ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Walz on Louisville and Tom Jurich

Steelers2012

Jan 5, 2012
Just read a quote attributed to Coach Walz from Eric Crawford. I thought it was very relevant in the current climate of wondering if we would lose coaches in the wake of Tom Jurich's firing. Sounds like Jurich sold coaches on the city and university, not himself. Kudos Coach Walz.

“Tom (Jurich) sold me on Louisville, not Tom. ... Louisville is home. I want to retire here, or be fired here.”

Just read a quote attributed to Coach Walz from Eric Crawford. I thought it was very relevant in the current climate of wondering if we would lose coaches in the wake of Tom Jurich's firing. Sounds like Jurich sold coaches on the city and university, not himself. Kudos Coach Walz.

“Tom (Jurich) sold me on Louisville, not Tom. ... Louisville is home. I want to retire here, or be fired here.”

Hopefully Coach McDonnell feels the same way!!

But I thought all the coaches wanted to leave now and that the sky is gonna fall? Maybe the coaches appreciate what Tom has done for them but also are ready to put the drama behind the athletics dept.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
But I thought all the coaches wanted to leave now and that the sky is gonna fall? Maybe the coaches appreciate what Tom has done for them but also are ready to put the drama behind the athletics dept.

When it becomes time for other schools to hire coaches, it would be bad business if they didn't reach out to a current Louisville coach, since they just lost their boss, the person who hired and supported them. Alas, no one is hiring right now.

The timing of the fall out will last until spring/summer 2018.

Or maybe they’ll be receptive to the next quality offer that they get - you know, like the ones most of them have turned down in the past. Please list examples of any other coaches who came out and said that they were looking for another job.

It’s telling that they signed and sent that letter - that’s the real indication of how they feel.

That's what I'd say too right now.

The next thing I'd say when the time comes is "show me the money".

Then see who does, and decide where I want to live then.

Or maybe they’ll be receptive to the next quality offer that they get - you know, like the ones most of them have turned down in the past. Please list examples of any other coaches who came out and said that they were looking for another job.

It’s telling that they signed and sent that letter - that’s the real indication of how they feel.

I’m not worried. They have a great setup in Louisville and get to live in a great city, not some podunk college town. I’m also confident in Tyra’s ability to find a great permanent AD.

All of these coaches have different motivators. We just lost a big one for most of them in Jurich...

Maybe the next AD can actually help get some national championships won (and not the take the banner down variety)

I can't see McDonnell going anywhere, he's the highest paid baseball coach in America, first to crack the million dollar mark!
That just means the next sec school that comes calling will bring those kinds of numbers - market adjustment.

Also - not that he’d do it for free but, DM is as concerned about the fit of where he is - including ability to win, facilities and direction of the athletic department, as he is with his contract.

Nobody gets into coaching college baseball because they think they’re gonna get rich.

Reactions: American Male
I’m not worried. They have a great setup in Louisville and get to live in a great city, not some podunk college town. I’m also confident in Tyra’s ability to find a great permanent AD.
Why - what gives you that confidence? I mean it’s not as if he’s experienced in the job or, from that world where he’s got contacts.

He likes sports but, he’s in the position because he’s a grissom protégé, so I guess you need to have confidence that grissom can find someone.

Just don’t expect there to be any transparency to the process.

Just a terrible post.

Point being there are a lot of schools winning championships across a broad spectrum of sports. Just look at the Directors Cup standings. There are other very talented people that can run established athletic departments. Jurich isn’t the be all, end all.

Point being there are a lot of schools winning championships across a broad spectrum of sports. Just look at the Directors Cup standings. There are other very talented people that can run established athletic departments. Jurich isn’t the be all, end all.
I understand that but, I think it’s factually incorrect to lay the banner removal at Jurich’s feet.

I understand that but, I think it’s factually incorrect to lay the banner removal at Jurich’s feet.

I wasn’t implying that. Simply stating that under Jurich one title was won and that title most likely is coming down. There are a lot of titles that have been won at other schools in his timeframe. That’s not to diminish the tremendous progress under TJ but it also underscores that other AD’s can hire winning coaches.

Not to mention the probability of that banner coming down doubled or tripled when Jurich was canned. The guys in charge now are fine with it coming down...

With all due respect to TJ, he seemingly went along with the Smrt plan to self-flog and essentially roll over to the NCAA.

I wasn’t implying that. Simply stating that under Jurich one title was won and that title most likely is coming down. There are a lot of titles that have been won at other schools in his timeframe. That’s not to diminish the tremendous progress under TJ but it also underscores that other AD’s can hire winning coaches.

There have been championships won in swimming and track, fwiw.

With all due respect to TJ, he seemingly went along with the Smrt plan to self-flog and essentially roll over to the NCAA.
Which I questioned big time when it was decided.

But the way I recall events, Jurich and Pitino covered for their boss--Ramsey--who made the final decision. (That was also the look on their faces at that presser with Smrt...) The big guy was only too willing to call it "my decision" until the natives were ready to hang him in effigy, literally.

The reason I say the chances of that banner coming down have increased are twofold... Jurich had no intention of letting it go easily and I'm pretty sure would have filed suit when the appeal will be denied in a month or so. Secondly, the new guys are only too anxious to lay that outcome at Ramsey's, Jurich's, and Pitino's feet. What better way to validate the dismissal of those three?

We can kiss that banner goodbye along with Tom, but trust me, he would have fought for it given that chance. Yet something else we lose...

And a couple of national champs runner ups. Also, you have to remember, prior to Jurich, baseball team- garbage, Title IX compliant- not even close, women's hoops- a joke, facilities- archaic. He transformed everything. Everything.

I do remember. In fact I saw it first hand. Again though, it doesn’t mean another AD can’t hire championship-level coaches and support championship-level facilities. Don’t let the doomsday preppers mislead you.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
I do remember. In fact I saw it first hand. Again though, it doesn’t mean another AD can’t hire championship-level coaches and support championship-level facilities. Don’t let the doomsday preppers mislead you.

Well, if history is any indication, we've had one AD who did anything significantly noteworthy. And, I'm sure there are AD candidates who'd just love to walk into this situation where the old AF board chair runs the show, despite being 40 years past his prime, not to mention being an enormous ass hole.

Not to mention the probability of that banner coming down doubled or tripled when Jurich was canned. The guys in charge now are fine with it coming down...

No the banner is coming down because a basketball staffer paid strippers and prostitutes for recruits that were underage.

Tom is done and nothing you can do about it.

No the banner is coming down because a basketball staffer paid strippers and prostitutes for recruits that were underage.

Tom is done and nothing you can do about it.
Tom being "done" is why the banner is coming down. He would have fought like hell to make sure it stayed exactly where it is now. And eff an appeal, the NCAA couldn't have afforded to lose the lawsuit that followed. It would have been settled.

Watch how hard that Cat, Vince, fights to keep it...

Tom being "done" is why the banner is coming down. He would have fought like hell to make sure it stayed exactly where it is now. And eff an appeal, the NCAA couldn't have afforded to lose the lawsuit that followed. It would have been settled.

Watch how hard that Cat, Vince, fights to keep it...

Zipp you have no idea what Tom would’ve done post-appeal.

If the banner comes down you can chalk it up to the FBI investigation and Pitino, Jurich and Ramsey taking responsibility for nothing except fat salaries and bonuses. The house has been cleaned so hopefully the NCAA will let us keep the banner.

If the banner comes down you can chalk it up to the FBI investigation and Pitino, Jurich and Ramsey taking responsibility for nothing except fat salaries and bonuses. The house has been cleaned so hopefully the NCAA will let us keep the banner.

You're a broken record. You're also a little confused. The NCAA hasn't even launched a probe into the FBI matter. That could take a while. The banner is at risk due to strippers in the basketball dorm. So, if the banner goes after the appeals process is completed, you can't chalk it up to the FBI investigation.

Crawford mentions in his article that coach Walz did not sign the letter supporting Jurich, from the other coaches. He then went on to thank and praise Tom at the tip-off luncheon. I find this curious.

Crawford mentions in his article that coach Walz did not sign the letter supporting Jurich, from the other coaches. He then went on to thank and praise Tom at the tip-off luncheon. I find this curious.

I read somewhere that Walz had said he didn't feel the need to sign it, as he already had personally lobbied Postel to keep Jurich.

More completely uninformative and trolling posts from Kuckle and East. Of course other AD's can do just as well but a few obstacles:

1) We currently don't have one
2) The current administration is not going to pay for one of that calibur
3) The current administration has not shown that they are invested in the continued success of athletics
4) Solving 2 and 3...you have to convince one to actually come here in this current climate when an appreciable portion of the fan base would be happy to see the equivalent of the current President and a majority of the current BOT tarred and feathered then banned from even looking in the direction of the University of Louisville let alone be involved with any decision making.

More completely uninformative and trolling posts from Kuckle and East. Of course other AD's can do just as well but a few obstacles:

2) The current administration is not going to pay for one of that calibur.
99.99% sure Tyra isn’t that caliber and 100% sure he’s nowhere in the same stratosphere as Jurich when it comes to being an AD however - it sure is good to be grissom’s buddy.

1.2 mil a year good...

Reactions: zipp
That banner doesn’t come down no matter what the NCAA says. We won the title, that’s it. We should absolutely, positively REFUSE to take it down. In fact, we should hang an even bigger one. What are they going to do about it? All they can do is alter the “official “ record. They don’t control what we put in our arena.

2) The current administration is not going to pay for one of that calibur
3) The current administration has not shown that they are invested in the continued success of athletics
4) Solving 2 and 3...you have to convince one to actually come here in this current climate when an appreciable portion of the fan base would be happy to see the equivalent of the current President and a majority of the current BOT tarred and feathered then banned from even looking in the direction of the University of Louisville let alone be involved with any decision making.

Wow, never been accused of trolling before but would prefer that be launched in a respectable post. What was the point of your post? Try not to pass off your opinions as facts.

There's always the possibility Crawford doesn't know WTH he's talking about...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT