ADVERTISEMENT

Lamar passing

An
Lamar finished 20-35 for 307 yards with 3 TDs and 1 INT. His QB rating was a ridiculous 153.4.

Probably our best performer of the day on either side of the ball.
And the INT was not really his fault. The commentator pointed out that Quick was in good position when Lamar let the ball go.

Just keep in mind that the stats you used included 7 scores against a bad FCS opponent. Bolin hasn't been afforded the same opportunity against a layup opponent.

Anyways I am a big Petrino fan and think Lamar Jackson is supremely talented. I just don't understand the offense we are running. If this year is about growth and learning why not run the power spread?
Then, start thread after thread on the subject instead of veiled hate-the-offense posts about the quarterback position, our effort against FSU, etc.

If you're unhappy, just tell us why you're unhappy...

Then, start thread after thread on the subject instead of veiled hate-the-offense posts about the quarterback position, our effort against FSU, etc.

Clearly he's unhappy that Tom Jurich got us in the ACC - lol...

I'm very happy, aside from this Katina Powell crap. Anyways, I have concerns about the offense we are running. I have been very clear that I think that the most effective offense is the Petrino developed power spread. I don't understand why we are running the zone read. The only conclusion I can come up with is that Petrino is so enamored with Lamar Jackson's talents that he has abandoned his traditional offense in favor of one that Jackson is comfortable with. That is a reasonable way to go if you assume that the team isn't better off using someone who can handle the power spread. I would argue that Bolin is probably capable but hasn't been afforded the opportunity to draw a firm conclusion.

I'm very happy, aside from this Katina Powell crap. Anyways, I have concerns about the offense we are running. I have been very clear that I think that the most effective offense is the Petrino developed power spread. I don't understand why we are running the zone read. The only conclusion I can come up with is that Petrino is so enamored with Lamar Jackson's talents that he has abandoned his traditional offense in favor of one that Jackson is comfortable with. That is a reasonable way to go if you assume that the team isn't better off using someone who can handle the power spread. I would argue that Bolin is probably capable but hasn't been afforded the opportunity to draw a firm conclusion.

Well, this thread's about Lamar Jackson specifically. So how about we stay on young Lamar and handle your offensive scheme subject in another thread of your origin? I'll be glad to participate in that one too!...

So - based on that type of thinking - what's the plan for next year when Jawon Pass comes in? He's rated higher by everyone than Jackson. I guess it's time for Lamar to pick up a clipboard?
LJ throws an incredible deep ball, even while on the run. He just needs to focus every okay-even the short throws. We'll be OK.

LJ throws an incredible deep ball, even while on the run. He just needs to focus every okay-even the short throws. We'll be OK.

You think so? Based on my memory alone, every interception he's thrown has been a deep ball. He may be able to throw it far, but his aim is off on the long ones.

Wrong & inaccurate.

We've scored points on 25% of our possessions this year with Kyle Bolin at QB. That's 24 points in 16 possessions or 1.5 points per possession. With Lamar Jackson at QB, we have scored 21 times on 48 possessions (43%), precisely 2.6 points per possession.

A sector of our fanbase didn't want him starting early on because he ran it too much, did too much all himself, and didn't pass it downfield like Kyle would. Forget the fact that he ran for over 100 yards 3 times, and 5TDs, with very limited blocking. Not good enough. They wanted him to pass it.

So, on Saturday, against a top-10 team on the road, he threw for 300+ yards, 3 TDs, had a QPR of over 150, and led his team to 21 points on 10 possessions (2.1 points per possession). Pretty damn awesome for an 18-yr old true freshman. But some still don't like him. I just don't get it.

We have an absolute stud freshman recruit come to Louisville, who is remarkably productive right out of the gate, despite an atrocious oline and several true freshmen running routes for him, and he scares the hell out of DCs with his explosive abilities, and we still want to whine and bitch and wonder why Petrino is running read option plays. Yep, I really don't get it.
Here's 2 clues: its a social issue and we live in the south.

Just keep in mind that the stats you used included 7 scores against a bad FCS opponent. Bolin hasn't been afforded the same opportunity against a layup opponent.

Anyways I am a big Petrino fan and think Lamar Jackson is supremely talented. I just don't understand the offense we are running. If this year is about growth and learning why not run the power spread?

Then remove those Samford stats. When you do, his scoring % is still higher than Kyle's, and all of Kyle's possessions were in the friendly confines of PJCS, while LJ's would be vs Houston, @NC St, @FSU, and Auburn at neutral site, but in front of a noisy pro-Auburn crowd. Use their career numbers, LJ is better.

...Bolin hasn't been afforded the same opportunity against a layup opponent...
This is my biggest point. Bolin's opportunities have been more limited and against Clemson,arguably a top 5 defense nationally.
ajg has tried to educate you guys, albeit with a different set of data...

So far, U of L has played three Top 25 defenses this year. Jackson played QB against NC State (#3 total defense @ 248 ypg) and FSU (#24 @ 326 ypg), and Bolin played against Clemson (#10 @ 282). Our total offensive numbers against NCSU, FSU, and Clemson were 306, 406, and 272 yards, respectively.

The offense under Jackson recorded 123% (NCSU) and 125% (FSU) of what those teams normally allow. Under Bolin, we achieved 96% of what Clemson normally allows.

In my opinion, that is the kind of data that Petrino looks at to base a decision. He sees that the offense does better with Jackson esp. against good teams. Bolin has executed well against teams of the quality of LPT (#54 defense) and Houston (#55), but that's not gonna cut it when your schedule is #2 in the RPI.

This obsession with Bolin is factually unsupported. If you don't like Petrino's offensive scheme, that should be your focus...

Zipp,I'm not arguing with the numbers ,but the amount of reps.I'm merely saying Petrino abandoned ship on Bolin after 1 game against a very good defense.I wonder only if he were given more chances,would his improvement have been much quicker than LJ's.

Zipp,I'm not arguing with the numbers ,but the amount of reps.I'm merely saying Petrino abandoned ship on Bolin after 1 game against a very good defense.I wonder only if he were given more chances,would his improvement have been much quicker than LJ's.

That really wouldn't matter, because Jackson as a true freshman has a strong arm and elite sprinters speed. Bolin as a redshirt sophomore has developed into a good QB, but anyone can watch the two in the games they have played and see that one QB is a future NFL draft pick while the other is not.

And also keep in mind that Petrino has watched Bolin not just in games but for 20 months. Bolin had all of that time to convince Petrino that he was "the guy". So it's definitely not like Petrino pulled the plug without giving him multiple opportunities to win the job.

Just wait til next year. Jackson will be a Heisman contender. Having spring ball and summer with boost this kid's ability next year along with the weapons coming back. Offensive chemistry is going to be scary good

Guys before we anoint Jackson with a heisman award and a nfl contract, because he could do one or the other or both, let's think the latest trend of NFL QBs. Michael Vick is probably the most notable QBs with a similar style and his career is about over. Now look at the Mannings, Brady, rivers, rothelisburger etc. even Rodgers and Luck are more pocket passers now. The reason? You can't sustain durability as a running QB in the NFL even with all the rules to protect. Cam newton is a running back in a QB body. Guys like kapernick, Vince young, griffin III, have all struggled. Guys like Vick, Randall Cunningham, Donovan McNabb and daunte culpepper all suffered major injuries. Just a thought.

Yeah Russell Wilson too lol. He's doing just fine. How bout you name some bad "pocket" qbs. Jay Cutler, Matt Stafford, Curt Cousins etc

It all Boils down to coaching. Bobby knows what he's doing. He seen Bolin for 2 years and Lamar only 2 months before starting a 18 yr old freshman over a 21 yr old sophomore. Lamar potential and talent is just better. The reason I said Heisman is you ppl forget Lamar has only been in Louisville for 4 months. Damn wait to judge him after year 2

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT