hear it.

The stereotype is there because you feed it into existence. Do some traveling. Kentucky is home to some of the kindest and hardest working people in the country. This is true for the majority not the minority of kentuckians. It’s a shame you’re so prejudice against the state you call home. Bummer really.

But this thread did lead me to do some research on the topic. DA should NOT have won me basketball. He didn’t play enough and folks have a right to be angry.
No I don't. I just say I'm from Louisville and it ends. Most out in the world understand the difference just like you do too. I agree there are great people out in the state of KY. Most are wonderful UNTIL they transform themselves by putting on the toxic big blew clothing. Just my opinion.

Isn't this thread about Kentucky Mr. Basketball? Why yes it is, and it's nice to see you understand how ridiculous it is for a kid who played in 13 games to win the award. IDC if he's the next LeBron James. He didn't deserve the award over others including David Johnson. At least we agree on that.

Lord. Basing your identity on sports is ridiculous regardless. That’s hardly going to be a reason I judge an entire state. I’ll take the horses, the bourbon, and the beautiful land. I’ve become totally indifferent about sports but have enough sense to take this state over Indiana.

And yet, here you are...

I’m happy to see the talent level picking up in the state. That’s three pretty good players right there and I’m sure there are some more who signed smaller D1 athletic scholarships.

We've seen so many of these kids, both football and basketball, from rural Kentucky that were sensations in high school, that turn out to be very average at best college players.

Kentucky is backward and it has nothing to do with whether the state is beautiful or not. And it doesn’t mean there aren’t hardworking people. It’s just the way it is. Education near the bottom, wet counties near the bottom, health near the bottom, now gambling will be last if at all. List goes on and on. When it comes to SuCk being threatened by another university, well that’s when their at the top of the list. Its just what it is.
Well you don’t have to be a proud Kentuckian.

I just can’t believe you’d choose to live in such a miserable place

I’m not from KY, but if the truth hurts change it. People are nice and friendly, but the state as a whole has a lot of work to get things straight. Nothing I pointed out is a lie. But the politicians and many out in the state are good at sucking Louisville dry when it comes to money, but hate Louisville the rest of the time. Actually I think their afraid of it the “Big City”. Lol. That’s why the HS BB tournament is in Lexington. And I didn’t say it was a bad place to live. I can and did control those things myself.

Last edited:
If the objective is to give it to the highest rated kid then there shouldn’t ever be any suspense about who wins it. They also shouldn’t worry about playing the season before fouling out the award.
Allen was the highest rated Kentucky recruit on Rivals. 247 has Johnson listed as the highest recruit from Kentucky. Tandy was very close on Rivals and 247. I agree that the award should not simply favor the highest rated kid on the national level. I also agree that a player, even if the highest regarded, should not get the award while playing less than half of the season. While Allen may prove the very best in the future, I think Johnson or Tandy should have been named POY.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
There’s plenty of UofL fans in southern Indiana too.
Most likely true, but the poster acts like on those who live in Louisville are Card fans, when it is probably harder to be a Card fan outside the city of Louisville, hell there where only three of us back in high school in when I was rooting for Denny and his high flying cards.

I’m not from KY, but if the truth hurts change it. People are nice and friendly, but the state as a whole has a lot of work to get things straight. Nothing I pointed out is a lie. But the politicians and many out in the state are good at sucking Louisville dry when it comes to money, but hate Louisville the rest of the time. Actually I think their afraid of it the “Big City”. Lol. That’s why the HS BB tournament is in Lexington. And I didn’t say it was a bad place to live. I can and did control those things myself.
I don't think it's a fear of the "Big City" because most of us in the southern/western part of the state love going to Nashville...and I know there's a big contingent in the NKY area that love the city of Cincinnati.

Most people in the state don't like Louisville and it's not because of the rivalry....there a huge contingent of people who don't care about sports and then it's not 99% UK fans in every town either. I did part of my college career in Louisville....I didn't hate...didn't love it...it was alright to live in...traffic was hectic (so was Lexington). My grandparents (UofL season ticket holders since Denny and Old Cardinal Stadium) are from here too.

Nashville is where I preferred traveling when I was in school and tried to apply for jobs here and avoided looking in Louisville...it wouldn't be the worst place to live but just not the top of my list because it's not particularly special. I will say that 4th Street's changes over the years have added a lot to downtown....the Yum Center is a great addition to downtown as well. Pro Sports (NHL, NBA, Etc.) would really add another fun element to the city.

You didn’t deny it, therefore I’m assuming I was correct! You’ve never seen Allen play yet you can say he’s better than Johnson? I never compared the two, just noted that Pendleton’s schedule is garbage. I know guys that played in that region, they said it’s a joke.
The 10th Region is hit or miss. Campbell Co. just beat John Hardin, the top ranked team in the state. George Rogers Clark is always good and Mason Co. is usually very good. Pendleton would have been a threat in the region with Allen healthy. Schools travel out of town more to holiday tournaments than they did years ago with not as many home and homes with regional foes. My old school went to Tennessee and the KIng of the Bluegrass this year along with the Class A, a far cry from my day.

The 10th Region is hit or miss. Campbell Co. just beat John Hardin, the top ranked team in the state. George Rogers Clark is always good and Mason Co. is usually very good. Pendleton would have been a threat in the region with Allen healthy. Schools travel out of town more to holiday tournaments than they did years ago with not as many home and homes with regional foes. My old school went to Tennessee and the KIng of the Bluegrass this year along with the Class A, a far cry from my day.
Find someone that picked John Hardin to win the state tournament and I’ll eat my hat.

If you explained why that was,excuse me,but I didn't see why that was if it wasn't the rivalry.
Well coming from Hoptown...I can't really be the perfect example because Hoptown isn't a smalltown Kentucky city. It's very diverse and has some industry. And also, growing up in WKY we see Nashville as our metropolitan area(like I mentioned earlier). I never really lived in a small town outside of Murray Ky for some grad school...but that's probably one of the nicer more well-off towns in the state because of Murray State.

I can't really put the rivalry on why there's hatred, because it's not like everyone is a huge basketball fan. There's probably a good number of people who like UK for the "state pride"...and then add in the diehards who aren't as many as you think...just loud mouths.

A lot of people around here care more about their farm, their church, GOP politics, etc. I'd say that the church is the big pillar of every community around these parts.

Louisville really doesn't stand out compared to other metro areas...even though there are fun things there...just not the #1 place people want to go most of the time. Most people here hate the northern part of the state...and that includes Lexington. If it wasn't for UK...all of these people would probably have the same view of Lexington. They see Louisville as small towns view all cities....crime filled, liberal, taking their children away as they won't move back home, and people who look down upon their small town way of life.

I'd say similar to St. Louis...I travel their every year, but if it wasn't for Cardinal baseball....I wouldn't really think twice about a vacation their. And even St. Louis has the Arch. When you think of Louisville from a national perspective...you just really think of the Derby.

And because there's nothing really special for those small town people to associate Louisville with...no reason for them to go out of their way to travel there...not saying they're right. I have fond memories from my time in Louisville.

Like the national conversation...small towns and big cities both have pros and cons. Small towns are more peaceful...but big cities are actually with the time when it comes to education and technology. We all could learn from one another.

Well coming from Hoptown...I can't really be the perfect example because Hoptown isn't a smalltown Kentucky city. It's very diverse and has some industry. And also, growing up in WKY we see Nashville as our metropolitan area(like I mentioned earlier). I never really lived in a small town outside of Murray Ky for some grad school...but that's probably one of the nicer more well-off towns in the state because of Murray State.

I can't really put the rivalry on why there's hatred, because it's not like everyone is a huge basketball fan. There's probably a good number of people who like UK for the "state pride"...and then add in the diehards who aren't as many as you think...just loud mouths.

A lot of people around here care more about their farm, their church, GOP politics, etc. I'd say that the church is the big pillar of every community around these parts.

Louisville really doesn't stand out compared to other metro areas...even though there are fun things there...just not the #1 place people want to go most of the time. Most people here hate the northern part of the state...and that includes Lexington. If it wasn't for UK...all of these people would probably have the same view of Lexington. They see Louisville as small towns view all cities....crime filled, liberal, taking their children away as they won't move back home, and people who look down upon their small town way of life.

I'd say similar to St. Louis...I travel their every year, but if it wasn't for Cardinal baseball....I wouldn't really think twice about a vacation their. And even St. Louis has the Arch. When you think of Louisville from a national perspective...you just really think of the Derby.

And because there's nothing really special for those small town people to associate Louisville with...no reason for them to go out of their way to travel there...not saying they're right. I have fond memories from my time in Louisville.

Like the national conversation...small towns and big cities both have pros and cons. Small towns are more peaceful...but big cities are actually with the time when it comes to education and technology. We all could learn from one another.
Are you kidding me. My wife was from Hoptown. I met her while attending WKU. Hoptown was smaller and still is than the Metropolis Bowling Green. They just got a BWW’s. It’s hard to find a decent restaurant without going to Clarksville or Nashville. Shit they don’t even have a mall any more.

It’s diverse because it’s a military driven community like Radcliff.

Find someone that picked John Hardin to win the state tournament and I’ll eat my hat.
I have a friend who did. He was shocked that Campbell Co. beat them and he's a 10th Region guy. I could find very few extremely tough opponents for them. If Scott can come within 3 points of them, they were extremely beatable. IMO it comes down to Trinity and Scott Co., but wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't.

Whats liberal got to do with anything ?
There arent and conservatives in Metro Louisville ?
Conversely, there arent any 'liberals' in the small towns ?

Kentucky has 120 counties.
Every crime committed in Jefferson county is replicated in the other 119. EVERY CRIME. Its just on a smaller scale.

Youre speaking with a forked tongue.

The hate pre-dates liberalism,big city crime and small vs. big.
The date was around 1971,when one Dennis Crum came to town and started to push for some space.

I don't think it's a fear of the "Big City" because most of us in the southern/western part of the state love going to Nashville...and I know there's a big contingent in the NKY area that love the city of Cincinnati.

Most people in the state don't like Louisville and it's not because of the rivalry....there a huge contingent of people who don't care about sports and then it's not 99% UK fans in every town either. I did part of my college career in Louisville....I didn't hate...didn't love it...it was alright to live in...traffic was hectic (so was Lexington). My grandparents (UofL season ticket holders since Denny and Old Cardinal Stadium) are from here too.

Nashville is where I preferred traveling when I was in school and tried to apply for jobs here and avoided looking in Louisville...it wouldn't be the worst place to live but just not the top of my list because it's not particularly special. I will say that 4th Street's changes over the years have added a lot to downtown....the Yum Center is a great addition to downtown as well. Pro Sports (NHL, NBA, Etc.) would really add another fun element to the city.

Lol. Yeah HoptownCAT93. Cat yep rest my case. Do us a favor and go home.

Whats liberal got to do with anything ?
There arent and conservatives in Metro Louisville ?
Conversely, there arent any 'liberals' in the small towns ?

Kentucky has 120 counties.
Every crime committed in Jefferson county is replicated in the other 119. EVERY CRIME. Its just on a smaller scale.

Youre speaking with a forked tongue.
Well go look at any election....go look in every state on the map....

You'll see metro areas in deep shaded blue....and the rest of the state in strong red. Opposite colors of the basketball equation.

Well go look at any election....go look in every state on the map....

You'll see metro areas in deep shaded blue....and the rest of the state in strong red. Opposite colors of the basketball equation.
Wait - what?

So metro vs. rural or progressive vs. conservative has a direct effect on the college program you support? o_O

Are you kidding me. My wife was from Hoptown. I met her while attending WKU. Hoptown was smaller and still is than the Metropolis Bowling Green. They just got a BWW’s. It’s hard to find a decent restaurant without going to Clarksville or Nashville. Shit they don’t even have a mall any more.

It’s diverse because it’s a military driven community like Radcliff.
It's not diverse because it's military driven, those people live in the southern part of the county in Oak Grove. I went to an elementary school where it was only 40% white, try to find that anywhere in the state outside of L'Ville and Lex. Being mixed race myself, I've learned all about the proud African-American history in our city post civil-war.

Compare it to surrounding towns like an Elkton or a Cadiz...those are what I consider small-towns. They still have town squares...their kids grow up in school together from kindergarten through graduation....they don't have many chain stores or fast-food places...Hoptown isn't big...but I'd consider it just an average to below average city and not a small town.

Wait - what?

So metro vs. rural or progressive vs. conservative has a direct effect on the college program you support? o_O
Well if you recall the question asked of me (see above), it was asked why I believe people hate Louisville beyond the rivalry. I just explained people hate Louisville the same as they hate other big cities....and you underrate the big portion of people in this state who don't generally care about sports. It's the same urban/rural divide in values that has been talked about since the last election. It's beyond sports....though a lot of us love sports...most people are not as into it as we are...then there's casual fans who don't care much...this rivalry is big to the fans.

But being in this forum of sports fans, specifically UofL fans, you all probably view things from a sports-centered perspective...and you are just going to think the state is 99.9% Kentucky fans...which there are a large number...but it's not as big as you'd think just because sports aren't a big deal in everyone's life....and that's something that is true in urban and rural areas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT