ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Walz on Louisville and Tom Jurich

That's a dodge. You said I had "no idea" what Jurich would do with an adverse ruling...

You still don’t. Did he say he would file a lawsuit? What he’d do as an armchair QB may or may not square with what he’d do as AD.

Way to early to know the consequences long term, next 5-8 years, but CardAlum is right about the investment of this BOT in Athletics.
Hard to see the money spigot funding sports and keeping all the coaches in clover like Jurich did. We'll see how attractive the "City" and the University are to these coaches when the programs begin to fray at the financial edges, salaries and facilities.

Reactions: OmegaCard
Way to early to know the consequences long term, next 5-8 years, but CardAlum is right about the investment of this BOT in Athletics.
Hard to see the money spigot funding sports and keeping all the coaches in clover like Jurich did. We'll see how attractive the "City" and the University are to these coaches when the programs begin to fray at the financial edges, salaries and facilities.

When talkibg about the “money spigot” under Jurich and Ramsey, is that a positive or negative?

You still don’t. Did he say he would file a lawsuit? What he’d do as an armchair QB may or may not square with what he’d do as AD.
How do you "fight" the last NCAA appeal without a lawsuit? U of L would also like to know that in all probability.

Just admit you were wrong, that's no big deal...

How do you "fight" the last NCAA appeal without a lawsuit? U of L would also like to know that in all probability.

Just admit you were wrong, that's no big deal...

If he had said that as sitting AD then I’d give it weight, otherwise he’s just like us wasting time on a message board. Sounding defiant now is a way to continue to sway public opinion to his side especially given the UNC results.

If he had said that as sitting AD then I’d give it weight, otherwise he’s just like us wasting time on a message board. Sounding defiant now is a way to continue to sway public opinion to his side especially given the UNC results.
Oh now Jurich is lying or exaggerating. Keep feathering that nest... :p

When talkibg about the “money spigot” under Jurich and Ramsey, is that a positive or negative?
In terms of where the entire sports program was 20 years ago, much less 40 or 50 years ago, I can only admire Jurich for what he has done in what was a City College town. He took a private sector like enthusiastic and entrepreneurial approach in fundraising and built a Program larger than the City.

As to the "spigot", I should have said Fire Hose. A garden hose would not have gotten us in the ACC, an act which will reap us academic benefits far into the future.
Damn proud of what he did.

A two time graduate.

In terms of where the entire sports program was 20 years ago, much less 40 or 50 years ago, I can only admire Jurich for what he has done in what was a City College town. He took a private sector like enthusiastic and entrepreneurial approach in fundraising and built a Program larger than the City.

As to the "spigot", I should have said Fire Hose. A garden hose would not have gotten us in the ACC, an act which will reap us academic benefits far into the future.
Damn proud of what he did.

A two time graduate.

The problem was that the "fire hose" had a faulty on/off valve. I really think the issues with the mismanagement and lack of management with Foundation funds are what gave Grissom such a woody for firing TJ.

He was never asked to or given the chance...
Yeah, he’s the highest paid Athletic Director in the country and 3 times your supposedly subordinate embarrasses your beloved University, not to mention, employer, nationally in the media through scandals and just bad publicity and your waiting for someone to tell you “go fire him” or do something? What kind of an effective leader is that who doesn’t have your best interest? Yeah, winning games and bringing money in is more important than the integrity of a educational institution.

The problem was that the "fire hose" had a faulty on/off valve. I really think the issues with the mismanagement and lack of management with Foundation funds are what gave Grissom such a woody for firing TJ.
That's just rhetoric ("mismanagement") without evidence. Transparency was their only legit issue and that doesn't mean malfeasance.

Grissom's agenda is to monopolize the money and power, and he knew where that resided...

Yeah, he’s the highest paid Athletic Director in the country and 3 times your supposedly subordinate embarrasses your beloved University, not to mention, employer, nationally in the media through scandals and just bad publicity and your waiting for someone to tell you “go fire him” or do something? What kind of an effective leader is that who doesn’t have your best interest? Yeah, winning games and bringing money in is more important than the integrity of a educational institution.
You're understandably changing the debate...

But the decision to retain Pitino thru prior off-the-court issues was not Jurich's entirely; he's just the scapegoat for a few of you now. Boards and executives above Jurich had to approve Pitino's retention.

And hindsight's always 20/20...

That's just rhetoric ("mismanagement") without evidence. Transparency was their only legit issue and that doesn't mean malfeasance.

Grissom's agenda is to monopolize the money and power, and he knew where that resided...

You serious? The audit report clearly shows that the Foundation was mismanaged almost to the point of being criminal. Jurich wasn’t the cause of this mismanagement but he certainly was a beneficiary.

You serious? The audit report clearly shows that the Foundation was mismanaged almost to the point of being criminal. Jurich wasn’t the cause of this mismanagement but he certainly was a beneficiary.
Absolutely. I don't recall that the State Auditor (Harmon) found much of anything, certainly nothing at that level. Mostly questions they couldn't answer, but nothing that definitively indicated fraud or malfeasance. You're simply continuing the rhetoric.

And the errors in that audit discredited the few legit findings there were. Bring me true evidence, not rhetoric...

Absolutely. I don't recall that the State Auditor (Harmon) found much of anything, certainly nothing at that level. Mostly questions they couldn't answer, but nothing that definitively indicated fraud or malfeasance. You're simply continuing the rhetoric.

And the errors in that audit discredited the few legit findings there were. Bring me true evidence, not rhetoric...

Read the report. If you don’t think it screams mismanagement then we are just wasting time. There was enough there that Ramsey’s chief of staff had to lawyer up.

Read the report. If you don’t think it screams mismanagement then we are just wasting time. There was enough there that Ramsey’s chief of staff had to lawyer up.
[It's really fodder for another thread, but you asked for it...]

From the CJ’s “8 findings” article on 12-14-16, by Tom Loftus (LINK)…

1. Requests for documentation and other information were met with continued delays and unclear or inconsistent responses.

2. Administrative operations of the university and its foundation were at times indistinguishable and led to ineffective governance.

3. Conflict among members of the U of L Board and the administration created an environment of distrust resulting in a dysfunctional governing climate impacting both the university and the foundation.

4. Endowment funds totaling $67 million, budgeted for use by the university, were loaned to the foundation and an affiliate without prior notification to, or approval by, the U of L board.

5. Action taken by James Ramsey to appoint an acting chief administrative officer for the foundation appears to violate foundation bylaws.

6. The foundation board compensated Ramsey beyond the amount approved by the U of L board and beyond the amount provided under terms of his contract.

7. The university CFO was not included in meetings of the foundation board finance committee in violation of its bylaws and in direct conflict with his contract with the foundation.

8. Foundation board members do not receive an orientation despite the growing complexity of foundation operations.

#1 is audit related and a one-off. #2, 3, 5, 7, and 8 were procedural and indicate no fraud or malfeasance, some of it looking opinion-based or hearsay. #4 is about transparency which is the only legit criticism of Ramsey IMO.

#6 if true would be an issue, but it lacks merit. On further analysis, the CJ acknowledged that Ramsey is paid LESS than his LPT counterpart. (LINK)

IOW all of this is pretty much garbage trumped up to make Ramsey, the former BOT, and the Foundation look as bad as possible. And some of you guys evidently swallowed it.

You're right about one thing though...you ARE wasting my time.

[Sorry about the CJ links everyone!]

If you think that audit report is pretty standard then I hope you never serve on the Board of any organization. That smacks of mismanagement or a lack of management. It led to the resignation or firing of the President, CFO and Chief of Staff. And before you spout your tinfoil conspiracy theories, the Foundation Chairwoman when the CFO was gored is Diane Medley, who knows a thing or two about audits and is a UofL alum. Nice try though my Good Friend.

If you think that audit report is pretty standard then I hope you never serve on the Board of any organization. That smacks of mismanagement or a lack of management. It led to the resignation or firing of the President, CFO and Chief of Staff. And before you spout your tinfoil conspiracy theories, the Foundation Chairwoman when the CFO was gored is Diane Medley, who knows a thing or two about audits and is a UofL alum. Nice try though my Good Friend.
LOL...Nice reminder! You know me about as well as the wannabe suck-up knows Jurich.

I've read of plenty of fact-based reports in my life, and others like this audit. Find an independent accounting firm with their business credibility on the line, and you should get objectivity. This Harmon guy works for the State, and that was the best he could come up with. Smoke and mirrors to impress these little fellas...

Sheep.jpg

So, you don't dispute what Jurich has accomplished only that he should have an MBA in Management & Finance and a JD to be an AD.

Reactions: zipp
So, you don't dispute what Jurich has accomplished only that he should have an MBA in Management & Finance and a JD to be an AD.

I don’t exactly know what you are saying but I’ll take a stab. Jurich (and Ramsey) accomplished amazing things. There is no disputing that. They also had little time for proper governance and this was facilitated by absent boards. Unfortunately for Tom the pendulum swinging back towards major governance and oversight, coupled with the issues in men’s basketball, was too much to overcome.

I don’t exactly know what you are saying but I’ll take a stab. Jurich (and Ramsey) accomplished amazing things. There is no disputing that. They also had little time for proper governance and this was facilitated by absent boards. Unfortunately for Tom the pendulum swinging back towards major governance and oversight, coupled with the issues in men’s basketball, was too much to overcome.
More rhetoric without facts from sheep who will believe anything.

And we already knew what the scumbags were saying...

More rhetoric without facts from sheep who will believe anything.

And we already knew what the scumbags were saying...

My good friend Zipp - I’d say the audit report is a fact. If you don’t like the results I’d suggest you write a letter to Diane Medley and tell her that you don’t like the audit conclusions. I’m sure she will value your opinion.

All I know is:

1. UL has grown as a University and athletically beyond anyone’s imagination under Ramsey and TJ.

2. The nation, most states, and every major city has gone “almost” (you know, like “almost” illegal) bankrupt due to “proper” and “major” governance.

Should they follow procedures? Of course. Should people use company stationary for personal use? Pay for their company car gas on personal trips?

Did the violate the law? No according to the report. And “Almost”= No

So now we will see what works best to build a great school and athletics.

People who knowledgeably, and legally bypass appointed bureaucrats.

Or by letting said bureaucrats run the show.

And what bureaucrat has never stuck his hand in the till for their special projects?

We’ll see now if we keep growing cash, or if the reserve (the $60 some million the audit found) disappears and we’re begging the state for more.

My good friend Zipp - I’d say the audit report is a fact. If you don’t like the results I’d suggest you write a letter to Diane Medley and tell her that you don’t like the audit conclusions. I’m sure she will value your opinion.
The only "facts" in the audit were (1) Ramsey was paid less than his LPT counterpart, and (2) he MAY have violated bylaws without consequences. When you find other facts in the audit, please note them here...

The only "facts" in the audit were (1) Ramsey was paid less than his LPT counterpart, and (2) he MAY have violated bylaws without consequences. When you find other facts in the audit, please note them here...

When a doctor analyzes an X-Ray and concludes you have a broken bone and puts you in a cast, is it a fact that you have a broken bone? Most reasonable people would say yes. The audit was the x-ray and the auditors are the doctor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT