ADVERTISEMENT

KY derby basketball classic

uncfan in ky

No-Ranking Prospect
Oct 23, 2008
Have the rosters been announced yet? If so, does anybody have a link to them. I did a quick google search but couldn't find one for 2016.

I have been wondering the same thing. Normally the rosters are out in early or mid-March. Kind of strange the game is in 2 weeks and we still don't know who is playing in it.

Our walk-on is playing in it now so there is one UofL player in it. The roster is out and it's juss turable. :eek:

Can't believe how far down this game has gone. It is the longest running All Star game in the country that has went down the toilet because of the whole Nike takeover garbage.

Reactions: awf
I look forward to this game every year and have been going to it since I was a child (over 20 years). This is without a doubt the worst roster of players ever. To give you an idea, in 2014 there were 14 top 50 players, (3 more ranked between 51-54), 4 top 25 players all of which were 5 star recruits.

In 2015, there was 1 top 10 player, 3 top 25 and 13 ranked in the top 50.

This year, one 5 star and just three top 50 players. There are more walk-ons in the game then top 25 players. (Rivals Rankings). The thing I don't understand is as I look at the Rivals Top 150, there are a ton of talented players ranked 25-50 that didn;t play in the McDonalds AA game or the Jordan game. Can't figure out how they couldn't pool in more talent.

I'm still planning on going of course lol. Gotta support it. BTW, all the research was done while bored out of my mind at work

I have attended many Derby Classic games. Bottom line - the shoe companies have killed this game along with the two-game player limit the NCAA placed on the players. This eliminates the UL, IU & kitty connection to this game. I'll be shocked if this game survives another 5-10 yrs. which is a real shame. I believe the game I attended with LaBradford Smith and Jerome Harmon had 17-18,000 in attendance.

There is no more two game limit. I don't know if there is any way to obtain a waiver, but moving it to the YUM and not scheduling it opposite the JBC would give it a chance to attract some hamburger boys and players going to local schools.

Some one said invite the best juniors

That would be a good idea, not sure how legal though. Invite some of the top junior targets of UofL, UK, and IU to play against seniors. THe McDonalds and Jordan game is on national TV, so no way the Derby classic can compete with that.

The game cannot be played at The Yum Center, it is not allowed under NCAA rules.

The game cannot be played at The Yum Center, it is not allowed under NCAA rules.

Is that a recent ruling? Because the Derby Classic HAS been played at The Yum Center before. Don't remember the year, but I was there for it.

Is that a recent ruling? Because the Derby Classic HAS been played at The Yum Center before. Don't remember the year, but I was there for it.
It is somewhat recent since it came down after the Yum opened. I don't remember when, but I remember reading about the ban.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT