ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville vs Pittsburgh

KozmasAgain

6000+
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2016
A win today and we keep pace with the top teams in the current standings. With the ACC being so tough top to bottom every game is big. A lot of upsets so far in the conference with more to come. In order to have a chance you have to win all home games and like HVL said we are 11-5 we don’t have the right to overlook any opponent.

Not a good look right now with HVL struggling from the field and nobody else picking up the slack we could be the next upset. If I was CJW I would go with 2 bigs right now.

The Cards obviously took Pitt for granted the way they played that 1st quarter. It's really been an unusual season so far for Louisville. I really can't put my finger on it. They return so many players who contribute plus talented newcomers.

Walz has his hands full for sure.

So far it has been get the ball to HVL, get the ball to HVL and get the ball to HVL. It is not working. They need to move the ball faster and take open shots!

Reactions: rh62531
I've seen several Cards shoot and miss besides HVL. Its the turnovers that are killing them and their defensive intensity is lacking.

Like usual, Carr doesn't get enough shots but overall this game is all due to lack of focus going in.

Pitt up by 6 at half but we played better to end the half. We are struggling this game and I think we overlooked Pitt. In this league you can’t overlook anyone every team has talent you can’t look at the record.

Never said other players are not also missing shots. Also never said anything about HVL missing shots. Please don’t read into posts. I have said it before - it comes down to passing. Good passing, quick ball movement creates open shots. There have been flashes today and then, plop, the shot doesn’t to down. 25% FG shooting is terrible. Yet, they are only 6 points down. Give me more Olivia in the paint and HVL needs to drive. Good things happen when she drives the lane.

The point I was making about others missing shots is this game hasn't been about getting the ball to HVL. That wasn't the reason for the poor shooting or turnovers.

What a beautiful transition play by Louisville. We went the length of the court and the ball only touched the court once. Kasa to HVL to Harris for the layup.

Reactions: 2330859
With Pitt having to guard the 3 point line I would start attacking inside. I agree that HVL needs to start driving inside and score or draw the foul.

Reactions: Bardman
On a side note that Gatorade commercial with a 300 pound girl doing yoga is awful to watch.

I can't believe Walz still hasn't coached out his players forcing a layup on a fast break. This team doesn't finish well at the basket in the first place, yet they continue to force a layup that almost always leads to a open shot for the other team.

This should be cleaned up by now.

Pitt looks like a top 20 team. Louisville's lack of focus when the game started gave the Panthers confidence.

Pitt got lazy on defense and Carr took advantage of it from the 3 point and Louisville pulls away for a 76-68 win. We played lousy the 1st half but played a lot better the 2nd half.

Reactions: Guardman
The defensive effort in the last minute was the difference in this game, as it not only resulted in steals, it disrupted Pitt’s half court offense to the point that prohibited them from getting a single good look. Some may be critical of Pitt’s composure, but I saw a level of defensive intensity that wins games. Our ladies turned a 3 point deficit into a 7 point win all in the last 90 seconds or so.

I am a huge fan of Konno, and understand that her illness explains her limited minutes at the end of last season, and earlier this season. While we will remember her 3, 3s it was her passing from the top of the key that contributed to several teammates hitting key baskets.

Late in the game someone appeared to chastise Jones under our defensive end of the court, presumably for not boxing out on the defensive boards. Later you could see Carr containing Jones during a timeout. It never escalated, but I think that moment may capture the leadership that Carr is bringing to this team.

Olivia had a huge offensive rebound, and put back late in the game that shows just how valuable she can be inside. Great win in a conference that is really good and well-balanced.

Actually, early on they were pushing the ball to HVL and I think it threw the team off a bit. HVL, later, really got her passing game going (as did all of them). Once that happened more open shots were available. In order for this group to be successful more players have to take, and make, shots. HVL is savvy enough to get open amd or drive. When she gets hot, like when she heated up today, it is a beautiful thing to watch.

Jones had 8 rebounds in 19 minutes ….. do the math and that is pretty incredible. Unfortunately she went 1-8 from the floor, and we need here scoring in order to open up opportunities for the rest of the players.

Jones had 8 rebounds in 19 minutes ….. do the math and that is pretty incredible. Unfortunately she went 1-8 from the floor, and we need here scoring in order to open up opportunities for the rest of the players.
True statement. UofL is missing a scorer. It should be Morgan but she has been inconsistent. What UofL is missing even more is another outside shooter (cough, cough Verhulst leaving stings right now). Maybe Konno can provide that other outside shooting threat they sorely need.

I just watched the replay of the game what was going on with Jones where she had to be restrained by Carr? At the timeout with 2:51 left Carr was restraining her, does anyone know what that was about?

Right before that Carr had gotten on her about a play on the defensive end. What I saw was Jones just standing and watching a shot go up. The Pitt player got the rebound and the put back. Why? Jones did not block out - at all. So, was the sideline issue a continuation? Maybe. Carr seemed fine; Jones was certainly the one who was spun up. It may have been something different though.

I played it back several times looking for something but I didn’t see enough to warrant anything. I hope this is not a chemistry problem that we all thought we had when Verhulst left.

I'm guessing a player said something to her and Carr was holding her back. She came out of the game during that timeout.

She's been struggling finishing around the basket and her mid range shot has been off and this has compromised her confidence. She's getting frustrated because she knows she is being counted on as that next scorer.

I think Walz needs to get Carr more looks. She's as deadly a 3 point shooter as Dana Evans was. Konno's play has been a pleasant surprise as has Russell's.

I still think this team can make another final 4. They just got to find that offensive rhythm and raise that confidence level. Walz has his best front court since he's been here. The experience and ability of Cochran and Dixon with the long range shooting of Williams along with the future star Harris.

And having a player like HVL is a rare commodity in basketball. I compare her to Peyton Siva on the men's side. Siva wasn't a great outside shooter but he was a leader. If he was needed to score, he would. If he needed to rebound, he would. If he needed to set up a hot teammate he would.

HVL is much the same. She's willing to do anything to win. She's the most valuable player for her team on the court, just like Siva was.

It looked like to me she was upset with someone on our team or maybe CJW. My concern is team chemistry and we don’t need someone causing a problem this time of year.

It looked like to me she was upset with someone on our team or maybe CJW. My concern is team chemistry and we don’t need someone causing a problem this time of year.
This the double-edged sword called The Portal. Going to have to use it again next year as well.

it started on the floor after the offensive rebound; Bardman has it right ….. Carr went after Jones underneath the opponent basket. That had nothing to do with CJW, and I do not believe that Verhulst departure has anything to do with chemistry.

I also believe RealVille is correct as well …… Carr is a leader and her response to Jones is exactly what this team needs. Everyone who has watched Jones, including the talking heads doing the TV telecast, are fully aware that Jones is playing nowhere close to her potential, or the high expectations that she brought to UL.

I know Emily was very special, and it would be unfair to expect Jones to replace that high level of performance, but I also believe that most everyone connected with WBB, expected a lot more from Jones, as she has some of that same athleticism that Emily took to the pros.

The best thing is that this looked like a loss from the beginning but the women stayed focused and found a way to win the game in the end. Thats what good teams do. Jeff has said this team is a little behind some of his others but they're working to get there. This type of game will only help. They can't get off to slow starts against better teams. Some players other than HVL need to step up, this time it was Konno. It probably should be Carr, Jones, Harris, but as long as it is someone, we'll continue to get better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT