ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Johnson Decommits

So what's the scoop on the guy ? Is this a huge loss ? Or just a guy that probably wasn't going to play much anyway..

So what's the scoop on the guy ? Is this a huge loss ? Or just a guy that probably wasn't going to play much anyway..
If signing day was this week then it would be a huge loss, there are many players similar that are available.

The Portal has changed everything; perhaps the two best examples of just how irrelevant that HS recruiting has become for most schools, outside of the schools like Alabama, UGA, OSU and Michigan, is the changes at Vanderbilt and Indiana.

Both of those two schools have historically been relegated to the bottom of their respective conferences, and while my observations are not intended to predict success for either one; I believe they serve as solid examples of just how effective use of the Portal can determine any College Football Team’s success from one year to the next, without attracting 4 & 5 Star recruits.

Johnson’s decommitment will have no impact one way or another, as the likelihood of Johnson spending more than one year at any school is 50/50 at best.

Reactions: Mayoman
The Portal has changed everything; perhaps the two best examples of just how irrelevant that HS recruiting has become for most schools, outside of the schools like Alabama, UGA, OSU and Michigan, is the changes at Vanderbilt and Indiana.

Both of those two schools have historically been relegated to the bottom of their respective conferences, and while my observations are not intended to predict success for either one; I believe they serve as solid examples of just how effective use of the Portal can determine any College Football Team’s success from one year to the next, without attracting 4 & 5 Star recruits.

Johnson’s decommitment will have no impact one way or another, as the likelihood of Johnson spending more than one year at any school is 50/50 at best.
Dude you can’t be serious with this take lol. Do a simple 247 class rankings look and find out you couldn’t be farther from the truth. HS recruiting hasn’t been irrelevant and is still the main priority of 95% of P4 schools.

Go take a peak, Maryland, TCU, Duke, Baylor, Syracuse, Washington, Wisconsin, SMU, Rutgers, GT, Pitt, WVU, ASU, the school you mentioned INDIANA…. The list goes on and on and on and I left off ALL of the bluebloods/major programs. You know what those teams have in common up there?? They all have 20+ HS commitments. Stop spreading misinformation on something that’s a simple google search, HS recruiting is relevant to everyone except Louisville… hence why we have the worst P4 class in the country. Get a grip.

Last edited:
You can add 20-25 transfers, but you can still have 20 HS recruits plus 30-40 guys return as well.

I think the concern for Jeff Brohm now is that we know he can add through the portal fine, but building continuity and depth over time.

Like Vanderbilt, 9 of their 1st stringers on offense are returning starters. 9 of their defense first string are returning guys. They added a QB that played last year for their new OC. They mixed things in. You need to keep the culture going.

Next year we're going to bring in almost 20 new guys on our 2-deep on defense. That's not going to be great.

Reactions: Mayoman
Dude you can’t be serious with this take lol. Do a simple 247 class rankings look and find out you couldn’t be farther from the truth. HS recruiting hasn’t been irrelevant and is still the main priority of 95% of P4 schools.

Go take a peak, Maryland, TCU, Duke, Baylor, Syracuse, Washington, Wisconsin, SMU, Rutgers, GT, Pitt, WVU, ASU, the school you mentioned INDIANA…. The list goes on and on and on and I left off ALL of the bluebloods/major programs. You know what those teams have in common up there?? They all have 20+ HS commitments. Stop spreading misinformation on something that’s a simple google search, HS recruiting is relevant to everyone except Louisville… hence why we have the worst P4 class in the country. Get a grip.
Your denial is the real misinformation.

We get it you don't like using the portal and like HS recruits more...good thing you are not the Cards coach and Jeff B. is.

Were it not for the portal just how would CJB have replaced all the transfers out when Satt left? Would HS recruits only been able to pull last seasons record off?

Although he was dissed alot...where would the cards have been without transfer Plummer at QB last year? Would they have made it to the 10 wins record.?

And for that matter how would this years Cards be without QB Schough? And Brooks, and Lacy. etc, etc.

You take is a broken record sir. The portal is the future and now that NLI has been blown up by the NCAA, God only knows what impact that is going to have on HS recruiting too.

Tell us this...How did IU and Rutgers turn their programs around this year? Hell even your whipping post on this issue, Colorado, has turned this season around too. Please explain that. It isn't with just HS recruits.

One size does not fit all. More and more of the P4 schools will rely and rely more on the portal as time goes on to complement their HS recruits. That is and will be the reality. That you can't or won't admit this is insane.

IU sucks! They have played NOONE. Best win is Maryland. They are 6-0 and I'll bet anyone on here the under at 9 wins. They will probably go 8-4, but I won't be shocked at 7-5.

IU sucks! They have played NOONE. Best win is Maryland. They are 6-0 and I'll bet anyone on here the under at 9 wins. They will probably go 8-4, but I won't be shocked at 7-5.
True on the SoS. And I detest IU almost as much as UK.

Howeverf, take a look at their last 3 years; 2021: 2-10, 2022: 4-8 and 2923: 3-9. So significant improvement in the W-L's category.

Thats only 9 wins the last 3 years and they are at 6 now?

Remaining games: Nebraska, Washington, @Michigan State, Michigan, @ OSU, and close with Purdue at home. Four at home and only two away. Pull an upset or two and hold court with MICH St and Purdue they will win 8 or maybe 9.

They have beaten BIG teams: @UCLA, @ Northwestern and Maryland at home. Not too shabby.

Phil Steele states "He Cignetti brought in a ton of transfers this year (And Allen brought in 25 in 2023) and 6 from the Cignetti JMU defense alone this year.. So heavy use of the portal system for IU by both coaches in the last two seasons.

Their new coach from JMU knows what to do and how to coach um up = 6-0 this year so far. Surprise of the BIG so far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT