ADVERTISEMENT

Just for fun. Post season coaching carousel

Kratz

2500+
Nov 18, 2001
Going to be an interesting off season in coaching changes.

Miles already gone from LSU. Charlie will get fired at the end of the season. I think there's a good chance Brian Kelly gets fired from Notre Dame too.

Can you imagine the scramble with 3 major programs like that fighting for coaches? I don't recall a time when 3 such high profile jobs were open all at once. Any of them take a chance on Lane Kiffin? He's been a good boy at Bama under Saban. Anyone take a run at Schiano to see if he can replicate what he did at Rutgers?

Just to add a little sauce to it, Purdue is already open and from what I hear Brohm is on their short list. This just as we're finalizing a game with WKU in Nashville in a couple of years.

Reactions: Red Rager
It will get interesting. I know CBP says he's home for good, BUT we've heard that song before. The only 2 coaches who I think are set in stone not to leave are Nick Saban and Urban Meyer. All other coaches across the college football landscape are eligible if called for any of those 3 jobs.

It will get interesting. I know CBP says he's home for good, BUT we've heard that song before. The only 2 coaches who I think are set in stone not to leave are Nick Saban and Urban Meyer. All other coaches across the college football landscape are eligible if called for any of those 3 jobs.
Don't even start with Bobby. His family is never leaving again.

Don't even start with Bobby. His family is never leaving again.
I don't see him wanting to leave either, BUT if one of those 3 jobs throw insane money at him, he might go and leave his family in Louisville.

He left his family in Louisville last time, my son hung out at Petrino's house a couple of times last time he left. That being said I don't think CBP is going anywhere he can accomplish what he wants at Louisville with a whole lot less stress.

Reactions: Cue Card
He left his family in Louisville last time, my son hung out at Petrino's house a couple of times last time he left. That being said I don't think CBP is going anywhere he can accomplish what he wants at Louisville with a whole lot less stress.
I'm good with that. :D He's a terrific head football coach. Nobody with objectivity can dispute that.

I'm wondering how long Saban will last at Bama. What else does he have to prove? What motivates him? I think egos like his (not an insult) want to win at everything. He can't win anything else at Bama. I honestly think he goes back to the NFL at some point to give it another shot. It's the only thing he hasn't accomplished. His time with Miami was mediocre at best.

I'm also getting this thought in the back of my head of Charlie Strong to Purdue. Don't know why, just a gut feeling.

Reactions: Red Rager
I'm wondering how long Saban will last at Bama. What else does he have to prove? What motivates him? I think egos like his (not an insult) want to win at everything. He can't win anything else at Bama. I honestly think he goes back to the NFL at some point to give it another shot. It's the only thing he hasn't accomplished. His time with Miami was mediocre at best.

I'm also getting this thought in the back of my head of Charlie Strong to Purdue. Don't know why, just a gut feeling.

He turns 65 Monday. My sense is he will either retire at Alabama or leave to take a lower tier job allowing him to continue coaching a few more years but without the stress or scrutiny that comes with his current job. I would be surprised if he left for another big school and really surprised if he returned to the NFL.

As to the OP, four jobs are already open (LSU, Purdue, Fresno State and FIU) and I agree Texas and maybe Notre Dame are soon to be. I would be surprised only if there were no others.

The hot names right now are Tom Herman at Houston and PJ Fleck at Western Michigan. I would add Bob Stoops to the list of coaches not likely to go anywhere. Never say "never", but ...

Hermans stock is dropping fast. Not near the hot commodity he was at the beginning of the season

Stoops, Kelly, Strong, and Tuberville will all be looking for jobs. Jeff Brohm will be sought by many.

I think Stoops and Tuberville are safe. Both look like they have a good shot at a bowl game. As for Brohm, I think what someone else said about Herman is applicable. Early in the season I thought he would be hot. WKU is 5-3 right now, but I am not sure that is enough to keep Brohm in the spotlight. Chad Morris at SMU may also get some looks. The Mustangs are only 3-4, but considering when he got there that program was awful I think some will take notice. He does run a solid offense. Another name that may come up is Mike McIntyre (sp?) at Colorado. I could see him or Morris winding up at Texas

The LSU job is closed for now. Orgeron has his "interview" November 4th. If LSU beats Alabama, the job is his. If they lose, he might as well start packing. Another coach I could see being on the move is Wilson at Indiana. He has resurrected that dead program. But I think he has taken it as far as it can go.

The coach that is really getting under my skin right now is Dabo Swinney. I just have a sense he is going to move. I have zero basis for it, I won't defend it or argue about it. I just have a feeling. He seems a logical choice to take Alabama when that comes open. But that gig is not open and, for all we know, won't be open for several years. But, I just have this hunch he is on the move. Maybe it was the dessert last night.

I think Stoops and Tuberville are safe. Both look like they have a good shot at a bowl game. As for Brohm, I think what someone else said about Herman is applicable. Early in the season I thought he would be hot. WKU is 5-3 right now, but I am not sure that is enough to keep Brohm in the spotlight. Chad Morris at SMU may also get some looks. The Mustangs are only 3-4, but considering when he got there that program was awful I think some will take notice. He does run a solid offense. Another name that may come up is Mike McIntyre (sp?) at Colorado. I could see him or Morris winding up at Texas

The LSU job is closed for now. Orgeron has his "interview" November 4th. If LSU beats Alabama, the job is his. If they lose, he might as well start packing. Another coach I could see being on the move is Wilson at Indiana. He has resurrected that dead program. But I think he has taken it as far as it can go.

The coach that is really getting under my skin right now is Dabo Swinney. I just have a sense he is going to move. I have zero basis for it, I won't defend it or argue about it. I just have a feeling. He seems a logical choice to take Alabama when that comes open. But that gig is not open and, for all we know, won't be open for several years. But, I just have this hunch he is on the move. Maybe it was the dessert last night.

There is no way in hell that Texas will hire McIntyre or Morris. That's just silly. Heck, McIntyre was on the hot seat just like Strong before the season. Also I don't believe LSU fired Les Miles mid season so they can hire Ed Orgeron.

I don't see much of a chance for Orgeron either. He's failed in too many lesser places than LSU.

Kiffin is still the intriguing one to me. Bad boy that's made a lot of mistakes in his past, but has been quiet under Saban. No one doubts his coaching ability.

I also think Purdue makes a move for a coach like Strong or Schiano. Get a .500 record there and you're considered a success.

Not sure it's a smart move for Brohm to jump to Purdue. It's been a train wreck for years and that's not changing. He's better off staying at WKU until a better gig comes along.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
There is no way in hell that Texas will hire McIntyre or Morris. That's just silly. Heck, McIntyre was on the hot seat just like Strong before the season. Also I don't believe LSU fired Les Miles mid season so they can hire Ed Orgeron.

Neither will be Texas' first choice. Texas has a history of going for guys like Parcells and Saban, the settling for Mack Brown (UNC) and Strong (UL). As for Orgeron, interims who succeed tend to have inertia in their favor. That is how Swinney would up with the Clemson job and Helton at USC. As much as LSU fans hate Alabama, (well, they hate everybody, frankly), we are going to be 90% of the reason they hire whoever they hire. Kind of amusing to me.

Not sure it's a smart move for Brohm to jump to Purdue. It's been a train wreck for years and that's not changing. He's better off staying at WKU until a better gig comes along.

Tiller had some success there. Not hall of fame stuff, but, you can win there. Wouldn't be my first choice, though. My drink-a-six-pack-then-post an opinion is Brohm will call petrino and gauge the latter's intentions to determine if UL is about to open - then move or not depending. If Notre Dame does open, everybody grab a bottle of Maker's, sit back, and watch the dominoes tumble. I love it when Notre Dame comes open - it is always a potential coaching carousel massacre.

I heard them on ESPNU Inside Collage Football talking a lot about Larry Fedora from North Carolina.

Why has the talk died down about Art Briles, supreme baggage notwithstanding? Who will be desperate enough to take that chance?...

If it was left up to the children on the ND message board then Kelly would be gone today. I see Coach Kelly going after a top notch DC this winter. I've seriously suggested on several occasions going after your team's entire defensive staff. Those coaches have the Cards playing awesome defense. ND would be an attractive job finally once again with a very strong roster. They currently have between the 4th and 6th best recruiting class this season and possibly all 22 starters coming back on offense and defense. Coach Kelly's biggest mistake came in keeping VanGorder after back to back bad defensive seasons. I don't think you fire a successful head coach over a bad season, but who knows these days? If ND should fire Kelly then I don't see him unemployed long.
If it comes down to money , Louisville can bang with anyone in that regards. Be ready to poney up some cash.

I've seen stories that say Herman to Texas is already a done deal, which might explain why Houston has been playing so poorly of late. Maybe Houston should get Briles back, or maybe even Charlie. That would be interesting....

IMO Briles is in a holding pattern until the full story comes out about what all went down at Baylor. Someone will scoop him up, but there's still too many unanswered questions about who knew what.

I've also been hearing that Herman to Texas is a done deal.

Still sticking with my nagging gut feeling that Charlie ends up at Purdue. They'll ask him to do there what he did here following Kragpuke. He'll have plenty of time to build. They'll be ok with .500 records for the first 2 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT