ADVERTISEMENT

Losing 2 Scholarships

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
UofL is further expanding its self imposed penalties by eliminating 2 scholarships, starting with 1 scholly in '17-18.

I firmly believe that the parting ways with Frankie Hughes was in preparation of this. It will be very important for UofL to maximize its scholarships. There will be less room for works in progress the next few years.

UofL is further expanding its self imposed penalties by eliminating 2 scholarships, starting with 1 scholly in '17-18.

I firmly believe that the parting ways with Frankie Hughes was in preparation of this. It will be very important for UofL to maximize its scholarships. There will be less room for works in progress the next few years.
The lack of transparency in this mess is incredible.

Yep. I believe that too. It turned into one big chit sandwich and we're all gonna have to take a bite and accept it or find a new team to support. I'll hold my nose and take my bite. I am L1C4 no matter what.

The sooner this is behind the athletic department, the better. While I wasn't thrilled about the decision to punish the kids on this roster who had ZERO to do with the crud that went on at Minardi Hall, looking at the bigger picture, it made the most sense. No matter who broke the rules, rules were broken and now the program has to face the consequences. We either face them together or find a new team to support. I'm staying.

Not sure what the right answer is in terms how how to handle the investigation and penalties. The NCAA is ridiculous to work with and has no standard processes. The information carries potential criminal charges. And we are talking about a program that is worth tens of millions of $$$.

There's no news in here. You'll also hear about a multi-game coaching ban for Pitino, probably 5-10 games. This is the NCAA script for this stuff, and more of our falling-on-our-sword.

The news I'm waiting for and that we're not hearing is why. Why are any penalties being self imposed? Unless I missed it, I still haven't heard much of issue that U of L has done wrong--besides impermissible benefits of $48 per week for the basketball team.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Most likely on the advice of Smrt who is in contact with the NCAA. Best case scenario is the NCAA says thats enough and tacks on the RP suspension for a few games and we are done with this ordeal.

No suprise. This was expectant.
Coach P will more than likely be suspended, then the NCAA rules.

There's no news in here. You'll also hear about a multi-game coaching ban for Pitino, probably 5-10 games. This is the NCAA script for this stuff, and more of our falling-on-our-sword.

The news I'm waiting for and that we're not hearing is why. Why are any penalties being self imposed? Unless I missed it, I still haven't heard much of issue that U of L has done wrong--besides impermissible benefits of $48 per week for the basketball team.

With an ongoing investigation underway would they be able to publicly state what the specific reasons are for all the self imposing.

Smrt is old school and what he has us doing reminds me of how schools reacted in the past. How often do you see other programs do this kind of self imposing. I hope his advice is successful.

With an ongoing investigation underway would they be able to publicly state what the specific reasons are for all the self imposing.

Smrt is old school and what he has us doing reminds me of how schools reacted in the past. How often do you see other programs do this kind of self imposing. I hope his advice is successful.
Smrt is a product of the NCAA bureaucracy and can't be trusted anymore than the NCAA can. What his involvement does is give your investigation credibility at a steep price.

I'm fine with him doing the digging and even formulating conclusions. But not so much accepting his conclusions on face value and not at all him making the decisions. That last part is where we're just falling on our swords.

Until I see otherwise, I'm not convinced there was anything here close to justifying a postseason ban. Not just because Doc decided that anyway.

Hmm, well, that begs the question, what does justify a postseason ban in your opinion?
Well, let's start with someone identifying what advantage was gained by U of L and/or the player(s). That's a qualitative question. Then, let's quantify it somehow. If the service of THESE strippers and hos was the only "benefit" and we accept the Queen's accounting of $10,000 over four years, that works out to about seven dollars a day for the entire team. I'd like someone to show me another team that has incurred a postseason ban for 50 cents per day per player of impermissible benefits. (It's really a joke that a prospect or the school would consider that a "benefit".)

I'll keep an open mind that someone can successfully make that type of argument. So far I haven't heard it.

Last edited:

According to the University's statement, they cannot comment on it because their is an NCAA investigation going on regarding the same issues.

I, too, would like more information; I have to accept that I am not entitled to it. An NCAA investigation is a cluster f%&k, but we know that already. Just have to accept it and accept that the University does not want to make waves, when doing so would result in prolonging a process that is already as slow as Christmas.

Reactions: nccardfan
So, in your opinion, it requires a certain monetary level before it is serious? Am I understanding that correctly?
Are you asking does the amount of money matter?

IIRC a couple years ago, U of L self reported that some of the current players had their $7 admissions to Laser Tag paid for. Nothing came of that.

That answer your question?

Well, let's start with someone identifying what advantage was gained by U of L and/or the player(s). That's a qualitative question. Then, let's quantify it somehow. If the service of THESE strippers and hos was the only "benefit" and we accept the Queen's accounting of $10,000 over four years, that works out to about seven dollars a day for the entire team. I'd like someone to show me another team that has incurred a postseason ban for 50 cents per day per player of impermissible benefits. (It's really a joke that a prospect or the school would consider that a "benefit".)

I'll keep an open mind that someone can successfully make that type of argument. So far I haven't heard it.

I don't think it's about the money, but the activity. It also does not matter if there was an Advantage gained or not, since that is not part of the criteria. From the reports that have been made public, there was money paid to her to arrange parties (10k ?) but there are also reports of players/recruits being handed stacks of bills for tipping, and there are (unsubstantiated) reports of extra money being paid for extra services.

That being said, there is a fundamental difference between spending $50 on a dinner for a kid and paying $50 for a kid to get "extra services"... so the $ amount alone isn't the deciding factor.

However, I do agree that the University acted prematurely. IMO, they should have let the investigation run its course, bring all the facts to light, and then act... but too late for that now. There is still too much unknown at this time, at least publicly.

Yes. You're trying to associate the act with money. Money value has no relevance. Laser tag in and of itself is not a violation. In that case, the money was the issue. This situation is the opposite. The action is the violation. The money that changed hands simply highlights the guilty parties and verifies the action. The official visit form the head coach must sign has a section where the head coach certifies that no sexual entertainment was provided. It does not ask about money. If what you are saying were correct, so long as a prostitute owed a staff member a favor and was provided to a recruit for free it would be a nonissue. I think we all know that isn't correct. I'm pretty sure the powers that be at UL know what they are facing and are taking the best course of action they can without giving up too much. I'm not sure why a fan who has no access to what they know would question them with such certainty.
I'm not sure why anyone here cares what cat fan thinks...I don't.

I'm not sure why anyone here cares what cat fan thinks...I don't.
They have their own board full of inbred redneck fellow UK fans to post among. Why they camp out here on every UL thread is completely beyond me and my line of thinking. Those guys who come here are nothing more than shameless inbred attention whores. No one here cares or value their opinions or thoughts on any issue pertaining our program. Why post in any thread about what's going on with us when those inbred redneck slapdicks have a thread with 18,000 replies and counting just for their own sick and obsessed amusement. And to the mods that steady allow this crap y'all should be completely ashamed of the job you're doing.

That's fine, but I said nothing that isn't correct. I guess a rival fan can't even have a reasonable conversation here according to you? Why?
Because you are a sadistic troll living in our misery. Get help with your psychological issues. You aren't here to converse, you are here to cause pain.

Reactions: LockdownCard
Unless the ho and her services were being significantly underpriced, the services were worth what was paid.

We've all wisecracked about this... When I look at the photos, you would have had to pay ME at least $10,000 over four years to subject myself to that.

Others have remarked that if Pitino had made the arrangements, the characters in the photos would look a helluva lot better. And we'd be adding zeroes to that dollar amount.

I question why star college athletes are paying for sex or why those women could charge them for it. None of it makes sense.

And as far as "benefit", we certainly received none. I also doubt that any players or prospects consider that service administered by those people a benefit. ...Which is probably why U of L didn't actually benefit. It's almost a joke.

Again, we have no facts of what happened. Yet, we took a significant penalty. And I believe the first version of how that happened which is that Ramsey made that decision.

But I'll wait to hear the facts before forming a final opinion.

Good lord I wouldnt let any of those skanks touch me with a 10 foot pole, and I am 56. I just can't imagine a D1 athlete looking twice at them. The whole thing just doesn't make sense.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Because you are a sadistic troll living in our misery. Get help with your psychological issues. You aren't here to converse, you are here to cause pain.
I've never been anything but respectful when posting here. I was simply trying to discuss with Zipp why he thinks money is such an issue.

I've never been anything but respectful when posting here. I was simply trying to discuss with Zipp why he thinks money is such an issue.

Just an educated guess, but I THINK the lack of welcome to your posts may have to do with the fact that 28 of your 34 posts here have been posts involving the scandal. If you perhaps built a little goodwill by discussing other topics, what YOU feel are "respectful" posts might be better received. Just one man's guess.

Last edited:
They have their own board full of inbred redneck fellow UK fans to post among. Why they camp out here on every UL thread is completely beyond me and my line of thinking. Those guys who come here are nothing more than shameless inbred attention whores. No one here cares or value their opinions or thoughts on any issue pertaining our program. Why post in any thread about what's going on with us when those inbred redneck slapdicks have a thread with 18,000 replies and counting just for their own sick and obsessed amusement. And to the mods that steady allow this crap y'all should be completely ashamed of the job you're doing.

Like the part of this comment about the mods...I have mentioned this numerous times but cayut fans still allowed to run rampant.

Perhaps you should throw offer up your services to moderate - your posts have clearly positioned you to be a voice of reason.

Perhaps you should throw offer up your services to moderate - your posts have clearly positioned you to be a voice of reason.
No I don't want to be a mod,Steelers is a great mod. Just like many fans I am tired of the UK trash posters coming here just to stir the pot. It's hard to ignore them when it's five or six trolling every single post. There's plenty of great UK posters but the ones here are nothing but low post count trolls with only one intention to hang around here. There are five or six Louisville topics on rupp rafters, why don't they sign into their real accounts and post whatever they want about Louisville basketball there. Some ppl here are tired of going back and fourth arguing with those losers here. I just wanna discuss my cards.

Yep! I had the same thing with my daughter's lacrosse team. Another parent kept complaining about practices and playing time and coaching style, so I told them they were looking for additional coaches... that shut him up quickly. :D
Dude you're a UK fan..your act been up.

Reactions: JohnCard28
Dude you're a UK fan..your act been up.

No act dude. Yes I cheer for the Cats, so what, never hid the fact. I have not once bashed the Cards and regularly pull for them as well. I am a Louisville native (born, raised, current resident.) I am also quite capable of forming cohesive arguments without resorting to name calling or bashing stereotypes. I prefer this board for local view points and good dialog, which generally requires multiple (opposing) view points.

And for the record, this is the only site I belong to. I do not now, nor have I ever, posted on Rafters. Just because I wear blue does not invalidate anything I have said. Don't like it, take it up with the mods. ;)

No act dude. Yes I cheer for the Cats, so what, never hid the fact. I have not once bashed the Cards and regularly pull for them as well. I am a Louisville native (born, raised, current resident.) I am also quite capable of forming cohesive arguments without resorting to name calling or bashing stereotypes. I prefer this board for local view points and good dialog, which generally requires multiple (opposing) view points.

And for the record, this is the only site I belong to. I do not now, nor have I ever, posted on Rafters. Just because I wear blue does not invalidate anything I have said. Don't like it, take it up with the mods. ;)

Okay so I have to ask. Is that your ear in your avatar? If it is what happened to it? And....do you really only have one ear?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT