ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Nickelberry commits to Louisville!

I'm gonna give most posters here--even the stupid ones--credit for being U of L fans. So does your analysis mean that Mack defenders are better fans?

.. :cool:

No. I didn't say they were better fans. Thanks for asking instead of stamping a straw man argument!

I'm just giving more detail to chew on. That's it!

Is labeling them Mack defenders only giving half the story? Are they only defending him based on just his resume? Or, are they are also showing support for their program, that's been run into the ground nationally and locally for a few years now?

I don't think many fans take to the internet to trash a new coach that hasn't coached a game for their team yet, unless the coach is somebody like Kevin Stallings. Or, if he's revoked scholarships, or done something dubious that clearly warrants scrutiny.

The push back you get on your "take" Zipp is probably more about people that just grow tired of negative takes regardless of whether you claim to *chuckle* "be on the fence" about the guy or not.

I admit I have no strong opinion on the hire either way. I'm a fence sitter
Here’s what it is or at least part of it. They took a guy who was put in a no win situation (they weren’t going to retain him if he went to the FF). Discussions to hire Mack were already ongoing. This guy was loyal to the program as much as any alum could be. They saw a situation where it might take the program longer than their egos allowed. They turned their back on this onetime Cardinal and I’m not sure they said thanks. So if just being a fan of the program meant something, it would get your dander up to see someone who put so much in the program treated so poorly. Yeah go off, hopefully make a name for yourself and maybe in a dozen years we might reconsider you except we don’t think so because the next guy is going to be here 20 years..

So I guess what I’m asking is are Mack defenders simply that? Defenders of Mack or just think he’s the guy best suited for wins and losses... There’s a guy down the road like that.

Last edited:
Here’s what it is or at least part of it. They took a guy who was put in a no win situation (they weren’t going to retain him if he went to the FF). Discussions to hire Mack were already ongoing. This guy was loyal to the program as much as any alum could be. They saw a situation where it might take the program longer than their egos allowed. They turned their back on this onetime Cardinal and I’m not sure they said thanks. So if just being a fan of the program meant something, it would get your dander up to see someone who put so much in the program treated so poorly. Yeah go off, hopefully make a name for yourself and maybe in a dozen years we might reconsider you except we don’t think so because the next guy is going to be here 20 years..

So I guess what I’m asking is are Mack defenders simply that? Defenders of Mack or just think he’s the guy best suited for wins and losses... There’s a guy down the road like that.

Did you want Padgett to get the job? I'm pretty sure Padgett knew that he wasn't going to get the job so I'm not sure its this massive slap in the face that we were looking for his replacement during the year.

Did you want Padgett to get the job? I'm pretty sure Padgett knew that he wasn't going to get the job so I'm not sure its this massive slap in the face that we were looking for his replacement during the year.
I just think DP got dealt a losing hand... And so let me ask you how do you motivate a group of kids when everybody knew it didn’t matter what he did? Have you ever coached at any level, losing and winning are attitudes. If a team has no hope, there’s little chance to get them to play well together. CRP could cause he’s a motivator first and a great coach 2nd.

And so let me ask you how do you motivate a group of kids when everybody knew it didn’t matter what he did?

If he produced a special season it would have mattered, so you're probably wrong saying whatever the team did wouldn't have mattered. They have a big year, he may have been retained much like IU held onto Davis, and Michigan held onto Fisher. It could have forced the hand. We'll never know.

He was put in a tough spot - I am pretty sure everybody has agreed to that.

The problem he had motivating and keeping the players focused was they signed up to play for Pitino, and the leader was Pitino not a player.

I just think DP got dealt a losing hand... And so let me ask you how do you motivate a group of kids when everybody knew it didn’t matter what he did? Have you ever coached at any level, losing and winning are attitudes. If a team has no hope, there’s little chance to get them to play well together. CRP could cause he’s a motivator first and a great coach 2nd.

Padgett had a rough hand but if he was the guy we should have went with the team would have done better. Its not a shot at Padgett but he was in over his head. That has nothing to do with Mack though.

Padgett had a rough hand but if he was the guy we should have went with the team would have done better. Its not a shot at Padgett but he was in over his head. That has nothing to do with Mack though.
It has everything to do with it if Mack was predetermined. Interesting how the job description changed to fit the selection.

He knew what he was getting into, and he was compensated well for it.

Reactions: HRTheCard

Agree. The fact that DP was not hired as a head coach in the offseason either means he wasn’t offered or they were bad enough jobs that he passed.

It has everything to do with it if Mack was predetermined. Interesting how the job description changed to fit the selection.

How did the job description change? Whether we knew Mack was the target or we were going to hold a bunch of interviews Padgett was not going to be the choice unless we had a great season.

Who said that?
If he knew he was going to fail--"what he was getting into"--and that he was being overpaid--"compensated well" even though he was paid 20% of what his successor is making--it made no sense to even ATTEMPT the job unless Padgett is just dumber than dirt...

If he knew he was going to fail--"what he was getting into"--and that he was being overpaid--"compensated well" even though he was paid 20% of what his successor is making--it made no sense to even ATTEMPT the job unless Padgett is just dumber than dirt...

Padgett knew it was a tough situation going in and he would be dumb if he did not know that there was a slim chance he’d become our head coach. He did get a nice salary bump from it and had he got the team to the tourney or made a longer NIT run he had the oppurtunity to jump start his career by several years and get himself a HC job he would have had the chance to get otherwise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT