ADVERTISEMENT

Listening to a slappy radio host now...

...talking how the hard part of their conference schedule is almost over.

So, do they really take that dumpster fire of a conference they play in seriously?

o_O

"Elite program", my a$$...
Not sure who said that but if you look at their schedule for what it is worth the hardest part of their conference schedule is always on the back end not the front end. The SEC schedules it like that so they will have some note worthy games late in the season.

You can't imagine getting hyped up for those sorry a$$ teams??? You do realize that UL spent most of it's existence in the Metro and CUSA conferences right?
How many conferences has your program been in now?
Don't act like UL has been in the ACC for its entire existence .

I watched UL in the MVC in the 60's and 70's. I remember them playing St. Josephs. Now that UL is in the ACC some people want to act like they have always played in a top notch conference. It just isn't so.

I watched UL in the MVC in the 60's and 70's. I remember them playing St. Josephs. Now that UL is in the ACC some people want to act like they have always played in a top notch conference. It just isn't so

Solid reach back into your time machine deflection off topic. Of course nobody has claimed what you're arguing but that doesn't matter.

This topic is about the SEC, not UofL.

Last edited:
Reactions: zipp
Not sure who said that but if you look at their schedule for what it is worth the hardest part of their conference schedule is always on the back end not the front end. The SEC schedules it like that so they will have some note worthy games late in the season.
It was a WLAP slappy... But in fairness, it's likely tough to look at the LPT conference schedule and tell which part is easy and hard.

Reactions: beasleythecard
I watched UL in the MVC in the 60's and 70's. I remember them playing St. Josephs. Now that UL is in the ACC some people want to act like they have always played in a top notch conference. It just isn't so.
Well you have to gauge how difficult teams and schedules were in the context of when they played. San Francisco and Oklahoma A&M won back-to-back NCAA titles.

You also have to consider what is within a team's control. Did U of L turn down invites to play in the ACC and Big Ten while they were playing in CUSA? I don't recall that.

OTOH, LPT appears to be perfectly happy playing in one of the worst conferences in college basketball.

Last edited:
And this is the thread where we found out that Zipp listens to Kentucky wildcats radio shows. The same Zipp that claims the rivalry doesn't matter.
I love experiencing the misery of LPT fans and make no bones about that. There doesn't need to be head-to-head games to accomplish that. A miserable little game against freakin' Vandy works just fine.

Cincinati: 2x NCAA Tournament Champions, 6 Final Fours
Memphis: 2x Runner up, 3 Final Fours.
Georgia Tech: 1x Runner up, Final Fours.
Florida State: 1x Runner up, 1 Final Four.
Okay, see below:
G-Tech was in the Metro during the 76-78 seasons and in that time they did not get to a single final four and they certainly were never an NCAA runner up in that time, so I don't know why you are counting them. They did, however, make it to the 1960 NIT final….. When they were a member of, you guessed it, the SEC.
Also, I don't know why you are claiming Florida State either, they were a member of the Metro conference from 76 through 91, they got their one final four in 1972 when they were an independent .

Oh, one more thing, Cincinnati won their two titles in 61 and 62 when they were members of the Missouri Valley Conference (Louisville was an independent until 1967). So I don't know why you are claiming them either. Their final fours were 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 and 92, all but one occurred when they were in the Missouri Valley, they were part of the Great Midwest conference in 92.

So in reality, all you can claim is Memphis' accomplishments in 1985 and 2008 (they were in the MVC for the 73 season but for whatever reason, UL was a member of this conference in 72 and 74, but not 73). BTW, who coached that 2008 team that you now need to help your argument?

Syracuse is in the ACC. Syracuse was in the FF last year.

Jesus man. And these people are big "fans" of this sport. Reading these posts, you better not have a beverage in your hand while doing it.

The only sniffing going on around here is the glue you're using.

It's laughable to see you craft that novel showing your state of denial in regards to ACC basketball, and the make-up of the league as it is now comprised with the additions of ND, UofL, and SYR.

But it's comedy at the highest level when you can't even remember the PREVIOUS final four. We are laughing at you.

Next time you post, less words, less denial, just less of everything.
No, what's laughable is the fact that you are trying to deflect what he was saying. So he missed Syracuse being in the final four, but that doesn't take away from the point he was making.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. It's ironic to see people from a fanbase that has so much pride in following the history of the sport say things like Cincinnati never did anything in the sport.
I think you need to look where UC was when they accomplished their final fours and titles. Wikipedia reveals some truths that might interest you.
Or you can see my previous reply to you in this thread.

Last edited:
If my team just finished playing Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Vandy, and then an analyst said on the radio that the tough part of my team's conference schedule was over, I'd be too embarrassed to spout off on the message board of my arch-rival that also just beat my team a few weeks ago.

Maybe that's just me.
No reputable uk media member actually said that. UK has 2 games with Florida, one with South Carolina and a game at aTm plus the KU game, so whoever said that is not accurate.

That was over 20 years ago.

You said: "This seriously was never a topic"
I said: "Read this link"

Not sure what 20 years ha
Okay, see below:
G-Tech was in the Metro during the 76-78 seasons and in that time they did not get to a single final four and they certainly were never an NCAA runner up in that time, so I don't know why you are counting them. They did, however, make it to the 1960 NIT final….. When they were a member of, you guessed it, the SEC.
Also, I don't know why you are claiming Florida State either, they were a member of the Metro conference from 76 through 91, they got their one final four in 1972 when they were an independent .

Oh, one more thing, Cincinnati won their two titles in 61 and 62 when they were members of the Missouri Valley Conference (Louisville was an independent until 1967). So I don't know why you are claiming them either. Their final fours were 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 and 92, all but one occurred when they were in the Missouri Valley, they were part of the Great Midwest conference in 92.

So in reality, all you can claim is Memphis' accomplishments in 1985 and 2008 (they were in the MVC for the 73 season but for whatever reason, UL was a member of this conference in 72 and 74, but not 73). BTW, who coached that 2008 team that you now need to help your argument?

You're trying to have a discussion with me as if I made statements or an argument that I never made.

You asked: "what have any of those schools ever accomplished in cbb?"

I told you some of their accomplishments.

Your question is disparaging to those schools, which I find typical of many UK message board fans. I find that a lot of UK message board posters regularly disrespect other teams' accomplishments while expecting others to respect their own team's accomplishments. It makes it hard to show respect to some of the UK teams who have really admirable players and accomplishments, just because of the behavior of the UK fanbase.

How can you even suggest with that question that Cincinnati has never accomplished anything in college basketball. If you truly didn't know about their accomplishments I can understand that, but I doubt that's the case. If you knew about Cincinnati and asked that question anyway, that's insulting to the game. Cincinnati is a rival of UofL, but I respect what they did in the 1960's even though I wasn't alive to see it. They are a part of college basketball lore and those teams were amazing and great.

You made the "what have they ever accomplished" statement. It seems apparent that you looked a few things up after my post, and hopefully it's helped educate you in the accomplishments of some teams not named UK.

Reactions: earsky

You're trying to have a discussion with me as if I made statements or an argument that I never made.

Your question is disparaging to those schools, which I find typical of many UK message board fans. I find that a lot of UK message board posters regularly disrespect other teams' accomplishments while expecting others to respect their own team's accomplishments. It makes it hard to show respect to some of the UK teams who have really admirable players and accomplishments, just because of the behavior of the UK fanbase.

How can you even suggest with that question that Cincinnati has never accomplished anything in college basketball. If you truly didn't know about their accomplishments I can understand that, but I doubt that's the case. If you knew about Cincinnati and asked that question anyway, that's insulting to the game. Cincinnati is a rival of UofL, but I respect what they did in the 1960's even though I wasn't alive to see it. They are a part of college basketball lore and those teams were amazing and great.

You made the "what have they ever accomplished" statement. It seems apparent that you looked a few things up after my post, and hopefully it's helped educate you in the accomplishments of some teams not named UK.
I believe Zipp had originally said that we could have left the sec 10 years ago. This was not a topic 10 years ago. The article is from 20 years ago. I was a teenager 20 years ago so I'm not surprised if I missed it. I had other things on my mind.

I love experiencing the misery of LPT fans and make no bones about that. There doesn't need to be head-to-head games to accomplish that. A miserable little game against freakin' Vandy works just fine.

Riiiiiiiight. Lol

LOL, What?

I believe Zipp had originally said that we could have left the sec 10 years ago...
Check with Oscar Combs if you're intent on doing research. He claims to have long held that belief and still does.

that's insulting to the game. Cincinnati is a rival of UofL, but I respect what they did in the 1960's even though I wasn't alive to see it. They are a part of college basketball lore and those teams were amazing and great.
Right

Check with Oscar Combs if you're intent on doing research. He claims to have long held that belief and still does.

One dude's opinion doesn't make it a realistic possibility, or even a discussion. It is my opinion that I will someday ride a unicorn to Mars where I will be crowned king of space. nutbisbthis a realistic possibility?

Last edited:
One dude's opinion doesn't make it a realistic possibility, or even a discussion...
You said it was "not a topic 10 years ago." I gave you an example where it was, and not with an insignificant spokesman for LPT nation. In typical slapd!ck fashion, now you wanna change the narrative, to whether it rose to the level of "realistic" or a "discussion". I guess you'll soon be telling me the idea was voted down 51-49.

Face it... You're in a clown conference, most of your fanbase now recognizes it, and some are still asking "why?" You're a self-proclaimed basketball school playing in a conference that is, in reality, an embarrassment. Which is what you're also doing by continuing to argue these points.

You said it was "not a topic 10 years ago." I gave you an example where it was, and not with an insignificant spokesman for LPT nation. In typical slapd!ck fashion, now you wanna change the narrative, to whether it rose to the level of "realistic" or a "discussion". I guess you'll soon be telling me the idea was voted down 51-49.

Face it... You're in a clown conference, most of your fanbase now recognizes it, and some are still asking "why?" You're a self-proclaimed basketball school playing in a conference that is, in reality, an embarrassment. Which is what you're also doing by continuing to argue these points.

No you just gave me an example of when this was a topic over 20 years ago. 10 years ago would have been 2007. Was there ever a single serious discussion about Kentucky leaving the sec in 2007? Nope. I do vaguely remember that story coming from combs. But I don't listen to local sports radio shows. Wake me up when ESPN picks this up. But at any rate, fear not buddy. Kentucky won't be joining the ACC anytime soon.

Let's hold hands and say this together Zipp. The sec sucks as a conference in basketball. The one thing we agree on. So you can ease up reminding me every 5 seconds. Now let's come fuuuuuullll circle on this thread. Back to your genesis post. Kentucky doesn't need to be in a stronger conference to succeed in march. We do just fine in spite of our crap league. I think about 15 different argument branched off of this one.

...Let's hold hands and say this together Zipp...Kentucky doesn't need to be in a stronger conference to succeed in march. We do just fine in spite of our crap league. I think about 15 different argument branched off of this one.
That's because the premise of "doing just fine" is in reality racking up wins in that "crap conference" and falling short in March. That is, achieving goals short of winning a championship. Which is fine if you're one of the OTHER SEC teams or a G5 conference team, as examples. But definitely not elite.

Slappy's having a rough ride in this here old thread, lol. Once was, their emissaries for smack answers were informed and made reasonable arguments which were actually thought-provoking. Now, apparently all they have left is resentment.

Cincinati: 2x NCAA Tournament Champions, 6 Final Fours
Memphis: 2x Runner up, 3 Final Fours.
Georgia Tech: 1x Runner up, 2 Final Fours.
Florida State: 1x Runner up, 1 Final Four.

The hilarious part of Jape Neck Jeff's resentful contention ignores the constancy of UK fans upholding conference pride by pointing out the awesome Florida teams who won championships or the LUS and Arky teams who came close.

Funnier still is the comparative where Louisville - over the time in the Metro - won 2 titles, made a slew of FF's while UK spent 38 years between titles, winning one during the Metro period and making a real live Final Four.

I would think arguing about how terrible the Metro Conference was - especially at the time Denny Crum's OOC schedules were notorious for playing anyone, anywhere - is an interesting slog through UK's own most dismal zone. UK sucked compared to Louisville at the time, lol, a team we managed to leave out of the assessment of conference strength, lol.

It was a WLAP slappy... But in fairness, it's likely tough to look at the LPT conference schedule and tell which part is easy and hard.

How can one not want to hear Chris from Richmond?? LOL, he may be the only interesting export from the entirety of Central Kaintuck.

Reactions: zipp
No, what's laughable is the fact that you are trying to deflect what he was saying. So he missed Syracuse being in the final four, but that doesn't take away from the point he was making.

I didn't deflect anything his post was horrible and made him look like a fool and if you think screwing up facts makes solid arguing points you are just as dense as he is, if not worse.

No, what's laughable is the fact that you are trying to deflect what he was saying.

Actually, the more I think about this, what is laughable is your reading comprehension skills are so limited you didn't notice I directly refuted his silly little point - not by pointing out to him that he forgot about Syracuse, which was more egg on the face funny than anything else really. His point attacked the "former" ACC which is pretty much irrelevant now and pointed out he was in denial in regards to how the ACC is NOW comprised. So there was no deflection. His point was awful.

What made it worse was his triple down. He wrote a novel, and he forgot Syracuse made the FF last year as a member of the NOW comprised ACC.

Chops your fingers off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT