ADVERTISEMENT

Major controversy brewing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOL, no Whoops about it. I was right. I said that Dan Cathy was the one who gave the money to anti-LGBQT groups, not everybody in the organization. Do they deny gay people food or jobs? No. Do all their employees give money to these groups? No. The CEO did and thats his belief. I know people who worked there who do not share the same views as Cathy. I know people who are LGBTQ and still eat there because they like the food and the service and know that its the CEO who is anti-LGBTQ, not necessarily all the workers in the restaurant.

Reactions: CardX
Supporting traditional marriage is not a threat to same sex marriage, supporting same sex marriage is not a threat to traditional marriage. When a gay couple goes into a Christian bakery and ask them to bake a cake with a gay message on it knowing the bakery will refuse. Then the gay couple files a lawsuit against the bakery who’s at threat then.
Pretty sure it's just called "marriage" in either case. As a business owner myself, I certainly reserve the right not to do business with any business or person that I choose not to - provided my reasoning for refusing the business is not discriminatory. I believe that you are referring to the Colorado bakery case, and the SCOTUS upheld that business owner's right to refuse on religious grounds. I have no reason to doubt that guy's sincerity regarding his religious beliefs however at some point society will determine that having religious beliefs is not a satisfactory reason for discriminating against people. That day is coming sooner rather than later.

Reactions: vivid_red
Well I hope you’re referencing all religions including Islam. This is a religion that is embraced by the Democrat party who thinks gays should be killed and women are 2nd class citizens.

LOL, no Whoops about it. I was right. I said that Dan Cathy was the one who gave the money to anti-LGBQT groups, not everybody in the organization. Do they deny gay people food or jobs? No. Do all their employees give money to these groups? No. The CEO did and thats his belief. I know people who worked there who do not share the same views as Cathy. I know people who are LGBTQ and still eat there because they like the food and the service and know that its the CEO who is anti-LGBTQ, not necessarily all the workers in the restaurant.
Actually - you weren't right. As posted previously, the S. Truett Cathy (the founder of CFa) created a foundation that gave money to organizations that are openly hostile to marriage and the LGBTQ community, including organizations that are listed as "anti-gay hate groups" by the Southern Poverty Law Center. So there was more to it than just COO Dan Cathy publicizing his beliefs. I don't think that anyone - including those that protested - was trying to suggest that the entirety of CFa are anti-LGBTQ or, that there was some sort of rampant or coordinated effort to discriminate against people at the restaurants but I think to suggest that it's not possible that others within the organization - be they corporate, franchisees or workers - don't share the same regressive philosophy that were espoused by Dan Cathy, is probably incorrect.

Reactions: Louisvillian
When has traditional marriage been under threat? I missed the laws that said a man and woman cant legally marry.
Actually it’s under threat right now given rates of divorce, co-habitation, and illegitimacy. But not under LEGAL threat at this time.

I don’t know if I would use the Southern Poverty Law Center to help make your point. They aggressively go after groups, organizations and individuals based on their religious or patriotic beliefs.

Actually - you weren't right. As posted previously, the S. Truett Cathy (the founder of CFa) created a foundation that gave money to organizations that are openly hostile to marriage and the LGBTQ community, including organizations that are listed as "anti-gay hate groups" by the Southern Poverty Law Center. So there was more to it than just COO Dan Cathy publicizing his beliefs. I don't think that anyone - including those that protested - was trying to suggest that the entirety of CFa are anti-LGBTQ or, that there was some sort of rampant or coordinated effort to discriminate against people at the restaurants but I think to suggest that it's not possible that others within the organization - be they corporate, franchisees or workers - don't share the same regressive philosophy that were espoused by Dan Cathy, is probably incorrect.
The SPLC, once a noble organization, designates “hate” as anything or anyone who holds or espouses non-leftist ideas. Don’t be so quick to assume that just because somebody is on one of these lists makes them what the list maker says that are.

Well I hope you’re referencing all religions including Islam. This is a religion that is embraced by the Democrat party who thinks gays should be killed and women are 2nd class citizens.
In the event that you are responding to my post, yes - I am referencing all religions when it comes to not allowing people to hide behind doctrine to discriminate against others. Regarding your comment about Islam, unfortunately there are too many religions - including Christianity as practiced by some - that espouse the same doctrine. Hopefully that too will become a thing of the past.

The SPLC, once a noble organization, designates “hate” as anything or anyone who holds or espouses non-leftist ideas. Don’t be so quick to assume that just because somebody is on one of these lists makes them what the list maker says that are.
I'm not. In this specific instance, the Family Research Council's own words and doctrine makes the case with no need for embellishment.

I don’t know if I would use the Southern Poverty Law Center to help make your point. They aggressively go after groups, organizations and individuals based on their religious or patriotic beliefs.
They do sometimes go after groups agressively - I'll agree with that. Here is the list of those groups in KY that they've designated. Which of these do you see as being mis-labeled?

Reactions: fredburgcard
They have gone after people and organizations for placing a cross in the wrong place. You list only a small fraction of the groups they have gone after. They have become less and less credible over the years to a lot of people. They are the Jessie Smollet of business.

They have gone after people and organizations for placing a cross in the wrong place. You list only a small fraction of the groups they have gone after. They have become less and less credible over the years to a lot of people. They are the Jessie Smollet of business.
I'm listing who they list as hate groups in KY. I would be interested to read about the instance where they attacked someone for incorrect cross placement - shoot me the link. As for their credibility - my guess is that as they've become less and less credible to a lot of people, they have become more and more credible with a lot of other people. Things (particularly in this day and age) tend to work out like that.

They have become Iike NPR most of the funding for both comes from the left so they support their views. I have read articles on both NPR and SPLC and there is positive and negative on both. It all depends on your personal views. I travel a lot so I look for different things to listen to on the radio.
Every now and then I will listen to NPR just for the comic relief the stuff they report is so bogus. They are like CNN nobody really watches or listens to them anymore so they have become irrelevant.

You're referencing radical Islam. But, for the sake of argument, Southern Baptists think gays should burn in hell and women should be submissive servants. I fail to see the difference.

They have become Iike NPR most of the funding for both comes from the left so they support their views. I have read articles on both NPR and SPLC and there is positive and negative on both. It all depends on your personal views. I travel a lot so I look for different things to listen to on the radio.
Every now and then I will listen to NPR just for the comic relief the stuff they report is so bogus. They are like CNN nobody really watches or listens to them anymore so they have become irrelevant.

Lol, yes, "our" president attacks CNN daily because of their "irrelevancy."

Reactions: BPGhost
Ah, debate without attacks and with civility. I need to apologize for opening the religion/politics discussion door. The damn "new mod" is in lesson mode.

If we can have this type of discussion...we certainly can agree to disagree about our beloved Cardinals sports.

Reactions: BPGhost and gocds
You can say what you want but the CNN viewership has dropped to an all time low at 26%. I like talking politics I know some people get upset about it but I think the debate is healthy.

Reactions: CardinalJim
You can say what you want but the CNN viewership has dropped to an all time low at 26%. I like talking politics I know some people get upset about it but I think the debate is healthy.
Absolutely - nothing wrong with a healthy debate. Viewership across the board is declining - including at Fox. That's what you get when you combine the over saturation of "news" media, people (particularly young people) getting their news from different mediums with the overall disgust of our elected officials and government in general.

Reactions: CardX

Ok, but you said irrelevant. They’re relevant enough you keep up with their ratings.

I never knew this. I saw your other post where you said near 205 or 206. I am in 226 and never go on that side. That’s why I didn’t know they were. Thanks.
Learn something new everyday.
The Pork Chop sandwich at the Ky Pork Producers stand has been my #1 fav sandwich at Cardinal stadium for the last 10 years...you got some serious catching up to do lol

Supporting traditional marriage is not a threat to same sex marriage, supporting same sex marriage is not a threat to traditional marriage. When a gay couple goes into a Christian bakery and ask them to bake a cake with a gay message on it knowing the bakery will refuse. Then the gay couple files a lawsuit against the bakery who’s at threat then.

Supporting gay marriage and supporting traditional marriage mean two very different things. Supporting traditional marriage generally means trying to curb someone else's right to marry just like everyone else. When did supporting gay marriage mean that you were trying to ban straight people from getting married?

I'm sorry, I'm not going to feel bad for a baker who was so homophobic that they couldn't write 2 same sex people's name on a cake? If the cake was something explicit or offensive that is different. Either way he won his right to refuse service anyhow. I kind of worry about the slippery slope that causes though because how before refusing service to gay people become refusing service to muslims or minorities?

Do democrats support islam past not all islamic people are terrorists who don't belong in this country? Our last democratic president killed a lot of muslim people in drone strikes etc..

I hate to say this but Muslims and most African Americans would not like you comparing their situation with the same situation as the gay community. Like myself they think the gay lifestyle is a choice not a civil rights issue.

I never knew this. I saw your other post where you said near 205 or 206. I am in 226 and never go on that side. That’s why I didn’t know they were. Thanks.
Learn something new everyday.

I do believe we need to protest to the Pork Producers that we need the same service on our side of CS. That’s a long walk to the other corner.

I hate to say this but Muslims and most African Americans would not like you comparing their situation with the same situation as the gay community. Like myself they think the gay lifestyle is a choice not a civil rights issue.
Umm, how is being Muslim, or Christian or any other religion for that matter, not a choice? And while we’re talking about choosing, how old were you when you chose to be heterosexual?

Reactions: gocards1987

I am african american 1st of all, and our race tends to be more homophobic than the average population fwiw. As another poster said, if being gay is a choice so is being any religon. People choose to not be religious every day.

Being gay isn't really a choice. I'm straight, I don't think that one day I could go decide to marry a guy as I'm not attracted to men. You can choose to hide being gay but that really isn't the same thing. Maybe your sexuality is more fluid though.

In regards to Muslims since they think that gay people should be executed I don’t think they would like being lumped in with the gays. I think the gay lifestyle is by choice not by birth like skin color. My sexuality is not fluid at all I am a proud heterosexual man.

So, just to be clear, you speak for Muslims, African Americans, and believe homosexuality is a choice?

Just to be clear I don’t speak for anyone except for myself. However I do read and most African Americans don’t think being gay is a civil rights issue. Islam teaches that the gay lifestyle is a sin and punishable by death. Christians believe that the gay lifestyle is a sin but they don’t think they should be executed for it. Yes, I do think the gay lifestyle is by choice.

Just to be clear I don’t speak for anyone except for myself. However I do read and most African Americans don’t think being gay is a civil rights issue. Islam teaches that the gay lifestyle is a sin and punishable by death. Christians believe that the gay lifestyle is a sin but they don’t think they should be executed for it. Yes, I do think the gay lifestyle is by choice.

Is being straight a choice? And, please excuse me if I don’t consider you an expert on Muslim and African American culture.

Pretty sure it's just called "marriage" in either case. As a business owner myself, I certainly reserve the right not to do business with any business or person that I choose not to - provided my reasoning for refusing the business is not discriminatory. I believe that you are referring to the Colorado bakery case, and the SCOTUS upheld that business owner's right to refuse on religious grounds. I have no reason to doubt that guy's sincerity regarding his religious beliefs however at some point society will determine that having religious beliefs is not a satisfactory reason for discriminating against people. That day is coming sooner rather than later.
Amen brother, lot's of useless hate in this "great" country of ours

I got mine PH so I will no longer discuss this topic.

This is the last I’ll say about it, then I’ll move on. You claim Muslims murder gays. And, I’ve seen the videos of ISIS (radical Islamists) throw gay Arabs from rooftops. If these men knew death was a possibility, do you actually think they’d choose to be gay?

Is being homosexual 100% determined at birth in every case? I’ve got to admit the possibility is no. I mean, there are addicts who perform sex acts for drugs. There are heterosexual married men, who, over time, realize they are gay. But, I also recall Johnny Weir on the Howard Stern Show many years ago. Weir, if you don’t know, is a former figure skater turned tv personality. He’s known for his flamboyancy. Howard asked him what he thought about people believing homosexuality is a choice. Weir’s response: “who would choose this?”

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT