ADVERTISEMENT

It never fails

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
Louisville football just can't get over the hump. There's always something that happens to keep us from the top. That damn kickoff was it this time. And let it be James Quick again to not get that one lousy yard like two years ago in this game. I'm proud of the Cards but one of these days the football Gods are due to shine on us when it truly matters.

After getting the 8 point lead with 7 minutes to go, it was two plays that did us in. The kickoff return saved Clemson a ton of time that they ended up needing. Then it was Jackson's pass to Hikitini being knocked down on 3rd down. Had we got that 1st down, I think we would have least used up enough time to keep Clemson from scoring that last TD. But who knows, Jackson may have slipped and fumbled taking a knee. It's always something.

After getting the 8 point lead with 7 minutes to go, it was two plays that did us in. The kickoff return saved Clemson a ton of time that they ended up needing. Then it was Jackson's pass to Hikitini being knocked down on 3rd down. Had we got that 1st down, I think we would have least used up enough time to keep Clemson from scoring that last TD. But who knows, Jackson may have slipped and fumbled taking a knee. It's always something.

What did us in was getting away from running the ball down their throats after they were TIRED...Our last two drives consisted of 95% pass plays...Incomplete ones STOPPED the Clock!!!

:cool:

The early bad snap put us in a first-half hole. I truly believe we were driving to go up 14-0 at that juncture, that play was a 14 point swing. We may have set the Clemson defense back on their heels much earlier than we ultimately did. There were a ton if big plays both negative and positive, but IMO that was a big one.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we would all have a Merry Christmas. You can always go back and say what could have happened, BUT what if Clemson wouldn't have turned the ball over 100 times in the 2nd half?? The final score would have been UGLY. Clemson isn't FSU, Syracuse, Marshall or Charlotte.

It was a great game and the team that made the most plays won.

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt. Backstrap
What did us in was getting away from running the ball down their throats after they were TIRED...Our last two drives consisted of 95% pass plays...Incomplete ones STOPPED the Clock!!!

:cool:
I agree, but it's easy to second guess after the fact. I too felt we should have ran the ball when getting the ball back up 8 instead of trying a pass on 1st down which was incomplete. That was a key play which stopped the clock, then the 3rd down pass which was deflected at the line to stop the clock again. Run the ball there and kill the clock as much as possible is what I would have tried to do as the coach. Maybe CBP would too if he could do it over. IDK.

Action Jackson got greedy on a few passes instead dropping one off to reggie in the flat and another to Hikitini also. And he made at least three bad reads two major one's he should have handed off to Smith whom had a run up the middle and another that caused a punt and score for clemson he tried to outrun the outside defensive lineman instead of handed off to the back whom had the inside and 1st down. And that batted down pass for first down was in my opinion the dagger that done us in. And special teams let us down big time on that return! And a few plays Jackson for some reason held the ball and actually had alot of open field to run and he didn't. Oh well things happen, really don't know why Quick didn't give it all he had after catching that pass but it wasn't his fault we lost alot of blame to go around on all levels.

Reactions: American Male
Action Jackson got greedy on a few passes instead dropping one off to reggie in the flat and another to Hikitini also. And he made at least three bad reads two major one's he should have handed off to Smith whom had a run up the middle and another that caused a punt and score for clemson he tried to outrun the outside defensive lineman instead of handed off to the back whom had the inside and 1st down. And that batted down pass for first down was in my opinion the dagger that done us in. And special teams let us down big time on that return!

Lamar is still learning about his progressions. He will get better sooner rather than later.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

The pass to Hikutini was in the end zone not in the field of play imo it was pass interference he was tackled from behind before the ball was half way to him tons of plays in that game where the refs failed to call penalties in the first half our receivers were having their jerseys held 10 15 20 yards down the field.

Woulda coulda shouldva is a helluva game! water under the bridge now glad they have a bye week give then time to heal physically and mentally. sure this game is eating at them this morning.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we would all have a Merry Christmas. You can always go back and say what could have happened, BUT what if Clemson wouldn't have turned the ball over 100 times in the 2nd half?? The final score would have been UGLY. Clemson isn't FSU, Syracuse, Marshall or Charlotte.

It was a great game and the team that made the most plays won.
Yeah because Louisville didn't cause any of those turnovers. Yeah ok. It was a great game period.

I know one thing, I would love our chances in a January rematch on a neutral field. I guarantee no honest Clemson fan would want to see that if it should play out that way.

Louisville football just can't get over the hump. There's always something that happens to keep us from the top. That damn kickoff was it this time. And let it be James Quick again to not get that one lousy yard like two years ago in this game. I'm proud of the Cards but one of these days the football Gods are due to shine on us when it truly matters.
You will get over the hump and you may do it this year. Louisville erased any question about relevancy last night. Good luck down the stretch.

The pass to Hikutini was in the end zone not in the field of play imo it was pass interference he was tackled from behind before the ball was half way to him tons of plays in that game where the refs failed to call penalties in the first half our receivers were having their jerseys held 10 15 20 yards down the field.
This! To me this was the biggest play or non call on the last drive. We should have had 1st down on the 1 yard line. Different outcome.

In a one-yard/one-play game, every play can be scrutinized.

As far as TOs, if you look at it both ways, we didn't lose because of TOs. We were probably a net gain. But like I said, you can focus on every play in a game with that outcome...

Yeah because Louisville didn't cause any of those turnovers. Yeah ok. It was a great game period.

I know one thing, I would love our chances in a January rematch on a neutral field. I guarantee no honest Clemson fan would want to see that if it should play out that way.
Great, great game. However, I beg to differ on the rematch. I'd love it. I think Venebles had exactly the right sauce to contain Jackson, as was evident in the first half. The five turnovers simply gave a great, great player too many at bats, and our D was completely done during most of the second half. +/- 100 plays is too many to ask a defense to play against that dude. Having said that, if(yea, I know, IF) we come out and score to start the second half instead of Ray Ray McLeod working on his middle school tip drill, the score is 35-10 and that is a much, much different second half and final score.

Having said that, I echo what several here have already said. You guys have a great fan base. Met some really nice Louisville folks who were just walking around and taking in our campus, and several even stayed and had a little pre-game meal with us. I'll be in Louisville next year. No doubt.

Great, great game. However, I beg to differ on the rematch. I'd love it. I think Venebles had exactly the right sauce to contain Jackson, as was evident in the first half. The five turnovers simply gave a great, great player too many at bats, and our D was completely done during most of the second half. +/- 100 plays is too many to ask a defense to play against that dude. Having said that, if(yea, I know, IF) we come out and score to start the second half instead of Ray Ray McLeod working on his middle school tip drill, the score is 35-10 and that is a much, much different second half and final score.

Having said that, I echo what several here have already said. You guys have a great fan base. Met some really nice Louisville folks who were just walking around and taking in our campus, and several even stayed and had a little pre-game meal with us. I'll be in Louisville next year. No doubt.
Thanks for the compliments and thanks for playing Mr. If. I'm gonna go watch the replay for the 4th time to give you my "but what ifs" that lead the Cards from a 36-28 lead to an 18 point win on the road.

Slowly starting to sound as if you gracious Clemson fans who held your breath for 80% of the 2nd half and gushed about Louisville are now a little peeved that most people believe these teams are equally good.

Good luck the rest of the way.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments and thanks for playing Mr. If. I'm gonna go watch the replay for the 4th time to give you my "but what ifs" that lead the Cards from a 36-28 lead to an 18 point win on the road.

Slowly starting to sound as if you gracious Clemson fans who held your breath for 80% of the 2nd half and gushed about Louisville are now a little peeved that most people believe these teams are equally good.

Good luck the rest of the way.
Please make no mistake: I'm not "peeved" in the least, and I don't think any other CU fans I know are either. I'm thrilled to get a win over the absolute best college football player I've ever seen in person(I'm 43 years old). I may have "peeved" you by saying I'd love a rematch, and if so I apologize, but it's the truth. The only "what if" that I can come up with for us to lose a rematch without turning it over 5 times is that Brent Venebles and our D-line don't make the game. If the truth be told, I guarantee that Petrino and his staff didn't talk about much in their sunday position meetings other than the game in the trenches, because that was the difference. Deshaun Watson never got touched. Not once. We sacked Lamar Jackson FIVE times(that number might have been 15 if he were not a registered freaking super hero) and had 10 tackles for loss. I'll make one other point without using the word "turnovers." At one point late in the third quarter, Clemson had snapped the ball 48 times and had 21 first downs.

I don't know why in the world any CU fan would NOT want a playoff rematch, and if you guys would like one, too, then it sounds like a big turnout if both teams take care of business the rest of the way. Good luck.

Last edited:
Venables had a helluva game plan against UofL, Petrino/Grantham made some outstanding adjustments. Just some of the best coaches in the country doing what they do.

True, Watson never got sacked, so UofL adjusted and started jumping his routes. If you can't beat 'em in the trenches, trick them with coverage and get them to throw picks.

Venables had a helluva game plan against UofL, Petrino/Grantham made some outstanding adjustments. Just some of the best coaches in the country doing what they do.

True, Watson never got sacked, so UofL adjusted and started jumping his routes. If you can't beat 'em in the trenches, trick them with coverage and get them to throw picks.
:)I hear ya, man. The pic Deshaun threw targeting Cain was because Cain stumbled(fell, I think) and the defender ran under it. The one after the half was through Ray Ray's hands. He's a box of chocolates anyway with respect to performance, but he was peeking to see how far he could run and shot the ball up in the air. The one to Mike in the end zone was a head scratcher because it was a middle school throw, Mike was wide open, and Deshaun threw it behind him. Deshaun has thrown it to the wrong jerseys a fair amount this year already, which is why he isn't mentioned in anybody's Heisman list right now.

Anyway, I'm definitely a fan of Grantham. He's in a damned good spot right now, too, because he has an offense that is gonna score 60 against most teams, so he can let it rip and gamble a lot with blitz calls, etc. Petrino is, without question, the best play caller I've seen in my life...tied with Spurrier.

Last edited:
Venables is in a damn good spot too. Legit title contender and a defense that stopped UofL 3 times in the red zone (not counting the fiasco at the end) and held them to FG's instead of TD's.

I honestly thought that with this offense, no team would make us have 3 fgs out of red zone trips in one game.

Venables name will be coming up soon in head coach talk. If you like the guy, do everything you can to keep him away from UK when they get rid of Stoops! Stoops was as highly thought of as a DC at FSU as Venables is. Look at what taking the UK job has done for his career! :)

Venables is in a damn good spot too. Legit title contender and a defense that stopped UofL 3 times in the red zone (not counting the fiasco at the end) and held them to FG's instead of TD's.

I honestly thought that with this offense, no team would make us have 3 fgs out of red zone trips in one game.

Venables name will be coming up soon in head coach talk. If you like the guy, do everything you can to keep him away from UK when they get rid of Stoops! Stoops was as highly thought of as a DC at FSU as Venables is. Look at what taking the UK job has done for his career! :)
No joke!! He's already had folks calling to talk, and he's said "no thanks." He loves it here, makes a boatload of money, and has two sons who are both legit high school players who both want to play for Clemson. I'll be shocked if he leaves any time soon, but you're right. We ain't gonna have him forever.

After nearly being choked to death, Jackson made some bad reads that cost us 4 points in one of those FG drives. That inexperience or immaturity will be absent against future opponents. We've rarely seen #8 make the same mistake twice after 5 games.

At LJ's rate of progress, that will not be something future opponents, including a hypothetical Clemson in a rematch, can rely upon. There will be only one baptism by fire when it comes to Lamar Jackson.

A few weeks ago there was a CU fan on this forum saying that Louisville had peaked too early. After Saturday night, we can all see that they haven't come anywhere near peaking as yet & even so were 1 play from offing the Death Valley home field advantage. Why is that? Because Lamar Jackson is only getting started.

This might've made sense at midnight Saturday night but it's not a good, sober read on the real wake of the Clemson game IMO.

We are over every hump in the world but the last few.

That's light years from where we were when the season began much less just a few years ago.

Yes, we should've won that game (and at least one of the last two against Clemson).

After nearly being choked to death, Jackson made some bad reads that cost us 4 points in one of those FG drives. That inexperience or immaturity will be absent against future opponents. We've rarely seen #8 make the same mistake twice after 5 games.

At LJ's rate of progress, that will not be something future opponents, including a hypothetical Clemson in a rematch, can rely upon. There will be only one baptism by fire when it comes to Lamar Jackson.

A few weeks ago there was a CU fan on this forum saying that Louisville had peaked too early. After Saturday night, we can all see that they haven't come anywhere near peaking as yet & even so were 1 play from offing the Death Valley home field advantage. Why is that? Because Lamar Jackson is only getting started.

I don't know who said "peaking too early." Every fan base has a goober or two, I guess. I agree with your premise, and I think folks should be equally concerned about Watson getting better as the season goes on. All the talk through four games had been about how our offense was struggling, underperforming, reading its own news clippings, had no heart, was lackadaisical, etc. Watson showed up saturday and had more passing yards, more completions, higher completion percentage, more touchdowns...heck, even more yards per carry, than the clear Heisman favorite. He led his team to 42 points against a great defense while turning it over 5 times and getting 33 less snaps on offense than Jackson. I'd say there's definitely room to improve for the Tigers offense as well, and if a rematch happens, I might not bet on Jackson's "misreads," but I definitely wouldn't plan Clemson handing it over five times and losing the time of possession battle by more than double.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT