ADVERTISEMENT

KSR at it again

We should have let UK have 2 or 3 weeks off before last year's game, moved our ND game to the day before instead of the week before, and used our punter @ QB instead of the 3rd string QB that hadn't played one meaningful minute of D1 football prior.

Now there's a few salient points.

Extrapolation at it's finest here. They think they are big time laughing at us. Not really.
With UK fans such as Pike, it is not good enough to suspect things are improving. Oh no, lol, it's that UK is about to resume it;s rightful place as "dominant". The entire "dominant" theme in UK sports results from a basketball team that routinely wins 80% of games in a distracted hoops conference in front of hundreds of fans, historically. They therefore view all sports through a prism of dominance and dominance only.

It is why they flail so sadly when UofL "resumes its rightful place as dominant" in the state in the sport of football. With Western clearly ahead of UK in respect and accomplishment, UK should aspire to be second best, first.

Small steps, smalls.

My point was that if we were such a terrible team last year and still only lost to you by 4 at UL..that doesn't make your team look very good. And God knows that can't be the case because in your mind you are a college football heavy weigh year in and year out these days. Got the point now
Well, how good were we in 2005 WRT LPT? Or did U of L suddenly get a lot better in 2006?

More importantly--which SHOULD be your point--how good a predictor was the 2005 game for the result in 2006? Not good from what I can tell.

LPT Football: But we're in the SEC...

I think the reason some UK fans are so delusional about their football team's prospects is because of what their basketball team does. Their confidence in the basketball team bleeds over into football delusion. It's hard to turn that off.

They can't look at their team as the 2nd worst in the SEC and that they only became 2nd worst when Vandy got much worse with a coaching change, not when UK got better.

They always look at their schedule and see all these "winnable" games when most of the fans of those "beatable" teams see UK as the easy W. It's because UK fans have the basketball glasses on, and they know UK's not Alabama or Ohio State, but they can't be THAT bad, right? They're Kentucky!

So we will always see what appear to be bold, somewhat delusional predictions. Easy wins over Florida and UofL are predicted. When someone like Bozich comes along and agrees, it just feeds the delusional fires even more.

Someday, UK will probably put together a Bowl team again. But until that day comes, the rest of the country is going to be understandably skeptical. UK hasn't earned anything else.

I think the reason some UK fans are so delusional about their football team's prospects is because of what their basketball team does. Their confidence in the basketball team bleeds over into football delusion. It's hard to turn that off.

Some truth in that.

Basketball is so much easier to predict, especially in the off season. It's 5 on 5, w/ a few key reserves, and it's truly a sport where history repeats itself. Sure there is some parity but the season is much longer and typically many pre-season projections end up being accurate. The tourney crapshoot will provide a few outliers, but not all that many. And when they talk of their expectations given their track record at least it's sensical.

But the bravado on the game played outside in pads? I just don't get it.

Football is just more wide open. The # of elite programs is deeper. On the field, there's 3 team units, more guys on the field, just so many more variables in play - it's really hard to be for sure how it will go for many teams. The games are so close at times, and the season is so condensed. There's some parity from coast to coast but with so few games it's hard to firmly get a handle on it all.

It's hard to fathom so many of their fans swinging through handing out big boy lectures when the last year they finished ranked in a poll is the same year Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Wanna Have fun was a #1 hit.

With Pitino Lite, they also overestimate the value of recruiting and underestimate the value of actual coaching.

LPT Football: Can he "coach" football?...

Recruiting plays a huge part of College football as well.
The top schools year in and year out are also in the top of recruiting rankings.
Nick Saban is considered one of, if not the best coach in the Country. Yet at MSU he wasn't setting the world on fire.
It wasn't until he got to LSU did we start to see how great he was, and that also coincides with LSU's and BAMA's recruiting.

Recruiting plays a huge part of College football as well. The top schools year in and year out are also in the top of recruiting rankings...
That's called losing track of cause and effect.

You can explain why schools like TCU, Baylor, Wisconsin, and Michigan State don't usually land great recruiting classes while getting it done on the field anyway.

That damn "C" word.

LPT Football: Please stop saying it...

The C word also impacts current history. Petrino has at least twice either cultivated or inherited classes which graded out in the Top Ten, retrospectively. It's how we lose 10 guys to the pros in one year and 19 players off the 2003 team played or still play in the pros.

It also affects the optimism of a fan base who sees this development on a routine basis. Can we reload? Hey, lol, why not?

That's called losing track of cause and effect.

You can explain why schools like TCU, Baylor, Wisconsin, and Michigan State don't usually land great recruiting classes while getting it done on the field anyway.

That damn "C" word.

LPT Football: Please stop saying it...

Those schools have had several years of solid recruiting, Stoops has had 2 years. There is no reasonable way you can come to the conclusion he can't coach. Especially when the team gained in wins in those two years.

Those schools have had several years of solid recruiting, Stoops has had 2 years. There is no reasonable way you can come to the conclusion he can't coach. Especially when the team gained in wins in those two years.
Now we have to prove your Stoops can't coach? Might as well prove there aren't pink dragons.

This should be the end of a ridiculous debate, when one side has to prove a negative.

It's simple: Cayuts had 2 moral victories last yr instead of one. Can't argue with that kind of proof.

UK Football: You can't see it, but we're a lot better. Just trust us

The best proof that Stupes can't coach is the LPT defense since he arrived. It's gotten worse. And he's an ex-defensive coordinator.

But EZ's right... LPT fans have no proof he CAN coach. All they have is hope, which is the same place U of L was at back in 2007.

LPT Football: He better coach better than K-rag...

The best proof that Stupes can't coach is the LPT defense since he arrived. It's gotten worse. And he's an ex-defensive coordinator.

But EZ's right... LPT fans have no proof he CAN coach. All they have is hope, which is the same place U of L was at back in 2007.

LPT Football: He better coach better than K-rag...
Someone please use his decision to single cover Devante last year was a stroke of defensive genius.

He may prove in the end to be a failure, I don't know. But I don't believe 2 years where the team record improved and recruiting is picking up is a sign of failure up to this point.
This notion that Parker was single covered the whole game is sprouted and grown legs the past couple of weeks on this site.
Parker is a stud plain and simple, there's a reason he was drafted so high.

I'm old school in that I don't think it's fair to start judging a coach until after their 3rd year. Having said that, there's really not a lot of signs that Stoops is improving them significantly on the field.

It's a fact UK won more games last year than in Stoops' first year. Looking at that fact without the context is deceiving. They removed WKU, a team that had beaten them the two prior years. And Vanderbilt and SC were both horrible. Did UK really improve or did the competition just get worse? We know the competition got worse. So where does that leave UK? I'd argue it's not good enough to show significant improvement.

UK "almost" beat Florida and Louisville. But Florida's season was so subpar they changed coaches after the season. Louisville, UK played really, really hard to try to get into a Bowl. UofL was forced to play a 3rd string QB who had very little experience. And UofL still won.

That along with improved recruiting is really all the positive signs. Then start looking at the end of season swoons in both of Stoops' seasons. It's not hard to make a blanket statement that they quit in the last month of both seasons - minus the UofL game at the end. And they were getting torched by some teams, another negative sign. You maybe don't expect to see signs with Stoops yet, but some of those teams were naming their own final score. A sign of improvement is a competitive score, not losing 50-16 to a rebuilding Tennessee team.

I think before I believe Stoops is really turning them around in a significant way, not just minor improvement, I'm going to need to see UK beat a Top 25 team that finishes in a Bowl, and for UK to get to a bowl themselves. Until then I, and most of the country outside of Kentucky, will remain skeptical.

Reactions: Mayoman
I'm old school in that I don't think it's fair to start judging a coach until after their 3rd year. Having said that, there's really not a lot of signs that Stoops is improving them significantly on the field.

It's a fact UK won more games last year than in Stoops' first year. Looking at that fact without the context is deceiving. They removed WKU, a team that had beaten them the two prior years. And Vanderbilt and SC were both horrible. Did UK really improve or did the competition just get worse? We know the competition got worse. So where does that leave UK? I'd argue it's not good enough to show significant improvement.

UK "almost" beat Florida and Louisville. But Florida's season was so subpar they changed coaches after the season. Louisville, UK played really, really hard to try to get into a Bowl. UofL was forced to play a 3rd string QB who had very little experience. And UofL still won.

That along with improved recruiting is really all the positive signs. Then start looking at the end of season swoons in both of Stoops' seasons. It's not hard to make a blanket statement that they quit in the last month of both seasons - minus the UofL game at the end. And they were getting torched by some teams, another negative sign. You maybe don't expect to see signs with Stoops yet, but some of those teams were naming their own final score. A sign of improvement is a competitive score, not losing 50-16 to a rebuilding Tennessee team.

I think before I believe Stoops is really turning them around in a significant way, not just minor improvement, I'm going to need to see UK beat a Top 25 team that finishes in a Bowl, and for UK to get to a bowl themselves. Until then I, and most of the country outside of Kentucky, will remain skeptical.

Kentucky also were down a touchdown to Miss St(then #1 in the country) until an a last minute onside kick went for a touchdown. We also lost AT missouri by 10 and had plenty of chances to make that game closer. Still loses..and i agree with you that UK needs to get over the hump and win games on the field before we can truly say they are getting more than marginally better.
But it's pretty clear that a higher level of athelete is coming to UK under Stoops. We've beat the recruiting ranking to death. It takes time to turn 18 and 19 year old football players into men that can win in the SEC. But we are absolutely on the right path and UK fans are confident of what the future holds.

Something no one really addresses is the fact UK is controlling the State of kentucky recruiting and regularly beating UL for recruits both want more often then not. that will make a major difference on the field in time.

Yes because Kentucky is such a hotbed of hs FB talent. Especially rural Kentucky. You've always "controlled the state." Just more regurgitated blather from you

Kentucky also were down a touchdown to Miss St(then #1 in the country) until an a last minute onside kick went for a touchdown. We also lost AT missouri by 10 and had plenty of chances to make that game closer. Still loses..and i agree with you that UK needs to get over the hump and win games on the field before we can truly say they are getting more than marginally better.
But it's pretty clear that a higher level of athelete is coming to UK under Stoops. We've beat the recruiting ranking to death. It takes time to turn 18 and 19 year old football players into men that can win in the SEC. But we are absolutely on the right path and UK fans are confident of what the future holds.

Something no one really addresses is the fact UK is controlling the State of kentucky recruiting and regularly beating UL for recruits both want more often then not. that will make a major difference on the field in time.
Moral Victory U!

Pike fails to point out UK almost lost to USC. But hey since UK won it doesn't matter how close it was.

Pike points out UK only lost to Missouri by 10. But Pike fails to point out UK only beat Vandy by 10.

This is how it works

There are always close games both ways.

Eight home games next year, with a couple potential Ws on the road. Cats should be bowling if they are really improving. Hey maybe they will be.

Yet, I am fairly certain we will be having the same discussion this time next year about a 5 win team.

More than likely they will steal a win @ home vs one of the decent teams coming in. But they don't have too.

Great! More warnings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayoman
Pike, you didn't mention that Georgia's punter never saw the field against you, and a 7-6 Tennessee team beat your team down. Go look at the statistics of our game with you guys and you can see that it shouldn't have been a lot more than a 4 point game, and if you only look at the turnovers and blocked punt you would have to ask yourself how a team with all of those gifts could still lose. The talent and coaching are still non comparable but it is good that you guys do believe in your team...

And to add a little more, UK played a bad MAC team and 2 fcs teams in the 5-1 start, the last 6 games the average score was them losing 44-22, and that is going against several teams playing its 3rd stringers most of the 2nd half.

I could argue some of your points Mike, but they've been heard ad nauseum.
Overall I agree though theyve
Pike, you didn't mention that Georgia's punter never saw the field against you, and a 7-6 Tennessee team beat your team down. Go look at the statistics of our game with you guys and you can see that it shouldn't have been a lot more than a 4 point game, and if you only look at the turnovers and blocked punt you would have to ask yourself how a team with all of those gifts could still lose. The talent and coaching are still non comparable but it is good that you guys do believe in your team...

That 7-6 Tennessee team ended the season on a roll and many predict them to win the SEC East this year. The stats from the Louisville game are skewed offensively due to turnovers creating short fields. UGA took it to us.

The talent is now comparable between UofL and UK, Petrino is a proven coach where Stoops isn't proven yet as a head coach.

And to add a little more, UK played a bad MAC team and 2 fcs teams in the 5-1 start, the last 6 games the average score was them losing 44-22, and that is going against several teams playing its 3rd stringers most of the 2nd half.

Which teams played 3rd stringers most of the second half?

Louisville vs UK 2014
First downs
UofL 22
UK 14

Total yards
UofL 472
UK 327

Louisville vs UK 2014
First downs
UofL 22
UK 14

Total yards
UofL 472
UK 327

Got it...Let me summarize the UL fans position...UK didn't improve at all last year from the previous year or even from when Joker was there.....you think UL's talent is far superior to UK's and will forever stay that way.... and Stoops can't develop his players, implement a successful gameplan or make in game coaching decisions...

I wonder what the though process will be when we win in Lexington this year..

Again, short fields caused by turnovers and a blocked punt can skew offensive stats.

Two of those UofL's 4 turnovers resulted in instant scores, meaning no short field, no skewing of UK's offensive stats, and mere seconds off the clock. Now we're back to 2 turnovers per team. And one of UK's turnovers was returned to the UK 2 yard line. Now we're talking about a real short field scoring opportunity...which we didn't take, BTW. That's right, BMFP let time run out at the UK 1 yard line; a fact I never hear mentioned when discussing how close the final score was.

Last edited:
Got it...Let me summarize the UL fans position...UK didn't improve at all last year from the previous year or even from when Joker was there.....you think UL's talent is far superior to UK's and will forever stay that way.... and Stoops can't develop his players, implement a successful gameplan or make in game coaching decisions...

I would not go that far. I think many fans expect a tough ball game this year, it's not like last year's game wasn't.

In all seriousness, if UK has improved, then they should probably win the game this year since Louisville lost half their starting lineup to the NFL. The Cats should get 7 or 8 wins @ a minimum, and a brief review of their schedule says the Louisville game should be a win.

What people have a problem with around here is that last line in your post. The sense of ego and entitlement from a fan of a team that hasn't finished a season ranked since Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper came out. We beat you w/ a 3rd string guy after a big road win @ South Bend while your team was @ home resting up on the bye. You guys lost 6 straight to close the season and have lost four in a row head-to-head yet many of you are over here handing out the lectures.

UK has 4 hand out wins, with a # of other possible wins if you just go by the improvement theory which I'm not dismissing. So this means I expect to see a # of your kind, including you big guy! I expect to see lots of blue on our football message board this year with the "I told ya so" style.

Who knows. Maybe even a couple of those blowhard bball posters that vomit on themselves on our bball board will swing through too!!!!

It's a lot like what Mikes Marbles said - you guys are the real deal in bball and the ego carries over into a sport where you're on par with IU and Wash St types.

UK is closing ground?

UofL
22 first downs
492 yds

UK

UofL

UK

UofL

UK

If you guys see improvement last year then good for you guys. I see one team basically shooting itself in the foot and still winning...without Teddy even

As much as I love a debate, part of me says "why deprive these LPT football fans of their annual preseason delusions?" Better to let them go 100 MPH into September thinking "this time it's different".

We should want them flying as high as possible so that 100 MPH is also the speed at which they crash to earth.

LPT Football: Heading full speed in some direction...

Reactions: atiba
Two of those UofL's 4 turnovers resulted in instant scores, meaning no short field, no skewing of UK's offensive stats, and mere seconds off the clock. Now we're back to 2 turnovers per team. And one of UK's turnovers was returned to the UK 2 yard line. Now we're talking about a real short field scoring opportunity...which we didn't take, BTW. That's right, BMFP let time run out at the UK 1 yard line; a fact I never hear mentioned when discussing how close the final score was.

Sure it does Steelers, it it keeps the UK defense on the field longer, and also removes offensive series for UK. All those factors play a part in stats.

Fact of the matter stats aside is that UofL was better than UK last year, and that game will have little to no bearing on this years game.

it it keeps the UK defense on the field longer, and also removes offensive series for UK. .

UK's O had 16 chances on 3rd down to keep the UK D off the field but only converted 3 of them. That's the elephant in the room.

UofL went 7 for 14.

Games aren't always won between the 20s but if you're looking to explain the stats of yards 3rd downs are a major factor if there aren't a bunch of big plays - which... there weren't.

Sure it does Steelers, it it keeps the UK defense on the field longer, and also removes offensive series for UK. All those factors play a part in stats.

Fact of the matter stats aside is that UofL was better than UK last year, and that game will have little to no bearing on this years game.

UofL possessed the ball exactly 2:10 of game time longer than UK. Is your stance that those 2:10 put your defense at a disadvantage? Also, don't those short fields, of which both teams had 2, also allow your offense time to rest as well?

...Fact of the matter stats aside is that UofL was better than UK last year, and that game will have little to no bearing on this years game.

2005: Louisville 31, LPT 24
2006: Louisville 59, LPT 28

100% agree with LPT Bill.

LPT Football: That's not what Bill meant...

2005: Louisville 31, LPT 24
2006: Louisville 59, LPT 28

100% agree with LPT Bill.

LPT Football: That's not what Bill meant...

Or
1998: UK 68, UofL 34
1999: UofL 58, UK 29

That's a 63 point swing. Fortunes CAN change hands dramatically. I'm guessing that IS what Bill meant.

What Bill and other LPT fans mean is that last year's game was close, and "we're getting closer!"

Oops!

LPT Football: Did you hear about our better wifi access?...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT