ADVERTISEMENT

John Ramsey confrontation with Matt Jones

Sultan__of__Swine

15000+
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2004
Heard Matt Jones describe John Ramsey confronting him in the press box before halftime. Said Ramsey was bragging about having his show on during afternoon drive time versus Jones show being on earlier. Then Jones said he listed about 15 people at the radio station building off Newburg Road who do not like Ramsey. Jones went on to say his show hosted the governors debate and interviewed Marco Rubio to which Ramsey said he knows Muhammad Ali.
He then said Ramsey said lets take this outside and that Ramsey basically said he would whoop Jones. Jones said others started hearing the exchange then it fizzled out. Jones said he remained seated during the exchange and didn't raise his voice just told Ramsey he is a grownup and doesn't pull this stuff.

Wonder if anyone can confirm. Wouldn't necessarily trust Jones story.

Reactions: Cardinals4Ever
Heard Matt Jones describe John Ramsey confronting him in the press box before halftime. Said Ramsey was bragging about having his show on during afternoon drive time versus Jones show being on earlier. Then Jones said he listed about 15 people at the radio station building off Newburg Road who do not like Ramsey. Jones went on to say his show hosted the governors debate and interviewed Marco Rubio to which Ramsey said he knows Muhammad Ali.
He then said Ramsey said lets take this outside and that Ramsey basically said he would whoop Jones. Jones said others started hearing the exchange then it fizzled out. Jones said he remained seated during the exchange and didn't raise his voice just told Ramsey he is a grownup and doesn't pull this stuff.

There was a lot of back and forth on Twitter by both Jones and Ramsey. Some pretty juvenile and petty stuff both ways. But it does sound like Ramsey challenged Jones in some manner.

It is hard for me to believe that Kones didn't raise his voice and if Ramsey did challenge the jerk it makes me like him more.

Yes, I heard Jones last night. He went on for about ten minutes. Itwas very unprofessional for both of them to have a confrontation in the media area of an event they are covering. For Jones, it was not only unprofessional but totally classless for him to bring it up during his broadcast. He was reaching any story to divert the attention away from what had just happened on the field. Jones is an embarrassment to U of K. I honestly wonder how Barnhart allows him to continue, but it seems their idiot fans cannot get enough of the jerk.

You guys can't be serious.

By 3rd party account, Ramsey practically stalked Jones looking for a fight.
Jones talks about it, and he's the bad guy.

In what world is it ok to go after somebody like that? He's a sports personality. You don't like him. Ok, great. But, it's STILL sports.

You guys can't be serious.

By 3rd party account, Ramsey practically stalked Jones looking for a fight.
Jones talks about it, and he's the bad guy.

In what world is it ok to go after somebody like that? He's a sports personality. You don't like him. Ok, great. But, it's STILL sports.
Jones owes a lot of his popularity to slamming Louisville players and coaches with personal and pointed assaults. He incites hatefull sentiment which has made this rivalry a much uglier and dangerous. If he should be held to account for that, so be it. You can say whatever you want, but you aren't free from repercussions.

True story. My wife was in between jobs and not employed in her field for about two months about three years ago. She decided any job was better than sitting around the house waiting to land her next job, so she worked a retail gig for about a month. It just so happens about two weeks in that Matt Jones does a remote at her store. She has no idea who he is but she comes home telling me about some arrogant prick she had to deal with that day. I ask her who it was and she said some guy named "Jones". I just started laughing, she had initially dealt with him that day with no preconceived bias and had no idea who he was. But, within a two hour period 'ole Matty had completely shown his true colors as a big-shot radio host and the total jerk he is.

Their both idiots for having that kind a discussion in the media room and the on twitter. It is middle aged school stuff. Here is the difference I doubt Ramsey will go into get detail about it on his show. Jones, like a earlier poster said, has built his entire career off bashing Louisville. What better way to deflect the football game results change the discussion to hating Louisville. I don't think it is necessary. He is trying to be like Paul Finbaum.

Jones needs to be called out by UL fans. However, manner should be more appropriate than a middle aged " cat fight."

There was a time when men did not run their mouth and say any disrespectful thing that came to mind. Then the Internet happened and the threat of physical violence was not as apparent to discourage such behavior. It is good that from time to time, as happened yesterday, grown men are reminded that there is a consequence to the Mean Girls Club that folks like Matt Jones get off on. Kudos to Ramsey.

Cats192, it is hard for any of us over here to think that Matt Jones is an innocent victim. As it has been pointed out Jones has made his reputation by attacking all things UL. He is very HATED in our circle and he has pushed the envelope to where he will probably have more confrontations than just Ramsey.

Ramsey I'm sorry to say from day one has tried to emulate Matt Jones with his show. He wants to be for Louisville fans what Jones is for UK fans.

Since when did squaring up in a parking lot become such a horrendous thing. Remember when real men used to shoot at one another with pistols over disparaging remarks. Just another example of the wussification of the men in this country.

There was a time when men did not run their mouth and say any disrespectful thing that came to mind. Then the Internet happened and the threat of physical violence was not as apparent to discourage such behavior. It is good that from time to time, as happened yesterday, grown men are reminded that there is a consequence to the Mean Girls Club that folks like Matt Jones get off on. Kudos to Ramsey.

Well said.

Jones is an anti UofL jerk and he says ignorant, stupid and untrue things about UofL and personnel almost on a daily basis. John Ramsey does not like him but if he "confronted" matty without cause then he was and is wrong. However, I'm thinking that we've not heard the complete story. I suggest we all tune in to the R and R show on Monday and I'm hoping Ramsey addresses the "altercation". And, by the way, if I were Tony V. I wouldn't like Ramsey either since Tony's ratings are falling like a rock since the afternoon Ramsey and Rutherford show took off.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

My only hope is that Ramsey does not talk about it on the radio tomorrow. I don't care about the altercation and I do not need to hear Ramsey defend himself. UofL fans don't care and UK fans are automatically against him so it makes no defend anything.

I love their show but I absolutely hate when Ramsey talks about Matt Jones during the show, even jokingly. There is too much positive stuff to talk about to hear anything about him.

Jones owes a lot of his popularity to slamming Louisville players and coaches with personal and pointed assaults. He incites hatefull sentiment which has made this rivalry a much uglier and dangerous. If he should be held to account for that, so be it. You can say whatever you want, but you aren't free from repercussions.

Right, sure. But are those repercussions a physical altercation?

I think this illustrates a large societal problem. The thinking that if someone talks bad about your radio show, it's ok to assault them. To cause them bodily harm. If something so small warrants being physically assaulted, how much does one have to say before you think it's ok to take their life?

I mean, this is a pretty ridiculous view point guys.

Right, sure. But are those repercussions a physical altercation?

I think this illustrates a large societal problem. The thinking that if someone talks bad about your radio show, it's ok to assault them. To cause them bodily harm. If something so small warrants being physically assaulted, how much does one have to say before you think it's ok to take their life?

I mean, this is a pretty ridiculous view point guys.
That's a pretty big leap you're taking from punching someone in the face to killing them - no?

I'm not condoning the use of physical violence in a situation like this but, actions have consequences - always have and always will. If you you go around running your mouth about people in a negative way, it's entirely possible that you might get KTFO - comes with the territory.

I imagine Matty couldn't stand up because he messed his pants during the exchange.
Maddie's voice was indeed quivering a little toward the end of his story--which I'm guessing dffers significantly from what JR will relate.

I don't recall him saying which "radio station" had employees who didn't like Ramsey. As if it matters, why would Clear Channel have employees who cared about Ramsey? Conversely, how would Maddie have access to the innermost thoughts of ESPN radio employees? He kept mentioning Mike Rutherford who's an ESPN employee.

Typical Maddie blue Kool Aid garbage...

For the record .. I saw him in the press box and I do not deny confronting him. He spews lies about UL coaches and their families, UL fans, and yes..me. Very personal attacks and rarely do these distortions have anything to do with sports. I am not usually a confrontational guy but he has went out of his way to call me out. Face to face he was very timid and his only answer regarding his dishonest personal attacks on-air was "that's radio and that's me." He never denied lying but also never offered an apology or explanation. He kept switching subjects to ratings and his network of stations. Says he was "second in his graduating class." Claimed that Louisville tried to copy his format with my show. I told him that our fan base made it clear that they did NOT want anyone like him representing Louisville and that like our athletic program I take a higher road (which I hope listeners agree I do). he said "Louisville does not have a fan base." He had a prepared speech about how accomplished he is but I could never get him to justify the lies. I never threatened him physically but he was white as a ghost and seems to be concerned about his shoes rather than looking me in the eye and having a discussion. As everyone knows he is a bully on-air and bullies do not like it when someone pushes back. There was one guy there from "Sea of Blue" who walked-in about halfway through our "discussion" and he has totally fabricated a story with a few select facts. It was obvious Matty was scared but that was not my true intent. I was honestly hoping he would admit to lying and apologize. I should have known that his ego would never let allow for that scenario, BTW..for the Big Blue fans who want to claim I was drinking there was not a drop of alcohol in me. (I saved the celebration until after the victory). Bottom-line, I do not deny that I wanted to confront him.. however, I realize that Card fans are too classy to encourage a brawl in a press box. I apologize for nothing. I still feel that honesty counts and that everyone needs to be held accountable.

However, with that being said... If there was interest in an MMA fight at The Yum for a charitable cause I would be open to participating. Card fans are compassionate and are always open to helping those in need.

Bravo 93.9

Its a free country and one is free to say whatever they please.

HOWEVER

There are consequences to spewing lies, falsehoods, and personal attacks.
She-mattie, ran his mouth, and when confronted, relieved himself ON THE SPOT.

CONSEQUENCES !

Again bravo 93.9 Bravo !!!

Reactions: Cue Card
I think anyone with a IQ number larger than their shoe size understands Jones is a punk. He got punked out because he is a punk.

Jones is a bully that needs his mouth shut for him. It'll happen eventually. Nobody can run their mouth as much as he does without someone eventually shutting it for him. He will run his mouth at the wrong time and place one day, and he'll get KTFO or worse. The only variable is time.

I think anyone with a IQ number larger than their shoe size understands Jones is a punk. He got punked out because he is a punk.

Jones is a bully that needs his mouth shut for him. It'll happen eventually. Nobody can run their mouth as much as he does without someone eventually shutting it for him. He will run his mouth at the wrong time and place one day, and he'll get KTFO or worse. The only variable is time.
Most of his so called "show" today was about Ramsey and not the football game...he has a Man crush on Ramsey.

Reactions: Cue Card
It's a shame that Jones didn't go to Lexington to run for Congress. He would have gotten his clock cleaned. Anyway, the confrontation sounds like two guys with severe cases of short man syndrome. You would think broadcasters would be above that.

Last edited:
"its for ratings" "its only on the internet"
He still said it! Years of lying and degrading the UL fan base, teams, coaches and administrators. Just so he can pump his crappy show. Man I would have loved for Ramsey to punch his lying teeth down his throat. Used to be, when you talked a lot of trash, you had to back it up. Guys like Matt Jones are the reason there is no intelligent discourse anymore-we just demonize each other and take potshots in the safety of our basement. And to the UK guys who says this can escalate, it used to be that people settled their differences this way, and we were BETTER OFF. Happy to see Jones finally got a little glimpse of how things were, and ought to be.

"its for ratings" "its only on the internet"
He still said it! Years of lying and degrading the UL fan base, teams, coaches and administrators. Just so he can pump his crappy show. Man I would have loved for Ramsey to punch his lying teeth down his throat. Used to be, when you talked a lot of trash, you had to back it up. Guys like Matt Jones are the reason there is no intelligent discourse anymore-we just demonize each other and take potshots in the safety of our basement. And to the UK guys who says this can escalate, it used to be that people settled their differences this way, and we were BETTER OFF. Happy to see Jones finally got a little glimpse of how things were, and ought to be.
You can't go around hitting people any more unless it's in self defense. You'll be in jail facing charges and get sued by weird lawyers. That's how this pansy liberal society works, even when you get insulted. Anyway, it would be better if Jones and Ramsey used common sense.

You can't go around hitting people any more unless it's in self defense. You'll be in jail facing charges and get sued by weird lawyers. That's how this pansy liberal society works, even when you get insulted. Anyway, it would be better if Jones and Ramsey used common sense.

Common Sense = UK fan....Those two things can't coexist or be used in the same sentence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT