ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville: 45 Samford: 3. Final Score

Are you kidding me about the fact that Bolin doesn't need confidence? Did you watch the end of the Clemson game? He failed to execute several things in a game that was winnable or at least headed to OT. No, Bobby decided that he didn't deserve another chance, goes with Jackson and then if Jackson struggles against NC State, he'll bring Bolin back to save the day. In the meantime, none of our QB's get any real experience that helps later on. Still saw some miscues by Jackson but was overcome by a weaker opponent....

Yes, I've been to every game so far this year, start to finish. Bolin was driving at the end of the game. He Looked as good to me as He could without offensive line protection. It was a missed field goal that killed it for us against Clemson.

I'm ok with Lamar Jackson starting as our QB. The kid is super fast, and makes plays on his feet. He needs all the experience that he can get for the future. When there is no holes open and the pocket crashes from the offensive line being too weak, He creates them.

I'm also ok with Reggie Bonnafon as our 3rd down QB. He looked good as a tailback too.

I'm Ok with any QB that We start. They are all good in my eyes.

It's the Offensive Line run blocking and pass blocking that isn't so good.

Last edited:
Reactions: beasleythecard
They're all good? Seriously?

Yes they are.

Bolin helped us beat Kentucky when injuries plagued us last Season.

Bonnafon helped us Beat Notre Dame Last Season.

Jackson continues to impress on his feet, and brought us back in the Auburn game.

They don't have DeVante Parker or Eli Rogers to throw to this season, to leap for catches.

Let's See, We just got James Quick back into the offense yesterday, after being injured since game One. Really helped us when receivers were dropping passes last few games.

Who would be your Choice of QB with our inexperienced Line?

Teddy Bridgewater? He made our line look great.

Last edited:
We beat Notre Dame in spite if Bonnafon. Not because of h. He is not a good quarterback. So they aren't "all good."

We beat Notre Dame in spite if Bonnafon. Not because of h. He is not a good quarterback. So they aren't "all good."
You just disqualified yourself with that comment Debbie Downer. Go back and watch the game.

I for one am glad to see Reggie lining up at RB and WR instead of QB but to say that he didn't have a big part in the victory at ND last year is just ignorant.

You know he was 8-21 for 100 yds. His QBR was atrocious. And to the person saying we would've lost "10-28" ( you DQ yourself ad knowing.much about sports by saying a score like that) do you really think Bonnafon was the reason we win and no other QB could've possibly done the amazing things he did that game. Said he isn't a major college QB from Day 1. And I've been right from Day 1

You know he was 8-21 for 100 yds. His QBR was atrocious. And to the person saying we would've lost "10-28" ( you DQ yourself ad knowing.much about sports by saying a score like that) do you really think Bonnafon was the reason we win and no other QB could've possibly done the amazing things he did that game. Said he isn't a major college QB from Day 1. And I've been right from Day 1
First of all you need to get your facts straight before you criticize. Reggie was 8-21 for 180 yards and a TD not 8-21 for 100 yards. That's 22.5 yards per completion by my math.

Reggie also ran for 2 TDs and was smart with the ball, throwing it away when he needed to. Pretty heady stuff for a Freshman starting in the hallowed ground of Notre Dame stadium.

Please save us the stat dork fantasy football crap just to prove yourself right, which you clearly are not. Watch the game.

Reactions: Cardinals4Ever

Which SuCkS troll are you ? C118000000 ?

Sandlot football ? A 10 yr Head coach is running Sandlot football. Are you still drunk.
Cam Newton , Tim Tebow won The Heisman and National Titles running "sandlot" football.

The Cards won. All that matters. Oregon got to two title games with "sandlot" football.

All QBs improvise when protection breaks down. Lamsr is a TRUE FRESHMAN, and
he'll play like one. As long as the Cards win, no one cares who starts or what offense
they run. You want a perfect team, play Xbox.

Reactions: Cardinals4Ever
Well the Cards aren't really winning now are they Kerry? I know you're still giddy over the big win yesterday, but we've been pretty bad so far and in a couple of weeks will be 1-5 just as I said after the Auburn game that we "almost" won. Kerry you crack me up with your hall monitor schtick on both boards assuming everyone who doesn't toe the company line is a UK troll. You're a spot mental

First of all you need to get your facts straight before you criticize. Reggie was 8-21 for 180 yards and a TD not 8-21 for 100 yards. That's 22.5 yards per completion by my math.

Reggie also ran for 2 TDs and was smart with the ball, throwing it away when he needed to. Pretty heady stuff for a Freshman starting in the hallowed ground of Notre Dame stadium.

Please save us the stat dork fantasy football crap just to prove yourself right, which you clearly are not. Watch the game.

Aren't you the same poster who said we'd be 12-0 because we're loaded at every position

Some of these opinions look like they're from people who haven't watched many college football games. To say what Lamar Jackson can do with his legs won't work against good competition is totally wrong. In fact, he has already done it against Auburn. There are many QB's that have and had the ability to run against top teams. Jackson's speed and moxie is abundantly clear so to suggest it will only be effective against FCS teams is just dumb.

And those who are blaming Petrino again just don't know what the hell they're talking about. It's so obvious what the issue is so far this season. The OL, the OL, the OL!!!!

That's why it's been hard rushing the ball and why the QB has to be mobile. Now how long it will take to get the right guys in there is the question that Petrino has to answer. Yes, we're 1-3 but look how close we are to being 4-0 with this super young team and ineffective offensive line. Just look at other big time programs that are having their own issues. Texas, Oregon, Penn State, Miami, and Auburn. Louisville is in good hands and on the cusp of being a very special team.

Did you see Jackson against Houston?

I agree with the non-rose colored glasses folks in this thread. Jackson's performance was good against Samford, but it will probably prove to be fool's gold. His improvisation can work very effectively against the likes of Samford. However it most likely won't work against a good defense. I'm guessing NC State will do the same thing Houston did. They will make sure they don't allow Jackson to get outside in space and they will have a speedy linebacker spying him. So it will come down to Jackson being able to play smart football and not try to force things. The Samford game did little to shed light on this. If coach thinks that Jackson is the best option to win, then so be it. I am just concerned about his ability to not make bad decisions that will ultimately kill you against talented teams.

Well the Cards aren't really winning now are they Kerry? I know you're still giddy over the big win yesterday, but we've been pretty bad so far and in a couple of weeks will be 1-5 just as I said after the Auburn game that we "almost" won. Kerry you crack me up with your hall monitor schtick on both boards assuming everyone who doesn't toe the company line is a UK troll. You're a spot mental

Giddy. You're a hell of a fan..........

A win is a win. 1-AA schools upset 1-A schools every season.

Im watching Two time Super bowl QB Russell Wilson, one time champ, runs
a read/pass mix.

And when the Cards beat NC state on the road, what will be your excuse.
Run tell that on your crap illustrated board.

I agree with the non-rose colored glasses folks in this thread. Jackson's performance was good against Samford, but it will probably prove to be fool's gold. His improvisation can work very effectively against the likes of Samford. However it most likely won't work against a good defense. I'm guessing NC State will do the same thing Houston did. They will make sure they don't allow Jackson to get outside in space and they will have a speedy linebacker spying him. So it will come down to Jackson being able to play smart football and not try to force things. The Samford game did little to shed light on this. If coach thinks that Jackson is the best option to win, then so be it. I am just concerned about his ability to not make bad decisions that will ultimately kill you against talented teams.

Stop it Hank! You masked too much sense and just being a Debbie Downer. Huge win yesterday! Gonna go 9-3 with Lamar

Giddy. You're a hell of a fan..........

A win is a win. 1-AA schools upset 1-A schools every season.

Im watching Two time Super bowl QB Russell Wilson, one time champ, runs
a read/pass mix.

And when the Cards beat NC state on the road, what will be your excuse.
Run tell that on your crap illustrated board.

Again.....just a tad mental. Yeah we got Russell freaking Wilson back there at QB! You obviously do y watch games closely

I just don't understand this need for Cards fans to argue against their team with other Cards fan. "Wait until we're 1-5"? Why would you say that and be a Cards fan? Is that what you want? Will you be upset if Jackson's sandlot game wins the next two games?

Of course the Samford win doesn't mean the Cards are now a top 25 team, but the game did do a lot to help the team. Don't forget we were so close to winning all three games we lost. This was just the season where we needed a couple lesser teams to start the schedule.

If you're a real Cards fan, you should see the cup half full, not half empty. We have all seen enough college football to know things can change very rapidly. Especially when your team is full of talented young players.

We are well on our way now after last night. Absolute best case scenario now is 6-6.
Wow, we are 1-3 and the best case scenario that you can see is us finishing is 6-6? So according to you there is no earthly chance that we beat Wake Forest, Syracuse, Virginia and at least win one game against Pitt, UK, Boston College or NC State?

I'm sure you are hoping you are right just to be right but you take being a pessimist to a whole other level.

Sit back and enjoy watching the exciting Lamar Jackson and this young Cards team grow. Then again don't.

Funny thread...guess Manziel, Maroita, RGIII, Cam Newton and currently Boykin at TCU and even Watson at Clemson are "Sandlot QB" as well.

Fact of the matter is apparently Petrino feels Jackson is the best option at this point and it is not like he doesn't have the arm talent to eventually to become better from the pocket-(he does have a very quick release and a gun for a arm).

Just prepare for the roller coaster that comes with Freshmen...it is what it is...

Wow, we are 1-3 and the best case scenario that you can see is us finishing is 6-6? So according to you there is no earthly chance that we beat Wake Forest, Syracuse, Virginia and at least win one game against Pitt, UK, Boston College or NC State?

I'm sure you are hoping you are right just to be right but you take being a pessimist to a whole other level.

Sit back and enjoy watching the exciting Lamar Jackson and this young Cards team grow. Then again don't.

NCSU, FSU and UK are likely losses. BC probably as well. That's 7.

Funny thread...guess Manziel, Maroita, RGIII, Cam Newton and currently Boykin at TCU and even Watson at Clemson are "Sandlot QB" as well.

Fact of the matter is apparently Petrino feels Jackson is the best option at this point and it is not like he doesn't have the arm talent to eventually to become better from the pocket-(he does have a very quick release and a gun for a arm).

Just prepare for the roller coaster that comes with Freshmen...it is what it is...
And don't forget that amateur sandlot offense that Utah plays. The Utes and there sandlot QB Travis Wilson (who threw for 200+ yards and ran for another 100 yards) hung 62 points on Highly ranked Oregon last night, just the most points scored on the Ducks in Eugene in history.

Lamar and BP should just realize that crap doesn't work in big time college football.

And don't forget that amateur sandlot offense that Utah plays. The Utes and there sandlot QB Travis Wilson (who threw for 200+ yards and ran for another 100 yards) hung 62 points on Highly ranked Oregon last night, just the most points scored on the Ducks in Eugene in history.

Lamar and BP should just realize that crap doesn't work in big time college football.

Exactly...if you actually watch college football and even in the NFL you see more athletic QB...even Andrew Luck is a legit 4.5 Forty guy and is actually more athletic than Cam Newton....game is now too fast for the classic pocket QB.

Now Jackson does need to improve from the pocket...if he does that you really have something.

You are confusing the read/option with sandlot football. The read/option is a coherent offensive game plan. Sandlot football is running around making guys miss and chucking the ball around. I think the fear with Jackson is that against good teams his game is less read/option and more sandlot-esque. I agree he is an amazing talent and has tremendous upside. But I also think that at this time Kyle Bolin gives us the best opportunity to win against good teams right now. I'm not willing to concede the season at this point, so my preference would be to play the QB that gives us the best opportunity to win, which I think is Bolin.

We all know it's important to have balance on offense and you have to be able to throw the ball (which Lamar can). Nobody loves that balance more than Bobby Petrino.

This freshman has ridiculous talent and deserves to start especially given our O-line woes so far as others have noted. We are going to have to live with some mistakes but good Lord Teddy had some bad games as a freshman too. Remember the Marshall game after beating UK?

If you don't think Lamar is the man to lead us forward by all means tell us why. You may end up being right but personally I can't see what's not to like.

You are confusing the read/option with sandlot football. The read/option is a coherent offensive game plan. Sandlot football is running around making guys miss and chucking the ball around. I think the fear with Jackson is that against good teams his game is less read/option and more sandlot-esque. I agree he is an amazing talent and has tremendous upside. But I also think that at this time Kyle Bolin gives us the best opportunity to win against good teams right now. I'm not willing to concede the season at this point, so my preference would be to play the QB that gives us the best opportunity to win, which I think is Bolin.
Yes because we have not run any read option while Lamar has been at QB. What games have you been watching? You are referring to the improvisational skills that Lamar has shown running because the play has broken down due to our leaky offensive line.

The fact of the matter is that much of what we are trying to run including the read option is being blown up at the point of attack.

There were multiple times last night that even when running a play action pass play a free running D-lineman or Linebacker forced Lamar to move out of the pocket as soon as he turned around and that was against an FCS defense.

Yes because we have not run any read option while Lamar has been at QB. What games have you been watching? You are referring to the improvisational skills that Lamar has shown running because the play has broken down due to our leaky offensive line.

The fact of the matter is that much of what we are trying to run including the read option is being blown up at the point of attack.

There were multiple times last night that even when running a play action pass play a free running D-lineman or Linebacker forced Lamar to move out of the pocket as soon as he turned around and that was against an FCS defense.

Where did I say we weren't running the read/option with Jackson? Aside from your snarkiness, it doesn't look like we disagree too much. My point is that Jackson's improvisational (sandlot) skills will not be effective against good defense and furthermore can be detrimental as evidenced by some bad turnovers against Houston. I have no problem with Jackson and think he will be the man in the future, but I put little stock in his efforts against Samford and think Bolin provides the best opportunity to run a solid Petrino offense.

Additionally, why are people so offended by the notion that Bolin should start over Jackson? Some folks act like Jackson is all upside and that Bolin is over-the-hill. Hell, Bolin is only a sophomore and has started just 2 games.

Reactions: earsky
Where did I say we weren't running the read/option with Jackson? Aside from your snarkiness, it doesn't look like we disagree too much. My point is that Jackson's improvisational (sandlot) skills will not be effective against good defense and furthermore can be detrimental as evidenced by some bad turnovers against Houston. I have no problem with Jackson and think he will be the man in the future, but I put little stock in his efforts against Samford and think Bolin provides the best opportunity to run a solid Petrino offense.
Wasn't trying to be snarky but the sandlot ball that you are referring to is due mostly to plays getting aborted because of our guys up front IMO.

It's obvious that if this particular UofL team had a better offensive line there would be a lot less helter-skelter "sandlot" plays by Lamar. I seriously doubt coach Petrino sends in a play to Lamar to just run around and see what you can do. Although against Auburn and it's marauding D-line against us that may be closer to the truth than we think.

As far as Bolin goes, you may very well be right . Kyle has been good considering his lack of experience but I think if we asked any head coach in college football who has more upside, him or Jackson, they would just look at you or me like we were Dexter Manley assessing QBs.

All those things plus having Lamar at QB with Reggie lining up everywhere else makes this offense much harder to defend.

The team has had a bad first month.

They did what they had to do this weekend, but the result figures to have little consequence in regards to outcomes moving forward.

Quick returned, which does give the team an additional weapon we did not have in two of our losses. I'm not sure he would have made a difference in those games. We did have a couple key drops vs Clemson.

As for personnel decisions, mainly, the QB spot...it's hard to say what will work the best with this team because of the lack of success the first three games. If any of the guys that have been given an opportunity had truly taken a hold of the job, we wouldn't be where we are.

So on to NC St. The team will try to get an identity there, or the season could flush. Right now, the only identity they have is an inability to block well enough to give the young talent we have an opportunity to make plays.

Well if we listen to the pusedo (sp) doomsayers here we should fire CBP immediately, if not sooner. I love these folks that come on here and act like they are "experts" about how to coach a football team. You understand why Kyle was sacked five times last week against Clemson? It's because our offensive line is offensive. You cannot be statistically successful unless you have a good running game and that's exactly what Lamar and Reggie do best. I loved Stephan Lefors but he ain't walking thru that door again unless it's dressed as Lamar or Reggie. Kyle is a good qb but he is hindered/handicapped by the lack of an offensive line.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I couldn't disagree more. Petrino's teams before were undisciplined, reckless, academically not there? News to me.

Trinity dominates because they choose their players while their state competition has to play with the players dealt them. It has nothing to do with pride, determination and all those other elitist code words that cover up the real reason private schools succeed. Money. Money to pay their coaches. Money to buy the best equipment. Money to buy players. Money that doesn't need to be spent on female sports (title 9) And money to send your kids to schools so they are separated from the lowest denominators of students. It's hard for a public school team to conduct a off-season workout program when many of your players are mal nourished and have no way to travel across the county.
Malnourished? Come now. Money to buy players? Public schools have to advantage of no tuition, being supported by public dollars. Numerous public schools do fine academically (a place at DuPont Manual is prized, indeed). If there are shortcomings with public schools, it is the fault of the public school commissariat, not the private schools. Trinity does well at the things they emphasize. THS basketball strikes fear in the hearts of no one.

Reactions: OmegaCard

Here's the real issue. Some "fans" would rather see Bolin play than the team win, despite the fact that the O-line can't protect him, yet. Some of these rants sound more like a social issue than a team issue.

Reactions: Louisvillian
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT