ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the weakest the SEC has ever been

Chapman123

800+
Jan 20, 2018
Louisville
in basketball. They are losing to everyone out of conference. What a joke of a conference. Makes you realize how bad of an XO coach Cal really is with all of those five stars. They should run through that conference year in and year out.

Last edited:
I dont know if I agree with that. While they obviously arent the ACC, they have taken a significant step forward the last 2 years. They hired some really good coaches and honestly losses this time of year arent that a big of a deal. I'll take FLA for example....2 not so great losses, but they could end the season strongly and go 24-6 and end up a 3 seed. Thats what its all about! SEC will most likely get 6-7 teams in the tourney. Now.....will they all flame out and have 1-2 in the Sweet 16, probably. I think the SEC and Big 10 are tied for the 2nd best conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cue Card
I dont know if I agree with that. While they obvioulsy arent the ACC, they have taken a significant step forward the last 2 years. They hired some really good coaches and honestly losses this time of year arent that a big of a deal. I'll take FLA for example....2 not so great losses, but they could end the season strongly and go 24-6 and end up a 3 seed. Thats what its all about! SEC will most likely get 6-7 teams in the tourney. Now.....will all they flame out and have 1-2 in the Sweet 16, probably. I think the SEC and Big 10 are tied for the 2nd best conference.
Yeah I agree with that. The SEC is actually better today than it's historically been. It's because the football schools have made an effort to bolster their basketball programs. It's all about money.

EDIT: I don't think the SEC is the 2nd best basketball conference. I would argue the ACC, B10 and B12 are better.

Last edited:
Florida has lost to Conn and FSU, LSU has lost to VCU and utah state, Georgia just go their ass handed to them by Dayton, Uk has lost to Evansville, Alabama has lost to the Penn QAuakers and Rhode island...second best conference my AZZ!

Auburn probably has the best coach in their league.

I think they have been so bad historically that people act like they are good the past few years because the ceiling was so low.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Florida has lost to Conn and FSU, LSU has lost to VCU and utah state, Georgia just go their ass handed to them by Dayton, Uk has lost to Evansville, Alabama has lost to the Penn QAuakers and Rhode island...second best conference my AZZ!

Auburn probably has the best coach in their league.

I think they have been so bad historically that people act like they are good the past few years because the ceiling was so low.
Yeah I don't think the SEC is the second or third best conference. I think they are the fourth best. I would put the top 5 in this order:

1. ACC
2. Big 10
3. Big 12
4. SEC
5 PAC 12

If we are being unbiased and looking at records in non-conference play.

The ACC is king and that’s nothing new since the old Big East collapsed. Four LEGIT title contenders in Duke, UNC, Virginia, and our Cards. Virginia Tech seems to have jumped back in the conversation. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Cuse and Notre Dame have strong years too.

The Big Ten is looking like they’re struggling. They have some bad losses and some pretty garbage teams at the bottom. Ohio State, Maryland, and Michigan State look like contenders. Penn State and Michigan look pretty strong. Is Indiana for real? We find out agains Florida State next week. After those teams it looks fuzzy.

The Big 12 is looking pretty good so far. They actually don’t have a team currently with more than 1 loss. Now it is only November, I see Texas Tech, Kansas, and Baylor all as national players. The other teams all look pretty good too. Top to bottom probably the most quality. Iowa State as Steve Prohm are always a tough out.

The SEC actually is looking pretty good again, no on the ACC level but a good conference. I think Kentucky, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi State all look like tournament teams. Vanderbilt hasn’t played anyone yet, but it seems Stackhouse has gotten their ship right again and I love seeing him coach Pippen Jr. (I live near Nash so I’ve gotten to see them)

1. ACC 63-9 (88%)
2. Big 12 42-7 (86%)
3. SEC 63-15 (81%)
4. PAC 12 53-13 (80%)
5. Big East 44-12 (79%)
6. Big Ten 58-16 (78%)

If we are being unbiased and looking at records in non-conference play.

The ACC is king and that’s nothing new since the old Big East collapsed. Four LEGIT title contenders in Duke, UNC, Virginia, and our Cards. Virginia Tech seems to have jumped back in the conversation. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Cuse and Notre Dame have strong years too.

The Big Ten is looking like they’re struggling. They have some bad losses and some pretty garbage teams at the bottom. Ohio State, Maryland, and Michigan State look like contenders. Penn State and Michigan look pretty strong. Is Indiana for real? We find out agains Florida State next week. After those teams it looks fuzzy.

The Big 12 is looking pretty good so far. They actually don’t have a team currently with more than 1 loss. Now it is only November, I see Texas Tech, Kansas, and Baylor all as national players. The other teams all look pretty good too. Top to bottom probably the most quality. Iowa State as Steve Prohm are always a tough out.

The SEC actually is looking pretty good again, no on the ACC level but a good conference. I think Kentucky, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi State all look like tournament teams. Vanderbilt hasn’t played anyone yet, but it seems Stackhouse has gotten their ship right again and I love seeing him coach Pippen Jr. (I live near Nash so I’ve gotten to see them)

1. ACC 63-9 (88%)
2. Big 12 42-7 (86%)
3. SEC 63-15 (81%)
4. PAC 12 53-13 (80%)
5. Big East 44-12 (79%)
6. Big Ten 58-16 (78%)
no

Oh Lord, can we wait until the Cardinals beat them for once before starting this kind of thread? The SEC being weaker didn't do much for the football team the other day. Chapman you are a good poster but this is a bad post.

Last edited:
Oh Lord, can we wait until the Cardinals beat them for once before starting this kind of thread? The SEC being weaker didn't do much for the football team the other day. Chapman you are a good poster but this is a bad post.
Basketball is different...UK may very well beat UL (to me that is not our whole season, to them it is) but playing in such a weak conference helps you in your seeding. If you blow through the weak SEC and get a good seeding its to their benefit..of course they'll flame out as usual but none the less.

Big 10 is probably the best this year.
Really because our top teams are down. UNC and UVA don’t look like ranked teams thus far. Duke? Hit or miss, they’ll be good but inconsistent with freshman.

It’s pretty much us as the only title contenders in the conference. The 1 seed looks like it will be ours for the taking.

Whoa, the calendar says Dec 6th. The ACC will come alive. I'm not hanging any banners yet.

SEC has been a lot worse although the SEC is coming off a strong season last year. The conference really lacks depth in regards to really good coaches. Outside of Calipari and Pearl, I would hire any of the other SEC Coaches if I was running a major Division 1 athletic program. Maybe Barnes, but I would have to be desperate. And don't get me started on Tom Crean, the dude is a total weirdo. ACC sets the bar for college basketball and it has been that way for a long time.

I’m thinking back to how crazy last year was, we lost to a awful Pitt team on the road, the turn around and beat a darn good UNC team in Chapel Hill.

Big 10 is probably the best this year.
After the B1G ACC challenge, I have changed my mind and I agree with you. The B1G is the deepest conference in college basketball this year so therfore they're the best conference this year. They proved it on the court.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
Sagarin now has Auburn #8 (would translate to a 2-seed). UK 19 (5-seed). Tennessee 21 (6-seed). LSU 24 (also a 6-seed). Arkansas 30 (8 seed) and Florida 34 (9 seed). Mississippi State 47 (on the bubble, 12-seed). That’s exactly half (7 teams)of the conference projecting to make the NCAA tourney, so not really very weak at all.

Today the ACC has 6 teams in Sagarin’s top 50, so both conferences have similar depth. The big difference is 5 of those 6 are looking like top 16 seeds, compared to just one for the SEC.

The SEC was much worse when UK was down under Gillespie. I vaguely remember one year where no one was ranked at all for most of the year, with LSU getting ranked barely, and rarely.

I think our league has a lot of young talent, and ACC teams will be a lot better in March. Including us... I think some of our bench players will develop during the year. At least that's my hope.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT