ADVERTISEMENT

Marques Bolden takes shot at uk

Cardiotonic

4000+
Nov 18, 2001
In picking Duke over uk Marques Bolden threw shade over uk a very direct shot !
He said........
"My goal is not only to be drafted in the NBA but to play in the NBA," Bolden said. "I feel Duke will best help me reach my goal."

Smart guy. He may well have picked UK if not for that fanbase. UK has more than their fair share of basketball idiots. They don't understand the difference between recruiting class rankings and the best college basketball teams. The #1 recruiting class does not equate with being the #1 team - not even close. In fact, if all you have are a bunch of freshmen to rely on, then any claim that you will be one of the top teams competing for a championship is delusional and a joke.

Duke doesn't have to rely heavily on freshmen, hence they are a real threat to win it all. UK? - not so much. Poor UK. Now Duke even owns them in recruiting too. Cal and UK are now clearly Coach K's and Duke's b*tch.

UK still has the #1 recruiting class according to ESPN

Bam
Monk
Fox
Gabriel
Jones

That's one sick class, how is UK Coach K's bitch?

Let's not forget the Champions classic this past year in which Kentucky beat Duke head to head

Bam
Monk
Fox
Gabriel
Jones

Let's not forget the Champions classic this past year in which Kentucky beat Duke head to head

You don't get it. No. 1 recruiting class means nothing. It's irrelevant for UK because they all leave your program before they develop into really good players. So your program never builds, it just constantly churns and turns over. Your program is constantly running in place.

Now if UK could stack that talent, meaning you had significant holdovers from year to year, then yes your #1 recruiting classes may mean something. But as it is, all it means is you get to take the pretty girl to the prom while someone else gets to kiss her.

Bam
Monk
Fox
Gabriel
Jones

And what does that mean? UCLA, Ohio state, LSU, Auburn, all beat Kentucky, and none of those even made the field of 68...lol

Bam
Monk
Fox
Gabriel
Jones

The addition of Bolden to an already loaded Blue Devils’ recruiting class prompted Scout.com and 247Sports to place Duke ahead of UK for the No. 1 class of 2016.

Rivals.com and ESPN kept the Cats at No. 1, a reminder that Calipari’s latest group of recruits, which includes five Top 25 prospects, is not to be forgotten.

“Bolden was the icing on the cake, if anything,” said Scout.com’s Evan Daniels. “Kentucky still has a great class. Obviously, Marques Bolden was a guy who they wanted to have on board. And I’m sure, they’re a little disappointed.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/sports/coll...etball-men/article78636867.html#storylink=cpy

Between that frontcourt and a perimeter corps that will include returners Grayson Allen, Luke Kennard and Matt Jones and elite freshmen Frank Jackson and Jayson Tatum, Duke has the most talent of any team in the nation next season. They'll be loaded with talent and depth at every position except for point guard, where Jackson will be given every chance to start after Derryck Thornton's decision to transfer earlier this spring.

PG: Frank Jackson
SG: Grayson Allen, Luke Kennard
SF: Jayson Tatum, Matt Jones
PF: Harry Giles, Chase Jeter
C: Amile Jefferson, Marques Bolden

Kentucky will still be one of the few programs capable of challenging Duke nationally even if the loss of Bolden will sting. The Wildcats will add five Top 25 freshmen to a roster that will definitely include forward Derek Willis and could also feature guard Isaiah Briscoe and forward Marcus Lee if both opt to return to school instead of staying in the draft.

But potent as that Kentucky roster is, Duke's appears to be better on paper.

The Blue Devils were already college basketball's 2016-17 title favorites before landing Bolden. Now they're just a little bit stronger.

Reactions: Senore2006
We haven't had a thread like this in a minute.Should be fun.

Cal looks to have painted himself into a corner,a catch 22 of sorts.The success of what he's done measured in different ways by their fanbase.Some fans are thrilled with the constant turnover of talent and Draft night(and this would include Cal),others happy with the constant runs deep into the tourney.However,there are some that grow tired of what's supposed to be a best talent=championship along with it.

It appears that turning the most talented group of Freshman into a championship team(and that is the goal of most) is daunting,considering that these Freshman coming in expect to play right away because Draft night is on the horizon.It's a catch 22.

Smart guy. He may well have picked UK if not for that fanbase. UK has more than their fair share of basketball idiots. They don't understand the difference between recruiting class rankings and the best college basketball teams. The #1 recruiting class does not equate with being the #1 team - not even close. In fact, if all you have are a bunch of freshmen to rely on, then any claim that you will be one of the top teams competing for a championship is delusional and a joke.

Duke doesn't have to rely heavily on freshmen, hence they are a real threat to win it all. UK? - not so much. Poor UK. Now Duke even owns them in recruiting too. Cal and UK are now clearly Coach K's and Duke's b*tch.[/QUOTE]

Clearly
Why he committed:
"I wanted to play for the best, and Duke gives me the best opportunity to develop and reach my goal, which is to play in the NBA. Also on my official visit the the players seem very close, and I could see the trust between the players and the coaching staff."

Bam
Monk
Fox
Gabriel
Jones

That class might be good ,might not be none have ever stepped onto a college basketball court.

Why he committed: "I wanted to play for the best, and Duke gives me the best opportunity to develop and reach my goal, which is to play in the NBA. Also on my official visit the the players seem very close, and I could see the trust between the players and the coaching staff."

Why he committed: "I wanted to play for the best, and Duke gives me the best opportunity to develop and reach my goal, which is to play in the NBA. Also on my official visit the the players seem very close, and I could see the trust between the players and the coaching staff."
I wouldn't trust that slimy used car salesman either. Great choice by Bolden.

Link to all the Dukies who are currently playing and starring in the NBA? Bolden can say what he wants, and I'll be the first to admit that K is a substantially better college coach than Cal with mountains more success than Cal has, but Duke hardly puts a bunch of guys in the NBA who stick around and star. UK will have multiple alum in the NBA all star game for the the forseeable future. You can't say close to the same for Duke. Congrats to them though, They will be a load next year.

You don't get it. No. 1 recruiting class means nothing. It's irrelevant for UK because they all leave your program before they develop into really good players. So your program never builds, it just constantly churns and turns over. Your program is constantly running in place.

Now if UK could stack that talent, meaning you had significant holdovers from year to year, then yes your #1 recruiting classes may mean something. But as it is, all it means is you get to take the pretty girl to the prom while someone else gets to kiss her.
This has to be the best post I've ever read on the subject of UK's top rated classes. Factual and funny at the same time. Brilliant!

Why even care about what these two teams get recruiting wise both have an over abundance of NBA level talent. I rather focus on why we can't get this type of talent?And be thought of by the super elite as these teams are. Hell just pisses me off more that we have to try and win the ACC against this sick team. And let alone try and get a win against you know who!

Link to all the Dukies who are currently playing and starring in the NBA? Bolden can say what he wants, and I'll be the first to admit that K is a substantially better college coach than Cal with mountains more success than Cal has, but Duke hardly puts a bunch of guys in the NBA who stick around and star. UK will have multiple alum in the NBA all star game for the the forseeable future. You can't say close to the same for Duke. Congrats to them though, They will be a load next year.
Honestly, who cares about how many guys your school puts in the NBA? I'm a college fan once they are done there I don't follow them anymore. If I did I would hang out on some NBA message board.

Why even care about what these two teams get recruiting wise both have an over abundance of NBA level talent. I rather focus on why we can't get this type of talent?And be thought of by the super elite as these teams are. Hell just pisses me off more that we have to try and win the ACC against this sick team. And let alone try and get a win against you know who!
Post of the year.

Honestly, who cares about how many guys your school puts in the NBA? I'm a college fan once they are done there I don't follow them anymore. If I did I would hang out on some NBA message board.
Well when part of the discussion is about Bolden's comments about playing in the NBA you could easily see why he posted those facts. One poster above made it seem like duke has more top end players in the league than UK, which can't be further from the truth, and he simply responded to those comments.

Reactions: KyFord
Which totally explains the players that have transferred out of that program huh?

I rather focus on why we can't get this type of talent?
Depends on your definition of talent. I think the UofL roster is loaded with talent and the proof of that will be found on the floor. Not in some hyped up HS ranking.

Post of the year.
What you both don't seem to realize is that the Cards win without that NBA talent from top to bottom.He longs for the excitement of seeing Mickey D's running in and out of here like at UK and Duke.It's a minority opinion.For some,winning with 3-4 year guys is not enough.

If you had the chance to have Wall, Cousins or any of the 5 star players Cal has brought in you would take them in a second. So would Pitino, who is recruiting the same players. He's just not getting them.
You're wrong.Pitino goes after talented 5 stars,agree.He doesn't try to fill the roster with them.That's what you guys don't understand and there is a difference.I doubt he went after Wall or Cousins though.

Can you point me to the part of my post where I said I cared about how many guys UK puts in the NBA? I've looked several times and don't see it. I was simply making a comment rebutting Bolden's statement that Duke offers the best chance to get drafted and play in the NBA - there is plenty of empirical evidence to the contrary.

Who transferred out so he could be a featured player at a lesser school. Thornton left in anger.
Says who and why does it matter? He still transferred no matter the reason. I swear all you UofK fans are all the same. You all want to slap the best shade of lipstick on a pig and call it beautiful if it has anything to do with UofK, and then swear it's an ugly ass pig when the same thing applies for any other program. Then you all wonder why people despise UofK fans so much. o_O

Says who and why does it matter? He still transferred no matter the reason. I swear all you UofK fans are all the same. You all want to slap the best shade of lipstick on a pig and call it beautiful if it has anything to do with UofK, and then swear it's an ugly ass pig when the same thing applies for any other program. Then you all wonder why people despise UofK fans so much. o_O

Wow! I have never seen or heard anybody describe them so simply and yet so accurately. That statement was almost a thing of beauty, even without lipstick.

Kyrie Irving is about to play in the NBA finals. But honestly where you attend college has very little to determine your NBA career. Skal numbers this past season were 6 points 3 rebounds. Marcus Lee was 6 points 6 rebounds. 1 is a lottery pick the other want get drafted. Each played at UK with similar minutes. Mangok averaged 7 points and 5 rebounds. Basically for 99% of the players the NBA already have an idea of what they think about you. Skal could have set out this year and probably been a top 3 pick.

Reactions: JohnKBA
Kyrie Irving is about to play in the NBA finals. But honestly where you attend college has very little to determine your NBA career. Skal numbers this past season were 6 points 3 rebounds. Marcus Lee was 6 points 6 rebounds. 1 is a lottery pick the other want get drafted. Each played at UK with similar minutes. Mangok averaged 7 points and 5 rebounds. Basically for 99% of the players the NBA already have an idea of what they think about you. Skal could have set out this year and probably been a top 3 pick.

Oh I agree - which is why I think Bolden saying that a particular school offers him the best chance to get drafted and play in the NBA is inaccurate. More than anything, it is up to him. He's hardly a lock NBA talent like Okafor or Towns or Ingram or Murray. Many guys ranked in the 15-20 range in HS rankings never amount to anything.

Oh I agree - which is why I think Bolden saying that a particular school offers him the best chance to get drafted and play in the NBA is inaccurate. More than anything, it is up to him. He's hardly a lock NBA talent like Okafor or Towns or Ingram or Murray. Many guys ranked in the 15-20 range in HS rankings never amount to anything.
And there goes the spin machine again. If he picked UK, you guys would be saying that he is underrated and will be a lottery pick.

And there goes the spin machine again. If he picked UK, you guys would be saying that he is underrated and will be a lottery pick.

I can't speak for other fans. I'm a realist. Bolden is not a lock NBA talent no matter where he plays. Frankly I'd rather all the guys that come to UK be "underrated" so they would stick around a little longer. To me, Bolden is in a similar spot as Dakari Johnson was in. Excellent vs high school opponents strictly based on size, but needs a lot of work. Would have been great to have him for sure. You can't teach height.

johnKBA apparently you don't read the crappola on your own boards OR listen to the liar (m.jones) on the radio. Bolden was a #1 pick already according to those idiots.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: Deeva
What you both don't seem to realize is that the Cards win without that NBA talent from top to bottom.He longs for the excitement of seeing Mickey D's running in and out of here like at UK and Duke.It's a minority opinion.For some,winning with 3-4 year guys is not enough.
We don't need a revolving door however their is no reason this program cannot have at least one NBA level one and done every class.For a coach of Rick's standing and the program itself we should be having the exact same level talent. I'm sorry as u said it's one s own opinion but i rather go into a fight with a known Rssian Ak rather than a China made one.

Now that Coach K is recruiting those kinds of players, it makes no sense to pick Kentucky over Duke. Duke gets more exposure, and they'll get to play a tougher schedule and in a better conference, to help prepare for the NBA. You also get instruction from the guy who coached NBA egos in the Olympics. Really it's a no-brainer when it comes down to those two schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT