ADVERTISEMENT

Major controversy brewing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Chic Fil A is apparently coming to Cardinal Stadium. Local chicken aficionado's are not pleased. Corporate political philosophy aside, I don't mind Chic Fil A. In fact, put a little mustard on that pickle speckled boneless chicken sandwich and watch me go to work, especially after 2-3 Cardinal Stadium crack beers.

Chic Fil A is apparently coming to Cardinal Stadium. Local chicken aficionado's are not pleased. Corporate political philosophy aside, I don't mind Chic Fil A. In fact, put a little mustard on that pickle speckled boneless chicken sandwich and watch me go to work, especially after 2-3 Cardinal Stadium crack beers.
I'm not following...why is that controversial? Isn't Chik-Fil-A a pretty popular fast food chicken joint? Unless we schedule a game on a Sunday (they're closed), I don't see it as being an issue.

I'm not following...why is that controversial? Isn't Chik-Fil-A a pretty popular fast food chicken joint? Unless we schedule a game on a Sunday (they're closed), I don't see it as being an issue.

It's a joke. People either hate Chic Fil A or love it. Everyone, locally, it seems, rages on about who has the better chicken.

It's a joke. People either hate Chic Fil A or love it. Everyone, locally, it seems, rages on about who has the better chicken.
Ahhh...yeah, I didn't participate in the great BBQ debate of 2019. I DO love those waffle fries tho.

Reactions: nccardfan
I hear that it's good. I might try it. If some idiot wants to be offended, that's their problem -- they can elect not to eat it. Heck, I'm still waiting for Papa John to deliver a pizza to me in my seat.

Pretty pathetic to try to take down a good company because they are closed on Sundays and have strong Christian views. Some crazies are doing their best in some major cities. I don't think Louisville folks are big protesters or protect the chicken people.

Where in this thread was anyone trying to "take down" a "good company?"

Where in this thread was anyone trying to "take down" a "good company?"

Not in this thread CardX. I guess you've not seen the controversy on social media & news markets in some large cities in US.

Pretty pathetic to try to take down a good company because they are closed on Sundays and have strong Christian views. Some crazies are doing their best in some major cities. I don't think Louisville folks are big protesters or protect the chicken people.
Those "crazies" were voicing their opposition to a series of public statements by Chic-Fil-a's COO against same sex marriage - including after the SCOTUS struck down large parts of the DOMA in 2016. Couple that with corporate donations to groups that are hostile to LBGTQ rights and you have the rationale for supporters of those people's rights to express their constitutional and marketplace rights, to be critical of Chic-Fil-a.

In the end, it didn't hurt Chic-Fil-a much, as the "crazies" on the other side of the issue came out in support - as is their right.

Reactions: Louisvillian
BP, I agree on crazies on both sides. But many lessons have been learned about social media, news organizations and the adding fuel to the fire. It's to the point where most folks don't even know what they are ticked off about anymore. Kinda like Louisville fans. We've been hammered with crap for so long now, we don't know who to believe or who to trust with our support. It's Us against Them. The Grissom news this week just added more fuel to the fire. It sucks!

Reactions: gocds

Chic-fil-a was telling people that their entire way of life was wrong and they are going to hell because of it. I can understand how some people might be a little upset about that and choose not to support chic-fil-a. Chic-fil-a won't support them.

Chic-fil-a was telling people that their entire way of life was wrong and they are going to hell because of it. I can understand how some people might be a little upset about that and choose not to support chic-fil-a. Chic-fil-a won't support them.
I didn't know that. Can you provide a link please?

Here's hoping Cardinal Stadium becomes more than pizza, hot dogs and nachos. But I don't like Chic-fil either.

While we're talking stadium food, if you haven't hit up the Tumbleweed concession booth, you need to try the smothered hotdog in chili and cheese. It's messy as hell, but good AF.

Reactions: PHCARD
I have no probs with CFA. If people don’t want to buy it, then don’t buy it. Walk on down to the next option. I personally don’t buy ANYTHING from Papa Johns. I just walk down to the next stand and get nachos, burger, or a hot dog. To each his/her own.

Reactions: gocds and nccardfan
I think our fish sandwich restaurants should come together and offer the Mother of all Cod sandwiches booth. Put a PassTime's, Cunninghams, Check's, Mike Linigs booth in there and the line will reach outside of the stadium gates! Yes, bring the rye too!

Don’t know why people make decisions on who they’re going to do business with based on politics. Liberals won’t eat at CFA and conservatives won’t eat at Chipotle. My painter Roger loves Trump. I can’t stand the man. But Roger does a great job at a fair price. Why would I not do business with him?

Reactions: gocds
Don’t know why people make decisions on who they’re going to do business with based on politics. Liberals won’t eat at CFA and conservatives won’t eat at Chipotle. My painter Roger loves Trump. I can’t stand the man. But Roger does a great job at a fair price. Why would I not do business with him?

Because Roger isn’t likely bank rolling his re-election campaign with huge donations.

Reactions: BPGhost and PHCARD
It's to the point where most folks don't even know what they are ticked off about anymore. !

That is about as true a statement as I've seen in a while. I've completely lost track of where I'm not supposed to eat, what artists I shouldn't support, etc. Maybe they'll develop an app for that someday. ;)

It’s a good chicken sandwich but my God (oops) I’ll never understand people lining up 20 cars deep in the drive thru for it.
We have at least 7 fast food places at the exit where I work and Chick-Fill-a outdoes every one of them at lunch. You can get through a 20 car line quicker than a 10 car line anywhere else, at least at this location. They have a double line with 2-4 people outside taking orders and another handling the purchase. You barely have to stop at the pickup window. Good product plus excellent service.

Roger ought to get in touch with the many hundreds of hard working contractors that his hero has stiffed and put many out of business just because he could.

I agree with your sentiment though. I’m a contractor who has many customers who like the orange blob whiny manbaby. As long as they pay on time and I don’t have to hear about the POS, it’s all good.

I didn't know that. Can you provide a link please?

Cant because it didnt happen, lol. The CEO of Chik-Fil-A [Dan Cathy]sp? gave money to organizations that are against same sex marriage. So many people took that to mean that the entire organization is anti-LGBTQ. Hyperbole in full effect.

Cant because it didnt happen, lol. The CEO of Chik-Fil-A [Dan Cathy]sp? gave money to organizations that are against same sex marriage. So many people took that to mean that the entire organization is anti-LGBTQ. Hyperbole in full effect.

The WinShape Foundation, a charitable endeavor of Chick-fil-A founder S. Truett Cathy and his family, stated that it would not allow same-sex couples to participate in its marriage retreats. Chick-fil-A gave over $8 million to the WinShape Foundation in 2010. Equality Matters, an LGBT watchdog group, published reports of donations by WinShape to organizations that the watchdog group considers anti-gay, including $2 million in 2009, $1.9 million in 2010 and a total of $5 million since 2003, including grants to the Family Research Council and Georgia Family Council. WinShape contributed grants to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and Exodus International, an organization noted for supporting ex-gay conversion therapy. The Marriage and Family Foundation received $994,199 in 2009 and $1,188,380 in 2010. The Family Research Council, an organization listed as an anti-gay hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center in Winter 2010,received $1000.

On June 16, 2012, while on the syndicated radio talk show, The Ken Coleman Show, Chick-fil-A president and chief operating officer (COO) Dan Cathy stated:
"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, "We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage". I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."

On July 2, 2012 Biblical Recorder published an interview with Dan Cathy, who was asked about opposition to his company's "support of the traditional family." He replied: "Well, guilty as charged. "We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that. ... We want to do anything we possibly can to strengthen families. We are very much committed to that," Cathy emphasized. "We intend to stay the course," he said. "We know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."

The day after the Supreme Court of the United States struck down Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act, Cathy tweeted, "Sad day for our nation; founding fathers would be ashamed of our gen. to abandon wisdom of the ages re: cornerstone of strong societies."

So maybe a little more than just hyperbole. While I'm sure that the values expressed and actions taken, don't reflect the entire organization - or its franchisees - when the COO and the still involved founding family, express controversial views - you can expect reaction. I would imagine a similar reaction by the right had Cathy voiced his support publicly (and financially) for Planned Parenthood.

I'll eat Chik-Fil-A everyday and twice on gamedays.
images

They never said that. They didn’t extend health coverage to the spouses of homosexual employees. They are, in their view, choosing to follow their beliefs. They have a right to do this. They may suffer the loss of good employees or potential employees, but that is a price they have been will to pay.

They never said that. They didn’t extend health coverage to the spouses of homosexual employees. They are, in their view, choosing to follow their beliefs. They have a right to do this. They may suffer the loss of good employees or potential employees, but that is a price they have been will to pay.

They did say this. Their talk of support the "traditional" family says this. The groups that they give money to say this. They have a right to give follow their beliefs but others have a right to criticize them for their beliefs. When you are arguing that someone's entire life is basically invalid, you'd should expect those people to disagree and criticize you.

No matter how good Chic-fil-a service is, I doubt it matters to a lot of gay people when chic-fil-a's owners would probably refuse to serve them if they could. Right wingers boycotted businesses that supported gay rights before in their crusade to dictate what happens in other consenting adult's bedrooms (something I'll never understand) before and it was their right to do so.

Whoops.

Do gay groups support traditional marriage and donate money to organizations that support traditional marriage. If they don’t then they are just as guilty as Chick-fil-a for not supporting same sex marriage. I remember when they tried to boycott CFA the lines to their restaurants were so long they had to have police directing traffic outside their restaurants.

Do gay groups support traditional marriage and donate money to organizations that support traditional marriage. If they don’t then they are just as guilty as Chick-fil-a for not supporting same sex marriage. I remember when they tried to boycott CFA the lines to their restaurants were so long they had to have police directing traffic outside their restaurants.

When has traditional marriage been under threat? I missed the laws that said a man and woman cant legally marry.

Supporting traditional marriage is not a threat to same sex marriage, supporting same sex marriage is not a threat to traditional marriage. When a gay couple goes into a Christian bakery and ask them to bake a cake with a gay message on it knowing the bakery will refuse. Then the gay couple files a lawsuit against the bakery who’s at threat then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT