ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones being sued by Referee Higgins

Hope matty bangs and his stooge franklin get the hammer dropped on them at the same time the fbi drops it on the yut basketball program.

That article was also a good reminder to Louisville fans that - despite our ongoing issues - at least we’ll always be better than the no class mouth breathers that make up big hillbilly nation.

Hmmmm.....I hate to say this, but as an attorney well versed in Constitutional law...that isn't going anywhere but the trash bin.

He's a public figure due to his position as an official, which in turn means there is a higher threshold in proving defamation. They also told their listeners not to contact him and the info in regards to his business is published publicly. It really doesn't matter that Matty mentioned the business on his show. It's reasonable to think that an average person with average intelligence could figure these things out via a mere Google search.

Hmmmm.....I hate to say this, but as an attorney well versed in Constitutional law...that isn't going anywhere but the trash bin.

He's a public figure due to his position as an official, which in turn means there is a higher threshold in proving defamation. They also told their listeners not to contact him and the info in regards to his business is published publicly. It really doesn't matter that Matty mentioned the business on his show. It's reasonable to think that an average person with average intelligence could figure these things out via a mere Google search.
Your argument made complete sense until you used the words “average person with average intelligence”. As there is a serious dearth of those types in BHN, the liability could fall squarely back on matty bangs.

Nice 1st post btw...

Your argument made complete sense until you used the words “average person with average intelligence”. As there is a serious dearth of those types in BHN, the liability could fall squarely back on matty bangs.

Nice 1st post btw...

I'm pretty normal and I have plenty of normal friends that are UK fans. Granted, you get out into the red counties and they're mostly populated by idiot hilljacks.

I haven't read Higgins' complaint, but $75K is a pretty specific number that sounds grounded in actual costs. If he can prove those costs, it doesn't matter whether he's a public figure or not.

Being in the public doesn't make it open season for a clan of mouth-breathers to lay siege and cost you money. He's got a good case, again, if he can prove those costs...

I haven't read Higgins' complaint, but $75K is a pretty specific number that sounds grounded in actual costs. If he can prove those costs, it doesn't matter whether he's a public figure or not.

Being in the public doesn't make it open season for a clan of mouth-breathers to lay siege and cost you money. He's got a good case, again, if he can prove those costs...
That is completely incorrect. The heightened standard for public figures relates to the culpability of the defendant -- i.e., a public figure must show that a defendant intentionally said things that he knew were false. The plaintiff must then establish actual damages, which is not easy. Also, the $75,000 figure is just to establish jurisdiction, so it has nothing to do with his actual damages, except that he is claiming they are in excess of the jurisdictional requirement.

Whether you like Matt Jones or not (obviously everyone here does not), this case is borderline frivolous and will get dismissed fairly quickly because it is not against the law to provide public information and to host a forum where people say bad things. Whatever wrongdoing there was falls on the fans. One interesting thing that may come from this is that Higgins could be prevented from ever officiating another UK game because this creates a pretty significant conflict of interest.

Reactions: trinity45
That is completely incorrect. The heightened standard for public figures relates to the culpability of the defendant -- i.e., a public figure must show that a defendant intentionally said things that he knew were false. The plaintiff must then establish actual damages, which is not easy. Also, the $75,000 figure is just to establish jurisdiction, so it has nothing to do with his actual damages, except that he is claiming they are in excess of the jurisdictional requirement.

Whether you like Matt Jones or not (obviously everyone here does not), this case is borderline frivolous and will get dismissed fairly quickly because it is not against the law to provide public information and to host a forum where people say bad things. Whatever wrongdoing there was falls on the fans. One interesting thing that may come from this is that Higgins could be prevented from ever officiating another UK game because this creates a pretty significant conflict of interest.
You're good at NOT reading what I said...

At the top, I acknowledged that I had not read Higgins' complaint and that I assumed the $75K was based on quantifiable damages which his family business incurred. If it's related to something intangible, then it significantly weakens his case. But that wasn't how my remarks were prefaced.

Similarly, such damages would not be of the nature of "saying things that were false" or "hosting a forum" for those comments. Rather, they would be measurable damages.

Troll me with a little more accuracy please...

Reactions: Rollem Cards

That is correct, however, those individuals rather than Matt is where he's ire should lay. He's going to have a tough time going after Bangs who is merely reporting events. Laughing at something, while maybe in bad taste, isn't a crime nor anything within the realms of being a form of speech that would not be defended by the 1st.

Allowing this to go forward in it's current form would have a chilling effect on all of us, not only media.

Reactions: OmegaCard
That is correct, however, those individuals rather than Matt is where he's ire should lay. He's going to have a tough time going after Bangs who is merely reporting events. Laughing at something, while maybe in bad taste, isn't a crime nor anything within the realms of being a form of speech that would not be defended by the 1st.

Allowing this to go forward in it's current form would have a chilling effect on all of us, not only media.
You sue the deepest pockets, and Maddie contributed to the damages. I'm not a lawyer, but his involvement is more than circumstantial. The key is whether damages can be proven...

Zipp I typically enjoy your fishing expeditions but I find it below you to argue with actual lawyers (even those from your own fanbase) and act like they have no clue what they are talking about. You show better when you're dealing with emotional people rather than intellectual people.

Does anyone remember the small pizza business in Louisville, Jones got into a feud with a couple of years ago?

None of this will come to fruition. Jones will be liable for nothing. I could use several examples of you guys dragging several people's name through the mud and probably causing actual emotional distress. KP????granted, she was a prostitute. But Higgins is also a horrible ref. So they both deserve it in My eye. Didn't deserve death threats, but it was made out like every person in the BBN said it when it was actually less than 12.

Reactions: RogerIndy
I believe the fact that Higgins has historically been assigned big games and important tournament games indicates that he is not , in fact , a " horrible ref." but is well respected among the people who grade referee performance.
Perhaps nothing comes of Matt Jones ridiculous incitement of an idiotic fanbase . It is relatively easy to lead stupid people and his show, no doubt, plays to the lowest common denominator of the U.K. fanbase.

I believe the fact that Higgins has historically been assigned big games and important tournament games indicates that he is not , in fact , a " horrible ref." but is well respected among the people who grade referee performance.
Perhaps nothing comes of Matt Jones ridiculous incitement of an idiotic fanbase . It is relatively easy to lead stupid people and his show, no doubt, plays to the lowest common denominator of the U.K. fanbase.
John Higgins was just named the 2017 Naismith Official of the Year.

And you know they're actual lawyers how?

Because they say they are?

On the internet? :p:D;):):p:D:p

Well then call me a millionaire Space Shuttle pilot Supreme Court Justice.

But, on the other hand, we know for a fact that everyone on here is a coach. ;)

That's a good point rollem.

In this context, I think zipp does believe they are actual lawyers but still thinks he knows more about the law than they do.

Zipp I typically enjoy your fishing expeditions but I find it below you to argue with actual lawyers (even those from your own fanbase) and act like they have no clue what they are talking about. You show better when you're dealing with emotional people rather than intellectual people.
Without agreeing or disagreeing, who are the "actual lawyers" I'm debating with? (Just so I know my audience...)

...Didn't deserve death threats, but it was made out like every person in the BBN said it when it was actually less than 12.
Agree that "only 12" is a smaller swarm than slapd!cks can usually muster.

"Elite program," my a$$...

I'm not an attorney, but know enough to understand what L1C4 meant with his ominous hint of what this would mean for everyone if Higgins was successful. I took similar ground when this subject was live and people were wanting cat fans to go to jail over the threats.

Really just another example of how some can't put the rivalry/game in check and willing to take things way too far imo.

In this context, I think zipp does believe they are actual lawyers but still thinks he knows more about the law than they do.
(I should have read further...)

John, it's a little unlike you to make bad assumptions and not have your info straight or couch something as hypothetical--which I clearly did. If you weren't a guy with a lot better track record here, I'd dismiss you as a garden variety slapd!ck.

That said, most lawyers obviously know law better than non-lawyers. In the end, however, we're all just walking opinions. So I'll turn this around on you...

I'd ask you to find me a couple of lawyers who disagree with my position that IF Higgins' damages are quantifiable and attributable to the LPT fanbase, that he can't reasonably seek relief from the guy (Jones) who pointed that fanbase at him. If you can show me those educated opinions, I'll reconsider my position.

And stay in touch otherwise...

Would it matter? You'd still call them stupid.
I sure as hell might if they were slappy lawyers.

(John, in that respect, try to find us NON-LPT lawyers to eliminate that potential bias...)

"Elite program," my a$$...

tenor.gif

Plus, if they are, there are just as many who will argue the other side.

That's why both sides have one. Or more.

Wait.

Does that mean the lawyers on both sides think they know more about the law than the other guy?

I'm confused :confused:

Maybe that's why most cases are "settled". Nobody knows $#!T?;)

Reactions: JohnKBA
Well apparently someone at KSR posted his business information and HIS PERSONAL address on their website. If true, this is what triggered the lawsuit.

Not good at all if there is any truth to this.

Actually a strange lawsuit, and one that should be reconsidered. Higgins recently won.a.prestigious award for being official of the year. Lol...Jones, Franklin and.some crazed UK fans may have helped that vote.
I personally don't think Higgins is a great official due to being inconsistent with his calls.
I guess I would feel that way.
He's putting himself in a situation where he definitely won't be assigned to a UK game, which may mean nothing, but the amount he's suing.for is an odd.number and will be difficult to prove in court. I don't know about Louisville, but SEC teams always know who their officials are pregame.....and a simple Google search can tell any fan anything they want to know.

Actually a strange lawsuit, and one that should be reconsidered. Higgins recently won.a.prestigious award for being official of the year. Lol...Jones, Franklin and.some crazed UK fans may have helped that vote.
I personally don't think Higgins is a great official due to being inconsistent with his calls.
I guess I would feel that way.
He's putting himself in a situation where he definitely won't be assigned to a UK game, which may mean nothing, but the amount he's suing.for is an odd.number and will be difficult to prove in court. I don't know about Louisville, but SEC teams always know who their officials are pregame.....and a simple Google search can tell any fan anything they want to know.

1. Why would it be a strange lawsuit. He and his business was THREATENED. This isnt NK, you cant get away with that crap here.

2. All refs are inconsistent. Theyre largely middle age men trying to keep up with ten 18-22 yrs, running up and down the court, while being jeered by fans and derided by coaches. No one can grade out at 100 %

3. SuCkS fans dont get to decide who refs their games. The NCAA and SEC do.
Suing isnt a conflict of interest. He's protecting himself and his business while sending a message such insolence wont be without consequences.

4. Knowing who refs your games before hand is one thing. Having a website that denotes the record of each ref for a SuCkS game is borderline insane. SuCkS has had 35 five stars and what 20-25 NBA players and only manage to win one title since 2009. Blaming that failure on the refs instead of Crapiperi is vogue in blewland.

5. Yes, some Cards fans know the refs for games and blame the refs for a loss.
I did question the 3 in UofL losing against SuCkS the last 2 times, however i would NEVER research and publish their personal life information on here or elsewhere. Any Cards fan who did i would put on ignore and request the mods ban them. Its just a game.

6. Higgins wasnt even the 1st ref the cayuts fans went after. They published a refs home number from TN.

Good enough points KR, and in fact I was pretty surprised at the ferocity Higgins received,, especially when you have a seven point lead and the ball with two to go.

The lawsuit though, is for loss of business? He lost 75000 since March because of Kentucky fans and Matt Jones? Or is it from mental duress and medical treatment?
OR is it payback to Jones? The guy has a crappy enough show anyway from the three times I happened on it.....all this does is get him something else.to ramble insanely about....in effect feeding his listeners.
Look, if the guy can prove this deal cost him seventy five grand, then go for it. Just seems like a case of two big egos feeding each other to me.

Good enough points KR, and in fact I was pretty surprised at the ferocity Higgins received,, especially when you have a seven point lead and the ball with two to go.

The lawsuit though, is for loss of business? He lost 75000 since March because of Kentucky fans and Matt Jones? Or is it from mental duress and medical treatment?
OR is it payback to Jones? The guy has a crappy enough show anyway from the three times I happened on it.....all this does is get him something else.to ramble insanely about....in effect feeding his listeners.
Look, if the guy can prove this deal cost him seventy five grand, then go for it. Just seems like a case of two big egos feeding each other to me.

The reason he's suing for more than $75,000 is to get the case out of state court and into federal court. He is suing under diversity jurisdiction which requires that the parties be from different states and that the amount in controversy be at least $75,000. Without claiming that, he would be forced to sue in Kentucky state court, which would be a more difficult (read: possibly biased) road for him.

Exactly the take I would expect from a Slapd_ck fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT