ADVERTISEMENT

KSR at it again

So you don't think that not being ready to play and getting a fifth year go hand in hand?? So basically you are using the fact UK is redshirting a lot of current recruits as evidence that their recruits must not be very good. Otherwise they would be playing right away. You are a conclusion in search of evidence. You do realize that recruits coming in are 18 years old and will be playing against grown men that are 21 or 22 years old that have been in a college weight program for several years, right? So, the vast majority of Linemen and many other positions still redshirt across college football. Even very good programs do this. Regardless of your snappy one liners. That is fact. The fact UK is doing this is a very good thing for the future of the program. Not an indictment against them.

you certainly have a talent for know everything about everything when you clearly don't know jack about football. Hey...take a look at your linemen recruits the last two years....you do realize EVERY ONE of your OL and DL that weren't from a junior college redshirted...don't you. I don't feel like wasting the time to look at the other positions you brought in(because you'll come up with some nonsense either way). Are these guys just no talent guys because they redshirted?? I just read a thread a while back from a UL poster lamenting the bad luck of needing to play Jamon Brown and John Miller as true freshman instead of redshirting them(your Left Tackle and Guard respectively last year in case you didn't know). the premise of the thread was that your OLine would be night and day different this year if you could have redshirted these players thus providing them a 5th year. But according to you it would have been worthless to have these two players that were drafted in the NFL for another year...

Missouri by the way had about 75 of the 85 scholarship players on their roster the last two years get Redshirts and they won the SEC East the last two years. But nobody does that anymore and is successful with it....

Then again UK never has to replace 16 guys who signed NFL contracts in one year.

it just eats you up Zipp, why? What do you care if UK Redshirts an entire class, I mean that's the whole point of your argument, to try and short change UK's class. I don't understand the utter hate you have for a college program.
I don't hate anything, but I come close when the bull$hit spewing from an LPT fan is involved...

Never ending apologizing for historical ineptitude that would have brought the Lombardi Packers to their knees. If it wasn't program mismanagement or Joker's recruiting, it's now the need to redshirt systematically like "all of the good programs do".

"That's why we're not good yet...but it's coming!"

You LPT guys are so full of $hit, I don't know how you contain it all. I just have to keep reminding myself that I don't want any of that to change. Spewing bull$hit guarantees the status quo.

LPT Football: Doing the same thing and expecting...

Reactions: SeedCracker
Hell, let's just go back and link the independent source...

REDSHIRTING ON THE DECLINE

...for LPT fans with comprehension issues. Not that denial will remain just a river in Egypt.

LPT Football: Facts never stop us...

Reactions: SeedCracker
Bill, Zipp will argue with a rock. We have had so many idiot UK posters over here that he doesn't see the difference anymore. Hell Zipp argues with his fellow UofL fans. You have to lean when to disengage.
And when we need a traffic cop to clear the intersection, badge no. 1963 is the one to call...

Full of $hit? You're using an article written instead of what actually happens on each and every campus, including the team you root for. An article is not a fact, a fact is that every college team does and will continue to red shirt players.
There are some kids that are physically and mentally ready to play as true freshman. But to act like red shirting is somehow a sign that a player isn't up to snuff is silly. Good thing is we'll get to see the results soon

It's fact... Good players play. Evidently and only at LPT do good players redshirt.

LPT Football: Doing things differently...

It's fact... Good players play. Evidently and only at LPT do good players redshirt.

LPT Football: Doing things differently...

Reading is clearly a challenge...UL redshirt ed ALL of your non junior college lineman in the last two years...so according to you they must not be any good because "good players play". .

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't matter if they redshirt or not when it comes to being eligible for the draft. Redshirt soph or Junior they are both 3 yrs removed from HS and can be drafted.

For the past several seasons UL has had a ton of guys that were drafted.
Hopefully we will get to that level every season.

Your link to the previous Louisville roster proves the point. Most of the names with the RS designation indicate players who were injured, transfers, special cases (one player who had a family tragedy) or others who will likely never be primary contributors for Louisville.

I didn't count all the redshirts, but you had 13 rs freshman. They weren't all injured and you have no idea how they are going to turn out as players.

Among the freshmen players at UofL who did not redshirt are James Burgess, Kevin Kelsey (2 all conference possibles at linebacker), DeVante Parker, Brandon Radcliffe, Kyle Bolin (UK fans remember him), Teddy Bridgewater, Jamon Brown, Andrew Johnson, Corvin Lamb - and the list goes on longer than your arm. These guys stepped in and played for ranked teams, no less. Freshmen play huge roles for even the highest ranked teams. Typically, they also earn even more cred because pretty much all they have is about a 3 week window to make their presence known - in August. It is therefore praiseworthy as hell for some coach to find starters or 2 deep guys among 85 ballplayers and not burn a kid's future without compelling evidence he needs time to develop to play Division 1 ball. So yet again we return to coaching competence.

This has been a monstrous difference between the two schools. In revisioning rankings, Louisville's 32nd ranked recruiting class of 2011 grades out as #2, in the end. Explain that in UK language.

And we won't even bring up 92% graduation rates for a team who puts juniors into the draft.

I'm not implying that True freshmen don't play. Every team also has true freshman play as well as Redshirting players. My argument is that Redshirting a player is not a sign the kid won't be a good college player.

The Universiry of Louisville redshirted 13 freshmen last year, are you going to say those playera won't be good players? I'll bet some will even play in the NFL.

To say it's coaching competence is silly, this very board was praising Gary Pinkel's coaching prowess just a couple weeks ago. He believes in red shirting, and it's paying a huge dividend to Mizzou.

Sometimes it's injury that causes freshmen not to redshirt. During the middle of the year you can have a couple of players at a position get hurt and a freshmen is forced to play, burning his redshirt oppurtunity. It's not that they come in and in 3 weeks the coach has them ready to face D1 opponents. Obviously some kids have so much talent a coach simply can't afford for him not to see the field as well.

In addition, since I am on a roll, the idiotic redundancy of watching UK fans doing their level best to chip away at Cardinal fans perceptions of football life, show a complete inferiority complex of epic size. We are the 450 pound bug on their windshield.

We have become a passionate sideline over there as they take turns whipping themselves into frenzied irrational blasts, than passing on absurd conclusions as if they were somehow real truth. Claiming high moral ground is their last and most comedic refuge.

They don't even bother searching for relevance where it matters - in their own conference. They are obsessed by watching themselves playing a nasty second (or third) fiddle in our own perceptions and those nationally. Their is so much fail over there, if it were comedy, they would by now own their own network.

I'm not implying that True freshmen don't play. Every team also has true freshman play as well as Redshirting players. My argument is that Redshirting a player is not a sign the kid won't be a good college player.

The Universiry of Louisville redshirted 13 freshmen last year, are you going to say those playera won't be good players? I'll bet some will even play in the NFL.

To say it's coaching competence is silly, this very board was praising Gary Pinkel's coaching prowess just a couple weeks ago. He believes in red shirting, and it's paying a huge dividend to Mizzou.

Sometimes it's injury that causes freshmen not to redshirt. During the middle of the year you can have a couple of players at a position get hurt and a freshmen is forced to play, burning his redshirt oppurtunity. It's not that they come in and in 3 weeks the coach has them ready to face D1 opponents. Obviously some kids have so much talent a coach simply can't afford for him not to see the field as well.

You missed the point, Bill. Even on a team in as desperate a search for players who can make P5 plays, UK redshirts a proportionately higher number of players while UofL redshirts basically half of their recruiting class. Simply because you guys "came close" to winning a game you had two weeks to prepare for, it has now become a de facto "improvement" when you simply coughed up the most important game of the season, watching a freshman QB ransack you for 400 passing yards, while displaying warts the size of our state.

Yes, coaching competence is a huge factor, like Stoops or not. He encouraged the pregame trailer park trash antics and even still managed to watch his team blow a 2 TD lead gifted to his team. Frankly, it is going to take some serious and compelling talk to persuade anyone here that UK's fabulous highly rated classes played better than uofL's lowly rated classes.

Better get started.

UK did redshirt most of their class, 19 players. Louisville also had some pretty good players return from the previous years as well that played a part in the game. Bonnafon didn't look to good in the game, if we gonna blame stoops for Bolin, shouldn't he get credit for shutting down the better QB?

The staff obviously believes the reward for sitting many outweighs the benefit of playing them as freshmen.

I'm not comparing classes anyway, somehow you've morphed it into that. I'm simply stating that every program redshirts players, it's a big part of the game still.

UofL redshirted 13 players and UK redshirted 19. And Bolin probably would've been redshirted had he not been pushed into service due to injuries.

I don't know how good the class will ultimately turn out for either school. I'm simply saying that Redshirting is not a sign that a coach is good or bad it's just part of the game.

All of that LPT ish resonates among your fanbase. It's optimistic groupthinking.

Bottom line is if your players aren't playing--in ANY of your classes--it's because they're not good enough (yet) and/or your coaches can't get better play out of them. You're NOT redshirting guys who can help you win today, regardless of what you think, wanna believe, or have been told.

LPT Football: Marching to a different drum...

All of that LPT ish resonates among your fanbase. It's optimistic groupthinking.

Bottom line is if your players aren't playing--in ANY of your classes--it's because they're not good enough (yet) and/or your coaches can't get better play out of them. You're NOT redshirting guys who can help you win today, regardless of what you think, wanna believe, or have been told.

LPT Football: Marching to a different drum...

All I'm saying is that coaches would rather red shirt a guy than put him in a position to essentially waste a year.
The guys that don't redshirt are generally skill positions.

Most of the guys UK redshirted were offensive linemen and defense. Even if a kid has the size those are the hard for a freshman to come out of the gate and understand. So it comes down to philosophy, would you rather waste half a year or 3/4 of year for the kid to get up to speed, or redshirt him so he'll have a better understanding of the system.

Pike,what the ##%$^^$# are you talking about? "When Kentucky gets back to winning sec championships"

Please tell us when uk has ever even played in the sec championship game. Heres a hint for you...uofk is tied with Vandy and Ole Miss. Good job founding member!

And has won as many SEC titles as Tulane and Sewanee

Injuries and academics aside...

Waste a year = Not good enough to play

Linemen usually redshirt = Our incoming linemen aren't good enough to play

Funny how it all comes down to the same conclusion.

LPT Football: Did we mention our new $hitters?...

Injuries and academics aside...

Waste a year = Not good enough to play

Linemen usually redshirt = Our incoming linemen aren't good enough to play

Funny how it all comes down to the same conclusion.

LPT Football: Did we mention our new $hitters?...
Yeah, but look at their stars!!

rwhrtv.jpg

Yeah, but look at their stars!!

Someone seems a little insecure by UK's uptick in recruiting.

This very site has on the front page that Louisvilles 2016 class could be special.
What do you think they're basing that off of, that's right, number of stars.

Someone seems a little insecure by UK's uptick in recruiting.

This very site has on the front page that Louisvilles 2016 class could be special.
What do you think they're basing that off of, that's right, number of stars.

Exactly. Kentucky is getting an unprecedented amount of highly ranked, highly sought after players. Including a very high number of recruits that have chosen a losing record Kentucky team over a Louisville program experiencing unprecedented success in wins and NFL draft picks. This entire discussion is just an attempt to assure those arguing all things anti UK ever being a consistently good program. Times have changed in Lexington and it will soon translate to on field results. Regardless of the illogical argument against redshirting, the use of UK's dismal football history as a measuring stick that things couldn't really change even with a transcendent coach, and that Stoops and staff can't actually coach or develop players ( regardless of the fact Stoops has improved teams everyplace he's been).

The good news for UL fans is that Petrino has recruited well too so the talent level should remain close.

Exactly. Kentucky is getting an unprecedented amount of highly ranked, highly sought after players. Including a very high number of recruits that have chosen a losing record Kentucky team over a Louisville program experiencing unprecedented success in wins and NFL draft picks. This entire discussion is just an attempt to assure those arguing all things anti UK ever being a consistently good program. Times have changed in Lexington and it will soon translate to on field results. Regardless of the illogical argument against redshirting, the use of UK's dismal football history as a measuring stick that things couldn't really change even with a transcendent coach, and that Stoops and staff can't actually coach or develop players ( regardless of the fact Stoops has improved teams everyplace he's been).

The good news for UL fans is that Petrino has recruited well too so the talent level should remain close.

I don't think you'd get much if any traffic over here that was spontaneously bad-mouthing UK football and UK football recruiting if you and your fellow fans weren't making such ridiculous claims such as: UK is now ready to put UofL football in its place and assume its rightful place atop football in the commonwealth; UofL will never win another game in the Governor's Cup; UK is ascending, UofL is descending; UK "won" the game last year except in the final score; etc.

As objectively as I can, being a UofL fan that hates all things UK for the same reason that you people hate Carolina (e.g., unbelievable and totally unearned sense of entitlement; feeling you should be given, that you don't have to earn, etc.), I can understand why there is reason for cautious optimism in the UK camp. But in my world, that would translate into (this year) quietly anticipating a good year, cheering like crazy for it to happen and boasting about it ONCE IT HAS HAPPENED, not before. But then, you guys are the ones that believe Algebra 3 comes before Algebra 2, right? And in printing 40-0 t-shirts and putting a 40-0 tattoo on your legs before it actually happens, right?

Reactions: zgrasshopper
I don't think you'd get much if any traffic over here that was spontaneously bad-mouthing UK football and UK football recruiting if you and your fellow fans weren't making such ridiculous claims such as: UK is now ready to put UofL football in its place and assume its rightful place atop football in the commonwealth; UofL will never win another game in the Governor's Cup; UK is ascending, UofL is descending; UK "won" the game last year except in the final score; etc.

As objectively as I can, being a UofL fan that hates all things UK for the same reason that you people hate Carolina (e.g., unbelievable and totally unearned sense of entitlement; feeling you should be given, that you don't have to earn, etc.), I can understand why there is reason for cautious optimism in the UK camp. But in my world, that would translate into (this year) quietly anticipating a good year, cheering like crazy for it to happen and boasting about it ONCE IT HAS HAPPENED, not before. But then, you guys are the ones that believe Algebra 3 comes before Algebra 2, right? And in printing 40-0 t-shirts and putting a 40-0 tattoo on your legs before it actually happens, right?

Very fair assessmet. For what it's worth...I agree with you that talk is cheap and it's best to let your actions do the talking. That said, we as UK fans that have followed our football program for a number of mostly painful decades can clearly see a unprecendented change on a number of levels(e.g.- unprecedented investment in the program on a number of levels, recruiting success, and a general high level of competence in the running a football program). nonesense claims around dominating UL going forward are just that. It is clear UL isn't going anywhere. I expect a VERY competitive series between us as long as Stoops is at UK and Petrino is at UL. There are some fans on both sides that lack any ability to be objective.

Reactions: zgrasshopper
Serious question: recruiting aside, what has Stoops shown as far as actual on field coaching? You guys were awful last year (your moral victories notwithstanding). Just had an embarrassing schedule in the first half of the season. Seriously, what makes you think the guy can actually coach?

Rinse. Repeat. Since about 1955. Soon.....always soon.

LOL. right on cue... What about the things realistic UK fans are currently touting in the Stoops era rings of rinse and repeat to occurances at UK in the last 30 years?? We are recruiting an unprecendented amount of highly ranked and highly recruited players(approx 20 4 star recruites in last 3 years surpasses the number of 4 star recruits in the decade prior). Unprecedented Fact. Many of these players are choosing UK over UL and many others. Unprecendented Fact. We are paying our assistant coaches more that ever before. Jokers OC and DC made around 250K. Stoops makes around 650K. 120MM into stadium. 45MM into state of the art football complex. Fan support...51K at Spring game. Unprecendented fact.

Even with all of the success UL has had and failure UK has had...some UL fans want to make the differences between our two programs much larger than they really are. UL has won about 60% of the games in this series in the modern era and UK 40%. Hardly a "dominant" advantage. it will be interesting to revisit these discussions over the next several years.

Serious question: recruiting aside, what has Stoops shown as far as actual on field coaching? You guys were awful last year (your moral victories notwithstanding). Just had an embarrassing schedule in the first half of the season. Seriously, what makes you think the guy can actually coach?

Awful is when you lose to Vandy 40-0 at home in front of 10K fans. UK was FAR from awful in comparison to where we were coming from last year. Just like any UL fan paying attention could tell that the first year or two under Strong was night and day different from the last couple of Krag.... UK fans that follow the program can clearly see the difference at UK and what the general direction is.

Stoops is the son of a coach..just like Petrino. He has developed players and put lots of them in the pros where ever he has gone. (just like Petrino). Stoops coached DB's at Miam when they were still winning championships in the early 2000's. Defensive coordinator at Arizona and FSU that turned very bad defenses, both in success on the field and rankings(fact) into very competitive defenses that were highly ranked and got better year over year over year. It's also clear after 3 years of Joker that Stoops just knows how to run a program and has unmatched work ethic. The word in Lexington from many peope was Joker was in over his head and was more interested in chasing tail than working hard after he "arrived".

That said, there is definitely going to be a learning curve and mistakes have and will be made by Stoops with in game decisions that are new to him. But Stoops is the first person to tell you if he made a mistake and learn from it. Joker on the other punted the ball on 4th and 2 from the UT 38 yard line with 5 minutes to go in the forth and a 28 year losing streak on the line. the ball went in the end zone, we netted 18 yards on the punt and they ran out the clock. After the game and thereafter his contention was he would do it the exact same way again given the opportunity to change it. UK fans have seen some very bad coaching. It makes it much easier to realize when someone knows what they are doing..

Right...We were terrible...and still lost by 4 points at your place last year. We'll see what happens next
IIRC, you lost by 7 in 2005 and 31 in 2006 under Pappaw Brooks. So what's your point?

LPT Football: Our point is we like to choose our own examples...

IIRC, you lost by 7 in 2005 and 31 in 2006 under Pappaw Brooks. So what's your point?

LPT Football: Our point is we like to choose our own examples...

My point was that if we were such a terrible team last year and still only lost to you by 4 at UL..that doesn't make your team look very good. And God knows that can't be the case because in your mind you are a college football heavy weigh year in and year out these days. Got the point now

We should have let UK have 2 or 3 weeks off before last year's game, moved our ND game to the day before instead of the week before, and used our punter @ QB instead of the 3rd string QB that hadn't played one meaningful minute of D1 football prior.

Now there's a few salient points.

Extrapolation at it's finest here. They think they are big time laughing at us. Not really.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT