ADVERTISEMENT

Losing 2 Scholarships

Just an educated guess, but I THINK the lack of welcome to your posts may have to do with the fact that 28 of your 34 posts here have been posts involving the scandal. If you perhaps built a little goodwill by discussing other topics, what YOU feel are "respectful" posts might be better received. Just one man's guess.
Point well taken.

Reactions: blubo
I was wondering when someone would ask. Yes, that is my ear (but and old picture). Multiple mastoid cavity surgeries. I have 2 years, but only 1 is functional. :)

Two years?
You can lose hearing if the cartilage is damaged or your actual inner ear is damaged?

Two years?
You can lose hearing if the cartilage is damaged or your actual inner ear is damaged?

Ha, sorry for the typo... 2 ears (not years).

During my first surgery, the Dr tried to rebuild my ear, but all for naught. They think it is a total nerve deafness, that I never had hearing on that side. It was a bit of a chicken and egg thing... was I deaf because of the illness, or did I get the infections and not notice because I as deaf.

Either way, I've made it this far on one ear, I should be fine. Plus, partial deafness is a convenient excuse to not hear the wife! :p

Dude you are a straight up clown. You sure give the UK posters here a run for their money
Pretty sure one can be a fan of UofL and still be able to dislike people for reasons outside of their UofL fandom. It's called being discerning and is how most adults operate.

Obviously the administration is overreacting. I'm fine with these sanctions. My issue is that we did this in conjunction with a post season ban. From what we know (very little) I think we've acted too soon.

I think it is often overlooked but it has been stated clearly during both self imposed sanctions, is that we (U of L) has taken these steps to expedite the NCAA process by forcing (asking) them to address our actions. We don't want things to linger like the UNC concerns even though it looks like nothing will come of it. Again, I think we have to keep trust in Ramsey, Jurich and CRP because isn't that what L1C4 means?

Obviously the administration is overreacting. I'm fine with these sanctions. My issue is that we did this in conjunction with a post season ban. From what we know (very little) I think we've acted too soon.
Did they overreact? We don't know because we don't know all the facts. All we really know is something bad enough occurred which pushed the administration towards making the decisions they made. It sucks but it can't be changed now.

Did they overreact? We don't know because we don't know all the facts. All we really know is something bad enough occurred which pushed the administration towards making the decisions they made. It sucks but it can't be changed now.

I would rather have the university to wait till the NOA comes out and then self sanction. The way this is being handled makes it look like they are trying too hard. At least wait till the investigation is over. Hell UNCheat delayed their day in court because they though they had a winner. UL could have done the same thing. I bet the sanctions wouldn't have been any different than they are now.

Although I hated the post season ban in a season where we had a solid chance to make a strong run (and have mixed feelings on whether we should or shouldn't have issued the ban), I am going with the mindset that UofL hired Chuck Smrt with the express purpose of using his NCAA Compliance experience and (what I hope) is current connections to gauge, and react, to what they feel the NCAA would most positively view as proactive and responsible measures, in order to best mitigate the possible sanctions. In other words, I THINK Smrt and UofL have an educated/informed guess as to what the NCAA's position is at this point of the case, and are acting aggressively to minimize the adjudication impact.

Although I hated the post season ban in a season where we had a solid chance to make a strong run (and have mixed feelings on whether we should or shouldn't have issued the ban), I am going with the mindset that UofL hired Chuck Smrt with the express purpose of using his NCAA Compliance experience and (what I hope) is current connections to gauge, and react, to what they feel the NCAA would most positively view as proactive and responsible measures, in order to best mitigate the possible sanctions. In other words, I THINK Smrt and UofL have an educated/informed guess as to what the NCAA's position is at this point of the case, and are acting aggressively to minimize the adjudication impact.

I agree. I think we would all be more comfortable with the decisions/actions if we were privy to the information. It seems preemptive and possibly overreacting based on what we know... which leaves the issue of what we don't know...

Reactions: blubo and awf
I would rather have the university to wait till the NOA comes out and then self sanction. The way this is being handled makes it look like they are trying too hard. At least wait till the investigation is over. Hell UNCheat delayed their day in court because they though they had a winner. UL could have done the same thing. I bet the sanctions wouldn't have been any different than they are now.

This.
Only thing is, i wouldn't throw stones with uofk's cheating history.
Unless your school has never had sanctions, i wouldn't bash another one.

I can understand that line of reasoning but I also believe that what Steelers said is probably close to the truth. At least I hope it is. Another big point in self sanctioning this season was so that UofL wouldn't have lingering sanctions- or more importantly- future post season bans. Think about it like this. If UofL doesn't post season ban this season then the NCAA might have (still might, IDK for sure) put the ban for next season. If that happened then half or more of the team could've left along with incoming recruits. This would've set the team back a lot longer than how it has played out thus far. Again, that is unless the NCAA decides ANOTHER post season ban is necessary which I don't think will happen.

Reactions: blubo and awf
I can understand that line of reasoning but I also believe that what Steelers said is probably close to the truth. At least I hope it is. Another big point in self sanctioning this season was so that UofL wouldn't have lingering sanctions- or more importantly- future post season bans. Think about it like this. If UofL doesn't post season ban this season then the NCAA might have (still might, IDK for sure) put the ban for next season. If that happened then half or more of the team could've left along with incoming recruits. This would've set the team back a lot longer than how it has played out thus far. Again, that is unless the NCAA decides ANOTHER post season ban is necessary which I don't think will happen.

Doesn't the NCAA allow athletes to transfer w/o sitting when a school is put under probation or is it only when they get post season bans?

Unfortunately it seems that it is not cut and dry with transfer rules and there are not simple answers as Rakeem Buckles found out when he tried to follow Richard to Minnesota after FIU was placed on probation due to Isiah Thomas's violations. However in buckles case, he had already transferred once and in the eyes of the NCAA felt that Rakeem was only interested in playing basketball and not necessarily for academic reasons.

Unfortunately it seems that it is not cut and dry with transfer rules and there are not simple answers as Rakeem Buckles found out when he tried to follow Richard to Minnesota after FIU was placed on probation due to Isiah Thomas's violations. However in buckles case, he had already transferred once and in the eyes of the NCAA felt that Rakeem was only interested in playing basketball and not necessarily for academic reasons.
But a kid who comes in over hyped, averages 6 points & 3 rebounds for the season and then hires an agent to declare for the NBA was all about academics. LOL.

Too funny this animal we call the NCAA. :eek:

The NCAA is the biggest joke in amateur sports, they are useless and a waste of time.

Nope, we would lose half of our team if we waited and the NCAA gave us a ban. This seasons ban was better for our program in the long term.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT