ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville vs Ga Tech

KozmasAgain

6000+
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2016
I notice Mykasa is not in the starting lineup I hope she is not back on concussion protocol.

8 point lead at half I guess we should be happy because there are a lot of upsets going on right now. The rankings are going to definitely change even though they should gave already done so.

Reactions: 2330859
Refs are taking a day off today because there are a lot of no calls on both ends.

We win 63-55 HVL with 22 points, 4 assists and 4 rebounds. We need other players to start scoring because if we don’t we won’t go far. I like Harris I wish she would get more court time. The conference is really tough this year every team is being challenged a lot of upsets so far and there will be more to come. UNCST had lost 2 in a row at home now losing to Boston College tonight.

Each night I see the same pattern; aside from a very few teams like South Carolina, the parity in women’s college basketball has reached a very high level. The transfer portal is the great equalizer, and the only remedy is coaching and being able to keep the talented kids from leaving. Elizabeth Balogun is a perfect example of a very talented and versatile player that made Duke immediately competitive, and single handily delivered a critical defeat to her old teammates.

The ACC will be interesting to watch as it is incredibly balanced and these “upsets” will become the norm.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Each night I see the same pattern; aside from a very few teams like South Carolina, the parity in women’s college basketball has reached a very high level. The transfer portal is the great equalizer, and the only remedy is coaching and being able to keep the talented kids from leaving. Elizabeth Balogun is a perfect example of a very talented and versatile player that made Duke immediately competitive, and single handily delivered a critical defeat to her old teammates.

The ACC will be interesting to watch as it is incredibly balanced and these “upsets” will become the norm.
Coaches now use some of their skillset to develop players who, after improving, will depart to greener playing time pastures. Not sure coaches will continue prioritizing player development. The game is going to change again right before our eyes.

I suspect coaches will just adopt more of a plug and play approach.

A de-emphasis on development and improvement.

We had one last year. Her name was Emily Englster. We could also say that about Kianna Smith.

Coaches now use some of their skillset to develop players who, after improving, will depart to greener playing time pastures. Not sure coaches will continue prioritizing player development. The game is going to change again right before our eyes.

I suspect coaches will just adopt more of a plug and play approach.

A de-emphasis on development and improvement.
Sadly I believe your correct. Every year wil be a crap shoot. Depending on influx from the portal and then depending on how well the team meshes.

At the risk of expressing further pessimism; the trends in HS and College sports appear well on it’s way towards destroying the values of amateur status and the sports In the process.

Someone on this site defined the transfer portal as “they giveth and they taketh away”. Regrettably, I could see this evolve into a case where some school will decide to buy a National Championship via the NIL route. UConn WBB is one likely candidate as their brand is that important in Storrs.

Texas did it in volleyball and Duke is doing it in women’s basketball. I think before long all schools that can afford it will be doing it.

At the risk of expressing further pessimism; the trends in HS and College sports appear well on it’s way towards destroying the values of amateur status and the sports In the process.

Someone on this site defined the transfer portal as “they giveth and they taketh away”. Regrettably, I could see this evolve into a case where some school will decide to buy a National Championship via the NIL route. UConn WBB is one likely candidate as their brand is that important in Storrs.
Realignment, Massive Media Dollars, NIL, Transfer Portal, Unionization Initiatives, Pay-for-Play, Gambling, No One in Charge: Just some of the factors leading College Sports into destruction.

If teams find success in creating One Year Wonders with money, they'll keep doing it.

Professional leagues all eventually use tactics to limit the degree to which money provides on-field, on-floor success. Basically different versions of salary caps. And player allocation.

My hope is some how a separate college organization rises up that returns to 100% amateur status. The NCAA went to sleep; they were way to large and failed to honor their initial charter and intent.

If the NCAA would have established strict guidelines around the scholarship agreements, ones that held the student athlete responsible to fulfill their respective covenants of 4 years of academic eligibility, and held to the requirements that prohibited transferring, and further established financial penalties for leaving before their 4 year commitment …….. this would have never evolved into the pre-NBA training program. Businesses have Employment Agreements that function most effectively at having equitable terms for both sides with enforcement.

I was a season ticket holder when Wes Unseld arrived at UL and we averaged over 10K attendance in Freedom Hall. I saw kids like Lew Alcinder (Jabar) playing for years before graduating from UCLA …… it was a better time than what we have now. Those kids stayed in college, got their degrees and still had adequate time for a rich NBA career.

Sadly, college athletics as we once knew it is forever gone. It’s just a matter of time before it’s a complete mess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT