ADVERTISEMENT

Marques Bolden takes shot at uk

People who live ina fish bowl want to be judged or they wouldn't want to live in that fish bowl. He is who he is, and his public record is all I need to know I don't like him. FWIW, there are several who live in the public whom I don't care much for, and that includes Rick Pitino too. I know that will surprise many who post here but it shouldn't because I've said that more than a few times.
These coaches don't get paid IMO for people to like them. They get paid to win and do it within the rules. You won't see me criticizing too many coaches about stuff that happens off the field/court...

Reactions: JohnKBA
The guy earns his paycheck recruiting. On that, you'll get no argument from me. But in the coaching debate, there's no mystery explaining the results you cite.

The SEC provides such sorry competition in basketball that your team is almost always guaranteed a top seed--if not being overseeded--by the time the last 20 games of your season are played. And the tourney has proven how important that is. If you enter the postseason with any of the four one-seeds, it's an upset when you don't make the Final Four. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I think LPT has just about as many one-seeds as they do Final Fours since Pitino Lite has been there.

And your record in the Final Four is not nearly as good. Why? Because you're meeting teams of comparable quality in the Final Four. At that point, seeding ain't as much of a factor if it is at all. Pitino Lite generally has problems when he meets teams of comparable quality, I would argue because his coaching skills come more into play.

But he definitely lands the recruits even though much of that talent is in the end wasted.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Here is a breakdown of how many No. 1 seeds have reached the Final Four since 1985:

None: 2 times

One: 13 times

Two: 11 times

Three: 4 times

Four: 1 time

So, in 32 years, there have been 128 #1 seeds in the tourney. 51 of those have made the final four. Seems to me it's not an upset at all to not make the final four as a 1 seed. In fact, Cal has been a 1 seed at UK 3 times and made the Final Four 2 of those 3 years, as well as making it 2 other times. So he's been in the final four 4 times in 7 years with 3 #1 seeds. That's a 133% success rate if you assume he should have made it every year as a 1 seed but not made it any other year at all. Thats a bit better than 51/128 I think, but I do have a Canadian education. :D

Last edited:
These kids are taking the classes that they can manage. They all have the game to at least think about the NBA, that is their goal.

So not only does this guy claim to know what these guys think about, he also knows what classes they are taking.

Well, as far as slapping lipstick on a pig you guys do just as much of that as anyone I've ever seen and I'll leave it at that. I'm not here to sling mud.
Tgere is no lipstick being applied here though. Mathews came out and said he wanted to be a more featured player whereas the Duke kid left in anger. You would have to have an agenda to see it any differently.
Next thing you're going to tell me is that Rasheed Sulaiman left Duke on good terms.
Not that it matters to me, but I bet that you were ok when Calipari ran off players to make room for the Memphis recruits he wanted to bring with him, right? Do you think that those players that left were happy?

Reactions: Cue Card
The poster you quoted always loses me at 17% grad rate, everyone in Lexington is a racist, WVU had 1 top 100 player, blah blah blah blah blah. I've never seen a person repeat the same arguments so often. He's been doing it for years and years and has come up with zero new material. He got schooled to death by wastra on the other U of L board last month, it was hilarious to just watch him continue to make stuff up and try to pass it off as fact, then be called out, then just try it again. I'd hate to be that bitter.
I used to be like that. It's easy to look at someone you don't like, pick out what they do differently and stab it to death. I grew up and realized that I could end up having to later defend what I was mocking at one time.
I caught some slack on the blue board for going against the grain in regards to hating coach K. I don't understand why anyone could hate a guy they never met. I can understand it if the guy was a complete jerk but I've never gotten that from coach K. Does he swear? I guess so, but so do I. Has he made mistakes? Yes, and so have I. The difference is my life is not in the spotlight every day like these coaches lives are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Louisville JD
Not that it matters to me, but I bet that you were ok when Calipari ran off players to make room for the Memphis recruits he wanted to bring with him, right? Do you think that those players that left were happy?
Yeah that's what he did.

I'm not looking for a pass, I'm just stating a fact, it's harder to do.
The point you were debating is that Pitino Lite wastes talent. It's irrelevant how young that talent is, or at least it is to him. If it's not, he would be recruiting more guys who stick around four years.

If you think Lite should be doing that, then make that your argument, that he's recruiting too many of the wrong kids...

Those guys stunk. They should blame Barnhart for hiring Gillispie, not Cal for that. They never belonged at UK, let alone any decent Major conference team. Big time college sports is a business, plain and simple. So a few defective parts got caught during inspection and were removed from the machine. I do that every day at work.

Alot of programs have defections, even at the top of the game. It's silly to try to differentiate reasons as to why. Social media has allowed a format for crazy uncles to put their two cents in.

These coaches don't get paid IMO for people to like them. They get paid to win and do it within the rules. You won't see me criticizing too many coaches about stuff that happens off the field/court...
Totally agree. That doesn't change my opinions of the two I mentioned however. It really is the way it is. I don't have a great deal of respect for either for different reasons. Pitino is and always has been a drama queen who exaggerates over the top crap all the time and it gets old listening to it. Calipari just has this very fake made up image that is as transparent as his love for his fan base. He's a phony. He always has been.

The point you were debating is that Pitino Lite wastes talent. It's irrelevant how young that talent is, or at least it is to him. If it's not, he would be recruiting more guys who stick around four years.

If you think Lite should be doing that, then make that your argument, that he's recruiting too many of the wrong kids...

Honestly zipp, I think it's as broad as it is long. Pitino got one title in 8 years here doing it his way. Tubby got 1 title in 9 years doing it his way. Cal has 1 title in 7 years doing it his way. All three overachieved vs historical averages at UK. It's really hard to win titles. REALLY hard.

Oh yeah, that's exactly what I was debating. LOL.

So I pay the players a compliment and you respond with this?

You said the players don't aspire to have top professions outside of basketball, and simply "manage their classes" - that's not paying them a compliment at all. There are a # of players that take being a scholar seriously. To say that they are all just taking classes they can manage is actually insulting. Your failure to understand what I'm explaining is on you.

...So, in 32 years, there have been 128 #1 seeds in the tourney. 51 of those have made the final four. Seems to me it's not an upset at all to not make the final four as a 1 seed...
Correlation doesn't equate to always happening. There's no question that being a one-seed greatly enhances your chances of a run to a Final Four. But there are other variables such as where you're playing, e.g., a one-seed moved out west.

51 of 128 is about what I would have expected and in no way disproves the relationship between seeding and results. Let's face it, if it didn't matter over the long haul, coaches would be OK filling the bracket each year by just pulling names out of a hat...

You said the players don't aspire to have top professions outside of basketball, and simply "manage their classes" - that's not paying them a compliment at all. There are a # of players that take being a scholar seriously. To say that they are all just taking classes they can manage is actually insulting. Your failure to understand what I'm explaining is on you.
Yeah, and some of them can manage tougher classes than others can. Alex Poythress is one of them.
But playing for a bigtime basketball program and juggling difficult, demanding classes is tough to do.
Make of that what you wish but that is not a slap at anybody.

Correlation doesn't equate to always happening. There's no question that being a one-seed greatly enhances your chances of a run to a Final Four. But there are other variables such as where you're playing, e.g., a one-seed moved out west.

51 of 128 is about what I would have expected and in no way disproves the relationship between seeding and results. Let's face it, if it didn't matter over the long haul, coaches would be OK filling the bracket each year by just pulling names out of a hat...

I won't argue with your point here. Numbers can be made to say whatever you want them to say, really. You could say that nearly 40% of all final four teams have been #1 seeds, which is a much, much higher number than any other seed, and paint that as a way to convince someone that not making the final four as a 1 seed is a failure. I see the tourney for what it is - largely a crapshoot. Being a higher seed definitely reduces your variance though.

Make of that what you wish but that is not a slap at anybody.

When you said you are "not seeing too many kids on UofL's basketball team that are studying to be lawyers" you're insulting the players. The reality is you have no idea what courses players at UofL are taking. So you are doubling down, you are insulting, and you are uninformed. Congrats for doubling down.

No, the "failure to understand" is squarely on your shoulders. You took what I posted out of context.

When you said you are "not seeing too many kids on UofL's basketball team that are studying to be lawyers" you're insulting the players. The reality is you have no idea what courses players at UofL are taking. So you are doubling down, you are insulting, and you are uninformed. Congrats for doubling down.
No, that's not at all what I said but carry on with your agenda.

Whether you recruit 1 one and done or 10 you're buying into the system. Half of you guys talk about education to make your point but anyone that leaves before they graduate wasn't there for the education anyway.
So what, RP doesn't want an entire team that is made up of top notch HS kids, Calipari does. It's just a preference.
Besides, do you see what these kids have to go through to play at that level? I'm amazed at any kid that can juggle CBB and tough college courses at the same time.
You aren't seeing too many kids on UL's basketball team that are studying to be lawyers. These kids are taking the classes that they can manage. They all have the game to at least think about the NBA, that is their goal. They aren't signing scholarships at UL to become architects, basketball is #1 if they are that good.
:confused:

Honestly zipp, I think it's as broad as it is long. Pitino got one title in 8 years here doing it his way. Tubby got 1 title in 9 years doing it his way. Cal has 1 title in 7 years doing it his way. All three overachieved vs historical averages at UK. It's really hard to win titles. REALLY hard.
I think the point is,no matter which is harder,Cal has chosen his way.He nor the fans should get to whine about how hard it is to win it all with a new group every year.Embrace it.

No way imo,does Cal believe before he took you guys on this roller coaster ride,that twists and turns with every new season,that it would be this hard.He did it because he hoped that the talent would trump the youth.The exception to the way it has turned out,was the 2012 team that had 2 guys NBA ready out of high school and a savvy senior that held everybody together.If you guys have truely embraced Cal's philosophy,then leave it be about how hard it is.

I think the point is,no matter which is harder,Cal has chosen his way.He nor the fans should get to whine about how hard it is to win it all with a new group every year.Embrace it.

No way imo,does Cal believe before he took you guys on this roller coaster ride,that twists and turns with every new season,that it would be this hard.He did it because he hoped that the talent would trump the youth.The exception to the way it has turned out,was the 2012 team that had 2 guys NBA ready out of high school and a savvy senior that held everybody together.If you guys have truely embraced Cal's philosophy,then leave it be about how hard it is.

I'm pretty sure that's what I just did, unless I've had too much Stagg.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT