ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville: 45 Samford: 3. Final Score

Louisville: 31 Samford: 3 at the half.

UofL adds a 50 yard Wallace FG and a Bonnafon TD pass to Crum.
Looks like Petrino is going with Reggie Bonnafon for short goal line yardage for run or pass options.

Lamar Jackson named Impact Player of the Game with 212 yards (1 TD) passing and 184 yards (2 TDs) rushing.

Sandlot crap isn't going to work against legitimate opponents.....starting next week. Said it from the first okay of the season, Petrino is not the same coach we had. It's a disgrace that Kyle Bolin has to sit behind this crap. Again this was all fools gold against an over matched opponent

Reactions: Caveman
Sandlot crap isn't going to work against legitimate opponents.....starting next week. Said it from the first okay of the season, Petrino is not the same coach we had. It's a disgrace that Kyle Bolin has to sit behind this crap. Again this was all fools gold against an over matched opponent
I hope you are drunk.

Nope I'm not. Celebrate this if you want but we're getting rolled next week. This offense is a joke. I'm thinking you may only be able to see the final score and not that this crap won't work against any program with a pulse.

Reactions: Caveman
We will not beat a good team playing this high school offense.

Bolin, our best QB for the OLD Petrino offense which made his reputation, didn't even get a snap tonight?!?. I don't know what has happened to this guy, he has totally lost confidence in himself and thinks he needs a scrambling/running QB to save his bacon. Bolin, by far our best QB transfers after tonight.... he'd be crazy not to. What an F!U! after being our most effective QB.

Samford was over-matched physically. NC state will not be. FSU will not be. BC will not be. Syracuse will not be... you get the picture.

I love Bobbie, but at some point he was poisoned by Kragthorp residue and it is a horrible train wreck to watch.

This is NOT ABOUT THE QB's... ITS ABOUT BOBBY PETRINO and his total loss of confidence in his ability to play winning offensive football.

Go ahead and have a fit, I wish I was wrong, but this was ridiculous.

Nope I'm not. Celebrate this if you want but we're getting rolled next week. This offense is a joke. I'm thinking you may only be able to see the final score and not that this crap won't work against any program with a pulse.
REALLY..playing 2 QB's one has 206 yards other 68...how is this sandlot?

The offensive line is still struggling and that is very disappointing to say the least.

On the positive side I love Lamar Jackson not just running, he can really throw it too and is only going to get better especially when the porous O-line will ever let him get his feet set for a split second. Also like seeing Reggie Getting touches in space.

Defense was lights out.

I will agree that Petrino's style has had to change, years before, his teams were reckless

undisciplined, and academically not there. But, we were winning and winning big in the BE.

We are young everywhere from the newest to a big time conference to the youngest and smallest

of all ACC schools as far as football. I've been watching UofL football for fifty years and young man

let me tell you it's been more roller coaster than I want to admit. I see progress forward and i see

losses back, but this program will one day get its' "Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, Bo

Schembechler, Pete Carrol, Woody Hayes, well, you get it.

I'll agree, we are not very good right now. I saw this coming at the beginning of the season and I've

seen a lot of college football in my day. We'll see if the changes made to the Samford game apply to

the rest of the season. Time will tell. I have felt your pain brother for far too many years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: beasleythecard
When we are able to run the ball, everything will flow better.

Our defense and offense needs big guys that can move.

Until then we are a team that will not have an identity on either side of the ball

Hate to be a broken record, but that's all coaching guys. The players are only as good as they

are coached. Only then will identity come.

Look at Trinity's coach, Bob Beatty. Last year they started 0-3 against national powers and

ended up winning another state championship. Why? because of coaching. Beatty had

his smallest team ever at Trinity since he's been there. Be it a religious inspiration,

motivational talks or the power of positive thinking, his kids bought into his thinking

and system and won.

I feel your pain SpeedCard and have been preaching the differences in coaches from the

beginning. This not the reckless Bobby we had before that let his players run wild

and lose, undisciplined. This is a very uncomfortable Bobby that is trying to play

it straight. (and has to do so). Shades of his attitude started at Arkansas. He was different there

too. He will find his confidence and regain that fire in the belly syndrome....hopefully soon.

This was the type of game that We needed to get Lamar Jackson some more experience, and Reggie some confidence. We all know Kyle can play. What would be the point playing him in this game, knowing that we were going to win. Kyle doesn't need confidence and experience like the other 2 QB's do in case Kyle get's hurt.

The only thing I didn't like seeing was our Offensive line get pushed around by Samford, and making the stupid illegal receiver down field penalties. It's exactly why We need our scrambling QB's ready to go at any time.

James Quick had a nice game as well as the Defense.

Boo to You Negative Guys, who find negativity in everything that We do. I don't care. I'm celebrating tonight.

A Win is a Win. and We won big with 2 different QB's and 1 of those QB's doubled as a tailback at times.

I'll worry about the reality of the situation, like basic fundamentals, and mechanics, missed arm tackles, next week.

Go Cards!!!!

Last edited:
I will agree that Petrino's style has had to change, years before, his teams were reckless

undisciplined, and academically not there. But, we were winning and winning big in the BE.

We are young everywhere from the newest to a big time conference to the youngest and smallest

of all ACC schools as far as football. I've been watching UofL football for fifty years and young man

let me tell you it's been more roller coaster than I want to admit. I see progress forward and i see

losses back, but this program will one day get its' "Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, Bo

I'll agree, we are not very good right now. I saw this coming at the beginning of the season and I've

seen a lot of college football in my day. We'll see if the changes made to the Samford game apply to

the rest of the season. Time will tell. I have felt your pain brother for far too many years.
I disagree that " Petrino's ...teams were reckless undisciplined, and academically not there". Based on what? John L's teams would get s lot of dumb personal fouls that hurt us, but the hallmark of Bobby's first term here was precision and disciplined play. I can't speak to the academics, except to say that we never had any kind of academic scandal, and bad actors were quickly shown the door. UL could have lost today if they played poorly. We aren't good enough to take anyone for granted. The margin was what it was because the Cards played well. Let's hope it continues.

I couldn't disagree more. Petrino's teams before were undisciplined, reckless, academically not there? News to me.

Trinity dominates because they choose their players while their state competition has to play with the players dealt them. It has nothing to do with pride, determination and all those other elitist code words that cover up the real reason private schools succeed. Money. Money to pay their coaches. Money to buy the best equipment. Money to buy players. Money that doesn't need to be spent on female sports (title 9) And money to send your kids to schools so they are separated from the lowest denominators of students. It's hard for a public school team to conduct a off-season workout program when many of your players are mal nourished and have no way to travel across the county.

I kinda like what Petrino is trying to do with the offense. You can't argue that there isn't something in it for everyone.

Assuming Bolin continues to play a role, the offense can't really be defined. And if there's a coach who can carry it off--multiple QBs, multiple schemes, etc.--it's Petrino.

The mad scientist...

The team really needed a game like this a feel good type of moment . However the offensive line is total crap or a work in progress still. And Lamar still has a ways to go, with his passing. He just doesn't seem comfortable sitting in the pocket. And to be honest a lot those runs will not work against better opponents. And Bobby has to work with mainly Charlie recruited offensive players, except the true freshman he brought in.

Which crap specifically won't work against a program with a pulse? Actual serious question.

This year is going to be tough and hopefully they make it to a bowl. Find me an quarterback at any level that can be effective behind a bad line with no running game. Ask Andrew Luck has it feels. On top of that there are freshman/sophomores all over the field at the QB,WR and TE. Think about this as well they are playing RB at running back because of his speed.....they need to recruit some speed at running back for this system.

To expect this group to be good on offense isn't realistic at this point. Bolin isn't the future. Jackson provides the best opportunity to be good next year. Speed kills. He has the tools to be a really good throwing QB. That will only get better with time.

The only way this team makes it to a bowl is if the defense steps up big time in the up coming games. They have to be the anchor this year.

Which crap specifically won't work against a program with a pulse? Actual serious question.
Watch the game. The running around and improvising. Looks great against Samford. Won't look great against NCSU FSU etc Bonnafon ever playing a meaningful minute at QB. That crap

Last edited:
Mobile QBs that improvise can have success. Teams use dual threat QBs.

The line can't block for a pocket passer, and Lamar is just a FR.

So whatever we do isn't going to work all that well.

It doesn't matter what we do, we're probably losing the next two regardless of the style of offense we attempt.

Last edited:
Are you kidding me about the fact that Bolin doesn't need confidence? Did you watch the end of the Clemson game? He failed to execute several things in a game that was winnable or at least headed to OT. No, Bobby decided that he didn't deserve another chance, goes with Jackson and then if Jackson struggles against NC State, he'll bring Bolin back to save the day. In the meantime, none of our QB's get any real experience that helps later on. Still saw some miscues by Jackson but was overcome by a weaker opponent....

Dude, we have no offensive line, yet. Jackson and the spread give us the best chance of moving the ball.

You need to chill.

Reactions: Louisvillian
Petrino seems like he wants Lamar to be his starting QB no matter what, hence no clear cut starter at QB the 1st 3 games. I feel bad for Gardner cause he battled through 2 ACL surgeries and he's sidelined again w/a rib injury. Bolin is capable to be the starter, but Petrino wants a running QB because of how the oline is and Bolin isn't a runner.

Petrino seems like he wants Lamar to be his starting QB no matter what, hence no clear cut starter at QB the 1st 3 games. I feel bad for Gardner cause he battled through 2 ACL surgeries and he's sidelined again w/a rib injury. Bolin is capable to be the starter, but Petrino wants a running QB because of how the oline is and Bolin isn't a runner.
It's also because Lamar Jackson is the best QB we have period. I too feel bad for Will Gardner because he was playing really well when he got hurt at BC last year. I'll always appreciate what Kyle Bolin did against UK and he is the perfect backup college QB but Lamar Jackson has the talent that is on another level.

I don't think I've ever seen a QB as explosive as Lamar is running and improvising and anyone who thinks Lamar can't throw from the pocket evidently didn't see that 20 yard laser he threw to Quick down the seam last night. That throw was pro-like.

This slow developing O-line has forced Bobby to adjust and evolve as a Coach. It's time for our fans to evolve including myself and embrace the new look Cards.

The O-line tends to always temper any enthusiasm but with Lamar at QB, Reggie lining up all over the place and our talented Tight Ends and Receivers has me as excited about our future as I was when Teddy came in for Will Stein at UK en route to win.

Reactions: Cardinals4Ever
Offensive line needs work in several areas.

1) Our QBs were being chased by D linemen.
2) We could not block effectively to get our speed to the outside.

Technique, ability or both.
You're exactly right. We saw it against Clemson but it was just as evident last night, I don't know how many times Lamar would play fake with a plan to throw the ball only to find a D-linemen bearing down on him as soon as he squared to pass. Our Right Tackle was responsible for a lot of it as were others.

Disappointing that we are not seeing much improvement.

Reactions: Cardinals4Ever
Some of these opinions look like they're from people who haven't watched many college football games. To say what Lamar Jackson can do with his legs won't work against good competition is totally wrong. In fact, he has already done it against Auburn. There are many QB's that have and had the ability to run against top teams. Jackson's speed and moxie is abundantly clear so to suggest it will only be effective against FCS teams is just dumb.

And those who are blaming Petrino again just don't know what the hell they're talking about. It's so obvious what the issue is so far this season. The OL, the OL, the OL!!!!

That's why it's been hard rushing the ball and why the QB has to be mobile. Now how long it will take to get the right guys in there is the question that Petrino has to answer. Yes, we're 1-3 but look how close we are to being 4-0 with this super young team and ineffective offensive line. Just look at other big time programs that are having their own issues. Texas, Oregon, Penn State, Miami, and Auburn. Louisville is in good hands and on the cusp of being a very special team.

Some of these opinions look like they're from people who haven't watched many college football games. To say what Lamar Jackson can do with his legs won't work against good competition is totally wrong. In fact, he has already done it against Auburn. There are many QB's that have and had the ability to run against top teams. Jackson's speed and moxie is abundantly clear so to suggest it will only be effective against FCS teams is just dumb.

And those who are blaming Petrino again just don't know what the hell they're talking about. It's so obvious what the issue is so far this season. The OL, the OL, the OL!!!!

That's why it's been hard rushing the ball and why the QB has to be mobile. Now how long it will take to get the right guys in there is the question that Petrino has to answer. Yes, we're 1-3 but look how close we are to being 4-0 with this super young team and ineffective offensive line. Just look at other big time programs that are having their own issues. Texas, Oregon, Penn State, Miami, and Auburn. Louisville is in good hands and on the cusp of being a very special team.
Good post and I would love to ask Jim Harbaugh, Urban Meyer, Art Briles, Rich Rodriguez, Kyle Winningham and Nick Saban (just to name a few) to watch Lamar Jackson play and see what they say about him since poor old Bobby Petrino has lost it.

We are very fortunate to have this kid.

If the OL was stout and experienced the Cards would have thrashed Auburn and beaten Houston and Clemson going away. Imagine Jackson having time to pass and the ability to set up the pass with his running game.

Opponents would have been playing from behind and with the Cards pass rush along with its hawking secondary , the defense would have the offense back on the field twice as much.

This is what we should see before the season is over. The OL is the key. I think any reasonable fan knows it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT