ADVERTISEMENT

Listening to slapd!ck talk radio at the moment...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
...On a slow sports day that will be the norm for a few months.

It sounds like slappies are fine being a "player's first" program to a point. They're OK generally with players using their program as a springboard into the NBA or professional ranks even if that means they're just a few months on campus.

Apparently, if the kid is just at LPT to hide out and NOT play and NOT reveal his weaknesses to NBA scouts, that's now NOT OK. Even though that's completely consistent with what is in the player's best interests of making as much money as possible.

Somewhere in between there--at an obscure point to be identified--it goes from OK to not OK fulfilling Lite's mission of being a "player's first" program. Maybe a visiting slapd!ck like this 'Fly guy can correct me wherever I'm wrong.

That half pregnant stuff can be a b!tch.

"Elite program," my a$$...

I'm guessing the line for some of them is going to be when the kid uses a scholarship but voluntarily avoids playing in any games, the none and done scenario.

Screen-Shot-2017-02-06-at-12.38.07-PM_dtdr0a.png

Zipp I think the fans care a little more about the scores of the games than some of their players do.

It sounds like slappies are fine being a "player's first" program to a point. They're OK generally with players using their program as a springboard into the NBA or professional ranks even if that means they're just a few months on campus.

Apparently, if the kid is just at LPT to hide out and NOT play and NOT reveal his weaknesses to NBA scouts, that's now NOT OK. Even though that's completely consistent with what is in the player's best interests of making as much money as possible.

Somewhere in between there--at an obscure point to be identified--it goes from OK to not OK fulfilling Lite's mission of being a "player's first" program. Maybe a visiting slapd!ck like this 'Fly guy can correct me wherever I'm wrong.

Slow sports day? NFL draft, playoff games in the NBA and NHL, a full slate of baseball, and you're listening in on Kentucky basketball talk? I'd love to hear you unpack this over a few bourbons zipp.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Slow sports day? NFL draft, playoff games in the NBA and NHL, a full slate of baseball, and you're listening in on Kentucky basketball talk? I'd love to hear you unpack this over a few bourbons zipp.

About the only thing I agree with is "over a few bourbons". NFL draft, NBA playoffs, the NHL (anytime) and MLB games that don't mean crap at this point and you question "a slow sports day"? I think zipp's on to something. But I won't listen to slappy crappola either.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I know several big blue fans who are becoming increasingly dispirited by the turnover. Attitudes have been slipping ever since that loss to Wisconsin in the final four. They want to win, but they also want players that they can develop a love for, and that has been getting harder. The current state of things is simply not "college" basketball anymore. AAU, Prep School, a year or less at a major college, and on to the league. It's just crap. Of course, winning fixes everything.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
Of course, winning fixes everything.

I think you're right... In the end, winning is all that matters. When they're not going to Final Fours every other year, some of this other stuff starts to stand out. If they had won the Championship last year, no one would have cared about a None and Done leaving before ever playing.

I'm always happy to correct you when you're wrong zippy

I'm always happy to correct you when you're wrong zippy
Well then do it...I'm waiting to hear where "player's first" ends for Lite and the slappies.
Gocards gave you the right answer...none of that pro sports crap registers. But yeah, I like the bourbon idea!!

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnKBA
I'm guessing the line for some of them is going to be when the kid uses a scholarship but voluntarily avoids playing in any games, the none and done scenario.
What puzzles me too is how do you MAKE the kid play? So Lite tells the kid "you're going in", and the kid says "I'll pass." Obviously a wasted year of eligibility doesn't matter, but what does Lite do?

Funny how LPT has found itself in a pretty unique situation with their "system." But hey, it's all about those kids!

What puzzles me too is how do you MAKE the kid play? So Lite tells the kid "you're going in", and the kid says "I'll pass." Obviously a wasted year of eligibility doesn't matter, but what does Lite do?

That's a good question. I'm not sure what the rules are with scholarships. If a player refuses to play, can the coach revoke their scholarship?

In reality, the kid has all the leverage because there's no way Calipari is going to do anything. It's just an interesting academic question.

I think the bottom line is, if they go back to the Final Four next year with or without this kid, their fans will be content. If they lose in the first weekend, it's 1 Elite 8 in 3 years with overwhelming talent, and their fans are going to start questioning the way Calipari does business.

Reactions: zipp
Tubby had one title in his ten LPT seasons. This coming year makes one in nine for Lite.

Tubby had one title in his ten LPT seasons. This coming year makes one in nine for Lite.

Are we the only program that's won titles with 5 different coaches? I think we might be and that's awesome.

You know what zipp I don't speak for slappy nation, I just speak for myself. I don't really care what our fan base says or how hey feel. I personally don't have a right/wrong opinion on this "none and done" topic because it hasn't even played itself out yet. If diallo returns to UK then this is all moot. My gut says he comes back but who knows man? He's probably getting pulled in a lot of directions. All I know is if he is hell bent on leaving and/or is not attending class then he would have hired an agent by now. I guess we will find out at some point.

Are we the only program that's won titles with 5 different coaches? I think we might be and that's awesome.

You know what zipp I don't speak for slappy nation, I just speak for myself. I don't really care what our fan base says or how hey feel. I personally don't have a right/wrong opinion on this "none and done" topic because it hasn't even played itself out yet. If diallo returns to UK then this is all moot. My gut says he comes back but who knows man? He's probably getting pulled in a lot of directions. All I know is if he is hell bent on leaving and/or is not attending class then he would have hired an agent by now. I guess we will find out at some point.

I don't follow all of this "draft" stuff but I would think that if kids like Diallo and Mitchell have been told by someone that they are close to being 1st round draft picks so they make themselves eligible without hiring an agent so they maintain their college eligibility. My gut tells me that Mitchell comes back and that Diallo goes. If that happens I have to wonder about the crap slappy nation will go thru. Whereas UofL fans will simply discuss Mitchell's decision and move on. And more to zipp's comment: one title in 9 years with virtual NBA all-star teams would concern most fans and most certainly uahkay cayut fans.

Y'all have had 7 coaches during the span of our 2 HOF coaches here, don't make it sound like Kentucky will win no matter who coaches. The whole ordeal with coaches turning you down and then settling for a Gillispie should've some what humbled you guys.

Reactions: ciswilldean3215
I know several big blue fans who are becoming increasingly dispirited by the turnover. Attitudes have been slipping ever since that loss to Wisconsin in the final four. They want to win, but they also want players that they can develop a love for, and that has been getting harder. The current state of things is simply not "college" basketball anymore. AAU, Prep School, a year or less at a major college, and on to the league. It's just crap. Of course, winning fixes everything.
I think you are onto something with the loss to Wisconsin being the turning point with OAD business model. We drove to Indy the morning after to have breakfast with family who were in for the FF. The crowd was heavily UK. I've seen more smiles at a wake and you couldn't help but hear the grumbling while waiting in line. It was the first time I ever heard any fan dissatisfaction with Cal. Couple that with getting to see the grandsons, I was on a major high.

Y'all have had 7 coaches during the span of our 2 HOF coaches here, don't make it sound like Kentucky will win no matter who coaches. The whole ordeal with coaches turning you down and then settling for a Gillispie should've some what humbled you guys.
It doesn't. The guy we have now was waiting by the phone but Mitch wouldn't make the call. Donovan turned us down (probably more than once). I'm not sure about anyone else. But it worked out perfect and it turned out to be billy d and not Cal who coveted an NBA gig. By the way I'll take 8 titles across 7 coaches versus 3 titles across 2 coaches any day and I'm sure you would too.

Reactions: awf
It doesn't. The guy we have now was waiting by the phone but Mitch wouldn't make the call. Donovan turned us down (probably more than once). I'm not sure about anyone else. But it worked out perfect and it turned out to be billy d and not Cal who coveted an NBA gig. By the way I'll take 8 titles across 7 coaches versus 3 titles across 2 coaches any day and I'm sure you would too.
Not if I have to put up with Sutton's scandal and Gillispie's ineptitude during the interim.

Most of the UK fans I know (which is a lot) are kind of split on Cal. Most; if not all, would rather not be "One and Done U" but the optimistic ones understand the status of the modern game and accept the system due to Cal's high winning %. What a lot are getting tired of is having boatloads of talent and either having up and down seasons or having boatloads of talent and still not winning it all. Winning a title is hard and a lot of UK fans simply think that if you get the best players then you should win the title every time and it just doesn't work that way, it does most of the time in the regular season (the better team has won every matchup in the UK/UL series aside from the lone Sweet 16 loss Russ' senior year) but in March...the "most talented" team isn't always the team that wins. Winning a college basketball title is the hardest thing to do in coaching in my opinion. I do think Cal's in a position to be on a little bit of a warm seat. Not in the sense that there would be any chance whatsoever of him being fired, but that there's a possibility of a little fan uprising next year. There's a chance that Bamba doesn't come and if Diallo stays in the draft this will be a very weak UK team and during a year where the SEC should be much improved.

Also...speaking of Diallo. I 1,000% think he came to UK to be none and done and I think Calipari wanted to play him but the risk wasn't worth the reward for Diallo so instead of risking being exposed he chose to be unknown and to raise his stock in workouts and camps, which he's doing. I don't think Cal had any final say on Diallo playing. Diallo will likely get a 1st round guarantee when its all said and done but it will come down to if he wants to bet on himself to make the lottery and not get hurt or take the guaranteed money now.

In the bigger picture, I'm thankful that LPT has sold its soul to be the best in a sport where the future is murky, and in which they feel they have to rely on a con man.

I'm perfectly happy they're a basketball school.

Reactions: PumaCard
Most of the UK fans I know (which is a lot) are kind of split on Cal. Most; if not all, would rather not be "One and Done U" but the optimistic ones understand the status of the modern game and accept the system due to Cal's high winning %. What a lot are getting tired of is having boatloads of talent and either having up and down seasons or having boatloads of talent and still not winning it all. Winning a title is hard and a lot of UK fans simply think that if you get the best players then you should win the title every time and it just doesn't work that way, it does most of the time in the regular season (the better team has won every matchup in the UK/UL series aside from the lone Sweet 16 loss Russ' senior year) but in March...the "most talented" team isn't always the team that wins. Winning a college basketball title is the hardest thing to do in coaching in my opinion. I do think Cal's in a position to be on a little bit of a warm seat. Not in the sense that there would be any chance whatsoever of him being fired, but that there's a possibility of a little fan uprising next year. There's a chance that Bamba doesn't come and if Diallo stays in the draft this will be a very weak UK team and during a year where the SEC should be much improved.

Also...speaking of Diallo. I 1,000% think he came to UK to be none and done and I think Calipari wanted to play him but the risk wasn't worth the reward for Diallo so instead of risking being exposed he chose to be unknown and to raise his stock in workouts and camps, which he's doing. I don't think Cal had any final say on Diallo playing. Diallo will likely get a 1st round guarantee when its all said and done but it will come down to if he wants to bet on himself to make the lottery and not get hurt or take the guaranteed money now.
Losing our whole roster is cumbersome. But we have been very successful so it's hard to be too upset. In the beginning we were losing lotto pics to the draft. Now we are losing first rounder and even fringe first rounders. This does bother me as a fan. However, the end results have been solid so I will continue to be optimistic. 30 win seasons and deep tournament runs heels all and until that changes , I will continue to be content. What used to be a pretty chill time of year is now always going to be stressful! I will say that.

Losing our whole roster is cumbersome. But we have been very successful so it's hard to be too upset. In the beginning we were losing lotto pics to the draft. Now we are losing first rounder and even fringe first rounders. This does bother me as a fan. However, the end results have been solid so I will continue to be optimistic. 30 win seasons and deep tournament runs heels all and until that changes , I will continue to be content. What used to be a pretty chill time of year is now always going to be stressful! I will say that.

and you should be content. Cal wins games...I would wager he's got the best winning % of any power 5 coach since taking over UK. He's been to more Final Fours in 8 years than Pitino has been to in 16 and won just as many titles. Fans do have a right to be frustrated with his methods however. He's had the best team in the country 3 times - 09', 12', 14' and he had the better team in 13' and allowed Kevin Ollie to outcoach him. Getting outcoached by Bo Ryan in 2014 is understandable (its actually not considering the overwhelming amount of talent Cal had over Ryan, but Ryan is a good coach)...getting outcoached by a 1st year HC is not.

The fact remains he's coached some of the best young players in the NBA, Cousins, Wall, Davis, Townes, Booker, Bledsoe, and also coached some of the best rotational players in the NBA as well and yet...still, only 1 title. I think calling for his head or being angry with him is insane considering his level of success, but I also think its perfectly reasonable to think he should have AT LEAST 1 more title with the amount of talent that has made the short layover in Lexington.

You wouldn't trade a scandal and a two year loser for 5 titles? Come on now

Many fans just don't care about that much about titles that happened prior to them being born, or prior to their era of being a big fan.

We all have access to the history books - it's just not a major talking point in every day thinking about sports.

We love college football but we don't sit around and give props to all those Ivy League title winners back in the day.

It's irrelevant to this era.

We understand the team you root for has placed you in position to need to compromise whatever morals and ethics you may or may not have, but the common fan just doesn't bargain their ethics in most instances.

And Billy G's problems went beyond being a 2 year loser. He was an alcoholic, a total public laughing stock of a human being - that locked a player in a bathroom stall - and he'd still be coaching UK if he won more games. In essence, that's your history, since you like talking history and all.

Last edited:
and you should be content. Cal wins games...I would wager he's got the best winning % of any power 5 coach since taking over UK. He's been to more Final Fours in 8 years than Pitino has been to in 16 and won just as many titles. Fans do have a right to be frustrated with his methods however. He's had the best team in the country 3 times - 09', 12', 14' and he had the better team in 13' and allowed Kevin Ollie to outcoach him. Getting outcoached by Bo Ryan in 2014 is understandable (its actually not considering the overwhelming amount of talent Cal had over Ryan, but Ryan is a good coach)...getting outcoached by a 1st year HC is not.

The fact remains he's coached some of the best young players in the NBA, Cousins, Wall, Davis, Townes, Booker, Bledsoe, and also coached some of the best rotational players in the NBA as well and yet...still, only 1 title. I think calling for his head or being angry with him is insane considering his level of success, but I also think its perfectly reasonable to think he should have AT LEAST 1 more title with the amount of talent that has made the short layover in Lexington.
I cannot disagree with any of this

Let's not forget Kevin Ollie also "out-coached" Hall of Fame (Billy will be one) and championship winning coaches Tom Izzo and Billy Donovan (who both had better teams) on the way to that title game that season as well as Calipari, but yet Calipari gets the flack for losing.

Reactions: awf and kyjeff1
Let's not forget Kevin Ollie also "out-coached" Hall of Fame (Billy will be one) and championship winning coaches Tom Izzo and Billy Donovan (who both had better teams) on the way to that title game that season as well as Calipari, but yet Calipari gets the flack for losing.

Probably because that UK team had 6 McDonalds AA on it and started the season ranked #1 in the country. That Florida team was really, really good but it was a true "college" team with no stars and a bunch of dudes contributing. Plus Cal brings the negativity on himself. I take up for Cal probably more than any poster on this site but Cal deserves every ounce of negative press he gets because of his attitude, arrogance and constant marketing of himself.

In the bigger picture, I'm thankful that LPT has sold its soul to be the best in a sport where the future is murky

I know we're all posting on a basketball board, but the truth is, this sport is in a lot of trouble. Literally no one outside of a few college towns is paying attention. Except for brackets for 1 week of the year.

ESPN is certainly paying attention - they slashed that college basketball coverage staff to bits.

As for that one week a year..... Weren't some of the games on some channel called True TV?

There are a lot of problems - it's hard to pinpoint one single cause, but there's no doubt the sport's popularity is on a major downward spiral.

But now we are drifting a little bit off topic. Let's get Zipp back in here and watch him pull some puppet's strings. The biggest challenge UK has now is the OAD concept is just being embraced pretty much nationally with the exception of Louisville LOLOLOL.... the market is no longer cornered. These guys can and will go just about anywhere - and while Calipari has his reputation of being the owner of a place to go for the OAD's, Mr. Krysazeatetweklalskizdteiassiekycy over at Duke is reeling 'em in too.

ESPN's #1 guy is going to Missouri, #2 guy going to AZ. Duke has two of the top 7.

UK does have four in the ESPN T25, and they may be the front runner for the #3 guy - but are these guys going to be enough with absolutely nobody returning of significance? How good is the class anyway... if Malik Williams (many posters have panned here) is #27?

The model is reliant on top shelf talent to be above and beyond the rest. Serious question.... has the model kind of run it's course? There was a perception created years ago that Calipari was building a power that was taking over college basketball. The theory wasn't created by just UK fans, many bloggers and talking heads have showered praise on the UK program. They got 1 title to show for it - that's not the dominance I think most were expecting.

I think that's the question many UK fans are legitimately asking themselves, whether they would admit it or not. Is this model truly generating the top shelf team achievements that match the top shelf talent? And all the while, it's pretty much a hollow model. They come, they go. Hello. Good-bye.

I can say with honestly I'm already growing tired of our "2 and dones" LOLOLOL I admit it!!!

Last edited:
As far as other OAD destinations, I don't think kids are as stupid as they were... They can go just about anywhere and have the visibility and development they have at LPT. The NBA scouts know where to find you.

Why take a chance you'll turn out like Briscoe or Skal or Poythress or the Twins? Some of those guys are fighting to make it, but that fight wasn't made easier by their LPT experience.

All Lite can promise them is that he will make the road easier in college: less focus on a system, less of a training regimen, easier academic path, etc. Just the kinda priorities you want in a student-athlete.

And I guess we're starting to get a clearer picture of how that's gonna play out, unless Lebron James or Anthony Davis walks thru that door.

Last edited:
...the end results have been solid so I will continue to be optimistic. 30 win seasons and deep tournament runs heels all and until that changes , I will continue to be content. What used to be a pretty chill time of year is now always going to be stressful! I will say that.
Treasure that fool's gold...

It's no mystery why Lite succeeds to a point. He gets 30 wins in the regular season against a soft schedule and a few NCAA wins--and then fades. Because that's where the rubber meets the road as far as quality NCAA teams in the tournament.

LPT's (over)seeding helps them avoid those teams early in the tourney, but that advantage only lasts so long. Eventually, you have to beat good, well-coached teams. And the slappies have a hard time doing that with Lite at the helm.

But as long as you keep the goalposts in close enough, you'll stay happy for awhile longer.

Treasure that fool's gold...

It's no mystery why Lite succeeds to a point. He gets 30 wins in the regular season against a soft schedule and a few NCAA wins--and then fades. Because that's where the rubber meets the road as far as quality NCAA teams in the tournament.

LPT's (over)seeding helps them avoid those teams early in the tourney, but that advantage only lasts so long. Eventually, you have to beat good, well-coached teams. And the slappies have a hard time doing that with Lite at the helm.

But as long as you keep the goalposts in close enough, you'll stay happy for awhile longer.

Oh dear god zipp not this again. Instead of starting this up can't you just go fire up the last thread on this? Or the last 5 threads on this?

Last edited:
Reactions: kyjeff1
Oh dear god zipp not this again. Instead of starting this up can't you just go fire up the last thread on this? Or the last 5 threads on this?

Show me where UK struggles in march? You seem to paint it that UK and UL do things on an opposite spectrum. But UK advances further every year. So yeah, I'm content with our method.

I ain't zipp but I believe he only indicated that uahkay plays a soft schedule and then gets over seeded so they get to play someone soft to start out the NCAA tourney which makes it easier to make a "deep" run into the tourney. I might also add that they do this with OADs that might be NBA all stars down the road. Unless losing to an under talented Wisconsin team (plus being out coached) or losing to a UConn team that UofL hammered by 30 during that same season (and being out coached again) is what zipp was referring to.

I ain't zipp but I believe he only indicated that uahkay plays a soft schedule and then gets over seeded so they get to play someone soft to start out the NCAA tourney which makes it easier to make a "deep" run into the tourney. I might also add that they do this with OADs that might be NBA all stars down the road. Unless losing to an under talented Wisconsin team (plus being out coached) or losing to a UConn team that UofL hammered by 30 during that same season (and being out coached again) is what zipp was referring to.

He's debated it at nauseum. It looks like a copy/paste from his last thread on the subject. It looks like you've read some of those threads.

He's debated it at nauseum. It looks like a copy/paste from his last thread on the subject. It looks like you've read some of those threads.

Because he's right in his postingS. Obviously uahkay fans simply don't get it.

Show me where UK struggles in march? You seem to paint it that UK and UL do things on an opposite spectrum. But UK advances further every year. So yeah, I'm content with our method.
Dear God, it's not about U of L-LPT. That's a little brother comparison.

LPT struggles in March depending on how far it goes...

NCAA Tournament Win Percentage for LPT (2010-present):
Opening round 1.000
Round of Thirty-Two 0.8571
Sweet Sixteen 0.6667
Elite Eight 0.6667
Final Four 0.5000
Champ game 0.5000
Your wins get you to the point where the wins really matter, and then you're about a coin flip to advance even though your talent is so much better than the other guy's. That's why you have one title.

Reactions: PumaCard and gocds
When slappies like you stop talking about "deep runs," I'll stop talking about why and how you make runs that fizzle out. There's no mystery to this process, and God's not required to help you figure it out..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT