ADVERTISEMENT

Judge rules U of L and Rick need to settle

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDFISTFURY3

4500+
Mar 21, 2015
Bull crap ruling U of L better not even attempt a settlement if any with Rick .Until the NCAA has ruled on our latest alleged infractions.

UofL is going to have to pay him something. Regardless of what you think of Pitino, Postel and Grissom handled his termination in a manner that did not follow contract guidelines. Had they simply followed the contractual guidelines during termination, there are no issues. They botched it.

Whatever Rick botched it he is responsible he signed a contract stating he is responsible for his staff.

UofL is going to have to pay him something. Regardless of what you think of Pitino, Postel and Grissom handled his termination in a manner that did not follow contract guidelines. Had they simply followed the contractual guidelines during termination, there are no issues. They botched it.

Postal & Gruesome were told to get rid of Pitino and Jurich by Bevin and Bevin didn’t care how they did it. It’s not like they had UofLs long term interest as even an option.

I tend to agree that UofL needs to request that this settlement conference be postponed until the NCAA completes its investigation. If Pitino’s program is exonerated, then UofL can actually afford to settle the contract.

If the judge insists on keeping the September 10th conference date, UofL’s sealed settlement offer should be one day’s pay. And my rationale for that would be: (1) Pitino was notified of his suspension and given 10 days of paid leave. (2) his contract stated that he would be given 10 days to respond to allegations after being notified of any violations and (3) after he submitted his response, UofL could state that they would have met on day 11 and fired him.

Results from the NCAA investigation matter not one iota to Pitino's case. He was terminated based on what was known on the day he was fired, not on what was eventually unearthed two years later. It doesn't matter how many dead bodies are found under his old desk today or in the future. "He would have been fired anyway" is not a defense.

A judge also cannot compel a settlement; all he can do is throw the case out of court which hasn't been done. If Pitino is hellbent to drag U of L thru the ringer and is willing to pay the cost, that's what's going to happen.

And if you want to blame someone--as others have posted--blame the clowns who didn't know how or give a damn about the manner in which Pitino's termination was handled. I really feel bad for those guys. And the longer you support them, the more you perpetuate bad behavior...

Zipp is right. Pitino's termination and the possible/probable NCAA investigation are not connected. He was terminated based on what was known at the time. He was under contract, and I imagine he'll get some type of settlement from UofL because of that contract.

Well if that's the case someone give their legal expertise as too why Rick cannot get a college job? If he was only fired for some technical reason botched firing that wouldn't hinder his employment opportunities . Since everyone seems to think he wasn't responsible for his program. Seems other AD's think different !

Well if that's the case someone give their legal expertise as too why Rick cannot get a college job? If he was only fired for some technical reason botched firing that wouldn't hinder his employment opportunities . Since everyone seems to think he wasn't responsible for his program. Seems other AD's think different !

You're totally missing the point. Remove every thought you have about Pitino from your head. The issue here isn't even really about Pitino. It's about his contract. That contract had very specific wording. That wording was ignored by UofL administrators when it came time for dismissal. That's called a breach. That's the issue here. It's not about what Pitino did or didn't do. There was a process spelled out in his contract. That process was not seen through.

Reactions: Cue Card and zipp
Because reality and perception are totally different. He was fired because of past transgressions, sypher and strippers, and his name brought up in a possible illegal recruitment and payment of a player. The latter hasn’t been proven.

Because reality and perception are totally different. He was fired because of past transgressions, sypher and strippers, and his name brought up in a possible illegal recruitment and payment of a player. The latter hasn’t been proven.
Not true. Pitino signed another contract after Sypher and Uofl told the NCAA that Pitino was innocent of Strippers.

Pitino was fired cuz leadership jumped the gun and didnt follow simple termination processes. And now UofL will pay for it.

Or Pitino has been offered numerous jobs that he wouldnt take cuz he doesnt have to. Who knows.

Wrong. Every job that opens up someone thinks Pitino is linked to it. I have not seen any proof that Rick initiated interest or entertained desire to coach any of those openings.

Wrong. Every job that opens up someone thinks Pitino is linked to it. I have not seen any proof that Rick initiated interest or entertained desire to coach any of those openings.

Pitino texted Adam Zagoria saying he “would bring St. John’s to an elite level not seen since Lou Carnaseca”

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
Not true. Pitino signed another contract after Sypher and Uofl told the NCAA that Pitino was innocent of Strippers.

Pitino was fired cuz leadership jumped the gun and didnt follow simple termination processes. And now UofL will pay for it.

He was fired because “leadership jumped the gun”? Otherwise known as a major scandal breaking while being on probation following one of most salacious scandals in CBB history. No biggee.

Reactions: sk73 and Cue Card
… And if you want to blame someone--as others have posted--blame the clowns who didn't know how or give a damn about the manner in which Pitino's termination was handled. I really feel bad for those guys. And the longer you support them, the more you perpetuate bad behavior...

This description actually contains the basis for why Pitino and Jurich had to be fired. Despite a major scandal within the program which cost a Final Four and a Title, they had previously been supported without any consequences concerning their mis-management of the basketball program. To ignore another scandal (the FBI investigation) would have only continued to ignore the ongoing mis-management, continuing to "perpetuate bad behavior”.

The judge is right because a settlement is going to be the end result. Pitinio isn't going to get his entire contract and Louisville isn't getting off not paying him something. Pitinio won't get another job in college until the lawsuit is settled. Louisville needs to move on putting that chapter behind them.

Reactions: Cue Card
Situation is no different than how your insurance company settles a payment . You have a accident you call and tell them they ask questions .however you don't see a dam dime until they get that police /accident report .They want to know who was at fault before they give one cent.

He was fired because “leadership jumped the gun”? Otherwise known as a major scandal breaking while being on probation following one of most salacious scandals in CBB history. No biggee.
And no one was holding a gun to U of L's head to do anything.

U of L held a gun to its own head and pulled the trigger...

This description actually contains the basis for why Pitino and Jurich had to be fired. Despite a major scandal within the program which cost a Final Four and a Title, they had previously been supported without any consequences concerning their mis-management of the basketball program. To ignore another scandal (the FBI investigation) would have only continued to ignore the ongoing mis-management, continuing to "perpetuate bad behavior”.
So you're willing to substitute one form of bad behavior for another. AKA two wrongs make a right.

Got it...

The judge is right because a settlement is going to be the end result. Pitinio isn't going to get his entire contract and Louisville isn't getting off not paying him something. Pitinio won't get another job in college until the lawsuit is settled. Louisville needs to move on putting that chapter behind them.
Takes two to tango. And all a judge can do is point them in the direction of the dance floor...

Situation is no different than how your insurance company settles a payment . You have a accident you call and tell them they ask questions .however you don't see a dam dime until they get that police /accident report .They want to know who was at fault before they give one cent.
Using your analogy, the insurance company makes its decision AFTER the report.

U of L made its decision BEFORE. There's the issue...

Last edited:
Using your analogy, the insurance company makes it decision AFTER the report.

U of L made its decision BEFORE. There's the issue...
Three strikes your out and Rick was already struggling recruiting prior to the FBI crap with his past issues. So i guess if he remained the coach with all the present crap the program was going to be on healthy footing nope. He needed to go U of L did move on got an excellent coach for the the future. Can't believe people would even want Rick to collect a cent he practically destroyed this program.

CRP may find himself a “college job” after the settlement and there will be a settlement of around $10 million in my opinion. But what “dick” Pitino has proven is that he can coach and win. Also that he’ll cheat if that’s what it takes. Especially if his ego has been bruised by not being able to beat calizleazy and uahkay. At his age (and I’m an old fart) I’m not sure why any top rung school would take a chance on this petulant egomaniac. There’s an inherent danger in hiring “dick” Pitino.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

And no one was holding a gun to U of L's head to do anything.

U of L held a gun to its own head and pulled the trigger...

When faced with repeated scandal, the appropriate response is decisive action rooted in restoring some semblance of integrity. It wasn’t the University of Rick Pitino the last time I checked.

Takes two to tango. And all a judge can do is point them in the direction of the dance floor...
You are right, but, the Judge is sending them down this path because the evidence and his experience tell him the end result is going to be a settlement.

At some point the 2 parties are going to have to put their ego's to the side. Louisville figured out real quickly they had to settle with Jurich. They feel, maybe incorrectly, they have pretty good legal ground with Pitino or they would have moved on. Pitinio has Louisville on breach of contract but if that was a slam dunk the Judge wouldn't have gone down this path.

Three strikes your out and Rick was already struggling recruiting prior to the FBI crap with his past issues. So i guess if he remained the coach with all the present crap the program was going to be on healthy footing nope. He needed to go U of L did move on got an excellent coach for the the future. Can't believe people would even want Rick to collect a cent he practically destroyed this program.
You're changing the debate. No one's arguing Pitino should be gone or on the way out. The debate is over how clowns mishandled that process...

When faced with repeated scandal, the appropriate response is decisive action rooted in restoring some semblance of integrity. It wasn’t the University of Rick Pitino the last time I checked.
Your clowns have a fiduciary duty to get U of L through issues as easily as possible. Regardless of the backdrop, on that too they have failed miserably...

...but if that was a slam dunk the Judge wouldn't have gone down this path.
No, that's not what motivates the judge. He/she simply doesn't want his court to labor through the case. More timely and less expense to settle.

If anything, a judge is saying this could go either way, but I wouldn't assume any message...

You're changing the debate. No one's arguing Pitino should be gone or on the way out. The debate is over how clowns mishandled that process...

In arbitration I feel pretty confident that your second sentence will supersede your third sentence.

In arbitration I feel pretty confident that your second sentence will supersede your third sentence.
You're wrong. HOW something is done generally matters more than the result.

It's OK to drive to Nashville. It's not OK to get there in 1-1/2 hours...

The firing was totally mishandled as his contract laid out the exact manner in which it should be accomplished. So my question is, if we end up having to pay Pitino a $20-35 million dollar settlement, would that be cause to remove Grissom from the board? He is going to end up costing us big time.

Reactions: zipp
The firing was totally mishandled as his contract laid out the exact manner in which it should be accomplished. So my question is, if we end up having to pay Pitino a $20-35 million dollar settlement, would that be cause to remove Grissom from the board? He is going to end up costing us big time.
We can only hope. But there needs to be a total housecleaning to appease me. Gruesome's working alongside of either 'yes' men or sheep...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT