ADVERTISEMENT

Lack Of Handles

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
I know there are other problems besides this, but it just seems like most of our players lack good handles with the basketball. It's a bad thing when you almost cringe every time most of the guys try to dribble and you can see a turnover coming a mile away.

It would help Sam, Dre, Cross, and Withers a ton if they were capable at it. Instead, they always lose the ball or get stripped after more than two dribbles. Happens every game.

Even some of our guards are not great at it with Ellis bouncing the ball off his own feet twice in a row and Locke not too great either. West has a good handle but dribbles too much sometimes.

Yeah, this is the main problem with the offense. Withers dribbles way to high and Sam still struggles with the left hand. Locke and Cross both are inferior with their off hand as well.

I think Ellis just gets a little anxious sometimes but he has the best handle of the guards.

This team is defined more by what they can't do well than what they do well on offense, and that is a losing proposition.

Cards have virtually no post play, despite having three big men. There's no power forward at all. Withers hangs out on the perimeter.

The wing forwards have a poor handle and 3 point shooting. Louisville has only one reliable front court player with Malik. That's it. The Cards offensive problem is the front court.

There's plenty of guards, big and small. If the front court ever starts to perform, the season may not be lost. But if that continues we won't even be on the bubble.

Ball handling rear a lot of hard work over and over and over again. Still remember how poor Text was his first two years.

Yeah I remember old Text… uh no I don’t. Who the heck is Text?
I am guessing his laptop or cell phone auto-corrected him. He probably typed Siva or Peyton, because his first couple years he really struggled, and he's referencing how ball handling requires practice/experience.

I could be wrong but this is my guess!

Cards have virtually no post play, despite having three big men. There's no power forward at all. Withers hangs out on the perimeter.

The wing forwards have a poor handle and 3 point shooting. Louisville has only one reliable front court player with Malik. That's it. The Cards offensive problem is the front court.
The zero post play is killer for a team dependent on the 3 point shot but that is bad at making 3s.

Hard to believe not one of our bigs has developed at least a baby hook shot or some kind of go to post move to use in a pinch. The opponent knows they don't have to really guard or ever double our bigs in the post so it's harder to play inside out in order to make a pass to an open 3 point shooter.

To be fair to Withers, he hangs out on the perimeter because it's what's being asked of him, since it's a 4 in 1 out system. However, he lacks the handles to be a stretch 4 in this system which IMO is one reason he played so much better last season staying in the post.

The zero post play is killer for a team dependent on the 3 point shot but that is bad at making 3s.

Hard to believe not one of our bigs has developed at least a baby hook shot or some kind of go to post move to use in a pinch. The opponent knows they don't have to really guard or ever double our bigs in the post so it's harder to play inside out in order to make a pass to an open 3 point shooter.

To be fair to Withers, he hangs out on the perimeter because it's what's being asked of him, since it's a 4 in 1 out system. However, back to the thread topic, he lacks the handles to be a stretch 4 in this system which IMO is one reason he played so much better last season staying in the post.
I think it is worth repeating. Withers is on record going to Mack and telling him he’s not comfortable playing with his back to the basket because that’s not what’s in the best interest professionally…

that’s the problem with the portal, it gives the players all or at least some leverage if they don’t get what they want… Back in the day, you did what the coach told you to do and you liked it!

Reactions: shadow force
I think it is worth repeating. Withers is on record going to Mack and telling him he’s not comfortable playing with his back to the basket because that’s not what’s in the best interest professionally…
Yeah Withers did say that after having to play center last season. I'd forgotten that. I can see both Withers and Macks point of view but you can see every game that Withers is trying to do things he just isn't capable of due to his lack of skillset. It leaves him with out a defined role that suits his tools.

At this point it wouldn't bother me at all if both Withers and Williamson entered the portal. They are huge disappointments.

Reactions: shutterbug
that’s the problem with the portal, it gives the players all or at least some leverage if they don’t get what they want… Back in the day, you did what the coach told you to do and you liked it!

Screw the threat of the portal with ANY guy on this roster. Withers? See ya! Williamson? See ya! Etc, Etc. I lose zero sleep losing any player on this roster. I got news for Withers, his current game is not what’s in his best interest professionally!!!

Going back to having two bigs inside, depending on matchups, would be ideal for Withers and probably Curry.

I seem to remember last season when Malik briefly came back, that he and Withers playing inside together looks pretty darn good. This 4 in 1 out run and gun style does none of our current guys any favors.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT