ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville stop rate defense ranked 92nd

nccardfan

Four-Star Poster
Sep 5, 2007
lawrenceburg, KY
What is stop rate? It's a basic measurement of success: the percentage of a defense's drives that end in punts, turnovers or a turnover on downs.

WKU - 38th
UK - 41st
Cincinnati - 50th
Louisville - 92nd

Obviously doesn't tell the whole story because it doesn't consider strength of your opponent, but it is a telling stat.... and not a good one.

What is stop rate? It's a basic measurement of success: the percentage of a defense's drives that end in punts, turnovers or a turnover on downs.

WKU - 38th
UK - 41st
Cincinnati - 50th
Louisville - 92nd

Obviously doesn't tell the whole story because it doesn't consider strength of your opponent, but it is a telling stat.... and not a good one.
So I’ll add our SOS for reference 22, has Louisville ever played a tougher schedule? I think not.

Looks like Petrino 2.0 type of defenses. There have been more drives of 75 plus yards than I can remember.

You can pile up meaningless stats in the middle of the field. The red zone is where games are won and lost…

Our red zone defense is 86th in the country.

Our offense is 88th.

Yikes! It’s a pretty lethal combination allowing teams to execute in the red zone and not being able to perform yourself.

Maybe I’m glad to be sitting at 5-3…

We are 98th in turnover margin. We simply do not create turnovers on defense. We are one of the worst schools in country for turnovers gained. And are mid-pack for turnovers lost. Not a great recipe.

We are 98th in turnover margin. We simply do not create turnovers on defense. We are one of the worst schools in country for turnovers gained. And are mid-pack for turnovers lost. Not a great recipe.
Agreed, but where do turnovers come from... usually getting pressure on the opposing team's QB. Rushing 3 and dropping 8 ain't the answer against a running or even somewhat mobile QB.

Agreed, but where do turnovers come from... usually getting pressure on the opposing team's QB. Rushing 3 and dropping 8 ain't the answer against a running or even somewhat mobile QB.
Typically we rush four. It just hasn’t been effective. We did a cover 0 against BC and got burned for a 50 yard touchdown. We simply haven’t been good enough on defense. Oftentimes when we bring a linebacker those are the times we lose the QB and allow a long scramble.

Top defenses get pressure off 4 rushing linemen. And top defense have linebackers and safeties that can cover one on one. So far we have not shown any of that. I do think our corners have played ok.

Yes, the stats confirm the Cards' Defense is awful. However, the Cards have gone up against some pretty good Offensive teams. Still, brutally awful Defense.

The defense is pretty good if you take away the explosive plays where guys blow a coverage. In every defense players have an assignment. On the 4th down call someone was assigned to that tight end. Whoever screwed that up either was confused or ignored their coaches.

When players are consistently lost or not is the right spot that is coaching. Good defenses rarely blow coverages. Louisville is constantly blowing coverages or assignments. It is OK to get beat by better players but what can’t happen is to leave betters players wide open because a player was confused or didn’t follow their assignment.

Scoring defense and offense is what I look at because that is all the really matters.

The defense is pretty good if you take away the explosive plays where guys blow a coverage. In every defense players have an assignment. On the 4th down call someone was assigned to that tight end. Whoever screwed that up either was confused or ignored their coaches.

When players are consistently lost or not is the right spot that is coaching. Good defenses rarely blow coverages. Louisville is constantly blowing coverages or assignments. It is OK to get beat by better players but what can’t happen is to leave betters players wide open because a player was confused or didn’t follow their assignment.

Scoring defense and offense is what I look at because that is all the really matters.
Both busted plays in the BC game are basic alignment breakdowns. Cornerback shouldve had coverage on the TE and outside backer on Ward! My 6th grade team understands that concept! Embarrassing!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT